• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

Life, uh, finds a way.

People need to chill, repeatedly asking for numbers or revisiting past events isn't going to get us anywhere. They'll come, if and when they come.

Cornbread78

Ahhh, right, I remember seeing that somewhere a couple days ago....didn't see it when I checked a couple minuets ago....will update my post with the info.

From thooks of that flyer, it also shws people getting a $50 GC back as well, meanign people are basically getting the PS4, GTAV, TLoU and another game or controller for $410. Great deal!

two transactions is the key to using that GC right away....Always remember that GAF..

vpance

Yes, yes they can when they sign NDAs. In certain fields of business such information is considered proprietary. Same idea as leads in sales.

I suppose so. Everything changes after you fork out $1000's and sign your name on some dotted line huh.

You really think Cream lost his source? Guess you didn't read his post closely. And those arguments over lack of concern for leakers and NPD getting increasingly concerned with Gaf, but members still butting heads with her over it lead her to request a ban.

She came back, got banned for real.

I suggest you read both NPD threads from last month if you want to learn more.

Yeah, they held back for sure. The numbers will reappear somewhere, 8 years of leaks FFS. Information must flow dammit.

I'm guessing that more than a few members here didn't seem to realize people were risking their livelihoods bringing us this data. To get access to NPD data you have to sign a non-disclosure agreement. An NDA is a legally binding contract. Breaking said contract can get you fired, and legally bound to paying back the party that owns said data.

Aqua, Cream, everyone that has given us this precious data was putting their livelihoods on the line just so a bunch of spoiled children could have console warrior time.

So I'll reiterate what I said last month. Come back Aqua. Be the awesome poster you always were, without endangering yourself and fuck them! Those childish bastards don't want to quote? Fuck em!

We don't have to have the info. It's little more than a vanity project to way too many posters anyway. A way to say "Hah! I told you I was smert for buying PS4!"

It hurts those of us that stat track, but we're not worth your sanity, and for damn sure we're not worth the hassle.

No....only retailer specific deal I could find for PS4 was the Toys R Us bundle with Lego and LBP3.
Everywhere else seems to be just doing the standard TLOU + GTA bundle.

But there is still hope, Gamestop's BF has not been leaked yet.

Meijer and HH Gregg also have the PS4, Batman, and LBP3 Bundles. Its not just Toys R Us.

From thooks of that flyer, it also shws people getting a $50 GC back as well, meanign people are basically getting the PS4, GTAV, TLoU and another game or controller for $410. Great deal!

two transactions is the key to using that GC right away....Always remember that GAF..

The $50 GC is for getting a regular PS4 with no games.

Log4Girlz

So I'll reiterate what I said last month. Come back Aqua. Be the awesome poster you always were, without endangering yourself and fuck them! Those childish bastards don't want to quote? Fuck em!

We don't have to have the info. It's little more than a vanity project to way too many posters anyway. A way to say "Hah! I told you I was smert for buying PS4!"

It hurts those of us that stat track, but we're not worth your sanity, and for damn sure we're not worth the hassle.

She was a super cool poster. Come back!

Gather around kids, this is called victim blaming. It's what happens when someone can't get their head out of their ass and instead chooses to make ridiculous unsubstantiated assumptions about the risks surrounding another's pure charity and dedication to a thankless community.

I read the original thread and im sorry, she did start to slowly lose it in that thread. Even before people started calling her out.

It was like she was getting overexcited, dropped a bunch of extra info (I was banned at the time but im assuming she was giving exact numbers in the email tags) and then thought "shit, what if members of NPD group have gaf accounts?"

The actual posts from other posters were a bit annoying but they were easily ignored. It was more the people constantly asking for summaries which were a bigger issue.

Honestly, I feel she was doing an excellent favour for this community but just like the "insiders" she got a bit drunk on her importance. Her taking a step back for a while is a good thing for her.

Id argue the perfect NPD system would be to follow John harkers model, small hints here and there, with a larger blowout a month later, closer to the release of the following months NPD. This should be hidden by email tags and presented in a way for people who will actually make the effort to put the info together.

The problem with recent NPD threads is its become a battleground for console wars with NPD numbers as bullets. Most people actually don't give a shit about numbers, they just want further validation of the ascension of their console brand of choice.

Thats what is drawing so much attention to Neogaf, aqua and cream. If the data was much further delayed and further obfuscated, certain members of this forum would be much less concerned about it.

