• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

bendak said:
Wow, UT3 failed. I bet it will fail on PS3 as well.

Maybe Epic will realize they just need to announce Gears 2 already.

They also should have put UT3 on 360. 360 owners would have snatched it up like cheap crack.

Actually, with the delay to a more calm time of year on the 360, it could completely obliterate PS3 sales. Like, Nuclear Winter.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
bendak said:
Wow, UT3 failed. I bet it will fail on PS3 as well.

Maybe Epic will realize they just need to announce Gears 2 already.

They also should have put UT3 on 360. 360 owners would have snatched it up like cheap crack.

Ummmm, I don't think they report PC sales...

edit: Nevermind, didnt see the PC sales

Deku

Banned
Biggest megaton, and it's not much of a megaton is SMG not being #1 game of the month. The hardware numbers are just about in-line with expectations, though PS3 was probably on the low end of most predictions.

A disappointing NPD =[

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Here is the 360/PS3 software I have so far for Nov. Anything known that I am missing?

360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 1 1.57 million
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED UBISOFT NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 3 980K
360 MASS EFFECT MICROSOFT (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 6 473K
360 HALO 3 MICROSOFT (CORP) SEP 2007 MATURE (M) 9 387K
360 Guitar Hero III 367.2K
360 ROCK BAND (T) 312K

PS3 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 7 444K
PS3 ASSASSIN'S CREED UBISOFT NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 10 377K
PS3 UNCHARTED: DRAKE'S FORTUNE (T) 117K
PS3 RATCHET & CLANK FUTURE (T) 66K
PS3 ROCK BAND (T) 70K

besada

Banned
Sysgen said:
Uncharted had a demo and it couldn't break 120K, so either it's not one of the best games of the year or the demo was poor and failed to sell the product. I am inclined to believe the latter.

Or the majority of PS3 users really are cheap Blu-Ray buyers.

I'm astonished at the lack of sales for Uncharted. I bought it and loved it. It's gorgeous and fun. PS3 owners who don't have this game apparently don't want good, original games on the platform.

Great sales for everyone else. It horrifies me that High School Musical sold better than Uncharted. If that's not a harbinger of the death of real games, I'm not sure what is, but it's Nintendo's world now and we just live in it.

Odysseus said:
what stumpokapow posted was really alarming. i mean, we knew 360 was obviously doing better, but wow. and then consider the wii. wowow
This has been my exact point in thread after thread.

There's only so much failure a platform can take before it nullifies it's existence. The PS3 might not be doing that badly comparing with early 360, but it's not being compared to the 360 of 2006, it's being compared to the 360 of now... the one with the 6.5-7 million unit lead the world over.

Putting the Wii into the equation screws Sony up further.

WinFonda

Dirtbag 504 said:
Why do I smile at the PS3 numbers every month? I own one, I should want it to do well.
Every logical bone in my body tells me I should care, yet I don't.

Part of it is certainly the grief I've heard for so long being a xbox fan, but I think the bigger part of it is the image sony projected before this got going.

I think I enjoy the collapse of the ego the most. I feel for the developers, I really do. But something about the whole thing makes me giggle on the inside. My mean streak is flaring up again.

~forum confessions
What goes around comes around. Sony fanboys are going to turn the same way, just as bitter, and as soon as Sony gets back on top--it's going to be relentless. You shouldn't dish it if you can't take it.

But I, unlike you, wish all the best to everyone involved. The more competition the better. The PS3 has benefited greatly from the X360 thus far and 360 will benefit from a strong PS3 as well.

Loudninja

Shepherd said:
Here is the software I have so far for Nov. Anything known that I am missing?

360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 1 1.57 million
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED UBISOFT NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 3 980K
360 MASS EFFECT MICROSOFT (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 6 473K
360 HALO 3 MICROSOFT (CORP) SEP 2007 MATURE (M) 9 387K
360 Guitar Hero III 367.2K
360 ROCK BAND (T) 312K

PS3 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 7 444K
PS3 ASSASSIN'S CREED UBISOFT NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 10 377K
PS3 UNCHARTED: DRAKE'S FORTUNE (T) 117K
PS3 RATCHET & CLANK FUTURE (T) 66K
PS3 ROCK BAND (T) 70K

What are you talking about?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I hope one day we get the real Microsoft/Epic story.

