• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For March 2017 [Up2: Year to date charts, platform specific charts]

Ubisoft has made what like 7 new ips this gen already I'm probably missing some its insane

Yep, I saw a list if EA Games recently, and every one was sequels or yearly games, now I know why i don't buy EA anymore. At least Ubisoft seems to be trying to foster new IP's, it will pay off for them. Why EA and Activision largely don't will catch up to them imo, New IP's are essential for growth.

One side effect of having Nintendo back in the game is that NPD threads get Sony vs Nintendo fanboy bickering. Nice to see a new dynamic in these threads. Sony vs Microsoft was getting old

NPD doesn't track bundles games....so Uc4 not being in the top 20 is misleading.

i'm aware of that.
and other people say including bundle sales is misleading in discussions, because you don't know if people bought the console for that specific game, just because it's added value, or there is not other option at all.

AC: Unity sold over 2 million additional units just on Xbox One in the US thanks to bundling madness
and 2 million units is a huge number, that can make you jump in the chart from out of top 20 to top 5

this is also one reason, why the NPD group is putting the rankings at Dollar volume instead of unit counts
best is to have both, ofc units and revenue for a clear picture

Welfare

Yea but horizon still outsold uc4, it's their biggest PS4 launch (not counting bundled units).

I'm impressed, even I didn't think it would do that well out the gate. They had a strong, well targeted campaign.

That is a really good result.

Also spells good news for when God of War launches. That will be huge.

Yeah, if GoW can maintain the same momentum that its E3 reveal did for the game all the way to the final game (being good), it'll do very good.

Yea but horizon still outsold uc4, it's their biggest PS4 launch (not counting bundled units).

I'm impressed, even I didn't think it would do that well out the gate. They had a strong, well targeted campaign.

UC4 828k retail + digital launch sales are below HZD >640k retail + digital
but less than UC4 879k retail including bundles + digital!?
that is at least what i get from this
so fairly close

if we want to get nitpicky UC4 was 3 weeks of tracking and HZD was 5 weeks of tracking, tho
still very, very good results for Horizon

ethomaz

Banned
I forgot to say...

I believe due Switch we will see a slow down in digital grow this year with retail taking a bit of what they lose last year.

GameStop is probably praying for Switch success... it is good for retail.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
You know that's a good question, but honestly I don't think they've had a single AAA bomb this generation. They've had a few underperform at launch (Syndicate and Watch Dogs 2) but they've also noted that those games had strong legs and ended up successful.

I don't think they've had a single big budget AAA game this gen we could classify as a "bomb"

Did you know Ubisoft published Steep a few months back? I didnt even see it mentioned on this page and I don't think it charted either.

Edit: Seems it exceeded Ubis expectations.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The Zelda Vs Horizon wars are still in full swing I see.

Truly one of the more baffling rivalries I've witnessed as of late in the gaming landscape. Open-world, competing platforms, released around the same time...

431af246-5bb9-44c5-ae34-ff5a81a9a120.gif

Hey, its NPD thread. It might sound messed up but the NPD, sales threads have been kind of dull. Its nice to see some action, lol.

It's confirmed as much as it ever will be. Harker is as legit an insider/leaker as you will find on here.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess. Just don't take Harker's posts at face value when they confirm your biases in the future.

Yup. I mean I'm sure we all greatly appreciate the official NPD guys in the threads giving input, answering what questions they can, but that doesnt negate the other folks like Harker thats been here over the months, years.

What I find incredible is how Switch was carried by one outstanding game. Talk about a system seller. I won't be touching the console till either MH or JP 3rd party get on board (vita stalwarts).

Yup.
Somewhat curious to see to what extent the Switch cannibalises/kills off the 3DS over the coming period, which was having something of a mini-revival of late.

This is my question as well.

Also curious to see if PS4, XBO sales go down now that the Switch is out. Might give an idea of whose buying, not buying what.

Did you know Ubisoft published Steep a few months back? I didnt even see it mentioned on this page and I don't think it charted either.

Edit: Seems it exceeded Ubis expectations.

