• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2010

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm...Pretty boring numbers. I'll be back in an hour or so. I expect much stupidity for my entertainment. Don't let me down GAF.

fernoca

mugurumakensei said:
Confirmed Shipment of 1.1 million by January. It likely sold nowhere near that much.
But to Sega it's all that matters, since they were the ones that announced it and were more than happy with it...and more willing to publish a possible sequel which is all I want.

Taurus

Bombanetta.

2myud6b.jpg

Too bad they can't blame Wii for this... or can they? :eek:

ChuBoi

Banned
mugurumakensei said:
It was shipped. And shipment numbers mean essentially nothing.... 360 shipped 10 million units long before it sold 10 million units.

Shucks :-(

Well its gotta be around the 100K ballpark; the last time I played in Jan, the leaderboards were about 80-90K+ strong. But many could be rentals as well.

Kenka

Really impressed by how slow this thread is going. Are we absolutely sure that there are Wii shortages in the US ?

I mean, last month numbers should an indication that the supply is constraint but somehow, I think those numbers aren't that shocking.

Dabanton

Jive Turkey said:
Hmm...Pretty boring numbers. I'll be back in an hour or so. I expect much stupidity for my entertainment. Don't let me down GAF.

Nothing much to meltdown on this month.

Usually these threads would be on 12-15 pages by now.

Tiktaalik

Not too much to be said that isn't said every NPD. That is that the legs on the usual crew of Wii Fit and Mario Kart are just astounding. They're the absolute go to games for Wii buyers.

fernoca said:
But to Sega it's all that matters, since they were the ones that announced it and were more than happy with it...and more willing to publish a possible sequel which is all I want.

Sega's smart enough to know retailers would be extremely hesitant to stock the sequel if sell-through to customers was low. Then again, it is Sega.

VALIS said:
JAN 09 / JAN 10

Wii: 679,200 / 465,800
NDS: 510,800 / 422,200
X360: 309,000 / 332,800
PS3: 203,200 / 276,900
PSP: 172,300 / 100,100
PS2: 101,200 / 41,600
Good to see 360 and the PS3 do better than last year.

Rolf NB

Duke Togo said:
We could do that! We could also take veiled shots at the Wii or something too. Got any dramatic GIFs laying around?
I came unprepared, need to improvise.
Going with current themes of the conversation, I can offer "Man, the way Bayonetta sold you might think it was a Wii exclusive."

VALIS

Karma said:
Best January for the 360 ever. Hard to believe after 5 years.

That is odd. No price drop, the only big game is a sequel... *shrug* Bodes well for them this year, probably.

DMeisterJ

Banned
akilshohen said:
this doesn't deserve a 500 error :lol

It's why they've stopped now. Boring month is boring. Next month will be okay with SO4, WKC, and Heavy Rain coming out, which means that people will be talking about the games either way if they do good or bad, and the surprise at the PS3 beating/not beating the PS3 from the two groups. Can't wait!

But that data comes out FFXIII week, so I'll probably be knee deep playing that.

NemesisPrime said:
That one is sooooo awesome.

Sony is in some pain in the USA.

/queue "But Europe/Japan!!!!"

And Wii sliding down a lot. Makes me wonder how arc/natal are going to do.

You mean PSP/PS2 no? PS3 is fine (and up healthily YOY)

operon

Microsoft has responded to tonight’s NPD figures, and calls it “a great kick off for what is slated to be the biggest – and best – year in Xbox history”.

Starting with Mass Effect 2 taking the number 2 spot on the software charts with 572K units sold for Xbox 360, Modern Warfare sold 326K units on 360, Darksiders 171K, and Army of Two: The 40th Day moved 171K units on the system.
Here are some more figures from Microsoft:
US installed base lead over the PS3 by nearly eight million units.
With January 2010 console sales topping 333K units in the US, contributing to $313 million in total spend on Xbox 360 hardware, software and accessories last month.
Consumers spent more than $158 million on Xbox 360 games alone last month, driving our industry-leading software attach rate of 8.8.
In January 2010, Xbox 360 owners spent $150.5 million on third-party games, more than competing next-generation consoles.
The Xbox LIVE community now tops 23 million, making it the biggest social network connected to the TV.
Additionally, 2.3 million Xbox LIVE members set a record last month, marking the most concurrent users online at any given time and reaffirming Nielsen’s findings that Xbox 360 is the most-used console on the market
Source vg247.com

[Nintex]

Hellsing321 said:
Wait, people are actually surprised that Bayonetta didn't chart?
No, but I think Kobayashi killed the genre with the terrible DMC4 and Team Ninja put the final nail in the coffin with Ninja Gaiden 2.

farnham

Banned
Wow @ army of two.. looking at the March 08 NPDs

the first one sold 800k on PS3 and 360 (360 600k PS3 the rest)

the sequel didnt even do half of that

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Jtyettis said:
I've got 6.156 million for MW2 36 versus 4.866 million for NSMBW. Looks like Geoff K wins after all.

I wouldn't right it off yet, by the time a new COD is out NSMBW will probably still be selling, this could a marathon this one.

Curufinwe

Hellsing321 said:
Wait, people are actually surprised that Bayonetta didn't chart?

Kind of. The game it's most like, Devil May Cry 4 did a lot better in its first month. But DMC does have much greater name recognition.

TOP-SELLING SOFTWARE - FEBRUARY 2008

Title / Publisher / Release Date / Units
1) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare* (360) / Activision / 7-Nov 296.2K
2) Devil May Cry 4* (360) / Capcom 8-Feb / 295.2k
3) Wii Play w/ Remote* (Wii) / Nintendo / 7-Feb / 289.7K
4) Devil May Cry 4* (PS3) / Capcom / 8-Feb / 233.5K

So, since Bayonetta didn't make the NPD top ten, is it time to finally admit that hardcore games don't sell on the 360 or PS3 because this niche Platinum Games title didn't sell?

I think it clearly is.

FrankT

TehSw1tch said:
I wish people would get this right.

Geoff K said by the end of January per his twitter last month for the 360 SKU alone. It's pretty easy actually. I don't really care all that much but the numbers do speak.

Seriously, what the heck is wrong with America? You had built up so much good will with us Sony faithful, yet now you let us down by buying more Xboxes? I'm going to go smash something right now, because I might write something down now that I might regret doing later. PEACE.

DMeisterJ

Banned
In January 2010, Xbox 360 owners spent $150.5 million on third-party games, more than competing next-generation consoles.

So this means that the Wii sold more 3rd party software than the 360 and PS3, no?

So here's some fuzzy math.

If the 360 has an 8 million lead in the US over PS3, and PS3 has a , what, 3 million lead on 360 in Japan, that would mean that the console sales are pretty much dead even for Europe and the rest of the world?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Jtyettis said:
Geoff K said by the end of January per his twitter last month for the 360 SKU alone. It's pretty easy actually. I don't really care all that much but the numbers do speak.

Ahh, that fucked up my post up then, I didn't release there was a time limit set.

Top Bottom