You don't piss away a guaranteed 1 million unit seller because MS didn't let you put through free Gears DLC. Also, Epic's whole "closed system" argument does not hold any water whatsoever. WHO THE FUCK CARES AT THE END OF THE DAY? You're selling UT3 to Joe Sixpack 360 who's gonna play the shit out of the game for 3 months and then move on to the next title. He doesn't really give a shit that Larry down the Street made a mod that lets him put Master Chief's skin on his character.

Epic has quite a bit of egg on their face.

I believe the folks at Epic are probably going to swallow their pride and make nice with Microsoft on the whole downloadable content thing. Their market is on the 360 now.

Ah well. PS3 owners at least get a nice consolation prize this month. How it will affect PS3 sales in January is anyone's guess, however.

6y1f28h.jpg

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
besada said:
Or the majority of PS3 users really are cheap Blu-Ray buyers.

I'm astonished at the lack of sales for Uncharted. I bought it and loved it. It's gorgeous and fun. PS3 owners who don't have this game apparently don't want good, original games on the platform.

Great sales for everyone else. It horrifies me that High School Musical sold better than Uncharted. If that's not a harbinger of the death of real games, I'm not sure what is, but it's Nintendo's world now and we just live in it.

I believe this to be the case. With stand alone Blu-Ray players now cheaper than the PS3 I think that will hurt the PS3 in 2008.

Thunder Monkey said:
This has been my exact point in thread after thread.

There's only so much failure a platform can take before it nullifies it's existence. The PS3 might not be doing that badly comparing with early 360, but it's not being compared to the 360 of 2006, it's being compared to the 360 of now... the one with the 6.5-7 million unit lead the world over.

Putting the Wii into the equation screws Sony up further.

Pretty much. Every month for the past 12 we hear the same things, that things aren't over yet, that nothing is set in stone, and yet month after month, absolutely nothing changes in terms of the ratio/gap. With the lead that MS built up in the first year and the absolutely phenomenal software lead they have, there is absolutely no way the global scenario of influence can ever change from Wii > 360 > PS3.

Even if Sony catches up in worldwide units, 85% of the developers of HD games will put their primary focus on 360 games.

That means:
- Little accommodation for BR space
- Little reliance on built in HDD
- Little use of the PS3's superior processing power

Which means MS has nullified nearly all of the PS3's gaming advantages for 85% of the titles available. For the rest of the generation.

Which means that the people who still wrongheadedly focus on who's where on the Hardware Podium and when are so totally looking at the wrong thing. Especially considering it's a fight for 2nd and 3rd anyway.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
GSG Flash said:
surprised that Halo 3 fell flat on it's face compared to other big games (although not that surprised, Halo 2 sales dropped pretty quickly as well)

If 387k 3 months on, >50% tie ratio is falling flat on its face...

Pachael

RSTEIN said:
I hope one day we get the real Microsoft/Epic story.

You don't piss away a guaranteed 1 million unit seller because MS didn't let you put through free Gears DLC. Also, Epic's whole "closed system" argument does not hold any water whatsoever. WHO THE FUCK CARES AT THE END OF THE DAY? You're selling UT3 to Joe Sixpack 360 who's gonna play the shit out of the game for 3 months and then move on to the next title. He doesn't really give a shit that Larry down the Street made a mod that lets him put Master Chief's skin on his character.

Epic has quite a bit of egg on their face.

They do, unfortunately. Unless PS3 UT3 sells like hot pancakes, of course. It was only a year ago when Gears was selling millions (to counter the whole 'comparative userbase' argument vis a vis the PS3) - I'm sure Mark Rein's nostalgic for those days when an Epic title sells heaps.

Slavik81

XiaNaphryz said:
Well, to reiterate, despite PS3 sales going up by quite a bit they were STILL outsold by 300,000+ by the next competitor, which is an increase from the previous month.
That's not a particularly good way of comparing the sales. They sold relatively well compared to the last few months previously, but because it was a higher-volume month, the difference was magnified.

Ultimately, 300k is 300k, but if you're wondering if they're getting closer or not, you'll want to consider it relative to total sales during that time period.

besada said:
It horrifies me that High School Musical sold better than Uncharted. If that's not a harbinger of the death of real games, I'm not sure what is, but it's Nintendo's world now and we just live in it.

There are three problems I can think of with this kind of hyperbole:
1. Licensed shovelware selling far better than what it deserves is hardly a new phenomenon.
2. It's not exclusive to Nintendo systems.
3. It's not even exclusive to "kiddie" titles - just look at Enter the Matrix or 50 Cent: Bulletproof.

