• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

Lefty42o

Banned
angelfly said:
I'm doubtful it'll be released next year. As they haven't even started on it yet. I'm guessing November '08 at the earliest.

:lol

they have and previews have been played. which makes sense cause porting a pc game to the 360 takes very little work. (hi xna) its slated for a late spring early summer release.

a quick search of retailers show a may 08 release date which makes sense if its a 6 month exclusive like most timed exclusives.

Odysseus

Banned
Lefty42o said:

they have and previews have been played. which makes sense cause porting a pc game to the 360 takes very little work. (hi xna) its slated for a late spring early summer release.

a quick search of retailers show a may 08 release date which makes sense if its a 6 month exclusive like most timed exclusives.

i think he was speaking more of gears 2.

Lightning

Banned
PS3 fans only have themselves to fucking blame for their being no PS3 exclusives, no one taking advantage of the PS3, on one wanting to make games. Those Uncharted sale figures really depress me. One of the greatest games.... ignored by 3-1 over Assassins Creed? Yeah, Fucking brilliant.

I am happy Assassins Creed is selling but fuck me dead those Uncharted sales.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Odysseus said:
not calling 360 disappointing here, but let's not go crazy! ps2 sold more than 1.3 mil in november 02. comfortably beat this year's 360 number in 01 and 03, too. and those were months without the benefit of a shift in the weeks included in the numbers.

I know. in 03, it sold 60k more than the 360 did this year. I wouldn't say that is too comfortably, but I do agree with your point. I am just saying, at the height of PS2 mania in 2004, when some of it's biggest games ever came out, It didn't beat the 360's November numbers. I don't see how the 360's numbers are disappointing. Of course, neither are PS3's numbers when the price is considered. If PS3 were $299 for a neutered 40GB version, it would've sold at least 600k. I have seen people's reactions to the price and they look in astonishment at the 360 Elite price and the PS3 40GB and 80GB price. Arcade pack and Wii they are very much comfortable with.

Odysseus

Banned
AlteredBeast said:
I know. in 03, it sold 60k more than the 360 did this year. I wouldn't say that is too comfortably, but I do agree with your point. I am just saying, at the height of PS2 mania in 2004, when some of it's biggest games ever came out, It didn't beat the 360's November numbers. I don't see how the 360's numbers are disappointing. Of course, neither are PS3's numbers when the price is considered. If PS3 were $299 for a neutered 40GB version, it would've sold at least 600k. I have seen people's reactions to the price and they look in astonishment at the 360 Elite price and the PS3 40GB and 80GB price. Arcade pack and Wii they are very much comfortable with.

04 is also a bad example. massive pstwo shortages that year. :D

but, like you said, the 360 numbers aren't disappointing

I love watching everyone defend their realm. Fucking hilarious.

neogaf.jpg

Tiktaalik

And Galaxies, and Wii Play and GH PS2.

You're still insignificant.

Mario Galaxy and Guitar Hero are both Casual/Hardcore cross over games and Wii Play means nothing since we don't have PS3 or Xbox 360 controller sales to compare it to.

exarkun

Great numbers for all, glad to see that ps3 did much better than expected and the 360 is doing all sorts of WoW for an expensive console. I don't understand the "this is the end of ..." talk that goes on based off on November sales. Its far too small a sample for a person to make any sort of accurate judgment. Also, what console did badly? The only disappointing thing is the software attachment rate with the PS3.

Zzoram

Whipped Spartan said:
If GH III(360) is selling poorly why can't I find it anywhere? Did Activision make three copies in November?

It's probably not selling poorly, but Rock Band sold 311K in November on 360 so that might've detracted from GH3 sales.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
itsgreen said:
I do

06:
PS2: october: 235, november: 664 (2.80 more)
360: october: 218, november: 511 (2.35 more)

07:
PS3: october: 121, november: 664 (3.80 more)
360: october: 366, november: 770 (2.10 more)

So average is about 2.3-2.7 more in november. That would mean 1.1-1.5 more were sold extra for ps3, which would make it about 130-180k due to the pricedrop.

You got the 2nd numbers wrong
PlayStation 3 466K
Xbox 360 770K

Banned
mood said:
Dunno dude I find your post pretty disgusting. I should feel sad for Sony?
You should feel bad that a great game, which many men and women devoted months, if not years of their life to will never be played by many people.

While crap like AC outsells it.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Spawn99 said:
That way it could sell as crappy as Ratchet and Clank Future.

Albeit I don't agree with tone of your post, this raises an interesting question: will Naughty Dog continue with their previously established plans and carry on with the development of Jak 4?

In this market, no. Having seen what happened to Ratchet (a game geared toward a similar demographic as will be the yet-unreleased Jak 4) in relation to Resistance, and dwelling on the sales of Uncharted internally, it should come as no surprise when Naughty Dog announces their new project is 1) a sequel to Uncharted (despite sales, Uncharted has potential "mass appeal" like Gears of War or Assassin's Creed) or 2) a "shooter."

I hope this is not the case as I've been yearning to see more from the Jak series from the moment Jak 3 let the credits roll, but with the current state of the market, I don't think it will be an economical decision for Sony to fund a title whose appeal is in definite question.

EDIT: Surely, there's a good chance my forcast is incorrect but that's why it is dubbed as such: a forecast. :D Feel free to argue against my point.

