• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

Zzoram

Piper Az said:
hmm, in last gen, the PS2 was more difficult to program for, but it was the primary console for developers due to its dominance in installed base - then they ported games to the Xbox. Rarely, it was the other way around. It just happens to be in this gen that the 360 is easier to program for than the PS3...my 2 cents.

Last gen PS2 was a pain to work with but they had to do it because it had 5x the install base. This time around, 360 has 3x the install base and is easier to work with. I wonder what developers will do :lol

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
IronicallyTwisted said:
They are called "good developers".

o snap
i call them spoiled.

whenever i play a PC game, i always put it to the lowest settings to see if the gameplay holds up. a game is only as good as its lowest settings IMO, and if a game can't provide entertainment, the visuals mean NOTHING. all the power in the world will never change that.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
mckmas8808 said:
I don't get it.

Me either. It's not like R&C has done 300k LTD you know... a good number but not a blockbuster. We're talking less than 200k. It's inconceivable.

On a slightly different tangent, this generation highlights the dangers of being tied to one console. Insomniac, despite the brave face they're putting on, cannot be smiling right now. I can't blame Bungie for leaving MS. I'd want the option of developing for any console too. The 720 could be next gen's PS3. The PS4 could be next gen's Wii.

Devs are getting smarter tho, and so are the console guys. Bioware sold out to EA. That's a good move. Bizzare broke it off with MS - a good move. Flexability is VERY valuable.

Zzoram said:
Last gen PS2 was a pain to work with but they had to do it because it had 5x the install base. This time around, 360 has 3x the install base and is easier to work with.

The question here is if developing multiplatform games on Xbox 360 first and then porting to Ps3 is the most efficient strategy. If it is, then that's how it will likely remain.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Zzoram said:
First Party:
1. Halo 3 M-RATED
2. Gears of War M-RATED
3. Project Gotham Racing 3
4. Perfect Dark ZeroM-RATED
5. Forza 2
6. Crackdown M-RATED
7. Mass Effect M-RATED

Third Party:
8. Oblivion M-RATED
9. Guitar Hero 2
10.Bioshock M-RATED
11.Madden NFL 08
12.Saints Row M-RATED
13.Splinter Cell: Double Agent M-RATED
14.Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter M-RATED
15.Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 M-RATED
16.Need for Speed: Most Wanted
17.Need for Speed: Carbon
18.Madden 07
19.Lost Planet
20.Dead Rising M-RATED
21.Call of Duty 2 M-RATED
22.Rainbow Six: Vegas M-RATED
23.Call of Duty 4 M-RATED
24.Guitar Hero 3
25.Assassins Creed M-RATED
26.Dead or Alive 4 M-RATED
^^^
Says alot, doesn't it?

Mindlog

Gary Whitta said:
The question was, why are there no numbers for PC COD4 and Orange Box.

I'm wondering this too.

Although, I don't know anybody who bought Orange Box @ retail for PC. We all steamed that one.

Slavik81

Golden Darkness said:
There are those developers who feel they must have all the power they can get in order to truly express themselves.
That's something a bit different. What you're talking about would ignore development for PS3/360 and focus on high-end PCs like Crytek did.

Sean

Banned
Kittonwy said:
The problem is they didn't push the games early enough, you can't build hype overnight, you have to push the games like 2 years ahead of time and just get the press to come on board.

I dunno about that. Call of Duty 4 was announced on April 25, 2007 - it sure wasn't hyped for 2 years.

We've known about R&C and Uncharted far longer than that (although admittedly Uncharted was called "Untitled Naughty Dog Project" or something - but still I think they showed a trailer at either E3 2005 or 2006).

Gahiggidy said:
^^^
Says alot, doesn't it?
360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 1 1.57 million
WII SUPER MARIO GALAXY NINTENDO OF AMERICA NOV 2007 EVERYONE (E) 2 1.12 million
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED UBISOFT NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 3 980K
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 4 967K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA FEB 2007 EVERYONE (E) 5 564K
360 MASS EFFECT MICROSOFT (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 6 473K
PS3 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 7 444K
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 8 426K
360 HALO 3 MICROSOFT (CORP) SEP 2007 MATURE (M) 9 387K
PS3 ASSASSIN'S CREED UBISOFT NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 10 377K

Seems to say the 360 is biased towards games that rank in the top 10.

NPD results for video game message board posters = that "time of the month" for women

Christ. A lot of people PMS'ing in here.

