• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

Sony and MS each know their own DD numbers, but not the DD numbers of their competitor. I assume that knowing how the competition is doing would be valuable to Sony and MS.

And even after knowing digital sales that still doesn't give you 100% clear picture about the industry. Companies like EA and Take-Two actually make more money from "extra content" (Ultimate Team, GTA Online) than full game downloads.

i9WBsuWekDgfc.png

Take Two Q2 call said:
During the second quarter, $89.8 million of our non-GAAP net revenue was digitally delivered. Importantly, nearly 60% of this revenue was derived from recurrent consumer spending which grew 45% year-over-year. We continue to see strong consumer engagement with Grand Theft Auto Online, which has both exceeded our expectations and has been the single largest contributor to digitally-delivered revenue in every quarter since its launch.

EGM1966

Having it an extra feature was a brilliant move, but like with blu ray I think it was more the gaming side giving DVD a boost rather than the other way around. Which is what a lot of people try and imply.
I think it's fairly clear its about perception of cost and popularity of the non-gaming extras.

The view with PS2 was you were getting a great gaming console with a free DVD player which was an exciting format growing in popularity. A nice win from consumer perspective.

With PS3 the perception was you were paying extra to get a BR player and that BR was an unproven new format you might not even want.

Bringing the XB1 in with its similar but different media push and I think the conclusion is clear. First and foremost you have to secure the view the device is s great console with essentially "for free" non gaming extras.

Both PS3 and now XB1 struggled post launch because they failed to secure the idea they were great gaming devices and gave the impression you were paying extra for on-gaming stuff (Kinect and to a lesser extent HDMI in on XB1 and BR for PS3).

Part of PS4's success has been securing the market view it's the better gaming device and that additional stuff is free - I.e. You're only paying for the bits that run games and it just do happens it does other nice stuff on the side. Would have been interesting if Sony didn't drop camera from being bundled as initially seemed their plan. But they did and the launch price point and specs quickly won the right perception.

Toki767

Yup, plus $349 vs $399

I'm not even including price in it. Last December the only reason the Xbox One outsold the PS4 was because the PS4 sold out and the Xbox One did not, even at a higher price. I expect the same thing to happen here, lower price or not.

Great to see Evil Within at 3. It overpreformed but it definitely deserves it.

Sunset Overdrive was a very average game from the get-go. It's not really a shock to not see it there. (At least, IMO I think it was)
Really? From everything I've heard, it was one of the only Xbone exclusives I was genuinely bummed I wouldn't be able to play.

What? That yould be bomba levels of start.

It depends on expectations. It's a console that's struggling, the gameplay appeal is somewhat limited and it's facing some extremely tough competition.

I think anything about 150k is a good achievement. Add in the bundle sales and it should be a good starting point for the IP.

Hopefully Spencer/Jsteve give us an idea of how its sold.

Oh missed that. Can you advise page or re-post? I'll have another trawl through and try and spot it too.

On mobile so too lazy to give a good reference point. It's based off of colonial marines debut. Maximum for alien isolation is around 145k but it's probably less than that.

EGM1966

Who here thinks Alien deserved more sales than Evil Within?
I don't know about more - I mean I preferred it but the market closes - but if like to see it with similar sales.

It's wrong to generalise but I guess I expect a combat orientated title like TEW to do better than a "avoid combat at all costs" title like AI in US.

It's just such a labour of love and a great game its a bit of s shame it's so low in the charts as in many ways AI represents a title embracing a design ethos many bemoan we see too rarely now "creative and risk orientated in line with material" vs "paint by numbers low risk".

Anyway I bought it on PC and PS4 so I feel I've done my bit to support larger budget titles that take risks.

Funny to think how much a bug riddled badly developed title like Unity is going to outsell it but that's the market I guess.

It depends on expectations. It's a console that's struggling, the gameplay appeal is somewhat limited and it's facing some extremely tough competition.

I think anything about 150k is a good achievement. Add in the bundle sales and it should be a good starting point for the IP.

Hopefully Spencer/Jsteve give us an idea of how its sold.
Just tweet many variations of 'happy to see Sunset Overdrive sell x copies!' and see which one Phil retweets.

EGM1966

On mobile so too lazy to give a good reference point. It's based off of colonial marines debut. Maximum for alien isolation is around 145k but it's probably less than that.
Thx. Assuming solid Europesn sales and decent PC sales while low that's probably enough in US over time to make it modestly successful in terms of total sales. I hope.

Ursiform

Banned
And?

It's WoW. It launched yesterday. It totally makes sense.
Better check the monthly charts, instead of the "hourly updates":
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-11/videogames

Oh I thought it launched Tues.

Why? World of WarCraft isn't a bad MMO at all. It's one of the only ones I jump back into from time and time again.

