• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Rapping Granny said:
GO CALL OF DUTY WOOOoooo.

is it 2 million by now or what?

I wish Activision relises that people don't want to play in WW2 settings anymore.

I bet they almost wished that they hadn't put CoD5 in Treyarch's hands now. Shit is going to bomb compared to CoD4

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Read a NY Times article tonight on the Wii. Interesting quote from Gamestop exec- they could sell THREE TIMES the amount of Wii's if they just got them in.

I'm not trying to say Nintendo is intentionally withholding supply..but they most certainly screwed up their holiday projections. Harrison says they have to determine supply 5-6 months in advance..well, you're telling me they couldn't tell back in May that demand would be incredibly high around Christmas? Nintendo fugged up this holiday and are going to lose a lot of money.

WinFonda

BenjaminBirdie said:
I didn't take your use of winning literally. You meant "can't win" as in "they are being persecuted". I responded to that by saying "No. People are not persecuting them. They are simply discussing the facts as they stand."

Ok, so discuss the facts: Explain why it's a bad thing PS3 had it's best third party performance, in well... ever? Because Uncharted got overlooked? Because of one months sales? Give me a break. It's simply a fact of life in this industry. Good games don't always sell as well as they deserve, but that doesn't mean Uncharted is one of them... Yet. And yes, people are persecuting PS3 owners for having the same general tastes as 360 owners. Go back and flip through the thread. It makes no sense. No sense at all.

Firewire

Banned
papelnabangka said:
All the new PS3 IPs this year either bomba or failed to move significant amounts of hardware.

Now that the "big guns" for the PS3 are out, it should put into rest that Sony can supposedly survive on their own like Nintendo. They can't. LBP is probably one of the only new ones that could but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. Sony still needs third parties to survive.

Fortunately for them the PS2 legacy gave them a bit of a leeway when it comes to that support, and the 360 will somewhat help them via ports. For now anyway.
What big guns? Everything was a new IP.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Pachael said:
They do, unfortunately. Unless PS3 UT3 sells like hot pancakes, of course. It was only a year ago when Gears was selling millions (to counter the whole 'comparative userbase' argument vis a vis the PS3) - I'm sure Mark Rein's nostalgic for those days when an Epic title sells heaps.

Gears hype allowed Mark to be more visible as well.

Rlan

I'm more surprised that Assasins Creed sold much more than Bioshock did in general, despite Bioshock getting almost all 10's and AC being all over the place.

I'd love to know what Bioshocks been doing month on month since release.

ypo

Uncharted just doesn't mass appeal in today's market. It has no in your face explosions and violence. It's too subdued. Sad but true.

Loudninja said:
The big guns are NOT out

That's because the "Big Guns" keep getting swapped out for new ones.

Seriously, there was plenty of talk about Uncharted and R&C turning out to be, if not Gears Level Successes, at least boosting the console in some way.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
goldenpp72 said:
I expected blue dragon to sell.. something during november and december, it's a more kid oriented looking game ya know? Viva too.. and kind of hoped pgr4 would continue the trend of selling a million some day.

Didn't PGR4 completely bomb last month? Was it like 46K or something?

greepoman

Odysseus said:
it's so awesome for blizzard to share that warcraft money with everybody else, too.

I wouldn't care about blizzard single handedly killing PC gaming if they just got off their asses and got Starcraft2 & Diablo 3 out the door ;)

Dirtbag

I don't see how nintendo doesn't have an additional factory pumping out wiis by now. They should be producing double the amount of wiis, it's not like they won't sell, and it's not like the wii is expensive to make. They make a ton of profit off the wii as it stands.

Firewire said:
What big guns? Everything was a new IP.

There have been a ton of "Just wait until *xxx* comes out, then sales will skyrocket!" games that just haven't moved the systems in the way that people expected.

Gran Turismo is going to be the big system mover next year. Metal Gear Solid 4 looks like it is shaping up to be an incredible ride but I've got to question whether or not that series is actually relevant to as large of an audience anymore.

ZeoVGM

Banned
dummy said:
If that's not a harbinger of the death of real games, I'm not sure what is, but it's Nintendo's world now and we just live in it.

Not only does High School Musical selling have nothing to do with Nintendo, but I love how you blatantly ignored what the top selling games of the month are.

Slavik81

IronicallyTwisted said:
November is a huge sales month though. Even if UT3 sells 34k 12 times over its sales are still awful.
Also, Europe.

At least, I expect those two things are what will make Crysis a success. I suspect that UT3 just flopped. That's ok, though. UT3 seemed to be nearly as much about improving and showing off the Unreal Engine as it was about releasing a game.

