• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

Jack Tretton in February:

"I think we've got a better machine, I think we've got a better business model, and I think we're going to win in the long term," he said. Tretton then continued:
I'm extremely pleased that we're selling more PS2 units than they are [360 units]. That's something that quite frankly surprised me. But while early indicators are not completely irrelevant, you can't completely ignore them, and I'd be a little concerned if I were them."

Has PS3 ever outsold PS2 in month. Is this cause for concern?

Penguin

Hmm would this mean that Smackdown vs Raw 08 bombed hard? :D

Maybe THQ can finally get off their ass and develop a better game.

RBH said:
Speaking of bombs, WWE Smackdown vs. Raw looks to be a huge bomb in comparison to last year.

I believe that it did about 300k+ in November '06 for the 360 version, and they probably didn't even come close to that this year.

Damnit to hell.
What are the chances?

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Don't forget Lost Planet.
Or Crackdown. Or Saint's Row. Or...

Mass Effect is on track to sell, at least, two million before year's end worldwide.

X360 has probably 30 to 34 million sellers in just over two years now. PS3 has probably three in just over a year. Wii is probably over ten now.

fernoca

Any true in Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronciles selling over 120,000 copies?! :O!
I was expecting like 50,000 because of the low shipments...(most stores around here only got 1-2 copies...)

joesmokey

D3MO said:
Sony still has a couple franchises that they own that might pull the PS3 out of this hole.

God of War 3
GT5
err...help me out here...
Didn't Assassin's Creed 360 even sell more than GoW2 first month :/

Im sorry if this has already been stated, but Im too important to look through the thread, so can anyone tell me if we got a updated LTD or Nov sales for Pokemon DP? Thanks if possible.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
D3MO said:
Sony still has a couple franchises that they own that might pull the PS3 out of this hole.

God of War 3
GT5
err...help me out here...

People need to get out of this thinking that one game is going to be the savior for the console. It's not, just enjoy the games that are coming to the console. Especially looking at how people buy software for the console. After a year, I only have 5 PS3 games, and that is very low for me and I own all three, but with my 5 games, I'm still way above the tie ratio for the console. That is not a good look. GT5 and God of War 3 are going to be excellent games, but they aren't going to save a console.

RBH

Penguin said:
Hmm would this mean that Smackdown vs Raw 08 bombed hard? :D

Maybe THQ can finally get off their ass and develop a better game.

Damnit to hell.
What are the chances?
Almost at the same time. :lol :lol

Admittedly, I'm also a bit happy that SVR '08 seems to have bombed. The series has become really stagnant the past few years, and it's time for some changes to be made to the series.

Meier said:
More like congratulations idiot developers, you just made games that NO ONE CAN RUN and got reamed for it. It would be like selling an Xbox 720 game... 2 or 3 years before it came out and expecting it to do well.
A better analogy might be releasing an Xbox 360 game that's only compatible with the Elite SKU and expecting that to sell well.

But I agree with the point. I don't know how anyone could have expected Crysis to do well even in spite of all the plaudits it's received when the majority of PC gamers are frozen out of the picture due to the ridiculous tech specs.

Agent Icebeezy said:
People need to get out of this thinking that one game is going to be the savior for the console. It's not, just enjoy the games that are coming to the console. Especially looking at how people buy software for the console. After a year, I only have 5 PS3 games, and that is very low for me and I own all three, but with my 5 games, I'm still way above the tie ratio for the console. That is not a good look. GT5 and God of War 3 are going to be excellent games, but they aren't going to save a console.
It's been true of alot of Nintendo consoles that it only takes one game though. Probably not "save" though because those consoles were not in any danger. More like "ignite".

Mario did the NES, Tetris for the Gameboy, Pokemon for the GB, Brain Training for the DS and Wii Sports for the Wii(Wii Fit to a lesser extent but it's still a bit premature).

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Gary Whitta said:
A better analogy might be releasing an Xbox 360 game that's only compatible with the Elite SKU and expecting that to sell well.

But I agree with the point. I don't know how anyone could have expected Crysis to do well even in spite of all the plaudits it's received when the majority of PC gamers are frozen out of the picture due to the ridiculous tech specs.