I just didn't realize physical collector's editions were still that big of a thing, especially for an MMO where you assume even those buyers also had digital preloaded for the release rush.

On Demand

Banned
A certain site who gave full numbers last month doesn't have any for Nov. It was posted by a member here but then he edited his post as he was told. Seems it was too late as it was posted on chartzzzzzzzzzz.

Sigh. PM's are your friend.

I bookmarked the site just in case.

EDIT-

Too early in the morning. Obviously i ment Sep and OCT. lol.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
A certain site who gave full numbers last month doesn't have any for Nov. It was posted by a member here but then he edited his post as he was told. Seems it was too late as it was posted on chartzzzzzzzzzz.

I'd love a PM.

EGM1966

How did Driveclub flop? Most people bought the PS+ digital discount version.
Nobody knows if either flopped. Obviously SSO is a little low so I guess people are keen to see Driveclub as a balancing failure.

Issue is most DC sales will be digital probably and most will be outside US. SSO I don't know, I'd expect most sales in US but bundles aren't counted so it could be okay too.

I think a lot of people wanted SSO to chart big and drive XB1 sales so there's some salt there and DC is an obvious target.

Conduit

Banned
Nobody knows if either flopped. Obviously SSO is a little low so I guess people are keen to see Driveclub as a balancing failure.

Issue is most DC sales will be digital probably and most will be outside US. SSO I don't know, I'd expect most sales in US but bundles aren't counted so it could be okay too.

I think a lot of people wanted SSO to chart big and drive XB1 sales so there's some salt there and DC is an obvious target.

I think Sunset Overdrive sales flooped in the US. TLOU : R was available only the last 3 days of July NPD tracking and still got enter in top 10 charts. Like i said before. Big titles came out ( i forgot H:TMCC ) and still will come in November. If Sunset enters in Top 10 in November, i will be surprised.

I know Rushy said before that DC sales are pretty above their expectations. I don't think DC flopped, at least digital.

madp0k

PM would be most welcome please

sobaka770

Banned

I need to know, I'd love a PM, please :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just to clarify things more:

Retailer bundle (game outside the box) = included in top 10

Official bundle (game inside the box) = not included in top 10

Ex: A 500GB GTA V PS4 retailer bundle (game outside the box) would register on NPD database as:

- $399 500GB PS4
- $60 GTA V (register like a normal game = counted in top 10)

An official PS4 GTA V bundle (game inside the box) would register like this:

- $399 500GB GTA V PS4 (register like a standalone hardware SKU = not included in top 10)

Aqua wrote a long post sometimes ago explaining this.

You would think publishers would try and find some way to communicate bundle sales. Eg 'NPD doesn't count bundle sales, but if they did, Sunset Overdrive would have been number 2 in the charts' - that kind of thing. Avoids specific number talk but also heads off any talk of bomba

EGM1966

I think Sunset Overdrive sales flooped in the US. TLOU : R was available only the last 3 days of July NPD tracking and still got enter in top 10 charts. Like i said before. Big titles came out ( i forgot H:TMCC ) and still will come in November. If Sunset enters in Top 10 in November, i will be surprised.

I know Rushy said before that DC sales are pretty above their expectations. I don't think DC flopped, at least digital.
Well yeah I do think there's more chance of DC doing okay overall than SSO I was just sugaring the pill. Despite the server issues DC has larger install base and a decent digital price for Plus members. Given Europe it'll do okay most likely. It probably hasn't sold great in US but that's not its main market.

SSO needs to do well in US and I suspect it'll be soft due to install base and other bigger titles being around.

I am surprised Sunset Overdrive didn't catch on with the general public. Open world games tend to do well, even if they suck. Maybe the aesthetics are what is turning people away.

Ivan

So happy for The Evil Within :).

I don't want it to become a franchise, I want them to do something new like that AGAIN.

Bethesda did an awesome job with TEW and Wolfenstein.

CLEEK

I am surprised Sunset Overdrive didn't catch on with the general public. Open world games tend to do well, even if they suck. Maybe the aesthetics are what is turning people away.

The game looked like a mash up of JSR + EDF + R&C. All games I love.

But the forced wacky 'comedy' was painful in the adverts. I couldn't imagine spending 10-15 hours playing a game with that shit. Every time I saw the ad, I wanted to punch the TV.

You would think publishers would try and find some way to communicate bundle sales. Eg 'NPD doesn't count bundle sales, but if they did, Sunset Overdrive would have been number 2 in the charts' - that kind of thing. Avoids specific number talk but also heads off any talk of bomba

It's a "B-b-b-but" approach.

Ultimately, a truly great selling game will chart high, bundles or not.

If you did not chart high enough to be a huge PR win, then its better off to wait until you can announce a sales benchmark achievement on your own right. Like one million globally instead of having to play with mathematics .

Top Bottom