• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

Agent Icebeezy said:
Look at every game you've mentioned for the Nintendo, paradigm shifting games

Mario is the reason we are here right now
Tetris is the quintessial easy to play, hard to master game, and kickass in multiplay
Pokemon is basically mario for the kids
Brain Training gave adults a reason to pick up a console
Wii Sports is the uber pack-in

Someone just offered a new list
Metal Gear Solid 4
Final Fantasy 13
God of War 3
Killzone 2
GT5

No, just no. People need to let it go. All of these franchises are building on what they have already established. It would take something like a Home to do it because it's different in the market space. My big thing with Home is that there are a million other companies doing similar things on the net and have been doing them for years
It was my point, paradigm shifts. It only takes one game. On Nintendo consoles at least.

The others on non-Nintendo systems I do agree with you. It was probably in combination with the other games or other reasons(FF VII, GT, move to 3d for the PSone. FFX, GTAIII succesor to the PSone for the PS2) more than one game itself.

taconinja

I apologize, but I've tried searching the thread and haven't been able to find a post with the Fire Emblem numbers. Have I missed it?

Zzoram

Agent Icebeezy said:
You can't go Sunday watching NFL Football without seeing a PS3 ad at least 10 times a day. Now Starting at $399. THey advertised the hell out of this console with a brilliant campaign, I don't know how much more they could do now, outside of another price drop.

$299 Xbox 360 premium vs $349 40gb PS3 for GTA:IV, spring 2008.

if GTA4 runs well on 360 WITHOUT a harddrive, then $229 Arcade would become a factor.

koam

3.6 million screens
1.9 million gamecubes

holy shit!!!

I'm actually really impressed with the Galaxy numbers. I was expecting like 700K.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Agent Icebeezy said:
You can't go Sunday watching NFL Football without seeing a PS3 ad at least 10 times a day. Now Starting at $399. THey advertised the hell out of this console with a brilliant campaign, I don't know how much more they could do now, outside of another price drop.

Push the actual games. I want to see Uncharted and R&C pushed like Assassin's Creed and COD4.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Gary Whitta said:
No idea, I never really worked that closely with them. I have no idea why they went with the PS3 for UT3 over 360. I bet they are starting to wish they did though.

Frankly I think the UT franchise is played out. It's just too self-consciously EX-TREME!!!??! for my tastes these days and I don't see what they're really doing to advance the franchise other than improving the graphics, and it's the same tired pseudo-futuristic industrial bullshit design style every time. Yawn.

Plus I think it got fucked on the PC side by TF2 which came out first and swallowed up a lot of the FPS player base.

Isn't the official reason due to mods?

Raw64life

Again, for anyone who missed it or doesn't feel like wading through the thread...

360 ROCK BAND (T) 312K
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED: COLLECTOR'S EDITION (M) 140K

WII MARIO AND SONIC AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES (E) 328K
WII WII ZAPPER W/ LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING (E) 232K
WII LEGO STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE TRILOGY (E) 180K
WII HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL (E) 180K
WII RESIDENT EVIL UMBRELLA CHRONICLES (M) 121K
WII MANHUNT 2 (M) 19K

NDS LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS (E) 227K
NDS FINAL FANTASY XII: REVENANT WINGS (E) 49K

PS3 UNCHARTED: DRAKE'S FORTUNE (T) 117K
PS3 RATCHET & CLANK FUTURE (T) 66K
PS3 ROCK BAND (T) 70K

PC CRYSIS (M) 87K
PC UNREAL TOURNAMENT 3 (M) 34K

-----

Rough LTDs

360 HALO 3 - ~4.1 million
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED - ~1.1 million
360 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~860K

WII WII PLAY W/REMOTE - ~3.0 million
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~710K
WII METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION - ~500K
WII ZACK & WIKI QUEST FOR BARBARO'S TREASURE - ~35K

NDS LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS ~710K

PS3 RATCHET & CLANK FUTURE - ~140K

PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~1.5 million

-----

Hardware LTD Japan:

WII - 4,060,486
PS3 - 1,467,083
360 - 482,568

Hardware LTD America:

360: 7,862,151
WII: 6,019,685
PS3: 2,446,649

TwinIonEngines said:
Not in the absolute sense, which is what signifies.