At the end of the day aqua and cream are risking their jobs, careers and livehoods to give a bunch of forum goers talking points. If most of us were in the same position we would keep our mouths shut. That is to be respected.

What shouldn't be respected is knowingly faciliting a carnival of stupid. Honestly, the data will not change if we get it on NPD on release day or a month later. What will change is its importance to NPD as a corporation, its partners (some of which - saying no names - are putting extra pressure on them to crack down) and who on this forum care enough about historical data to follow whats going on.

Basically, if you just want talking points about your console manufacturer of choice, stick to chartzzz and amazon. They give you enough round about info to know what is selling a decent range of how much.

The average neogaf poster simply does not need to know if product x is selling 238k or 258k. Around 250-270k is enough.

Occam

It's quite ridiculous that these numbers aren't made public. The situation is even worse for Europe; we never get any numbers there (thanks for nothing, GfK). Japan does it right, that's the way it should be everywhere.
We know how many books are sold, we know how movies do (and how much money they earn), we know how well music sells, how many people watch certain TV shows. What makes video games and consoles special?

These numbers should not be kept secret. Why don't these so-called video game journalists do something about it? Now that would be a worthy cause for once.

Hopefully Vita TV bombed. That thing is a wicked piece of shit.
I hope so too.
I bought it and returned it in a couple days because it was so shitty. The remote play sucked and worst of all most of my vita games are incompatible. Releasing it as it is was just dumb on Sony behalf.

shandy706

It's quite ridiculous that these numbers aren't made public. The situation is even worse for Europe; we never get any numbers there (thanks for nothing, GfK). Japan does it right, that's the way it should be everywhere.
We know how many books are sold, we know how movies do (and how much money they earn), we know how well music sells. What makes video games and consoles special?

Someone is making millions off the data.

Getting something for free out of someone that's making millions off selling it.....not easy.

I read the original thread and im sorry, she did start to slowly lose it in that thread. Even before people started calling her out.

It was like she was getting overexcited, dropped a bunch of extra info (I was banned at the time but im assuming she was giving exact numbers in the email tags) and then thought "shit, what if members of NPD group have gaf accounts?"

The actual posts from other posters were a bit annoying but they were easily ignored. It was more the people constantly asking for summaries which were a bigger issue.

Honestly, I feel she was doing an excellent favour for this community but just like the "insiders" she got a bit drunk on her importance. Her taking a step back for a while is a good thing for her.

Id argue the perfect NPD system would be to follow John harkers model, small hints here and there, with a larger blowout a month later, closer to the release of the following months NPD. This should be hidden by email tags and presented in a way for people who will actually make the effort to put the info together.

The problem with recent NPD threads is its become a battleground for console wars with NPD numbers as bullets. Most people actually don't give a shit about numbers, they just want further validation of the ascension of their console brand of choice.

Thats what is drawing so much attention to Neogaf, aqua and cream. If the data was much further delayed and further obfuscated, certain members of this forum would be much less concerned about it.

At the end of the day aqua and cream are risking their jobs, careers and livehoods to give a bunch of forum goers talking points. If most of us wer in the same position we would keep our mouths shut. That is to be respected. What shouldn't be respected is knowingly faciliting a carnival of stupid. Honestly, the data will not change if we get it on NPD on release day or a month later. What will change is its importance to NPD as a corporation, its partners (some of which - saying no names - are putting extra pressure on them to crack down) and who on this forum care enough about historical data to follow whats going on.

Basically, if you just want talking points about your console manufacturer of choice, stick to chartzzz and amazon. They give you enough round about info to know what is selling a decent range of how much.

The average neogaf poster simply does not need to know if product x is selling 238k or 258k. Around 250-270k is enough.
Did you just trash talk Aquamarine and encourage people to use chartz in the same post?

At least you have that tag as a warning.

The fact is that Aquamarine cared about this community, and she took risks to bring us information. She was a good poster, and losing her is noteworthy. She will be missed not just for her contributions, but for her general presence here.

Kill3r7

We know how many books are sold, we know how movies do (and how much money they earn), we know how well music sells. What makes video games and consoles special?

These numbers should not be kept secret. Why don't these so-called video game journalists do something about it? Now that would be a worthy cause for once.

Here's an idea, create your own tracking service and you can share them with the world but I would guess that's not a financially viable business.

Playstation TV was just a poor ass launch from sony, and they had a year to figure out how to market it here in the states. It should've breathed a second life into the Vita, but instead it just seems so poorly thought out and supported.

