• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

Zerodoppler said:
Mario and Sonic at the Olympics - 330k
Lego Star Wars - 180k
High School Musical - 180k

vs.

Zack & Wiki - 35k

Another victory for shitty shovelware.

Well....,thats I call a bomb...,I expected better sales for Zack & Wiki in EEUU....,I know the game it bombed in Japan,but I thought Americans will embrace it lol

fse

Opus Angelorum said:
That wasn't clarified.

Yeah I find that quite ironic.

Blu-Ray is both helping and hindering sales of the PS3.

i bet thats the case, hell i just use it for dvds and blu rays... sadly.

harSon said:
The Xbox 360 has damn near 20 if not more million sellers, and even more games that have sold 500-999,000. It's pretty damn amazing how much software the 360s userbase is purchasing.

I believe the number of million+ sellers should now be over 30.

f_elz said:
i bet thats the case, hell i just use it for dvds and blu rays... sadly.

Likewise.

Since owning my PS3 in March I have bought one game (Super Stardust HD), and six Blu-Ray movies.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Or, the audience sucks ass for not appreciating and purchasing quality games available on their systems and instead buy crap. I guess it all depends on perspective, huh?

It's the maker/ piece of work's duty to appease the audience. If something sells poorly it means the maker either failed to convince the audience to give it a chance or the material failed to engage them.

You can't "blame the audience" because it's the audience who gets to decide if the work is good or not.

_Xenon_

Banned
360 software sales keep kicking ass. Damn I knew I should have bought more ME shares in the simExchange.

Nintendo is basically mopping the floor in NA.

PS3 ... not that bad, not that good either.

Relaxed Muscle said:
Well....,thats I call a bomb...,I expected better sales for Zack & Wiki in EEUU....,I know the game it bombed in Japan,but I thought Americans will embrace it lol
You thought Americans would embrace it?

Have you seen it?

ElFly said:
Is it good?

It is a extremely simplistic and easy beat'em up, ruined with some pretty horrible racing/shooting sections. I am surprised it is liked at all.

Wow, i am shocked. This is the first time i ever heard anything bad about the lego star wars games.

avaya

Segata Sanshiro said:
to only play Blu-Ray movies?

Yeah that's too high.

Just based on Blu-ray sales ratio advantage of >2:1 and HD-DVD standalone sales there must be at least 500k PS3s being used as standalones exclusively, around ~20% of 2.44mn LTD.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
pDawg said:
I was trying to think of something to say about his post but I think I'll just opt to a traditional LOL WUT?

How about a tissue? :lol

I said what i said cause it was strange to me, its not like i was insulting any game.

Mariah Carey said:
It's the maker/ piece of work's duty to appease the audience. If something sells poorly it means the maker either failed to convince the audience to give it a chance or the material failed to engage them.

You can't "blame the audience" because it's the audience who gets to decide if the work is good or not.

That's like saying Arrested Development was a bad show because the audience didn't tune in. That argument holds no weight since quality isn't dictated by popularity.

Frillen

Relaxed Muscle said:

Z&W was send to die from the beginning. It would've bombed no matter what platform it was released on.

ElFly

Lostconfused said:
Wow, i am shocked. This is the first time i ever heard anything bad about the lego star wars games.

The graphic style has its charm, yes, but it's lacking on the gameplay side.

tak

ElFly said:
Is it good?

It is a extremely simplistic and easy beat'em up, ruined with some pretty horrible racing/shooting sections. I am surprised it is liked at all.
It's an awesome game. It's not catering to the hardcore, so of course its going to simplistic and easy. However, those two things don't automatically make a game bad.

It's core gameplay element is collecting, some people like and some people don't. Plus, it does have a few fun puzzles and exploration elements.

People who don't understand why a game like LEGO Star Wars sells are basically just demonstrating how little they know about the majority of the game-buying public.

Nolan.

chespace said:
Thong with some liberal flappings occasionally covering her buttocks, vs. really bland and boring jeans. Oh, and also, female vs. male.

Come on Che, do you even remember what Hs was about?, now you have me fearing your next game.

Speevy

Banned
Super Mario Galaxy is the highest rated game produced in almost a decade, and Nintendo seriously missed the boat in promoting it that way.

ElFly

Segata Sanshiro said:
People who don't understand why a game like LEGO Star Wars sells are basically just demonstrating how little they know about the majority of the game-buying public.

I understand why it sells.

I am surprised people here think it's good.

beef3483

Frillen said:
Z&W was send to die from the beginning. It would've bombed no matter what platform it was released on.

Though I hadn't really thought about it, this is the truth. It wouldn't have fared any better on any other system. It was just too niche, like Okami.

Segata Sanshiro said:

Investors up at Wal-Street still see big things ahead for the PS3

Vieo

Sony fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a console war if Sega is supporting your hardware, but only slightly less well-known is, never get involved in a console war if Master Chief is out of cryostasis and Mario is wearing a bee suit.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Relaxed Muscle said:
You expected it to do better in NA than you it expected it to do Japan?