You already addressed it but Steep actually beat expectations. That was Ubisoft Annecy which is a pretty small team. Steep wasn't a very expensive game to make.

Annecy usually is involved in support / DLC for Ubi games. Steep is pretty much the only large scale project they've done themselves and that still was a team of say around 100ish

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yep, I saw a list if EA Games recently, and every one was sequels or yearly games, now I know why i don't buy EA anymore. At least Ubisoft seems to be trying to foster new IP's, it will pay off for them. Why EA and Activision largely don't will catch up to them imo, New IP's are essential for growth.

Ubisoft proudly announced that they will be releasing less new IP going forward: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1342507

Saty

Not that i know numbers but i'm not sure how successful Syndicate and WD2 turned out to be after their slow start. If they broke even or made money past the 'opportunity cost' (though obviously they were also going to make another AC and WD).

Maybe Harker can shine a light at how Ubisoft views the performance of these games internally.

What the heck? That's crazy. I never remotely expected it to outdo UC4.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Whew.

Really interested in seeing how God of War and Spider-Man perform.

God of War is an interesting candidate to me because design wise, Horizon is very topical. It's an open world action-adventure RPG with a ton of a content and good combat.

Meanwhile, God of War is a... semi open(?) game in a genre that hasn't done well in quite some time.

I wouldn't expect it to tank, but I think that might take off less well than Horizon.

Spider-Man seems more straightforward to matching today's market being, presumably, a regular open world action-adventure game.

Ubisoft proudly announced that they will be releasing less new IP going forward: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1342507

Well they did a whole bunch this gen so you can't blame them .

God of War is an interesting candidate to me because design wise, Horizon is very topical. It's an open world action-adventure RPG with a ton of a content and good combat.

Meanwhile, God of War is a... semi open(?) game in a genre that hasn't done well in quite some time.

I wouldn't expect it to tank, but I think that might take off less well than Horizon.

Spider-Man seems more straightforward to matching today's market being, presumably, a regular open world action-adventure game.

What genre is GOW again ?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
there also gaffers that said the contrary, that a guerrilla game had zero chances vs a establlished IP+ console launch.

Exactly, so I dont get whats going on. It was a 2 way street.

Thats also why I'm so glad both did well. You would have thought it would have calmed things down but thats not the case. Oh well.

Uncharted didn't even do 1 mil..y'all will find anything man

Reasons, the reasons that we're here.....

Digital rate on Switch will never grow up in my opinion because there is no incentive for a portable download ~10-20GB games with suck limited memory storage.

- If you download Zelda you already used all your storage... so you can't download another game.
- Even if you change for super expensive 128GB SD you are still limited for 5-8 games.
- It is a Portable so you won't be in places that allow download 10-20GB games.

Think about how limited the digital option is on Switch... now going retail you can have how many games you want (they are really small) and Switch to play them any time without need any download (it is what Portables do).

Switch will have even lower digital ratio than Wii U... it will probably be less than 10% forever.

That was a given right when Nintendo showed the system... there are even a lot of threads here talking how Nintendo probably killed digital on Switch.

The default storage is the same on switch as wii u and an SD card is a damn sight more practical than a great big external hard drive

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well they did a whole bunch this gen so you can't blame them .

What genre is GOW again ?
I would still consider it a cinematic back and slash title even if that falls in the greater action-adventure genre.

Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, and God of War I'd all put as part of that.

Even with God of War itself, Ascension showed very anemic interest even if we view it as a filler game despite being made with a three year development cycle by Santa Monica itself.

Now, maybe enough has changed to make this really succeed, but I don't think that's a foregone conclusion.

Megatron

Eh --- Foootball season is over and NBA is currently in playoffs (and many people don't follow basketball until the playoffs). Not too surprising.

I am talking about the cumulative last 12 month chart. Both games released less than 12 months ago, so those should be their total sales

ethomaz

Banned
The default storage is the same on switch as wii u and an SD card is a damn sight more practical than a great big external hard drive
Wii U is not portable... Wii U games are way smaller too.

