• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

YYZ said:
Ratchet sales are pretty bad. Do people think this is a game strictly for younger players? Uncharted sales are alright, but it's only half of a month? Goddamnit we need some more million sellers on PS3.

And the guy listing PS3 games forgot LBP, for shame. With proper marketing, this game will fly.

It won't. It might become a grassroot hit with a very active community, but it will never be a mainstream hit. No, that's what Killzone 2 is destined for. And really, that's the only such title I see in the future for the PS3. Hell, I'm not sure even GT5 will do that remarkably, in the US that is.

orio7

Banned
Zzoram said:
The difference is, in Japan there are weeks when a big 360 release will chart but a PS3 release won't, even though PS3 has 3x the userbase there. In NA, the top 10 always has 4 360 games if not more. See Assassin's Creed in Japan as an example, it was #9 for the Xbox 360 version but the PS3 version wasn't up there.

Might have been because the PS3 version isn't out in Japan yet.

Grecco

Warm Machine said:
It just means that 3rd parties see a huge install base where they feel they can't make money on because the company that controls the console is their biggest competitor. Nintendo is too amazing to even try to even engage in a software war on their own turf. It is a war too, its a war for the dollar. Just recently there was a war on 360 to avoid the Halo 3 blackhole. 360 is easier though as MS doesn't release a possible million seller near bi monthly.

Is Wii Development that costly? I thought Dev Kits were much cheaper than their next gen competitors. So while you might not sell as many, you didnt need to to make money.

Nintendo consumers buy third party games. Case in point GH3 and Mario and Sonic this month.

Zzoram

orio7 said:
Might have been because the PS3 version isn't out in Japan yet.

Really? Why did they prioritize 360 localization? Shouldn't the voices be the same, so they could just copy them into the PS3 version? Couldn't they have just printed 1 Blu-ray with both voice tracks?

Kittonwy said:
By the time God of War 3 comes out the only people the game will benefit will be the fucking producers who'll get a big fat bonus for software sales, it'll be irrelevant in terms of pushing consoles. The only party Santa Monica looks out for is Santa Monica, that's it. They had a chance to make a difference by putting God of War 2 on the PS3 with more time to prep the game than any of the other first/second-party developers but they fucking blew their chance. They should just go back to making Kinetica and staying irrelevant on smaller budgets.

If they had skipped the quick cash in on the PS2, they could have had GOW3 out this Christmas as their big PS3 title. I agree that Sony was very short sighted with this game.

goomba said:
Check out the NPD thread at ps3forums.com :lol

Just did...check out this shit:

alright guys this whole NPD thing is a big scam. Its something created by gaffers to bring sony fans down, and make it look like they are losing. Notice how when its posted on gaf it comes WITHOUT A SOURCE, and the poster is named "SonyCowboy" if you look at his tag it says "Xbox 360 to sell 500 million units this year" indicating that he is clearly a fanboy. Also another thing, Uncharted sales were low. This game should have kicked halo's ass in sales, and it suspiciously it sold 117K units. Notice how that is what spartan number master chief is in the halo series. Hell even Jack Tretton said himself that PS3's don't sit on the shelves longer than 5 minutes, so there is no logical explanation why it is selling so low. Clearly gaf has played us like fools. Unite PS3 warriors and take down gaf!

:lol :lol :lol

Who from here posted that?

(still have only made it to page 21)

Lightning

Banned
Zzoram said:
The difference is, in Japan there are weeks when a big 360 release will chart but a PS3 release won't, even though PS3 has 3x the userbase there. In NA, the top 10 always has 4 360 games if not more. See Assassin's Creed in Japan as an example, it was #9 for the Xbox 360 version but the PS3 version wasn't up there.
Because Assassins Creed on the PS3 in Japan has not released yet. It was timed exclusive in Japan.

I have yet to see any simultaneous release of PS3/360 game sell more on the 360 then the PS3 in Japan. Timed exclusives on western style games have, but that's about it.