_Angelus_

Banned
Hardware Unit Sales

PlayStation 2 496K
PlayStation 3 466K
PSP 567K
Xbox 360 770K
Wii 981K
Nintendo DS 1.53 million

November 2007 Top 10 Video Games Rank # Units
360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 1 1.57 million
WII SUPER MARIO GALAXY NINTENDO OF AMERICA NOV 2007 EVERYONE (E) 2 1.12 million
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED UBISOFT NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 3 980K
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 4 967K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA FEB 2007 EVERYONE (E) 5 564K
360 MASS EFFECT MICROSOFT (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 6 473K
PS3 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 7 444K
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 8 426K
360 HALO 3 MICROSOFT (CORP) SEP 2007 MATURE (M) 9 387K
PS3 ASSASSIN'S CREED UBISOFT NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 10 377K

Uncharted LaBomba,no where to be seen.

If a picture could sum up the whole thing this would be it.....
LaughableSonySales.jpg

tak

Odysseus said:
it didn't bomb. it sold infinitely more in retail in november than it did in october. don't even talk to me about year over year uncharted sales.
best response ever

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
Mario Galaxy and Guitar Hero are both Casual/Hardcore cross over games and Wii Play means nothing since we don't have PS3 or Xbox 360 controller sales to compare it to.
Wait GH3 PS2 is a hardcore/casual crossover game but GH3 wii isn't? What? What is a hardcore/casual game. Nothing stops a hardcore gamer from turing off halo3 or whatever and playing chess with a friend?

botticus

Tiktaalik said:
PS3 controller sold 282k, second highest-selling accessory for the month.

Tiktaalik

Wait GH3 PS2 is a hardcore/casual crossover game but GH3 wii isn't? What? What is a hardcore/casual game. Nothing stops a hardcore gamer from turing off halo3 or whatever and playing chess with a friend?

Did I say somewhere that there was a difference between the folks who were buying GH3 on the Wii and those who were buying it on the PS2? If I did I certainly didn't mean to.

hardcore/casual means both groups are buying the game. I don't think there is anything controversial in saying that Mass Effect sales are largely from hardcore gamers, whereas Guitar Hero sales are made up of both hardcore and casual gamers.

Zzoram

Man God said:
So has anyone done the year to year comparison of November yet? Could be interesting.

They have. 360 was 511K Nov.2006, so PS3 is falling behind even compared to the first year of 360 in NA. World Wide is a different story mainly because of Japan.

Sean

Banned
I feel bad for Naughty Dog and Insomniac right now. Ratchet I can kind of see, but I thought it'd do at least 250-300k by now. Uncharted though is the best PS3 game I've played and it ends up being a complete disaster. 117k, what the fuck are PS3 owners doing? Buy some fucking games! I'll be really pissed if there's no sequel to Uncharted.

Wow at 360 software. Two third party games both debuting at 1 million in the first month. Just a month ago, I never would've thought Assassin's Creed would come anywhere close those kind of numbers.

Rock Band did extremely well IMO considering the price and release date. I think that game will have legs too. Activision will have to start worrying. RB won't outdo GH this time, but next year I assume they'll have a Wii and PS2 version along with better manufacturing etc and they will be a real competitor.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Odysseus said:
it didn't bomb. it sold infinitely more in retail in november than it did in october. don't even talk to me about year over year uncharted sales.

Harsh, bro. :lol

Do you even play games? Just curious.

namor7

user friendly said:
It's funny that people seem happy that a good game bombed :(
good point. sony's still considered the big bad beast, hence the responses. i wonder if they'll ever actually become the rooted-for underdog.

Odysseus

Banned
chespace said:
Harsh, bro. :lol

Do you even play games? Just curious.

eh, sort of. geometry wars xp, new super mario bros, and websudoku.com. that's about it since, um... well, it's been like that for a while.

Trevelyan

Banned
I have some advice for Sony: Stop putting demos up for your 1st party games, it only seems to hurt them.

But seriously, it's pretty aggravating to see such a stellar title like Uncharted do so poorly. I hope it can manage at least another 100-150K in December. Poor ND =(

Zzoram

namor7 said:
good point. sony's still considered the big bad beast, hence the responses. i wonder if they'll ever actually become the rooted-for underdog.

they won't be underdog unless the PS3 is dominated world wide in 2010.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Sean said:
I feel bad for Naughty Dog and Insomniac right now. Ratchet I can kind of see, but I thought it'd do at least 250-300k by now. Uncharted though is the best PS3 game I've played and it ends up being a complete disaster. 117k, what the fuck are PS3 owners doing? Buy some fucking games! I'll be really pissed if there's no sequel to Uncharted.

Wow at 360 software. Two third party games both debuting at 1 million in the first month. Just a month ago, I never would've thought Assassin's Creed would come anywhere close those kind of numbers.

Rock Band did extremely well IMO considering the price and release date. I think that game will have legs too. Activision will have to start worrying. RB won't outdo GH this time, but next year I assume they'll have a Wii and PS2 version along with better manufacturing etc and they will be a real competitor.

dirtmonkey37 said:
Albeit I don't agree with tone of your post, this raises an interesting question: will Naughty Dog continue with their previously established plans and carry on with the development of Jak 4?

In this market, no. Having seen what happened to Ratchet (a game geared toward a similar demographic as will be the yet-unreleased Jak 4) in relation to Resistance, and dwelling on the sales of Uncharted internally, it should come as no surprise when Naughty Dog announces their new project is 1) a sequel to Uncharted (despite sales, Uncharted has potential "mass appeal" like Gears of War or Assassin's Creed) or 2) a "shooter."

I hope this is not the case as I've been yearning to see more from the Jak series from the moment Jak 3 let the credits roll, but with the current state of the market, I don't think it will be an economical decision for Sony to fund a title whose appeal is in definite question.

EDIT: Surely, there's a good chance my forcast is incorrect but that's why it is dubbed as such: a forecast. :D Feel free to argue against my point.

And taking a cue from Ratchet's performance at retail, Naughty Dog will act accordingly.

Grecco

Sean said:

They kicked Harmonixs ass sales wise. Activision has nothing to worry about

Top Bottom