Physical is basically the option for Switch.

You are looking at 1 game in the internal 32GB for Switch vs 4-5 games in the internal 32GB of Wii U... 128GB SD is a hell of expensive and it won't resolve the whole situation because it will increase to 6-7 games only.

While that you can put dozen of Switch retail games in your pocket or bag and go anywhere.

e-gamer

i'm aware of that.
and other people say including bundle sales is misleading in discussions, because you don't know if people bought the console for that specific game, just because it's added value, or there is not other option at all.

AC: Unity sold over 2 million additional units just on Xbox One in the US thanks to bundling madness
and 2 million units is a huge number, that can make you jump in the chart from out of top 20 to top 5

this is also one reason, why the NPD group is putting the rankings at Dollar volume instead of unit counts
best is to have both, ofc units and revenue for a clear picture

I think it's because NPD track sales and bundled games are not. It helps to sell hardware on indeed but the game is free.

Man judging by the 19 million YouTube views Mario Odyssey has, it's going to be a monster.

Sales for this game is gonna be huge for the holidays.

ethomaz

Banned
Lego city 22gigs on wii u 8 gigs on switch

You were saying?

Also give it a year and bigger SD cards will be dirt cheap
Lego is a weird case if true because no way WiiU is using bigger assets than Switch.

It is like having PS3 games using high assets than PS4.

Digital rate on Switch will never grow up in my opinion because there is no incentive for a portable download ~10-20GB games with suck limited memory storage.

- If you download Zelda you already used all your storage... so you can't download another game.
- Even if you change for super expensive 128GB SD you are still limited for 5-8 games.
- It is a Portable so you won't be in places that allow download 10-20GB games.

Think about how limited the digital option is on Switch... now going retail you can have how many games you want (they are really small) and Switch to play them any time without need any download (it is what Portables do).

Switch will have even lower digital ratio than Wii U... it will probably be less than 10% forever.

That was a given right when Nintendo showed the system... there are even a lot of threads here talking how Nintendo probably killed digital on Switch.

The digital rate on the Switch will be better than the WiiU. The market is becoming more accepting to digital. If a shitty digital platform like WiiU can do 10-15%, the Switch with an actual account system is not going to do less.

I know this is crazy for people to understand but compression exists and buying an SD card is not a big deal for the average consumer. I genuinely dunno why people think this is a big issue. Nothing is stopoing Nintendo from releasing larger storage models down the line either.

Man judging by the 19 million YouTube views Mario Odyssey has, it's going to be a monster.

Sales for this game is gonna be huge for the holidays.
Idk how much Switches will be out by November, but could Super Mario Odyssey pull a few million in november?

I'm not sure what the sales are or other Mario games at release.

Lego is a weird case if true because no way WiiU is using bigger assets than Switch.

It is like having PS3 games using high assets than PS4.

It means you shouldn't make blanket statements that arent always true, there's plenty of games that arent huge in size, i doubt mk8d is much bigger than mk8 was, i cant imagine Arms will take up much space either

Idk how much Switches will be out by November, but could Super Mario Odyssey pull a few million in november?

I'm not sure what the sales are or other Mario games at release.

No. Mario isn't that front loaded besides the first two New Super Mario Bros games. I think the Wii game did 3 million in its first month. Edit: 1.41 million in November 2009 and 2.82 million in December 2009.

It could do close to what Zelda did this month I think, and then it will have fantastic, magnificent legs.

I need to check what Galaxy did at release but I think it was around a million. Edit: It did 1.12 million in November 2007 and an additional 1.40 million in December 2007.

No. Mario isn't that front loaded besides the first two New Super Mario Bros games. I think the Wii game did 3 million in its first month. Edit: 1.41 million in November 2009 and 2.82 million in December 2009.

It could do close to what Zelda did this month I think, and then it will have fantastic, magnificent legs.

I need to check what Galaxy did at release but I think it was around a million. Edit: It did 1.12 million in November 2007 and an additional 1.40 million in December 2007.

Cool. So I should expect around 1 million.

Top Bottom