Zzoram

Iksenpets said:
Seriously, does anyone have a list of them? Off the top of my head I'm not coming up with nearly that many.

repost from earlier:

First Party:
1. Halo 3
2. Gears of War
3. Project Gotham Racing 3
4. Perfect Dark Zero
5. Forza 2
6. Crackdown
7. Mass Effect (Going to happen, 450K in Nov in NA alone, 1 million shipped WW)

Third Party
8. Oblivion
9. Guitar Hero 2
10.Bioshock
11.Madden NFL 08
12.Saints Row
13.Splinter Cell: Double Agent
14.Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
15.Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
16.Need for Speed: Most Wanted
17.Need for Speed: Carbon
18.Madden 07
19.Lost Planet
20.Dead Rising
21.Call of Duty 2
22.Rainbow Six: Vegas
23.Call of Duty 4
24.Guitar Hero 3
25.Assassins Creed

Warm Machine said:
It just means that 3rd parties see a huge install base where they feel they can't make money on because the company that controls the console is their biggest competitor. Nintendo is too amazing to even try to even engage in a software war on their own turf. It is a war too, its a war for the dollar. Just recently there was a war on 360 to avoid the Halo 3 blackhole. 360 is easier though as MS doesn't release a possible million seller near bi monthly.
Name me a game that has the same hype, comparable budget, and publisher support(development and marketing) as COD4, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Rock Band, Oblivion and others.

I can name Guitar Hero III...and Red Steel...and that's it. It's chicken and egg thing(the egg came before, btw).

Kittonwy

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
If they had skipped the quick cash in on the PS2, they could have had GOW3 out this Christmas as their big PS3 title. I agree that Sony was very short sighted with this game.

I'm pinning the blame on Studstill and Caterson, now that Barlog is gone.
Indifferent2.gif

Zzoram

Lightning said:
Because Assassins Creed on the PS3 in Japan has not released yet. It was timed exclusive in Japan.

I have yet to see any simultaneous release of PS3/360 game sell more on the 360 then the PS3 in Japan. Timed exclusives on western style games have, but that's about it.

I dont get why it's a timed exclusive there when it isn't anywhere else. What happened? Surely MS wouldn't pay for that would they?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Zzoram said:

The PS3 version hasn't been released yet.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I really don't know. AC and CoD4 showed that games can at least make a dent on the PS3, but Uncharted and R&C really should have done just as well. And any good impressions that third party performance might leave on developers is outshined by the performance of their snooty older brother; the 360 version.

It's a tight spot for sure.

The sales performance of those games is where it needs to be in order to justify future support, so I'm not exactly sure what you're arguing. Lead platform? That may become a matter of convenience and efficiency and have little to do with sales performance. If the most efficient way of doing things is to develop on 360 first and port to PS3, then developers will continue to do so. But there seems to be some divided opinions about that.

Kittonwy said:
When the hell is God of War 3 ever going to happen? 2009? 2010?

And to imagine that it was a hair from being a reality now.

tak

siamesedreamer said:

alright guys this whole NPD thing is a big scam. Its something created by gaffers to bring sony fans down, and make it look like they are losing. Notice how when its posted on gaf it comes WITHOUT A SOURCE, and the poster is named "SonyCowboy" if you look at his tag it says "Xbox 360 to sell 500 million units this year" indicating that he is clearly a fanboy. Also another thing, Uncharted sales were low. This game should have kicked halo's ass in sales, and it suspiciously it sold 117K units. Notice how that is what spartan number master chief is in the halo series. Hell even Jack Tretton said himself that PS3's don't sit on the shelves longer than 5 minutes, so there is no logical explanation why it is selling so low. Clearly gaf has played us like fools. Unite PS3 warriors and take down gaf!

so awesome

ZeoVGM

Banned
siamesedreamer said:

Wait wait

I think any sales numbers are biased against the PS3. It's at least 10 times more powerful than the Wii so each PS3 unit sold should count as at least 10 sales.

:lol

harSon

Banned
Heres a rough list of million sellers for all platforms, it's a mix of google searches and rough estimates.

I hadn't realized just how bad Playstation 3 software is really doing. Like all Nintendo products, the majority of top selling software is from their internal studios. And Microsoft is simply the platform of choice for all developers not focusing on the Japanese consumer.

Xbox 360
Code:
[B]First Party:[/B]
1. Halo 3
2. Gears of War
4. Perfect Dark Zero
5. Forza 2
6. Crackdown
7. Mass Effect (Going to happen)

[B]Third Party:[/B]
8. Oblivion
9. Guitar Hero 2
10.Bioshock
11.Madden NFL 08
12.Saints Row
18.Madden 07
19.Lost Planet
20.Dead Rising
21.Call of Duty 2
23.Call of Duty 4
24.Guitar Hero 3
25.Assassins Creed (Close enough)

Nintendo Wii
Code:
[B]First Party[/B]:
1.Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2.Mario Strikers Charged
3.Super Paper Mario
4.Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
5.Mario Party 8
6.Super Mario Galaxy
7.Wii Sports
8.Wii Play
9.Big Brain Academy

10.Resident Evil 4
11.Red Steel (?)
13.Rayman Raving Rabbits (?)

