• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

Insane Metal

Gold Member
So. The number are actually pretty good for the PS3. WIth no Blockbuster to sell, sold almost 500k... In the predictions thread I bet it´d sell 370k.

Of course it´s behind every other console yet, but it´s a good number nonetheless.

Kosma

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, Killzone 2 will be big. Easily marketable, a dramatic visual style and all that hitmaking stuff. The rest, lol. PS3 owners.

MGS 4 will be the same. But not as big.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
GhaleonEB said:
Yup. Imagine if they do that before GTA IV.
I was thinking the same. I expect Sony to drop it again around March too. Since well, If GTA does come out then. Sony will easily have its strongest month of the year then in terms of releases(GTA, MGS4, and Home). Which can possible chance the situation a bit. Of course MS can easily counter by dropping thier systems too. Personally, I am expecting MS To just remove the arcade and Drop the prem down to the current arcade price or 299. Something like that.

Then again on GTA, I am sure MS is working on that exculsive marketing campaign too since they seem quite buddy with Rockstar after thier 50mil loan to them.

Mojovonio

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
Nintendo is not the issue for Sony.

How can they even think about competing against the Wii when they are having trouble with a system that last generation they utterly demolished?

So you think it might be Haze or KZ2?

I think KZ2 will do quite well, as long as Sony markets it right.

VALIS

NeoUltima said:
Holy shit at all the Ps3 trolling....Is it like this every month? Jesus, it sold higher than GAF and the so-called "analysts" predicted. Not to mention, its software sales are in line with the 360s when you take userbase into consideration.

And my dick is as big as Shaquille O'Neal's when you take body size into consideration.

Jiggy

The two portables: 2,097,000
The three current-gen consoles: 2,217,000

Well, we're not quite there yet, but almost! And at least DS and PSP are outselling their red-headed stepsiblings, always a joy to see for a diehard portable gamer such as myself. :D (Nothing against redheads, I actually love red hair, it's a figure of speech, etc.) DS especially should get a standing ovation for simply decimating its much less cool Nintendo counterpart.

As for the DS software question that I kept seeing as I read the first fifteen pages, about why so many people are buying DSes yet are there no games in the top ten...

Well, there was one post pointing out that there are bundles going on with Zelda or Nintendogs, which might account for something, but I think it's mostly because the strength of the DS lies in its overall library--loads of choice and tons of variety would be the best way to sum up the system, as far as I'm concerned, and sales could be spread over many games. There aren't many "killer apps" on DS, but even among the ones that exist, most of them either have two versions (Pokemon D/P), even more versions (Nintendogs), or a sequel (Brain Age, Brain Age 2), which could play a strong role in preventing them from breaking the top ten since they're literally competing with themselves. Nothing to worry about, really.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Who honestly thought that one day we'd see a month where DS hit 1.53 million in sales?

Remember those days when DS was released, how much mockery it got? :lol

tak

schuelma said:
I don't think there are a lot of "loyal" PS2 owners. If that theory was correct, Playstation would never have been able to capture the market share it did. Very very few people are devoted to a brand.
oh, I think you're completly correct. Loyal is really the wrong term, but I think a lot of people will buy what they're familiar when given a choice between two products, especially when their experience was positive.

oo Kosma oo said:
MGS 4 will be the same. But not as big.

I think MGS4 will sell to fans, but I'm not convinced it's going to attract many new ones. Look at any thread following a new trailer. By page 10, it's a mess of intricate story discussion deciphering. It's very daunting.

squicken said:
Someone give Altogether Andrews a fanboy phoenix down.

Sony hardware and software rocks, that's not the problem. It's the userbase that sucks ass.

It kinda shocks me that Sony was not able to engineer a PS3 God of War onto the shelves yet, or even in the near future. That to me just stinks of total fuck-up and another golden opportunity squandered.

vilmer_

JB1981 said:
Dude Raider, bro. No one cares anymore. The market has changed.