Are you serious?

Banned
harSon said:
The Xbox 360 has damn near 20 if not more million sellers, and even more games that have sold 500-999,000. It's pretty damn amazing how much software the 360s userbase is purchasing.
You didn't prove him wrong.

icecream

Public Health Threat
orio7 said:
Naruto
Ace Combat 6
Blue Dragon
Eternal Sonata
So clearly multiplatform is the only way to go for next gen, since both consoles clearly fail at selling exclusives.

And where did I hear this argument before..?

Pimpwerx

Man, that price announcement did some terminal damage to the PS3's wagon. I don't know if things are gonna turn around here in NA. It's probably why 90% of my friends list is from the EU. :lol

OTOH, Wii has risen to heaven with the DS. DS putting up gonzo numbers. Like a retail gangbang. PEACE.

ElFly said:
I understand why it sells.

I am surprised people here think it's good.
Probably for similar reasons that the game-buying public likes it: It's Star Wars, it's humourous, it's non-intimidating, and it has a co-op mode.

Zzoram

icecream said:
So clearly multiplatform is the only way to go for next gen, since both consoles clearly fail at selling exclusives.

And where did I hear this argument before..?

except the majority of 360 exclusives or timed-exclusives have done better than anything the PS3 has other than Resistance

Zzoram said:
DMC4 will sell better on PS3 by far in my mind for some reason. It just feels like such a Playstation game, DMC invokes thoughts of Playstation, and I'll be shocked if the Xbox 360 version sells well.

Good luck with that.

DevelopmentArrested said:
That's like saying Arrested Development was a bad show because the audience didn't tune in. That argument holds no weight since quality isn't dictated by popularity.

That's where the "maker failed to convince the audience to give it a chance part" comes in. And "quality" doesn't really exist in a vacuum. If the audience climate isn't one that can support a particular show, then the show did a poor job of serving the audience's needs (or, if you rather, the show came out at a wrong time).

ElFly

Segata Sanshiro said:
Probably for similar reasons that the game-buying public likes it: It's Star Wars, it's humourous, it's non-intimidating, and it has a co-op mode.

To be fair, I've only played the first game (the one with the prequels).

I got really bored with it.

Maybe the second game and the compilation are better.

Tiktaalik

I really don't think there is much reason why Zack and Wiki was necessarily doomed to failure. An improved name (Treasure/Pirate something something) and box art and a big cover feature in Nintendo Power would have brought this title close to 100k easily.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Father_Brain said:
Interesting that DS sold so amazingly well, yet doesn't have a single game on the top 10.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the Zelda/Nintendogs bundles.

Vieo said:
Sony fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a console war if Sega is supporting your hardware, but only slightly less well-known is, never get involved in a console war if Master Chief is out of cryostasis and Mario is wearing a bee suit.
vizzini.jpg

Inconceivable!

icecream

Public Health Threat
Zzoram said:
except the majority of 360 exclusives or timed-exclusives have done better than anything the PS3 has other than Resistance
You should understand his point is that Japanese exclusives sell 'poorly' on the 360, but not the PS3, even though there haven't been many.

Banned
Mariah Carey said:

Pretty much.

DevelopmentArrested said:
AD had an audience A large one. Sadly most of that audience were younger adults and teens, and decided to torrent the show instead of actual, you know watch it on Fox.

Nolan.

Opus Angelorum said:
I believe the number of million+ sellers should now be over 30.

Likewise.

Since owning my PS3 in March I have bought one game (Super Stardust HD), and six Blu-Ray movies.

You can't blame people though I guess. Even when you look at the game commercials here it's like a Blu-ray ad. The Uncharted ad made me think if I didn't know about the game i'd think it was some parody. Plus all I remebered was something about blu-ray and high definition so that seems to stick in peoples heads. I know a lot of people who love the look of some ps3 games but they feel intimidated to play them (they'd rather watch for some reason). Though they would get the movies. Sony's marketing in my opinion has been a mess this gen in terms of how they present their games, i'm sure a lot disagree though.

pDawg

Ryudo said:
How about a tissue? :lol

I said what i said cause it was strange to me, its not like i was insulting any game.
I'm trying to figure out how Galaxy being outsold by CoD4 = :lol

I don't see the funny. Both have fantastic numbers. In fact, I never expected Galaxy to be #1 for November.

itxaka

Defeatist
underfooter said:
I've played Mario and Sonic a bit, and it is a GREAT casual game.

Casual? For me it´s a new-gen version of Decathlete, but waggle-mashing instead of button mashing. I don´t see the casual in there, I don´t really see a 14 year old waggling to death on the 4x100 event :D

ElFly said:
To be fair, I've only played the first game (the one with the prequels).

I got really bored with it.

Maybe the second game and the compilation are better.
They're a little better, but they aren't any less mindless. I dunno, it's a good game to play with casual friends and kids. That's a good selling point for some people.

Top Bottom