Rlan said:
I'm more surprised that Assasins Creed sold much more than Bioshock did in general, despite Bioshock getting almost all 10's and AC being all over the place.

I'd love to know what Bioshocks been doing month on month since release.

I would say advertising but Bioshock had some pretty awesome commercials. Assassin's Creed is a name that grabs your eye, though...

WinFonda said:
Ok, so discuss the facts: Explain why it's a bad thing PS3 had it's best third party performance, in... well ever. Because Uncharted got overlooked? Because of one months sales? Give me a break. It's simply a fact of life in this industry. Good games don't always sell as well as they deserve, but that doesn't mean Uncharted is one of them... Yet. And yes, people are persecuting PS3 owners for having the same general tastes as 360 owners. Go back and flip through the thread. It makes no sense. No sense at all.

Because its direct competitor, the one it's supposedly on its way to catching up to, sold three times as much. Because with the same sized user base, Dead Rising sold 500k. Because Sony invested in two quarters worth of exclusives that have not significantly delivered.

There are plenty of reasons why November's software numbers are not good news for Sony.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Speevy said:
These perceptions are all over the place, I can't even keep up.

If you think the Xbox 360's numbers are just OMG Spectacular, extrapolate them over 3 more years. See if the number you get is more than a drop in the pond.

Extrapolate the 360 software sales over 3 years and see what you get. Yes they are OMFG Spectacular.

D3MO

Banned
so MGSIV is pretty much multiplat.

The best game on the PS3 so far...manages to sell 117k....in like 2 weeks.

how in hell is supposed to MGSIV break 1 million in 1 day?

Lets say the fanbase triples...and twice as many people buy MGSIV on day 1.

that's still ~900k....

tsk tsk tsk

gg sony

Any1 wanna buy my PS3?

$599.99 - 60GB PS3 (EE+GS), COD4, Oblivion, Virtua Tennis 3, Resistance Fall of Man, + GT5:p Japanesse demo (among others)

Meier said:
More like congratulations idiot developers, you just made games that NO ONE CAN RUN and got reamed for it. It would be like selling an Xbox 720 game... 2 or 3 years before it came out and expecting it to do well.
Pretty much. The mean level of hardware performance in the PC gaming crowd has not kept up with the expectations of new big budget software whose primary draw is the increase in visual complexity. WoW continuing to dominate the market certainly doesn't help. Software piracy is a huge chunk out of that as well.

Zzoram

Slavik81 said:
Also, Europe.

At least, I expect those two things are what will make Crysis a success. I suspect that UT3 just flopped. That's ok, though. UT3 seemed to be nearly as much about improving and showing off the Unreal Engine as it was about releasing a game.

I'm pretty sure nVidia also partly subsidized Crysis, considering that they only ever demoed it with nVidia 8800s and put nVidia logos on the box and in the splash screen.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Because its direct competitor, the one it's supposedly on its way to catching up to, sold three times as much. Because with the same sized user base, Dead Rising sold 500k. Because Sony invested in two quarters worth of exclusives that have not significantly delivered.

There are plenty of reasons why November's software numbers are not good news for Sony.

Dead Rising sold much better than that, didn't it? I thought it sold a couple of million (And in a slower part of the year as well). Were you talking about the first month of sales?

YYZ

fernoca said:
:O!! @ #1, #2 and #3!
Super Mario Galaxy at a million copies was a given, but Call of Duty 4 and Assasin's Creed too?! :O!
you're surprised at CoD4 breaking a million? It broke well over 1.5 million overall :lol

I'm a little surprised at AC, but it was marketed very well.

besada

Banned
Father_Brain said:
I think that's an exaggeration. Still, I expect it to do well under 200K in its first month.

PS3 needs to let me look at the games users have played. Then I could personally verbally assault the PS3 owners who didn't buy Uncharted and won't buy LBP.

goldenpp72

Ok im going to make game request one more time since no one seems to have a compiled list. 360 only here. If any of these can be answered (LTD, this month) ill be happy :)

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
Need for Speed: ProStreet
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2008
Madden NFL 08
**** & *****: Dead Men
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
The Simpsons Game
Scene It? Lights Camera Action
Guitar Hero II
Gears Of War
Naruto: Rise of a Ninja
Bioshock
Skate
Tony Hawk Proving Ground
Viva Pinata
Half-Life 2: The Orange Box
Ace Combat 6
Beautiful Katamari
Blue dragon
Eternal sonata
Project gotham racing 4
Virtua Fighter 5

Thanks, sorry if annoying, but all of these need data some day :p

WickedAngel said:
There have been a ton of "Just wait until *xxx* comes out, then sales will skyrocket!" games that just haven't moved the systems in the way that people expected.

