• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

WinFonda

besada said:
Or the majority of PS3 users really are cheap Blu-Ray buyers.

I'm astonished at the lack of sales for Uncharted. I bought it and loved it. It's gorgeous and fun. PS3 owners who don't have this game apparently don't want good, original games on the platform.

Great sales for everyone else. It horrifies me that High School Musical sold better than Uncharted. If that's not a harbinger of the death of real games, I'm not sure what is, but it's Nintendo's world now and we just live in it.
COD4 and Assassins Creed were the big sellers, like it or not, thats what the mass consumer wanted in November. It's not just the PS3, it's the 360 as well. Mass Effect did somewhat better, but can primarily be attributed to a much larger North American base.

The PS3 can't win. If it's 3rd party sales are lacking but it's 1st party is selling (R:FOM, MotorStorm), they get hounded. If they're 3rd parties are selling and their 1st party is lacking, they get hounded. I personally think Uncharted and Ratchet are two of the best games on the PS3, multiplatform or not. But it doesn't change the fact nearly all HD gamers have spoken, and the majority chose Assassins Creed + COD4. I don't see why that falls on Sony--I've seen a fair share of advertising for Uncharted, and it's received good reviews and positive word of mouth--what else can be done to make it a success?

I still think Uncharted will do well overall. But like I said, it's a post holiday game. Most HD gamers have already decided what they wanted this holiday, and it was the COD4+Assassin's Creed combo. In Jan/Feb when releases are slow and people who just bought their consoles have more cash to spend, and people start finishing Assassins Creed and COD4, Uncharted will see a boost.

Edit: Whoops, I quoted the wrong person. Fixed now.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Loudninja said:
I don't know, is it?

You may be the worst poster in this thread.

You asked what he was talking about. That made no sense.

People point that out and you say "I don't know, is it?"

Pimpbaa said:
And sony nullified nearly all of the xbox's gaming advantages last gen with ps2 being the lead platform. Things change. Besides, that hurt the xbox far far more than what the ps3 will ever suffer from not being the lead platform.

Exactly. Things change. Sony had the advantage last gen, MS has an advantage over them this gen, regardless of the someday in the future where they catch up in LTD Worldwide.

Odysseus said:
that would actually be a considerable improvement over october.

Yeah, that's like double! Maybe even triple!

Odysseus

Banned
Warm Machine said:
No licensing fees for one.

those games aren't surviving on that, for two.

those sales are beyond horrible. fortunately, those games will still sell in december and beyond. in theory.

Loudninja

omg rite said:
You may be the worst poster in this thread.

You asked what he was talking about. That made no sense.

People point that out and you say "I don't know, is it?"

I didnt know there were more sales, thats why I ask what he was talking about.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
MassiveAttack said:
Ah well. PS3 owners at least get a nice consolation prize this month. How it will affect PS3 sales in January is anyone's guess, however.

Bigshinycar.jpg

Yes, First it was Motorstorm, then Lair,HS...Uncharted and now a glorified demo will be the savior of the mighty PS3! Wait for it!

IronicallyTwisted said:
What the fuck?

How do PC games survive with sales like that?
Again. Like I said, which I don't have anything to back up other than my own buying pattern: I'm not sure if PC game sales are really affected by the whole "First Month" thing. People tend to upgrade their PCs,then run along and get the games once the PCs can run it.

WinFonda said:
The PS3 can't win. If it's 3rd party sales are lacking but it's 1st party is selling (R:FOM, MotorStorm), they get hounded. If they're 3rd parties are selling and their 1st party is lacking, they get hounded.

Hounded??

People are just looking at the facts! They "can't win"? No. Remove the persecution complex from your thinking and just look at the facts. They're not winning. They're not gaining ground in the arena in which they need to change the perception of their console from a Johnny Come Lately to The Most Powerful Console Money Can Buy: Software.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Loudninja said:
I didnt know there were more sales, thats why I ask what he was talking about.

Then you ask that. How the heck is he supposed to know what you mean by "what are you talking about"?

