• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

Dirtbag

Why do I smile at the PS3 numbers every month? I own one, I should want it to do well.
Every logical bone in my body tells me I should care, yet I don't.

Part of it is certainly the grief I've heard for so long being a xbox fan, but I think the bigger part of it is the image sony projected before this got going.

I think I enjoy the collapse of the ego the most. I feel for the developers, I really do. But something about the whole thing makes me giggle on the inside. My mean streak is flaring up again.

~forum confessions

What do you guys think looks healthier , the Xbox family or the Playstation family?

I know that 360 outsold PS3 by almost 400k, but PS2 and PSP are going strong and then again the 'next gen' console is being outsold again.

gkryhewy

Zzoram said:
The PS3 is just getting screwed in so many ways. Poor hardware sales means less 3rd party exclusives, which means lower hardware sales. Poor software sales means reduced availability, which means poor sales. Chicken & Egg is killing the PS3.

This is why, historically, comebacks within a console generation just don't happen.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Odysseus said:
just now? really? i would have thought that happened a while ago. then again, it did start slowly.
Yeah, it was doing horribly before the Lite launched. :lol

I'm talking about in the US only of course, it passed XBX long ago WW.

gkrykewy said:
STOP THE PRESSES
I have the write-up here! Just slap it on the front and continue!

pgtl_10

Were TRU sales included in this NPD? Think about it TRU told NPD they won't supply numbers in October. Has NPD already figure out an algorithm that could accurately predict TRU sales?

Barnolde

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
What do you guys think looks healthier , the Xbox family or the Playstation family?

I know that 360 outsold PS3 by almost 400k, but PS2 and PSP are going strong and then again the 'next gen' console is being outsold again.
Xbox "family" will never sell this well again.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Zzoram said:
They have. 360 was 511K Nov.2006, so PS3 is falling behind even compared to the first year of 360 in NA. World Wide is a different story mainly because of Japan.

360 First Year NPD: 3411000
PS3 First Year NPD: 2446804

Odysseus

Banned
pgtl_10 said:
Were TRU sales included in this NPD? Think about it TRU told NPD they won't supply numbers in October. Has NPD already figure out an algorithm that could accurately predict TRU sales?

i think npd getting tru numbers for the last however long they've got them is all the insight they need, to be quite honest.

"hey charlie, toys r us accounted for x percentage of sales every single november since the nixon administration, think we can plug it in for this year?"

"don't know, jim. sounds risky."

Sushen

The key information here is the software number, not hardware number as much. The bread and butter for gaming industry has been software and that's where 360 shines in this chart.

It was the software that made DS won the battle against PSP in japan in the early days of the war.

If GTA4 sells like COD4 did this year for 360 and PS3, it'll be the loud and clear message to the publishers on which system has to be the lead SKU. Of course, the situation in Japan balance out the situation, though. BTW Capcom, Namco, SquareEnix and Konami were absolutely the top choice for my in the last generation, but in this generation, I can just live with Infinity Ward, Epic, Bungie, and Insomniac, and don't really care about those japanese devs any more.

Dirtbag 504 said:
Part of it is certainly the grief I've heard for so long being a xbox fan, but I think the bigger part of it is the image sony projected before this got going.

While I don't giggle, my view of the PS3 is greatly impacted not only by the drubbing that its proponents handed out before and during the 360's launch but by their general attitude following it. The vocal minority of its fanbase, sadly, lean a bit too far towards the joyless bully than the clever japester.

-- Forum Confessions II: On The Reno Strip --

Dirtbag 504 said:
Why do I smile at the PS3 numbers every month? I own one, I should want it to do well.

I think I enjoy the collapse of the ego the most. I feel for the developers, I really do. But something about the whole thing makes me giggle on the inside. My mean streak is flaring up again.

~forum confessions

I feel you man, remember all the insane quotes from Sony? Being told I was a fucktard for buying a 360. There was enough xbox hate to go around a few years ago, I honestly feel this is payback.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Rapping Granny said:

The Xbox family seems very very healty. Look at the software sales not hardware.

I know there's nothing particularly new in what I'm saying here, but if toward the end of the PS2/Gamecube generation anyone had told me that in the following generation Sony would be a laughing stock and struggling to survive in third place while Nintendo straddles the globe hoovering up cash on a scale never imagined I'd have laughed in their face. Wouldn't anyone?

And yet here we are. This business is nuts, I love it.

pgtl_10

Odysseus said:
i think npd getting tru numbers for the last however long they've got them is all the insight they need, to be quite honest.

"hey charlie, toys r us accounted for x percentage of sales every single november since the nixon administration, think we can plug it in for this year?"

"don't know, jim. sounds risky."

I agree but that TRU sale could have upset the balance.

Pimpbaa

Grecco said:
I Really hope Activision reconsiders going back to WWII for COD5. The Modern setting helped boost COD4s sales imo..

Yeah, that would be better, another fucking WWII shooter. What really would be better is COD5: Future Warfare. And not fighting humans. Imagine what these guys could do with an alien fighting theme.

Zzoram

FilosopherStoner said:
I feel you man, remember all the insane quotes from Sony? Being told I was a fucktard for buying a 360. There was enough xbox hate to go around a few years ago, I honestly feel this is payback.

Xbox was the underdog all last gen, and it really wasn't very popular.

pgtl_10 said:
I agree but that TRU sale could have upset the balance.