Interfectum

Playstation TV was just a poor ass launch from sony, and they had a year to figure out how to market it here in the states. It should've breathed a second life into the Vita, but instead it just seems so poorly thought out and supported.

I don't even know why they bothered tbh. Complete waste of resources and serves to muddy the Playstation brand.

Miles X

Can the mods not just ban anyone that doesn't play ball with how Aqua and Cream want the numbers distributed (or rather not in this case)?

They might come back if they feel the numbers can be kept low key.

QaaQer

Did you just trash talk Aquamarine and encourage people to use chartz in the same post?

The fact is that Aquamarine cared about this community, and she took risks to bring us information. She was a good poster, and losing her is noteworthy. She will be missed not just for her contributions, but for her general presence here.

There are a few noteworthy posters that make gaf worthwhile. She was one of them. John is another.

Cornbread78

The $50 GC is for getting a regular PS4 with no games.

crap, you're right, we'll call that the "MS price parity" rebate.

I know stores are matching the Wal-Mart.com bundle deals live currently for instance:

The Standard PS4 + a game is $439
Destiny Bundle + a game is $489

Not too much savings, but $20 off is $20 saved towards future games...

*sigh*

Look. I like aqua being here. Ive learnt alot from reading her posts.

Im just saying the information she is revealing in NPD threads is painting a big target on her back and for what? So people can argue amongst themselves over console wars? This shit has consequences and Neogaf is getting big enough and influential enough that it is a good idea tl be much less fortcoming and hide the information much more.

At the end of the day if she loses her job and gets sued, it doesnt effect anyone than her. Its not worth it to do things how they have been done.

The information can be spread to the community without a big "hi look at the NPD data!" Thread each month. People who actually give a shit about her should be able to see that, surely.

Miles X

Smash will absolutely chart.

Nope, not a sure fire bet Halo will either.

Last year:
click

AC Unity, Rouge, COD, GTAV, Madden and NBA will all be huge million+ sellers. XB1 Minecraft release with the other 3 skus could see it do huge numbers too.

Far Cry, Dragon Age and perhaps Destiny (though this month has made me doubt its legs)

MK is around 1.2m after 5 months is it not? Smash will sell well but to outsell MK LTD in 2 weeks?

If they do both chart it'll be in the lower positions. Top 5 is already locked down.

Last year:
click

AC Unity, Rouge, COD, GTAV, Madden and NBA will all be huge million+ sellers. XB1 Minecraft release with the other 3 skus could see it do huge numbers too.

Far Cry, Dragon Age and perhaps Destiny (though this month has made me doubt its legs)

MK is around 1.2m after 5 months is it not? Smash will sell well but to outsell MK LTD in 2 weeks?

If they do both chart it'll be in the lower positions. Top 5 is already locked down.

Why would it need to outsell MK LTD to chart? It's only the one month's sales.

hughesta

Banned

Last year:
click

Hmmm. Hard to argue you with you. I still think Smash will chart, but with less than two weeks, it'll certainly be closer to 10 than to 5.

Miles X

You're dealing with a month with a much higher total software bar than the month MK launched in.

If Smash WiiU sells on par with the 3DS version, there's a very good chance it won't chart at all.

Are Smash WiiU and 3DS combined? If so it could very well chart higher than I expect. WiiU on its own though, no.

Even if 25% of the install base buy it in the first 2 weeks that's 850k~ (MK for comparison sold to about 30% of the install base after 6 weeks)

What? Don't confuse WW vs. NPD sales.
Combining the two is how I read it. If PS4/One sold on par with what they did last month, the two combined should be cresting the 9 million unit mark. By November their combined unit totals should be around 10 million units. This puts WiiU in a precarious position.

Are Smash WiiU and 3DS combined? If so it could very well chart higher than I expect. WiiU on its own though, no.

Even if 25% of the install base buy it in the first 2 weeks that's 850k~ (MK for comparison sold to about 30% of the install base after 6 weeks)

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Wii U, 3DS)

....nah I don't think so

Both Smash and Halo will chart.

I doubt it, barring Smash pulling unexpectedly high numbers

Miles X

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Wii U, 3DS)

....nah I don't think so

I doubt it, barring Smash pulling unexpectedly high numbers

Minecraft Xbox One Edition (PS4, XB1 ect)

It happens :p (Though in this case it's just named Minecraft) but they all have their own "titles"

Top Bottom