Playstation 3
Code:
1.Resistance: Fall of Man
2.Motor Storm

?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
BenjaminBirdie said:
I really don't know. AC and CoD4 showed that games can at least make a dent on the PS3, but Uncharted and R&C really should have done just as well. And any good impressions that third party performance might leave on developers is outshined by the performance of their snooty older brother; the 360 version.

It's a tight spot for sure.

So how does two 3rd party games outsell 2 just as great 1st party games? It has to have something to do with the marketing right?

fernoca

harSon said:
Off the top of my head I can think of:

Code:
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Paper Mario
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Mario Party 8
Super Mario Galaxy
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Big Brain Academy

[B]
Third Party:[/B]
Resident Evil 4
Red Steel (?)
Rayman Raving Rabbits (?)

Notice a trend? Like always, everything selling gangbusters has Nintendo's name attatched.
Considering that third-parties are basically releasing shit/shovelware games on the Wii, they better not start selling millions of them...

Then, the few good ones (like Zack & Wiki) don't receive any kind of advertising, the developers/publishers are the ones that need to get their act together if they want to start selling better on Nintendo consoles..

Lightning

Banned
Zzoram said:
I dont get why it's a timed exclusive there when it isn't anywhere else. What happened? Surely MS wouldn't pay for that would they?
Dunno why, I assume MS must have because the game doesn't release on the PS3 in Japan until Jan 31st

WinFonda

OldJadedGamer said:
10 Year Console.

But I can't wait for GOWIII on PS3. It's going to be soooo amazing. Hopefully worth the wait. I wouldn't want a GOW2 that started out on the PS2 and then shifted to PS3. I want them to take full advantage of the PS3, and I don't think they would have done so if they shifted mid development. It probably would have looked something on par with Heavenly Sword, which is pretty awesome, but I want more.

AltogetherAndrews said:
It won't. It might become a grassroot hit with a very active community, but it will never be a mainstream hit. No, that's what Killzone 2 is destined for. And really, that's the only such title I see in the future for the PS3. Hell, I'm not sure even GT5 will do that remarkably, in the US that is.
Killzone 2 is arriving too late to save the PS3. If it had been ready in time for this holiday, maybe it could have made a difference. But it's too late now.

siamesedreamer said:

8g3x0sk.gif

Bravo. Bra-fucking-vo. Whoever wrote.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
harSon said:
Heres a rough list of million sellers for all platforms, it's a mix of google searches and rough estimates.

I hadn't realized just how bad Playstation 3 software is really doing. Like all Nintendo products, the majority of top selling software is from their internal studios. And Microsoft is simply the platform of choice for all developers not focusing on the Japanese consumer.

Xbox 360
Code:
First Party:
1. Halo 3
2. Gears of War
4. Perfect Dark Zero
5. Forza 2
6. Crackdown
7. Mass Effect (Going to happen)

Third Party
8. Oblivion
9. Guitar Hero 2
10.Bioshock
11.Madden NFL 08
12.Saints Row
18.Madden 07
19.Lost Planet
20.Dead Rising
21.Call of Duty 2
23.Call of Duty 4
24.Guitar Hero 3
25.Assassins Creed (Close enough)

Nintendo Wii
Code:
[B]First Party[/B]:
1.Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2.Mario Strikers Charged
3.Super Paper Mario
4.Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
5.Mario Party 8
6.Super Mario Galaxy
7.Wii Sports
8.Wii Play
9.Big Brain Academy

10.Resident Evil 4
11.Red Steel (?)
13.Rayman Raving Rabbits (?)

Playstation 3
Code:
1.Resistance: Fall of Man
2.Motor Storm

?

Thanks- For Wii I would add GH3 and M&S as pretty definite 3rd party Wii games (GH3 over 700K, M&S at about 500K between U.S and Japan and it the top selling U.K game).

Lightning

Banned
We know that COD4 and Assassins Creed are selling well on the PS3 in Europe as well so they will both be million sellers by the end of the year on the PS3.