And which is what signs paychecks. You claim some kind of statistical victory but if you're giving publishers a quarter of the money, you're going to get a quarter of the attention. Just look at Rock Band, unfortunately.

Kittonwy

Banned
Piper Az said:
Five games can still make the PS3 successful in the USA:

Metal Gear Solid 4
Final Fantasy 13
God of War 3
Killzone 2
GT5

By the time God of War 3 comes out the only people the game will benefit will be the fucking producers who'll get a big fat bonus for software sales, it'll be irrelevant in terms of pushing consoles. The only party Santa Monica looks out for is Santa Monica, that's it. They had a chance to make a difference by putting God of War 2 on the PS3 with more time to prep the game than any of the other first/second-party developers but they fucking blew their chance. They should just go back to making Kinetica and staying irrelevant on smaller budgets.
Indifferent2.gif

I wonder how long the userbase excuse when it comes to multiplatform sales is going to last?
Hopefully it doesn't last too long...

If by 2010 I still have to hear stuff like "Well the 360 has three times the userbase as the PS3 that's why all of the games are selling better on it." well...you see what I'm getting at.

Zzoram

BenjaminBirdie said:
And which is what signs paychecks. You claim some kind of statistical victory but if you're giving publishers a quarter of the money, you're going to get a quarter of the attention. Just look at Rock Band, unfortunately.

Rock Band, the 360 version outsold the PS3 version 4.5:1

Grecco

mckmas8808 said:
Push the actual games. I want to see Uncharted and R&C pushed like Assassin's Creed and COD4.

Eh Uncharted got a shitload of adds by Sony where they pushed Just the game

IF you wanna bitch about the quality of the ad. The whole "I think its for you" thing go ahead. But Sony pushed it alot. Thats no excuse.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Warm Machine said:
How many of those are non Nintendo titles?

Annnnnnnnnnnnd we're back right to where NPD thread usually come to :lol Surprised it took this long

mckmas8808 said:

Those were partnerships. And also, they were just as much available games as Uncharted and R&C. R&C has a double page spread in every comic I read, every week. And I saw that Uncharted ad as many times as I saw the AC one. There's no way at all Uncharted received only one third of the advertising as Assassin's. Not from the TV I was watching.

Zzoram

Loudninja said:

I bought Dec.7th, I suspect it came out in November.

I didn't even know about it until Jeff Green spoke about it on 2 episodes of GFW, then I saw the Gametrailers video review and went to the mall :lol

RBH

Cheebs said:
Fixed:

rotk1427pr2.jpg

PlayStation 3 466K

LOTR2.jpg

PlayStation 2 496K

fotr0045tt6.jpg

PSP 567K

rotk2366oe4.jpg

Xbox 360 770K

fotr0162ir2.jpg

Wii 981K

rotk2447hm2.jpg

Nintendo DS 1.53 million

Hellsing321 said:
Nintendo DS 1.53 million
th_kramerdreamcoat.gif

Wii 981K
8axnlg5.gif

Xbox 360 770K
th_kramercar.gif

PSP 567K
th_blackwhitecookie.gif

PlayStation 2 496K
7293s3q.gif

PlayStation 3 466K
th_newmantruckfire.gif

*Gifs courtesy of Seinfeld appreciation thread

These are the types of things that make me fucking love NPD day so much. :lol :lol

YYZ

Ratchet sales are pretty bad. Do people think this is a game strictly for younger players? Uncharted sales are alright, but it's only half of a month? Goddamnit we need some more million sellers on PS3.

And the guy listing PS3 games forgot LBP, for shame. With proper marketing, this game will fly.

Zzoram said:
Rock Band, the 360 version outsold the PS3 version 4.5:1

Yeah, exactly. But people will tell you to instead of looking at the revenue to the publishers, look instead at how it pans out by userbase and ratio.

That's good news in the long term, potentially, but publishers have to pay their bills now, not when the PS3 has the same sized userbase as the 360 does.

Loudninja

Zzoram said:
I bought Dec.7th, I suspect it came out in November.

