• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

Zzoram

SRG01 said:
Who are you kidding? The costs for blue-diodes and BD drives have fallen significantly, as have Cell production costs. The chasis (including cooling) and supporting power electronics contribute to a significant chunk of the costs.

Seriously, I was surprised when the teardowns showed a copper heatpipe.

The 360 has a copper heatpipe, but it clearly wasn't enough in their case.

Loudninja

Kabuki Waq said:
Uncharted deserved so much better :( GOTY for me still tho.

If i was a ps3 owner i would feel extremely dejected right now.

how can ppl call Cod4 mindless when compared to ratchet? ratchet had ZERO challenge, no enemy AI and had no multiplayer. fucking idiots. Game was still good tho.

Wow....

SRG01

Opus Angelorum said:
I believe so.

And here's the kicker: Uncharted was reviewed better than Heavenly Sword. It's one of the many examples this gen where review score does not correlate with sales.

Odysseus

Banned
wow @ how long it took to catch up to this thread

nds - as i said so many pages ago, w.o.w.
wii - spectacular, as expected. imagine if they actually had consoles in stores!
360 - what i expected for a november that stretched a week beyond black friday. good numbers.
psp - a bit below what i had, but we can't all be the ds.
ps2 - still holding on!
ps3 - a tick north of my expectations.

software.

wow @ cod4 on 360. great numbers on ps3, too.
galaxy obviously caught on better here than japan.
assassin's creed. bleh. ubisoft. oh well.

i can't say i agree with the "poor marketing" complaints surrounding uncharted. it might just be the television i'm watching, but i swear the only commercials i see are ps3 and uncharted. mostly ps3. conversely, i haven't seen anything at all for mass effect. not really all that much for 360, to be honest. but your television habits may cause your mileage to vary.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
orio7 said:
Why do people expect PS3 SW to sell the same as 360 SW? 360 has 3 times the HW sold so PS3 SW is pretty much in line with 360 SW now.

how well games sell on each platform = which platform gets more games in future

cold hard cash doesn't care that 360 had a year advantage.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Segata Sanshiro said:
I don't see Ghost Squad in that top ten at all. These numbers must be cooked.

Console yourself with the great Mario and Sonic sales. That 4 million across both platforms is in reach IMO.

SRG01

Zzoram said:
The 360 has a copper heatpipe, but it clearly wasn't enough in their case.

The PS3 heatpipe is also ginormous. :lol Yeah, I probably should've said something about size too.

Zzoram

orio7 said:
Naruto
Ace Combat 6
Blue Dragon
Eternal Sonata

all bombed on 360.

So just because it's Playstation it should magically have 3 times the attach ratio?

Dead Rising
Splinter Cell Double Agent
Saint's Row
Oblivion
Gears of War
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter

some timed exclusives by default, but did way better than anything PS3 had if you compare first year to first year and exclude launch games.

Nolan. said:
Which only really holds true if you stare at her wallpapers and paintings, to me she didn't look that hot in the actual game.

face was pretty ugly as well. Uncharted was the second coming of Great Adventure games IMO. It was 10 hours of pure awesomeness. I saw the kick ass commercials a lot too. I have no idea why every ps3 owner in the world did not buy this game.

avaya

There must be a good 500k PS3s of that 2.4mn LTD number which are for Blu-ray exclusive or near exclusive use. Those first party sales are shocking.

JeStaH

SRG01 said:
Who are you kidding? The costs for blue-diodes and BD drives have fallen significantly, as have Cell production costs. The chasis (including cooling) and supporting power electronics contribute to a significant chunk of the costs.

Seriously, I was surprised when the teardowns showed a copper heatpipe.

What? Is there a blu-ray player that is cheaper than PS3 right now? If so how long has that been the case?

If you had a choice between a Blu-Ray standalone and a PS3 that can do so much more for the same price? Not to mention if you are a dad or a mom and know that you can use it for both Hi-Def movies and games?

What would be the price difference before you would actually choose a standalone over a PS3 ? 50? 100?

Anyone that thinks that all PS3 owners are gamers are the ones kidding themselves.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Nolan. said:
Which only really holds true if you stare at her wallpapers and paintings, to me she didn't look that hot in the actual game.

Thong with some liberal flappings occasionally covering her buttocks, vs. really bland and boring jeans. Oh, and also, female vs. male.

Mario and Sonic at the Olympics - 330k
Lego Star Wars - 180k
High School Musical - 180k

vs.

Zack & Wiki - 35k

Another victory for shitty shovelware.

tehbear

orio7 said:
Naruto
Ace Combat 6
Blue Dragon
Eternal Sonata

all bombed on 360.

So just because it's Playstation it should magically have 3 times the attach ratio?

This reminds that I love buying games that bomb. Folklore, AC6, ES, PGR4, Uncharted, HS, and Ratchet. Geez I am totally not on the right bandwagon!

Dabanton

harSon said:
Epic is pretty damn stupid for alienating the Xbox 360, especially after Gears of War sold 4-5 million. The game may do decently on the Playstation 3, but I have no faith after these last few months of software sales (I'm not part of the problem!).

I wonder how Mark Rein feels about now

As i don't see how they can have a turnaround on UT it's bombed on PC, the PS3 version will no doubt undersell and then they expect 360 owners to buy it when they deign to release it next year? The game will be old hat by then. Good luck Epic, a Gears 2 announcement would be good right about now...