Gran Turismo is going to be the big system mover next year. Metal Gear Solid 4 looks like it is shaping up to be an incredible ride but I've got to question whether or not that series is actually relevant to as large of an audience anymore.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd rule out any 3rd party games being system sellers for the PS3 since I'm pretty sure the big third party titles like MGS4 and FFXIII will go multi-platform to the 360. That follows suit with just about every other game that was going to be third party exclusive on PS3 but ended up going third party because of lackluster sales of the PS3. So basically Gran Turismo is about it since Sony actually owns polyphony. And maybe HOME could sell systems. But the point is that its up to Sony's first party to get this system back on its feet. Third parties won't do it for them anymore like they did in the past.

WickedAngel said:
Dead Rising sold much better than that, didn't it? I thought it sold a couple of million (And in a slower part of the year as well). Were you talking about the first month of sales?

First month.

People can obviously say the climate was different, and it was.

But the fact is, for Sony, there's no difference. In fact, they're losing more because they funded the development. People can look at it a certain way and explain WHY Uncharted didn't do better than Dead Rising, but the fact is that the FACT that it didn't do as well is BAD.

I don't know why that's so controversial a position.

D3MO

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
As far as I'm concerned, I'd rule out any 3rd party games being system sellers for the PS3 since I'm pretty sure the big third party titles like MGS4 and FFXIII will go multi-platform to the 360. That follows suit with just about every other game that was going to be third party exclusive on PS3 but ended up going third party because of lackluster sales of the PS3. So basically Gran Turismo is about it since Sony actually owns polyphony. And maybe HOME could sell systems. But the point is that its up to Sony's first party to get this system back on its feet. Third parties won't do it for them anymore like they did in the past.

Sony still has a couple franchises that they own that might pull the PS3 out of this hole.

God of War 3
GT5
err...help me out here...

perfectchaos007 said:

Luckily, Sony has a lot of excellent titles to pull in. I'm sure that the inevitable God of War 3 will move a ridiculous amount of systems.

BenjaminBirdie said:
First month.

People can obviously say the climate was different, and it was.

But the fact is, for Sony, there's no difference. In fact, they're losing more because they funded the development. People can look at it a certain way and explain WHY Uncharted didn't do better than Dead Rising, but the fact is that the FACT that it didn't do as well is BAD.

I don't know why that's so controversial a position.

It's difficult because the people who pick sides aren't used to seeing Sony in this position. Sony is doing fine but they've never been anything less than dominant since the original Playstation started moving.

Meier

chespace said:
Anyone got sales numbers for NFS: ProStreet?

Thanks.

I was just going to post about this. What a HUGE bomb.. remember all those years ago when NFS was basically the biggest series for a few months year in and year out? Oh wait.. that was 3 years ago?!

WickedAngel said:
Luckily, Sony has a lot of excellent titles to pull in. I'm sure that the inevitable God of War 3 will move a ridiculous amount of systems.

Really? Didn't GoW come around at a point where the PS2's userbase was already GINORMOUS? Isn't it more of a success because owners already flocked to the system? If something like GTA4 explodes the userbase of the 360 the way it did the PS2, won't the next GoW be, like, Gears Of War 2? Or something?

Meier said:
More like congratulations idiot developers, you just made games that NO ONE CAN RUN and got reamed for it. It would be like selling an Xbox 720 game... 2 or 3 years before it came out and expecting it to do well.

It's somewhat blunt, but I have to admit, this is truth, and as a longtime PC gamer, it is unfortunate.

RBH

Speaking of bombs, WWE Smackdown vs. Raw looks to be a huge bomb in comparison to last year.

I believe that it did about 300k+ in November '06 for the 360 version, and they probably didn't even come close to that this year.

Rlan

Meier said:
I was just going to post about this. What a HUGE bomb.. remember all those years ago when NFS was basically the biggest series for a few months year in and year out? Oh wait.. that was 2 years ago?!

Forza killed the racing game genre?

gkryhewy

Meier said:
I was just going to post about this. What a HUGE bomb.. remember all those years ago when NFS was basically the biggest series for a few months year in and year out? Oh wait.. that was 3 years ago?!

And to think, that dog killed RR6 at the 360 launch. And FOR WHAT? FOR WHAT?

Top Bottom