Gary, you worked with Epic. Please enlighten us. Why did they shoot themselves in the foot with UT3? Why bite the hand that feeds them?

:D

I dont know how any third party dev can look past 360, the software sales on it are mind blowing. Any third party not releasing on 360 is tossing away alot of money alot. Shame on all you ps3 owners that never bought ratchet and uncharted, dear god people these are the best two games on the system and they have bombed. Sony must be getting worried in the us, price cut great games and still way behide wii and 360 what have they got to do to sell the thing over there.

beelzebozo said:
nintendo games, nintendo fans.

big big difference
I ninja edited, but here's the whole thing:

It's been true of alot of Nintendo consoles that it only takes one game though. Probably not "save" though because those consoles were not in any danger. More like "ignite".

Mario did the NES, Tetris for the Gameboy, Pokemon for the GB, Brain Training for the DS and Wii Sports for the Wii(Wii Fit to a lesser extent but it's still a bit premature).

orio7

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Mass Effect is on track to sell, at least, two million before year's end worldwide.

It's fun to make stuff up!

It didn't even do 500k here and barely registered on the UK charts. That 1 million number from MS is shipped, not sold.

Bildi

pooteeweet said:
Has PS3 ever outsold PS2 in month. Is this cause for concern?
NPD numbers.
Code:
                  PS3     PS2
Nov 2006	197,000	664,000
Dec 2006	490,700	1,400,000
Jan 2007	244,000	343,235
Feb 2007	127,000	295,000
Mar 2007	130,000	280,000
Apr 2007	82,000	194,000
May 2007	81,604	187,765
Jun 2007	98,500	227,000
Jul 2007	159,000	222,000
Aug 2007	130,600	202,000
Sep 2007	119,400	215,000
Oct 2007	121,000	184,000
Nov 2007	466,000	496,000

Zzoram

Agent Icebeezy said:
God of War 2 did 833,000 it's first month

PS2 has been ahead every month, IIRC

So Assassin's Creed on 360 outsold God of War 2 in first month comparisons.

If PS2 was ahead of 360 most of the year, then it was even further ahead of PS3, as pretty much every month this year the 360 has been close to double or more than double the PS3.

Brannon

360 list-a-thon

It's an impossible beast is what it is. And...

mckmas8808 said:
Sony needs to do something about the PS3. They need more advertising of the games.

Would this even work? They pretty much claimed ownership of Assassin's Creed and still got dominated saleswise. I mean, what do they even DO after that?

Nintendo DS 1.53 million
th_kramerdreamcoat.gif

Wii 981K
8axnlg5.gif

Xbox 360 770K
th_kramercar.gif

PSP 567K
th_blackwhitecookie.gif

PlayStation 2 496K
7293s3q.gif

PlayStation 3 466K
th_newmantruckfire.gif

*Gifs courtesy of Seinfeld appreciation thread

Agent Icebeezy

papelnabangka said:

Mario did the NES, Tetris for the Gameboy, Pokemon for the GB, Brain Training for the DS and Wii Sports for the Wii(Wii Fit to a lesser extent but it's still a bit premature)..

Look at every game you've mentioned for the Nintendo, paradigm shifting games

Mario is the reason we are here right now
Tetris is the quintessial easy to play, hard to master game, and kickass in multiplay
Pokemon is basically mario for the kids
Brain Training gave adults a reason to pick up a console
Wii Sports is the uber pack-in

Someone just offered a new list
Metal Gear Solid 4
Final Fantasy 13
God of War 3
Killzone 2
GT5

No, just no. People need to let it go. All of these franchises are building on what they have already established. It would take something like a Home to do it because it's different in the market space. My big thing with Home is that there are a million other companies doing similar things on the net and have been doing them for years

Zzoram

orio7 said:

It didn't even do 500k here and barely registered on the UK charts. That 1 million number from MS is shipped, not sold.

While it will break 1 million eventually, it probably won't get to 2. Still, not bad for a new RPG franchise.

orio7 said:

No, I think it will do two million by year's end. Not making stuff up, just typing in my estimate. We'll see in a month or less.

Grecco

mckmas8808 said:
Sony needs to do something about the PS3. They need more advertising of the games.