I didn't even know about it until Jeff Green spoke about it on 2 episodes of GFW, then I saw the Gametrailers video review and went to the mall :lol

I might have to get it as well

harSon

Banned
Chumly said:
360 currently has little over 30 as shown for million sellers. Wii has 12 currently and is outpacing the 360 in the same timeframe for million sellers.

Off the top of my head I can think of:

Code:
[B]First Party:[/B]
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Paper Mario
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Mario Party 8
Super Mario Galaxy
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Big Brain Academy

[B]
Third Party:[/B]
Resident Evil 4
Red Steel (?)
Rayman Raving Rabbits (?)

Notice a trend? Like always, everything selling gangbusters has Nintendo's name attatched.

Zzoram

Grecco said:
Eh Uncharted got a shitload of adds by Sony where they pushed Just the game

IF you wanna bitch about the quality of the ad. The whole "I think its for you" thing go ahead. But Sony pushed it alot. Thats no excuse.

I've seen the Uncharted specific ad in Canada more times on TV than the Mass Effect ad.

I've seen the super annoying PSP ads waaay more than any other video game ad.

orio7

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I wonder how long the userbase excuse when it comes to multiplatform sales is going to last?

If by 2010 I still have to hear stuff like "Well the 360 has three times the userbase as the PS3 that's why all of the games are selling better on it." well...you see what I'm getting at.

What excuse did you use when the PS2 version outsold the Xbox version of multiplatform games?

Sean

Banned
WickedAngel said:
Luckily, Sony has a lot of excellent titles to pull in. I'm sure that the inevitable God of War 3 will move a ridiculous amount of systems.

Like what exactly? I can only see three potential system sellers coming from Sony first party (the games we know about anyway) - GoW3, GT5, and maybe Killzone 2.

This is the PS3's biggest problem IMO. Sony focused on first party instead of third party, and it bit them in the ass. I think it's safe to say that most people bought PS2 for the 3rd party exclusives.

schuelma said:
Annnnnnnnnnnnd we're back right to where NPD thread usually come to :lol Surprised it took this long
It's a fair statement but still doesn't change the fact that the Wii has at least 11 million sellers already, not including Wii Play.

Mario & Sonic and Wii Fit should easily join the million seller club. Same with Guitar Hero III, for a grand total of 14 million sellers not including Wii Play.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
BenjaminBirdie said:
Those were partnerships. And also, they were just as much available games as Uncharted and R&C. R&C has a double page spread in every comic I read, every week. And I saw that Uncharted ad as many times as I saw the AC one. There's no way at all Uncharted received only one third of the advertising as Assassin's. Not from the TV I was watching.

Well from the TV I was watching it was. But you are right about the magazine stuff. Sony did push R&C and Uncharted HARD on the internet and magazines.

WTF is the problem? Like someone else said it might be that many people are buying the PS3 as a Blu-ray only player and not a games machine.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Gary Whitta said:
No idea, I never really worked that closely with them. I have no idea why they went with the PS3 for UT3 over 360. I bet they are starting to wish they did though.

Frankly I think the UT franchise is played out. It's just too self-consciously EX-TREME!!!??! for my tastes these days and I don't see what they're really doing to advance the franchise other than improving the graphics, and it's the same tired pseudo-futuristic industrial bullshit design style every time. Yawn.

Plus I think it got fucked on the PC side by TF2 which came out first and swallowed up a lot of the FPS player base.

Thanks for your insights Gary, I agree with you on all fronts.

I bet Sony's PR will look like:

"PS3 is the big winner for the Month of November selling on a month to month basis a larger percentage gain than any other console. The PS3 upped its sales by more than 400% since October while Wii couldn't even double their sales from last month. And 360 could just barely double their sales. Looking at how PS3 did last year from November to December we expect PS3 sales to at least double in December, putting sales right with our competitors, and putting us in great shape for 2008."

What do you think? Pretty good huh?

YYZ said:
And the guy listing PS3 games forgot LBP, for shame. With proper marketing, this game will fly.

This one is going to hurt the most. Seriously. LBP is spectacularly inventive. But if R&C, an established franchise, can't make a dent with an exceptional installment, something as quirky and slightly difficult to explain succinctly (see most recent trailer) is going to have an even more difficult go at it.