Zerodoppler said:
Lego Star Wars - 180k

vs.

Zack & Wiki - 35k

I wouldn't really call the first two games shovelware. Shovelware is more like Cruis'n.
Also did you really expect Z-Dub to outsell MARIO and SONIC? I mean come on.
People need to be realistic with their expectations. BTW Z & W rocks.

Ryudo said:
COD4 outselling SMG = :lol

I never expected that to happen.

Mario did 1 mil. Not sure why anyone's laughing at that number.

avaya said:
There must be a good 500k PS3s of that 2.4mn LTD number which are for Blu-ray exclusive or near exclusive use. Those first party sales are shocking.

Sony themselves stated that 40% of PS3 owners use it to play Blu-Ray movies.

Zerodoppler said:
Lego Star Wars - 180k

vs.

Zack & Wiki - 35k

Yeah, what's with these highly marketable titles beating the Anti-Sales?

crazy world, crazy world

Zzoram

Dabanton said:

As i don't see how they can have a turnaround on UT it's bombed on PC, the PS3 version will no doubt undersell and then they expect 360 owners to buy it when they deign to release it next year? The game will be old hat by then. Good luck Epic, a Gears 2 announcement would be good right about now...

I wonder if they've committed to Gears of War 3 being Xbox exclusive yet.

orio7

Banned
Dabanton said:

As far as we know there's not much else coming out around the same time as UT3 so I think it will do great on 360.

angelfly

Dabanton said:

I'm doubtful it'll be released next year. As they haven't even started on it yet. I'm guessing November '08 at the earliest.

Zerodoppler said:
Lego Star Wars - 180k

vs.

Zack & Wiki - 35k

Lego Star Wars is good, and I'm glad it sold. I've played Mario and Sonic a bit, and it is a GREAT casual game.

.....Zack and Wiki.....I don't know, something almost makes it a little more special to me knowing I'm one of the few people who will love this game.

Where something like Mario or Halo is a whore, a game like Zack and Wiki is a prized beauty. It will sit next to Ico.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Stoney Mason said:
In the long run Galaxy will outsell it anyway. Both are great games.

Definately, just never expected something like COD4 or even AC to be on par in terms of sales.

It just shows how powerful the Halo 3 juggernaut really is.

MaX_PL

Banned
orio7 said:
Naruto
Ace Combat 6
Blue Dragon
Eternal Sonata

all bombed on 360.

all of those games were developed to appeal to japanese gamers and with japan not buying 360s, its no surprise they bomb.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah, what's with these highly marketable titles beating the Anti-Sales?

crazy world, crazy world

Segata- you're wanted in the MC thread. Would like to hear your 1st day/week predictions for the NiGHTS/Chocobo/We Love Golf/ SC Legends group.

Zzoram

Opus Angelorum said:
Sony themselves stated that 40% of PS3 owners use it to play Blu-Ray movies.

It was Sony's decision to lose money on the PS3 to get Blu-ray out there, and it worked. The only problem is, they hurt their gaming aspirations to give Blu-ray a boost. Only time will tell if it was worth it.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Dabanton said:

He can dry his eyes with the millions and millions and millions of dollars he's made through dozens of UE3 engine licenses and GOW.

TTG

Let me just say I'm very happy AC sold as well as it did. Goes to show that a good game will sell well regardless of what some reviews think of it. Hopefully it will end up somewhere in the 2.5-3 mil range eventually. That will probably be enough to break even ATLEAST.

Segata Sanshiro said:
to only play Blu-Ray movies?

That wasn't clarified.

Zzoram said:
It was Sony's decision to lose money on the PS3 to get Blu-ray out there, and it worked. The only problem is, they hurt their gaming aspirations to give Blu-ray a boost. Only time will tell if it was worth it.

Yeah I find that quite ironic.

Blu-Ray is both helping and hindering sales of the PS3.

harSon

Banned
orio7 said:
Naruto
Ace Combat 6
Blue Dragon
Eternal Sonata

all bombed on 360.

The Xbox 360 has damn near 20 if not more million sellers, and even more games that have sold 500-999,000. It's pretty damn amazing how much software the 360s userbase is purchasing.

Zzoram

jetjevons said:
He can dry his eyes with the millions and millions and millions of dollars he's made through dozens of UE3 engine licenses and GOW.

The vast majority of those UE3 licenses produced games that were better and sold better on Xbox 360 or were exclusive to Xbox 360. I'm sure the accountants at Epic have a console preference.

Grecco

Ryudo said:
Definately, just never expected something like COD4 or even AC to be on par in terms of sales.

It just shows how powerful the Halo 3 juggernaut really is.

Really? The Last COD from IW (COD 2) did pretty well for itself too, this had hype going, plus the 360 Beta. If any game could have beaten Mario it was COD.

Pretty shocked by the Asssasins Creed sales though. (im at the third assasination in it btw)

ElFly

underfooter said:
Lego Star Wars is good, and I'm glad it sold.

Is it good?

It is a extremely simplistic and easy beat'em up, ruined with some pretty horrible racing/shooting sections. I am surprised it is liked at all.

Top Bottom