Spending even more money after the whole Saliva Campaign wont do much. They already spend a hell of alot. More than Nintendo at least.

harSon

Banned
Here is a list of games from what I could find that have sold over a million or relatively close to a million:

Code:
[B]First Party:[/B]
1. Halo 3
2. Gears of War
3. Project Gotham Racing 3
4. Perfect Dark Zero
5. Forza 2
6. Crackdown
7. Mass Effect (Going to happen)

[B]Third Party[/B]
8. Oblivion
9. Guitar Hero 2
10.Bioshock
11.Madden NFL 08
12.Saints Row
13.Splinter Cell: Double Agent
14.Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
15.Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
16.Need for Speed: Most Wanted
17.Need for Speed: Carbon
18.Madden 07
19.Lost Planet
20.Dead Rising
21.Call of Duty 2
22.Rainbow Six: Vegas
23.Call of Duty 4
24.Guitar Hero 3
25.Assassins Creed (Close enough)

These are just games that are over or fairly close to 1 million. I'd imagine that there are quide a few games that are middle ranged as far as sales go. The choice seems relatively easy for developers with games that have international appeal.

mckmas8808 said:

They've advertised the shit out of:

- Assassin's Creed PS3
- Uncharted
- Ratchet & Clank
- The $399 PS3 Metal Montage

And a LOT more than MS advertised any exclusive, aside from Halo. Sorry, but that dog won't hunt.

RSTEIN said:
Gary, you worked with Epic. Please enlighten us. Why did they shoot themselves in the foot with UT3? Why bite the hand that feeds them?

:D
No idea, I never really worked that closely with them. I have no idea why they went with the PS3 for UT3 over 360. I bet they are starting to wish they did though.

Frankly I think the UT franchise is played out. It's just too self-consciously EX-TREME!!!??! for my tastes these days and I don't see what they're really doing to advance the franchise other than improving the graphics, and it's the same tired pseudo-futuristic industrial bullshit design style every time. Yawn.

Plus I think it got fucked on the PC side by TF2 which came out first and swallowed up a lot of the FPS player base.

Chumly

MightyHedgehog said:
Or Crackdown. Or Saint's Row. Or...

X360 has probably 30 to 34 million sellers in just over two years now. PS3 has probably three in just over a year. Wii is probably over ten now.
360 currently has little over 30 as shown for million sellers. Wii has 12 currently and is outpacing the 360 in the same timeframe for million sellers.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Brannon said:
Would this even work? They pretty much claimed ownership of Assassin's Creed and still got dominated saleswise. I mean, what do they even DO after that?

That's because the 360 has 3 times the sells. Assassin's Creed did just as good on the PS3 sales wise as it did on the 360.

Chumly said:
360 currently has in the upper 20's of million sellers. Wii has 12 currently and is outpacing the 360 in the same timeframe for million sellers.

Well, the Wii is going to run the table this gen. That's guaranteed at this point. I think everyone's pretty clear on that. It's just not as fun to talk about, since it's all inevitable like.

Zzoram

Chumly said:
360 currently has in the upper 20's of million sellers. Wii has 12 currently and is outpacing the 360 in the same timeframe for million sellers.

The difference to gamers is that the 360 million sellers are generally good games, whereas like, 3 of the Wii ones are.

Agent Icebeezy

mckmas8808 said:

You can't go Sunday watching NFL Football without seeing a PS3 ad at least 10 times a day. Now Starting at $399. THey advertised the hell out of this console with a brilliant campaign, I don't know how much more they could do now, outside of another price drop.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
BenjaminBirdie said:
They've advertised the shit out of:

- Assassin's Creed PS3
- Uncharted
- Ratchet & Clank
- The $399 PS3 Metal Montage

And a LOT more than MS advertised any exclusive, aside from Halo. Sorry, but that dog won't hunt.

Uncharted did get pushed like it should have and you know it. Hell they pushed AC more than Uncharted.

Chumly said:
360 currently has little over 30 as shown for million sellers. Wii has 12 currently and is outpacing the 360 in the same timeframe for million sellers.

I'm in the ballpark, anyway. And Wii should be outpacing it if you consider the rate of its hardware sales. Too bad it might take a while longer for third parties to figure out how to sell to the Wii crowd.

Top Bottom