Yep the market is filled with teenagers and college kids who just want to shoot shit and talk shit online. Sad actually.

jacobs34

AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, Killzone 2 will be big. Easily marketable, a dramatic visual style and all that hitmaking stuff. The rest, lol. PS3 owners.

Don't forget about GT5, if that game doesn't sell... ugh... I give up on Sony 1st party.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MEGA SUMMARY NUMBER POST
All data here is legal. Sources are mostly GAF numbers, but include sporadic numbers from IGN, 1up, GameDaily.biz, Joystiiiiiiq, and Beyond3d (Not the leaked numbers, though)

Numbers since Wii/PS3 Launch

DS 8,476,743
Wii 6,019,848
X360 5,001,718
PS2 4,902,772
PSP 4,192,102
PS3 2,446,786

2007 Numbers:

DS 5,960,150
Wii 4,939,678
X360 3,358,832
PS2 2,844,765
PSP 2,762,920
PS3 1,759,104

Unfortunate I lost a hard drive a while ago so I don't have the numbers since 360 launch or further back. I haven't reconstructed anything from before November 2006 yet.

Million-sellers this year based on NON-LEAKED information:
Halo 3 (4,120,800)
Wii Play (3,033,700)
Call of Duty 4 Xbox 360 (1,570,000)
Mario Party 8 (1,250,862+ does not include this month, which is probably around 100-150k)
Madden Xbox 360 (1,138,954+ does not include this month, which is probably just under 100k)
Super Mario Galaxy (1,120,000)
Assassin's Creed Xbox 360 (980,000)--I know it's not a million, but very close.

Based on NON-LEAKED information, Madden PS3 and Call of Duty 4 are pretty much tied for the top two PS3 sellers at ~450k each. Madden is a bit lower but we don't have numbers for this month so it probably has a slight edge on CoD4 all told.

Kittonwy

Banned
Mojovonio said:
Sony really needs God of War.

Sony could have had God of War 2 on the PS3 but Santa Monica decided to put it on the PS2, and they could have started back in March 05, way before Naughty Dog, Insomniac and Sucker Punch even released their last PS2 games. Worst fucking mistake as a console maker on the first-party software side and a fucking slap in the face for early adopters especially when eventually Santa Monica will have to appeal to some of us to buy their fucking game.
Indifferent2.gif

Shamrock

Banned
Scotch said:
Unreal Tournament 3 (PC) - 34k
I knew it bombed, but holy cow.

Worst part for Epic is they probably fucked themselves over on the 360 cash cow also. For whatever reason games that are ported later never really sell well. GTA, MGS, Half Life 2, FEAR, etc. All games that end up getting the port 3-12 months later are never chart busters.

So basically Epic is screwed on PC, they are screwed on PS3 because they don't buy games, and the one platform that sell's ungodly amounts of games they decided to screw over and piss off their userbase by releasing on PC/PS3 first.

Surfheart

Really happy for COD4, SMG and Ass Creed.
I feel really sorry for Rachet and Uncharted because they are awesome awesome games that deserved better.

Opus Angelorum said:
Nintendo is not the issue for Sony.

How can they even think about competing against the Wii when they are having trouble with a system that last generation they utterly demolished?

... That's one hell of a setup.

P90

oo Kosma oo said:
I think people are really writing off the BIG PS3 projects off to soon. MGS4, FFXIII and Killzone 2 will all sell well, because they are already hyped and in genres that people care about.

If MGS4 and FF XIII don't go multi-platform, Konami and S-E won't make the $$ to recoup the development cost. The PS3 just won't have the market footprint for those games to sell what they need to.

I dont think PS3 will be 1ST or 2nd this gen, i'll likely pick one up at some point, its a shame people cant enjoy thier consoles because it gets outsold by the competitors.

FF_VIII

Banned
Ben Sones said:
Ouch? Seriously? Those are great numbers for a game that came out at the end of the month and costs $170. That's $64 million worth of Rock Bands.