But it is entertaining :)

Zzoram

AltogetherAndrews said:
The question here is if developing multiplatform games on Xbox 360 first and then porting to Ps3 is the most efficient strategy. If it is, then that's how it will likely remain.

Define efficient. It might be cheaper, and if PS3 sales are always roughly what they project, they'll have no incentive to boost PS3 framerate another 5fps average at great expense.

Meier

tegdf said:
the first Killzone sold 2 million copies I think and the reviews weren't that great, Killzone 2 is gonna sell alot imo even if it sucks

The first Killzone was on Playstation 2.

Zzoram

Slavik81 said:
That's something a bit different. What you're talking about would ignore development for PS3/360 and focus on high-end PCs like Crytek did.

Crysis will have legs, I know it. Everyone who upgrades or builds a next PC over the next year will get Crysis as a bench marking tool, and as a technical showcase. The first thing I did when I got a new PC was buy Half-Life 2 GOTY Edition, even though I was upgrading for Oblivion (which got delayed), because I wanted something to test my computer on and HL2 was one of the most demanding games at the time.

EDarkness

I think the thing is with Wii 3rd party games is we haven't seen any real intense games from western developers yet. Considering the extreme amount of shovelware and low budget games, I'm totally surprised the Wii even has as many million sellers as it does. The thing is, I'm doubting we'll ever really see this in the Wii's lifetime as it appears those kinds of games will always go to the HD systems. So I don't think we'll really be able to see if the Wii audience will grab up those kinds of games in the same quantity.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Duderz said:
Have Fire Emblem numbers been posted yet?

No

If there was any justice in the world it would sell 2 million copies. Sadly, I'm expecting like 40K.

Grecco said:
Is Wii Development that costly? I thought Dev Kits were much cheaper than their next gen competitors. So while you might not sell as many, you didnt need to to make money.

Nintendo consumers buy third party games. Case in point GH3 and Mario and Sonic this month.

Everyone is buying GH3, its a phenomenon and available to anyone with a console. Mario and Sonic is essentially seen as first party due to Mario. Even Nintendo can't sell certain types of games on their own hardware like Metroid Prime 3.

A company has x resources. They can make a Wii game and compete with Nintendo for a specific percieved market or they can go for the 360 game and go for that market. 360 is the more safe choice now.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
DS Million Sellers

1st Party

Nintendogs
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2: Time/Darkness
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart DS
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Warioware: Touched
Brain Training
Brain Training 2
English Training
Common Sense Training
Mario vs Donkey Kong: March of the Minis
Yoshi's Island DS
Kirby Squeak Squad
Tetris DS
Big Brain Academy
Super Mario 64 DS
Clubhouse Games
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Mario Hoops 3 on 3
Flash Focus?
Super Princess Peach?

3rd Party

Final Fantasy III DS
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Sonic Rush
Cooking Mama
Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop
Love & Berry DS Collection

I'm not sure with Focus and SPP...anything missing?

Also its pretty likely that DQ IV, Mario Party DS and Layton 2 will eventually join those ranks...and Cooking Navi if they'd release it outside of Japan

Zzoram said:
Crysis will have legs, I know it.

Yeah, it will have legs on torrent lists.

Crytek seems to just be blazing the path towards finanical ruin, oblivious to the changes in the market around them. Reminds me of the RIAA.

Zzoram

Warm Machine said:
Everyone is buying GH3, its a phenomenon and available to anyone with a console. Mario and Sonic is essentially seen as first party due to Mario. Even Nintendo can't sell certain types of games on their own hardware like Metroid Prime 3.

A company has x resources. They can make a Wii game and compete with Nintendo for a specific percieved market or they can go for the 360 game and go for that market. 360 is the more safe choice now.

If the game in question has appeal to gamers 18-34 males, or is any type of First/Third person shooter, it will break even if bad, sell 500K if decent, 1million if good, 2+ if great on Xbox 360.

carlnunz

Any word on the various other Wii Third Party games released this month?

Carnival Games?
Medal of Honor Heroes II?
Official Numbers for Rabbids 2?

Is the 19k manhunt 2 lifetime or does that not include 1st day/preorder sales (Same for ZW)?

Battalion Wars?

fernoca

Zzoram said:
It says that the people with money to buy games buy Xbox 360 games.
Yeah, that's what the under 15 years old I find at EB every week tell me, when they give me their money to buy those games.. :p

In any case, M-rated or not..those games are really great, some just amazing (Bioshock!) so no problems there..