Conversational skills FTW.

Sysgen

Odysseus said:
totally. do better next time.

halo 3 sales are nothing short of astounding. halo 3 has sold to ~50% of the 360 base, and sold to ~50% of new owners this month. for crying out loud, looking at that ratio, you could say 360 is even more of a halo box than the original.

If you remember there was a big internal fight at MS on how they could release a new console without a Halo. Fast forward and it looks like incredible foresight since it allowed titles like Dead Rising to breathe which further paved the way for more great 3rd party numbers. In essence Halo 3 is doing unbelieveable but the 360 is not the Halo box.

WinFonda

BenjaminBirdie said:
Hounded??

People are just looking at the facts! They "can't win"? No. Remove the persecution complex from your thinking and just look at the facts. They're not winning. They're not gaining ground in the arena in which they need to change the perception of their console from a Johnny Come Lately to The Most Powerful Console Money Can Buy: Software.
Why would you take my usage of winning literally? That makes no sense.

goldenpp72 said:
We need sales for pgr4 and blue dragon at least, microsofts other 1st party titles that failed so far. come on now.

Don't forget Viva Pinata!

But seriously, four in a row? Half of them unqualified critical successes? That's just plain not good.

Odysseus said:
those games aren't surviving on that, for two.

those sales are beyond horrible. fortunately, those games will still sell in december and beyond. in theory.

I agree with you! Still, 7 dollars a copy or more is saved but they still cost less at retail so less profit is probably made per copy sold anyway. Crysis probably made 3.2 million on those numbers which would probably pay for a 1/4 of its dev costs in north america alone for the month. In the end the whole thing will probably break even world wide. UT3 though is sadness.

Odysseus

Banned
Sysgen said:
If you remember there was a big internal fight at MS on how they could release a new console without a Halo. Fast forward and it looks like incredible foresight since it allowed titles like Dead Rising to breathe which further paved the way for more great 3rd party numbers. In essence Halo 3 is doing unbelieveable but the 360 is not the Halo box.

on the other hand, that guy may have had a point. after all, halo 3 sales were so bad, microsoft had to sell the studio. :/

joesmokey

I'm late to the party...

Wow at software numbers this month. We did get Ubisoft's press release, but I didn't expect anywhere near those numbers for Assassin's Creed (higher than GoW2?). Software sales this month pretty much show that real gaming is still alive in NA at least. Mario's sales are definitely deserved, and holy shit at COD4 (I still need to get it D:). GH3 for PS2 still going this strong is nuts though.

PS3 software sales on the other hand are obviously just, well, ...
How barely anyone bought Uncharted (and even Ratchet this month), I have no idea. Sony really splintered their userbase because obviously the majority of people use it as a blu-ray player. At least with non-hdd 360's the userbase still fucking buys games :/.

Grecco

besada said:
If that's not a harbinger of the death of real games, I'm not sure what is, but it's Nintendo's world now and we just live in it.

Death of Real Games? COD, Mass Effect, Mario Galaxy, Assasins Creed, all did pretty well.

goldenpp72

I expected blue dragon to sell.. something during november and december, it's a more kid oriented looking game ya know? Viva too.. and kind of hoped pgr4 would continue the trend of selling a million some day.

Duke Togo

My god, there are a lot of bitter people on all sides of this thing. I love the constant proclamations of doom on here, and yet nothing ever happens. Meltdown and gloat all you want, it will never matter.

WinFonda said:
Why would you take my usage of winning literally? That makes no sense.

I didn't take your use of winning literally. You meant "can't win" as in "they are being persecuted". I responded to that by saying "No. People are not persecuting them. They are simply discussing the facts as they stand."

greepoman

IronicallyTwisted said:
What the fuck?

How do PC games survive with sales like that?

It's called World of Warcraft...9+ million sales with a lot of them still paying $15 a month to play.

Of course the problem is that it effectively kills all other PC games...