PS3 numbers not the 360s. PS3 numbers are abysmal.

lockload said:
There were adverts for it all over the palce for it on tv in the uk but it still only made #28 in the charts
Which UK do you live in? The one on the north of mainland Europe? If so, then please stop lying.
SONY did put SOME advertising for their games (finally), but it still pales in comparison to the ammount of advertising Wii and 360 get.

Nolan.

AltogetherAndrews said:
That's not a bright note! That's a tarlike depressing note from hell!

I was impressed with those two for some reason, they could be better but it's a glimmer.

Liara T'Soni said:
People are bull******** with this RROD crap....nobody gives a ****! Is it even an issue anymore? I haven't been hearing too much about it...except by trolls on GAF that is. The problem seems all but fixed far as I can tell.

What lonely, damp basement do you live in? I really like my 360 - if I didn't I would've just sold it after my first replacement - but there's no denying that that machine has/had big problems.

Gazunta

Whoever finds the November NPD figures of Viva Pinata: Party Animals or The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night gets their name in the credits of the next game I work on. GO.

shintoki said:
I was thinking the same. I expect Sony to drop it again around March too. Since well, If GTA does come out then. Sony will easily have its strongest month of the year then in terms of releases(GTA, MGS4, and Home).

Bringing out MGS4 the same month as GTA would be a disaster of epic proportions.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
tak said:
oh, I think you're completly correct. Loyal is really the wrong term, but I think a lot of people will buy what they're familiar when given a choice between two products, especially when their experience was positive.

Ok, but I still say a lot of those PS2 owners chose it because it was A- cheap and B- was the definitive sports and GTA console.

That ain't happening this generation

Mojovonio

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Sony could have had God of War 2 on the PS3 but Santa Monica decided to put it on the PS2, and they could have started back in March 05, way before Naughty Dog, Insomniac and Sucker Punch even released their last PS2 games. Worst fucking mistake as a console maker on the first-party software side and a fucking slap in the face for early adopters especially when eventually Santa Monica will have to appeal to some of us to buy their fucking game.
Indifferent2.gif

That's exactly what I said.

Even if they just upped the resolution of the PS2 version, it would sell PS3s.

Now, they have to wait till 2009.

smurfx

get some go again
good numbers all around. sony didn't do as good as they probably wanted but it's still close to 500k ps3's sold and that's better than their usual crappy numbers and that helps blu ray sales.

Kosma

Banned
Frillen said:
Ratchet only 67k? :lol at the "It was only out for 4 days" guys from last month.

Frillen you and your kind really sicken me, you're such a freaking fanboy you just love to see a good game fail. Really disgusting shit. Do you see anyboy laughing at the Zack & Wiki numbers? No. You know why? Because everyone wanted it to succeed, as it was a good game.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I think MGS4 will sell to fans, but I'm not convinced it's going to attract many new ones. Look at any thread following a new trailer. By page 10, it's a mess of intricate story discussion deciphering. It's very daunting.

Shit you may be right, I'm not a fan so I ordered MGS2 and 3 for the story before 4 hits.

GhaleonEB said:
Microsoft's announcement was both for world-wide, and included a week after the NPD numbers. A million is pretty reasonable.

Lets hope. I'm trying to see this thing do 2 mill at least. I would love for it to blow up like Gears or something, but, I guess it's just too rpg'ed. Either way, it should beat Oblivion at least.

Raw64life

amtentori said:
Can someone post all the sales collected so far?

top 10 plus the rest we know about...

360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 1 1.57 million
WII SUPER MARIO GALAXY NINTENDO OF AMERICA NOV 2007 EVERYONE (E) 2 1.12 million
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED UBISOFT NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 3 980K
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 4 967K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA FEB 2007 EVERYONE (E) 5 564K
360 MASS EFFECT MICROSOFT (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 6 473K
PS3 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 7 444K
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 8 426K
360 HALO 3 MICROSOFT (CORP) SEP 2007 MATURE (M) 9 387K
PS3 ASSASSIN'S CREED UBISOFT NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 10 377K

-----

360 ROCK BAND (T) 312K

WII MARIO AND SONIC AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES (E) 330K