Zzoram

HK-47 said:
DS Million Sellers

1st Party

Nintendogs
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2: Time/Darkness
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart DS
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Warioware: Touched
Brain Training
Brain Training 2
English Training
Common Sense Training
Mario vs Donkey Kong: March of the Minis
Yoshi's Island DS
Kirby Squeak Squad
Tetris DS
Big Brain Academy
Super Mario 64 DS
Clubhouse Games
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Mario Hoops 3 on 3
Flash Focus?
Super Princess Peach?

3rd Party

Final Fantasy III DS
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Sonic Rush
Cooking Mama
Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop
Love & Berry DS Collection

I'm not sure with Focus and SPP...anything missing?

:lol :lol :lol :lol

schuelma

Warm Machine said:

That GH3 argument is just crap. Yes, it's selling well for all platforms but it is a notable 3rd party success for the Wii. It outsold the 360 version this month.

And I do believe that if a developer made a AAA mature, high budgeted ,well advertised Wii game it would do very well. Nintendo doesn't have a corner on that market.

pxleyes

Banned
Subarushian said:
Yeah, it will have legs on torrent lists.

Crytek seems to just be blazing the path towards finanical ruin, oblivious to the changes in the market around them. Reminds me of the RIAA.
at least my initial comments about the game's focus have rung true in the sales.

Zzoram

schuelma said:
That GH3 argument is just crap. Yes, it's selling well for all platforms but it is a notable 3rd party success for the Wii. It outsold the 360 version this month.

And I do believe that if a developer made a AAA mature, high budgeted ,well advertised Wii game it would do very well. Nintendo doesn't have a corner on that market.

That's because the Xbox 360 had 311K in the competing Rock Band game which is $170.

Does anyone honestly think a $170 game would sell on the Wii?

Zzoram said:
That's because the Xbox 360 had 311K in the competing Rock Band game which is $170.

After seeing what people are paying just to play this "new Tennis Game"

Yes.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Sorry for asking again, but does anyone know how NFS Prostreet did? I'm very interested in knowing if it bombed or not (hopefully it did)

Zzoram

Segata Sanshiro said:
I thought that people with money to buy games bought all the systems and all the good games?

lol poor people /thetrin

They do, eventually. Still, its obvious that Xbox 360 owners are spending the most money on games of any platform.

fernoca said:
Yeah, that's what the under 15 years old I find at EB every week tell me, when they give me their money to buy those games.. :p

In any case, M-rated or not..those games are really great, som just amazing (Bioshock!) so no problems there..

Heh, most of the 360 owners I meet over live are in their 20's. I'm from Australia, so it might be different, but Live for me peaks at about 9-12pm when everyones come home from work + spent time with the missus + are ready to kick arse.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Barnolde said:
PS3 owners buy blu ray disks, and 360 owners buy FPS's with seasoning. Wii owners just buy peripherals.

fixed.

schuelma

Zzoram said:

Oh I don't know..a $250 game is selling for about $500 dollars on ebay right now.

Zzoram

AlphaTwo00 said:
After seeing what people are paying just to play this "new Tennis Game"

Yes.

Ok, good point :lol

But still, if Rock Band was competing with GH3 on Wii, it would've have outsold the 360 version by as much, if at all.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
schuelma said:
Oh I don't know..a $250 game is selling for about $500 dollars on ebay right now.

Plus by the time they launch a Wii version, the singular instruments will be available

Zzoram said:

People are already paying $250(or significantly more) for Wii Sports.

LukeSmith

mckmas8808 said:
That's because the 360 has 3 times the sells. Assassin's Creed did just as good on the PS3 sales wise as it did on the 360.

Your firm grip on revenue and profits is superlative. Unfortunately using %'s of install base penetration don't matter to the bottom line. You're just spinning. :(

Zzoram said:

But still, if Rock Band was competing with GH3 on Wii, it would've have outsold the 360 version by as much, if at all.
You never know. If this was put into the right channels of advertising, and stocked properly. It might have a chance.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Zzoram said:

the point is, it's not. and thats the foot-shot from EA to itself.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Son of Godzilla said:
Seems to say the 360 is biased towards games that rank in the top 10.
No, it says Microsoft's marketing campaign to move beyond the original Xbox demo is a big fat failure.

Top Bottom