Well like has been said, NPD can surely predict accurately enough to fairly represent what TRU likely sold...so it probably would have been a negligible difference to have the actual numbers, after they have so much past TRU data to use.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
exarkun said:
Great numbers for all, glad to see that ps3 did much better than expected and the 360 is doing all sorts of WoW for an expensive console. I don't understand the "this is the end of ..." talk that goes on based off on November sales. Its far too small a sample for a person to make any sort of accurate judgment. Also, what console did badly? The only disappointing thing is the software attachment rate with the PS3.
Well, to reiterate, despite PS3 sales going up by quite a bit they were STILL outsold by 300,000+ by the next competitor, which is an increase from the previous month.

pgtl_10

Toy Soldier said:
Well like has been said, NPD can surely predict accurately enough to fairly represent what TRU likely sold...so it probably would have been a negligible difference to have the actual numbers, after they have so much past TRU data to use.

Good point.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Dirtbag 504 said:

The PS3 numbers are great, imho, considering the pricetag and the library. They're still selling a hell of a lot of consoles on brand loyalty, and they're subsidizing the switch to next-gen with continuing sales of last-gen hardware/software.

Software sales look healthy too, especially when you look at how the best titles have some legs on 'em.

Considering this was the 360's "Perfect Storm", I don't have any worries about the PS3 ultimately proving very competitive to the 360.

Neither of them are going to touch the Wii or the DS, just a matter of pricing.

Zzoram said:
Xbox was the underdog all last gen, and it really wasn't very popular.

Doesn't mean it was fun getting mocked and laughed at. I think a lot of ProSonents took the PS2's performance as carte blanche to be tremendous douchebags in '05 and '06. Seeing them clamber against the walls of PS3forums in '07 is at least amusing to watch.

Zzoram

XiaNaphryz said:
Well, to reiterate, despite PS3 sales going up by quite a bit they were STILL outsold by 300,000+ by the next competitor, which is an increase from the previous month.

The gap in NA has been widening between 360 and PS3 for pretty much all of 2007.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Holy crap at 360 COD4

and SMG *bows*

also, really surprised Wii GH3 beat the 360 version and surprised that Halo 3 fell flat on it's face compared to other big games (although not that surprised, Halo 2 sales dropped pretty quickly as well)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
MassiveAttack said:
PS2 selling 500K in a month EIGHT YEARS after it was released ain't bad either.

Not really considering how often they break!

No seriously, both are doing well and neither one has hit the legendary true mass market price of Ninety-Nine United States of America dollars. That's when things start getting serious.

greepoman

TheDuce22 said:
Is it safe to say including bluray in PS3 was a mistake yet? Wasnt that the main cause of the delayed launch and insane price.

Just wait for the magical year of 2011 ...Screen Digest ftw. Someone needs to make a song "in the year 2011" to that Zager & Evans with the similar name except about the ps3.

EDIT: oh it's 'in the year 2525'

Penguin

GSG Flash said:
Holy crap at 360 COD4

and SMG *bows*

also, really surprised Wii GH3 beat the 360 version and surprised that Halo 3 fell flat on it's face compared to other big games (although not that surprised, Halo 2 sales dropped pretty quickly as well)

It has sold to more than half of the install base already.
Only so much room to go. :lol

But till go Mario! Atleast one country till loves you.

Odysseus

Banned
Zzoram said:
The gap in NA has been widening between 360 and PS3 for pretty much all of 2007.

what stumpokapow posted was really alarming. i mean, we knew 360 was obviously doing better, but wow. and then consider the wii. wowow

Stumpokapow said:
MEGA SUMMARY NUMBER POST
All data here is legal. Sources are mostly GAF numbers, but include sporadic numbers from IGN, 1up, GameDaily.biz, Joystiiiiiiq, and Beyond3d (Not the leaked numbers, though)

Numbers since Wii/PS3 Launch

DS 8,476,743
Wii 6,019,848
X360 5,001,718
PS2 4,902,772
PSP 4,192,102
PS3 2,446,786

2007 Numbers:

DS 5,960,150
Wii 4,939,678
X360 3,358,832
PS2 2,844,765
PSP 2,762,920
PS3 1,759,104

Unfortunate I lost a hard drive a while ago so I don't have the numbers since 360 launch or further back. I haven't reconstructed anything from before November 2006 yet.

Million-sellers this year based on NON-LEAKED information:
Halo 3 (4,120,800)
Wii Play (3,033,700)
Call of Duty 4 Xbox 360 (1,570,000)
Mario Party 8 (1,250,862+ does not include this month, which is probably around 100-150k)
Madden Xbox 360 (1,138,954+ does not include this month, which is probably just under 100k)
Super Mario Galaxy (1,120,000)
Assassin's Creed Xbox 360 (980,000)--I know it's not a million, but very close.

Based on NON-LEAKED information, Madden PS3 and Call of Duty 4 are pretty much tied for the top two PS3 sellers at ~450k each. Madden is a bit lower but we don't have numbers for this month so it probably has a slight edge on CoD4 all told.

orio7 said:
Why do people expect PS3 SW to sell the same as 360 SW? 360 has 3 times the HW sold so PS3 SW is pretty much in line with 360 SW now.
if it hasn't been said yet the original xbox software kept up with ps2 with like 1/10th the userbase :lol

B-Ri said:
and worldwide numbers closing in.

Until the software numbers start evening out, that's not going to make enough of a difference on what should matter to a gamer: how and towards whom the games are developed.

360's software superiority in NA completely dwarfs even an equivalent hardware LTD worldwide (which it doesn't even have yet).

Odysseus said:
i did a double take, but i think he meant the estimated ytd sales quoted in my post.

Oh, okay. Yeah. I see that now.

My bad.

bendak

Wow, UT3 failed. I bet it will fail on PS3 as well.

Maybe Epic will realize they just need to announce Gears 2 already.

They also should have put UT3 on 360. 360 owners would have snatched it up like cheap crack.

Top Bottom