We'll see, but it's going to be hard to watch this game have the same reception as Uncharted or R&C.

Kittonwy

Banned
WickedAngel said:
Luckily, Sony has a lot of excellent titles to pull in. I'm sure that the inevitable God of War 3 will move a ridiculous amount of systems.

It's difficult because the people who pick sides aren't used to seeing Sony in this position. Sony is doing fine but they've never been anything less than dominant since the original Playstation started moving.

When the hell is God of War 3 ever going to happen? 2009? 2010?

Lightning

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:

Probably as long as the "It's good for a 360 game" when it comes to Japan sales...

perfectchaos007 said:

"PS3 is the big winner for the Month of November selling on a month to month basis a larger percentage gain than any other console. The PS3 upped its sales by more than 400% since October while Wii couldn't even double their sales from last month. And 360 could just barely double their sales. Looking at how PS3 did last year from November to December we expect PS3 sales to at least double in December, putting sales right with our competitors, and putting us in great shape for 2008."

I wouldn't be surprised if they were copying and pasting this into their PR right now.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I guess Rabbids 2 bombed? Ubisoft is probably pretty disappointed

Slavik81

Warm Machine said:
How many of those are non Nintendo titles?
I'd guess maybe 4?
Mostly because Nintendo put out the best titles. If SEGA released a game as good as Mario Galaxy, I'm sure it would sell great too.

perfectchaos007 said:

You speak fluent bullshit, apply for a job with Sony PR forthwith.

WinFonda

BenjaminBirdie said:
Because its direct competitor, the one it's supposedly on its way to catching up to, sold three times as much. Because with the same sized user base, Dead Rising sold 500k. Because Sony invested in two quarters worth of exclusives that have not significantly delivered.

There are plenty of reasons why November's software numbers are not good news for Sony.

What about them? Of course 360's software is going to sell more, they have a bigger console base in NA--it's just continuing the same trend. Was anyone predicting otherwise? The PS3 actually broke a trend though, two 3rd party games actually had some solid sales.

I'm not sure what Dead Rising has to do with Sony's holiday sales, but it's obviously a flawed comparison. Dead Rising came at a perfect time. It had been awhile since there was a high profile release on the 360, (I believe the last big one was Oblivion) and people were waiting for the next big game. It had absolutely no next-gen competition. And it avoided the holiday rush where a lot of titles like that can get overlooked, and it most likely would have been if it went up against Gears of War. Great timing by Capcom.

So whatever. I guess we disagree? Great, solved that one.

Zzoram

Lightning said:
Probably as long as the "It's good for a 360 game" when it comes to Japan sales...

The difference is, in Japan there are weeks when a big 360 release will chart but a PS3 release won't, even though PS3 has 3x the userbase there. In NA, the top 10 always has 4 360 games if not more. See Assassin's Creed in Japan as an example, it was #9 for the Xbox 360 version but the PS3 version wasn't up there.

papelnabangka said:
It's a fair statement but still doesn't change the fact that the Wii has at least 11 million sellers already, not including Wii Play.

Mario and Sonic should easily join the million seller club. Same with Guitar Hero III, for a grand total of 13 million sellers not including Wii Play.

It just means that 3rd parties see a huge install base where they feel they can't make money on because the company that controls the console is their biggest competitor. Nintendo is too amazing to even try to even engage in a software war on their own turf. It is a war too, its a war for the dollar. Just recently there was a war on 360 to avoid the Halo 3 blackhole. 360 is easier though as MS doesn't release a possible million seller near bi monthly.

chris0701

perfectchaos007 said:

Sony has issue official PR words about Nov. NPD. They are really happy to see the great growth rate about PS3.

mckmas8808 said:
Well from the TV I was watching it was. But you are right about the magazine stuff. Sony did push R&C and Uncharted HARD on the internet and magazines.

WTF is the problem? Like someone else said it might be that many people are buying the PS3 as a Blu-ray only player and not a games machine.

I really don't know. AC and CoD4 showed that games can at least make a dent on the PS3, but Uncharted and R&C really should have done just as well. And any good impressions that third party performance might leave on developers is outshined by the performance of their snooty older brother; the 360 version.

It's a tight spot for sure.

Top Bottom