Odysseus

Banned
greepoman said:
It's called World of Warcraft...9+ million sales with a lot of them still paying $15 a month to play.

Of course the problem is that it effectively kills all other PC games...

it's so awesome for blizzard to share that warcraft money with everybody else, too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
MassiveAttack said:
Ah yes, poor reading comprehension.

Just a little joke. Playstation fanboys are too high strung. Hanging on to a so-called failing system is something you get used to in time. I still love the Dreamcast and Gamecube, for example. Learn to make fun of yourself a little first, and the only tears you'll have will be joyous.

Sean

Banned
Epic is the biggest loser here IMO - 33,000 for Unreal Tournament 3 is just pathetic. Say what you want about lack of advertising but UT is a proven brand, it's been around nearly a decade. It should not be selling that poorly. Epic went from having the best selling next-gen game (by far) to the worst-selling one just a year later.

Let's see how the PS3 version sells, but I'm not expecting any miracles there. It'd have to perform extra good to make up for those awful PC sales. I suspect Epic are going to be kicking themselves for not getting a 360 version out.

All the new PS3 IPs this year either bomba or failed to move significant amounts of hardware.

Now that the "big guns" for the PS3 are out, it should put into rest that Sony can supposedly survive on their own like Nintendo. They can't. LBP is probably one of the only new ones that could but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. Sony still needs third parties to survive.

Fortunately for them the PS2 legacy gave them a bit of a leeway when it comes to that support, and the 360 will somewhat help them via ports. For now anyway.

Loudninja

papelnabangka said:
All the new PS3 IPs this year either bomba or failed to move significant amounts of hardware.

Now that the "big guns" for the PS3 are out, it should put into rest that Sony can supposedly survive on their own like Nintendo. They can't. LBP is probably one of the only new ones that could but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. Sony still needs third parties to survive.

Fortunately for them the PS2 legacy gave them a bit of a leeway when it comes to that support, and the 360 will somewhat help them via ports. For now anyway.

The big guns are NOT out

Bildi

I'm glad to see Assassin's Creed do good numbers (I think we already knew it would do $1m+ but it's nice to have it confirmed) since I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Loudninja

Bildi said:
I'm glad to see Assassin's Creed do good numbers (I think we already knew it would do $1m+ but it's nice to have it confirmed) since I'm looking forward to the sequel.

I like to see Europe numbers for AC

Dirtbag

Sean said:
Epic is the biggest loser here IMO - 33,000 for Unreal Tournament 3 is just pathetic. Say what you want about lack of advertising but UT is a proven brand, it's been around nearly a decade. It should not be selling that poorly. Epic went from having the best selling next-gen game (by far) to the worst-selling one just a year later.

Let's see how the PS3 version sells, but I'm not expecting any miracles there. It'd have to perform extra good to make up for those awful PC sales. I suspect Epic are going to be kicking themselves for not getting a 360 version out.

I wonder if Epic made more off of 360 dlc for Gears of War.

Just think if they would have released a full expansion pack for 360 that matched the content of the Pc version.

Meier

jetjevons said:
UT3 - 34K
Crysis - 90K

Congratulations pirates! You've just killed non-subscription based, non-casual PC gaming!

More like congratulations idiot developers, you just made games that NO ONE CAN RUN and got reamed for it. It would be like selling an Xbox 720 game... 2 or 3 years before it came out and expecting it to do well.

Sysgen said:

Exactly. Everyone finally had to look at other games (Aside from the big H) and that large gap between the Xbox 360 launch/Halo 3 lauch allowed everyone to open their eyes to other, lesser known titles that were actually well built. The trend has obviously set-in as the software sales for the Xbox 360 are impressive on a consistant basis.

I think everyone is exaggerating about the PS3, though. Everyone should be thankful; Sony needed a wakeup call that would knock them off their high horse. The PS3 will be fine but I can't imagine that it will ever dominate like the PS2 did. The industry runs in cycles and it is Sony's turn to have some mud in their face; it will make them a stronger, more focused opponent in the coming generations.

Top Bottom