Back to the whole UT3/Crysis thing: I would have gotten it, but my PC would run like crap. So no, for now.

I'd imagine PC game sales work a lot like that, does anyone have any sort of numbers in that regard, such as how UT2K4 did in it's first month, or Quake 4, etc? Those numbers, vs how they track in following months, would be more meaningful than just looking at 89K and going nuts.

Odysseus

Banned
Stinkles said:
If 387k 3 months on, >50% tie ratio is falling flat on its face...

totally. do better next time.

halo 3 sales are nothing short of astounding. halo 3 has sold to ~50% of the 360 base, and sold to ~50% of new owners this month. for crying out loud, looking at that ratio, you could say 360 is even more of a halo box than the original.

itxaka

Defeatist
BTW thanks to the guy who posted a link to playstation.blog, there are sure a lot of PS3 trolls around there. Don´t miss it.

Good job Sony! The PS3 is selling much better than Microsoft and Nintendo want, that’s for sure.—12

That’s good, but yet it still isn’t out selling the 360. I hope evil M$ doesn’t win. It will be the end of the game console as we know it.

The Wii will phase out in time, so they’re catchable.

So yeah ps3s in the marathon and getting closer.

Speevy

Banned
These perceptions are all over the place, I can't even keep up.

If you think the Xbox 360's numbers are just OMG Spectacular, extrapolate them over 3 more years. See if the number you get is more than a drop in the pond.

besada

Banned
MechDX said:
360 owners still buy games even though they have nothing to play them on?

360 owners buy games to decorate their genitals. I have The Darkness wrapped around my wang at the moment. I also use them as coasters, earrings, and hats. I buy approximately eighty-three games a month.

AlphaTwo00 said:
Back to the whole UT3/Crysis thing: I would have gotten it, but my PC would run like crap. So no, for now.

I'd imagine PC game sales work a lot like that, does anyone have any sort of numbers in that regard, such as how UT2K4 did in it's first month, or Quake 4, etc? Those numbers, vs how they track in following months, would be more meaningful than just looking at 89K and going nuts.

What were UT3 - Crysis sales?

besada said:
360 owners buy games to decorate their genitals. I have The Darkness wrapped around my wang at the moment. I also use them as coasters, earrings, and hats. I buy approximately eighty-three games a month.

I feed them to my goats. I bought Mass Effect forty-eight times. Something about the ridges in the ME logo on the front of the disc. My goats fucking LOVE IT.

Great numbers for MS and Ninty.

Sony had good numbers, too. Still, it just had a real price cut in November, the second highest selling month of the year...it should have had a higher sales number considering that X360 did not have any price cut last year and did more hardware in the same month with less time post-Black Friday on the charts. At least, some of the biggest third party titles can do well on PS3. And what's with the Sony first party streak of failure? Four games with (relatively) big marketing and twenty-million-dollar-plus budgets all failing to sell enough to break even in their first months at market across the world? Terrible. Sony's balance on their first party software sounds like it could be near to the negative one-hundred million mark by now. Can't recall ever seeing one publisher put out so many big budget bombs in a row without they themselves bombing out of existence. Scary shit and pretty much confirms that Sony's losses will continue largely unabated. Sony desperately needs to be able to maintain as much of the whole price cut/November shopping boost momentum beyond the holiday season in NA.

Sushen

Odysseus said:
i think your perspective has a lot to say about that. if the ps3 is a games machine first and foremost, yes. if it is a blu-ray trojan horse that turns the hi-def movie war into a bank for sony, no. who knows what sony wanted or expected. who the freak knows.
As a guy who drove around town to find a PS3 like a mad man back in 06, I resent Sony's continued mixed messages. They want to compete with iTunes and cell phone connectivity is the next big thing? Come on, please for the love of god, back to senses and concentrate PS3 as a game machine. I would hate to see PS3 to follow the footsteps of PSP, a media machine rather than a game console. I'll be voting with my gaming bucks.

Pimpbaa

BenjaminBirdie said:
Which means MS has nullified nearly all of the PS3's gaming advantages for 85% of the titles available. For the rest of the generation.

And sony nullified nearly all of the xbox's gaming advantages last gen with ps2 being the lead platform. Things change. Besides, that hurt the xbox far far more than what the ps3 will ever suffer from not being the lead platform.

Top Bottom