Piper Az

If you are a developer and are making a game right now, it's difficult not to put the 360 as your primary platform due to its dominant lead (installed base) over the PS3. If and when the PS3 catches up with the 360, developers will have more freedom to pick which console to mainly develop for. But, the cold fact of business is that developers would want to make as much money as possible by selling many copies of their games - and the 360, by its installed base and its 3rd party software sales, is king.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Gary Whitta said:
Killzone 2 is arriving too late to save the PS3. If it had been ready in time for this holiday, maybe it could have made a difference. But it's too late now.

and that's presuming it's going to be a spectacular triple-a game, despite the fact that it's coming from an unproven developer in a genre that is already prolific on all systems. it looks great, but it'd have to squeeze out some magic juju to be a system-saver

harSon

Banned
fernoca said:
Considering that third-parties are basically releasing shit/shovelware games on the Wii, they better not start selling millions of them...

Then, the few good ones (like Zack & Wiki) don't receive any kind of advertising, the developers/publishers are the ones that need to get their act together if they want to start selling better. :p

Yeah, that certainly seems to be the case :p Hopefully developers, in the near future, are forced to develop real games now that the Wii has established itself as the Next Generation leader.

Edit: It's just a rough chart to get an idea of how each platform is doing. Feel free to update it :p

Loudninja

beelzebozo said:
and that's presuming it's going to be a spectacular triple-a game, despite the fact that it's coming from an unproven developer in a genre that is already prolific on all systems. it looks great, but it'd have to squeeze out some magic juju to be a system-saver

huh

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
papelnabangka said:
It's been true of alot of Nintendo consoles that it only takes one game though. Probably not "save" though because those consoles were not in any danger. More like "ignite".

Mario did the NES, Tetris for the Gameboy, Pokemon for the GB, Brain Training for the DS and Wii Sports for the Wii(Wii Fit to a lesser extent but it's still a bit premature).

Pokemon reignited the GB and helped push the GBC. Brain Traing did help the DS but there where really 3 seperate ignitions (which probably helped make it the super sales beast it is today) Nintendogs, followed by BT, MK DS, and AC WW all in a small time frame (casual and hardcore) and then again with NSMB right before the Lite.

Piper Az said:
If you are a developer and are making a game right now, it's difficult not to put the 360 as your primary platform due to its dominant lead (installed base) over the PS3. If and when the PS3 catches up with the 360, developers will have more freedom to pick which console to mainly develop for. But, the cold fact of business is that developers would want to make as much money as possible by selling many copies of their games - and the 360, by its installed base and its 3rd party software sales, is king.

Its not even the install base. The average PS3 owner does not compare to the average X360 owner in games purchased.

The PS3 might be moving systems decently enough, but it has some serious, serious problems moving software.

Gary Whitta said:

I guess it depends on what "saving" means. I think it will have a big impact on sales, but I also think it will be the only game to have much of an impact. In the US, at least. I don't think there is much chance of Sony ever coming close to catching up to the rest here, but if it can position itself with comfortable sales and increase sales in other parts of the world then that's hardly the catastrophic picture some would paint. In the end, it's more than a one product race, for both MS and Sony.

jgwhiteus

schuelma said:
I guess Rabbids 2 bombed? Ubisoft is probably pretty disappointed

I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't expecting it, though, based on public comments by Ubisoft's pres (the speech where he commented on making "Nintendo-quality" games next year). I mean, I'll hand it to them - great, funny marketing campaign, but I think even Ubisoft realizes they sort of got a "free pass" with the original Rabbids being a launch game. Hopefully Ubisoft will step it up a bit next year.

As for other third parties, I imagine that Sega must be pretty happy with M & S's numbers (and it also looks like it's the type of game that has legs), and Capcom is probably satisfied with RE:UC - didn't they only expect to sell 600K worldwide over its entire life, and it's already ~150K in Japan and 120K here in its first month? It should surpass 600K worldwide easily, just as RE4 surpassed expectations. Maybe it'll make up for Z&W bombing :/

Disney's also probably satisfied with HSM - I don't think it cost a lot to develop, so maybe it's already turned a profit. It's funny; I remember a lot of Disney games on PS2, but this gen their main platform is the DS, with some games on Wii and PS2 - nothing on PS3 or 360. Which is a small victory for Nintendo, and something Microsoft and Sony should actually be concerned about - Disney might not be a mega-publisher, but they do have some popular IPs, and I think their choices are representative of where "family" companies are going this gen - completely to Nintendo. PS3's priced themselves out of the family demographic, and X360 just has the wrong userbase. Neither system will capture the "parent trying to buy the best system for their kid" contingent (which is ultimately pretty sizeable) if they don't broaden their offerings a bit more.

Top Bottom