• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
One thing to remember for all 3 numbers..it was a 5 week month which inflates the number compared to last month.

Cant0na

Banned
EviLore said:
THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* 360 MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS Sep-09 254.0K
GUITAR HERO 5* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD (CORP) Sep-09 210.8K
THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* WII MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS Sep-09 208.6K

MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

DMeisterJ

Banned
OrigJake78 said:
The PS3 has finally broken the streak! The PS3 has been outsold by the Xbox 360 and the Wii for the past 13 months straight.

Sony is losing $108 per console. At 491,800 consoles that's a loss of $53,114,400!

So for a lead of 29k over their closest rival Sony lost $53 Million Dollars. And that's in the American market alone.

Sony losing $100 on every PS3 Slim sold

Will PS3 sustain these sales? Maybe. The release of the 250GB PS3 will help (Early adopters am cry).

Will PS3 sustain these sales? No? The PS3 Slim dropped over 2/3rd in only its second week on sale in Japan.

Price cut = Small Increase, New Hardware + Price Cut = Larger Increase

Only one PS3 game in the top 10.
:lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
My thoughts...

• Wow, PS3 only beat Wii by 29k. Thought it would be a bigger gap. And the poor 360 is in the basement... oh wait, no, that's the PSP LoL
  • WOW @ Mario & Luigi 3. I didn't think it would sell that much!! fucking fourth place
  • aaaand I don't know why PS3 owners are still buying Batman, but okay
  • The Wii version of Beatles RB showed up pretty well against the 360 version (200k vs. 250k). It's nice to see when games sell well on the platform with the most sales. The world makes more sense that way. Though it would make more sense if TB:RB sold the most on Wii
  • looks like GH5 got the shit beat out of it, which was kinda expected

...oh, and I can't resist:

ottergrats-outsoldwii.jpg

AnIco said:
It's over for Microsoft, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of the 360's hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for 360. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a 360. Except if they want to play Bungie's titles. Which will also come to the PS3 anyway once their Halo contract is up at some point.

The age of Microsoft in the US is done.

Awesome.

command+F "Scribblenauts" on the first page = 0 results. Fail. Well, at least I did my part...

Also the 500s seem worse than normal.

AnIco said:
Hey whatever you think!

Sony took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a 360 over a PS3 (except NETFLIX LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the unreliable, underdesigned RROD behemoth that was 360.

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for Gamecube. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

:lol

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Flying_Phoenix said:
And what was it exactly that you had to do in order to post this?:lol

Not refresh every second that's for sure, it only took me two tries to post that post.

My F5 finger is so buff.

Anywho...

-Shit's getting epic between the PS3 and Wii.
-Fuuuuuuuuuuuck at HALO 3: ODST numbers.
-Great month for hardware.

arne

Wow we didn't even make it past the first page and there are some hilarious responses. Thanks for the laughs on a Monday afternoon!

OrigJake78 said:
The PS3 has finally broken the streak! The PS3 has been outsold by the Xbox 360 and the Wii for the past 13 months straight.

Sony is losing $108 per console. At 491,800 consoles that's a loss of $53,114,400!

So for a lead of 29k over their closest rival Sony lost $53 Million Dollars. And that's in the American market alone.

Will PS3 sustain these sales? Maybe. The release of the 250GB PS3 will help (Early adopters am cry).

Will PS3 sustain these sales? No? The PS3 Slim dropped over 2/3rd in only its second week on sale in Japan.

holy shit dude...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Batman now becomes one of the rare multi titles that sold greater on PS3 than 360.

VideoMan said:
PS3 and Wii closer than I thought.

Mario & Luigi charted! Yay!

PSP Go got up and went. :lol
PSP Go didn't come out last month.

~500K for Sony. Jesus Christ. Spectacular. ~460K for the Revolution. Expected. ~350K for the 360. Solid. Curious to see Microsoft's response at being relegated to third place this month.

Prediction: Sony's momentum will continue throughout the end of the year. Reaction to the PS3 Slim seems profoundly positive. Sony's best move at this point in the game was to relaunch. They did. It succeeded. The Empire Strikes back.

If Sony holds the numbers till December they'll have a decent shot at competing with the 360 into next year. All depends whether they fire again (and hit) with their new Slim cannon.

Exciting. I was with the 360 at the start of this gen. I wish Sony all the best now, since the PS3 is a damn fine machine that deserves better than it has had. The 360 is cool, but if Microsoft takes Sony out (this gen or next) the industry is fucked.

GL

cosmicblizzard said:
Looks like everyone underestimated the PS3 price cut. Hopefully they can keep this momentum through the holiday season.

what? seriously, what?

everyone expected PS3 Slim to be #1 for at least September NPS's numbers.

FrankT

Sept PS3 numbers certainly stronger than I expected. Kudos to Sony on that front. 139k difference between the PS3 and 360 for the month is right on the high end for the month for my estimates as well. I thought the Wii could have done a little better here and 360 is right around where I thought it would be. My holiday estimates going forward remain intact. Wii on top for October with PS3 and 360 in a toss up if not a slight edge to PS3 then Nov and Dec back to normalcy again. Time will tell.

OrigJake78 said:

However, not only has slim stopped the 13 month losing streak, but hasn't Batman also the first multi game the PS3 has come out on top of the 360 version for the entire year so far?

PS3 and Wii higher than expected.... VERY impressive. I am surprised the PS3 didn't beat the Wii by more this month though... at this point I'd guess that next month we'll go back to the usual order, with Wii taking a comfortable lead.

Halo continues to showcase its incredible brand strength.

Wii Sports Resort is a monster and will remain so for a long time yet...

Wii version of Rock Band Beatles beating the PS3 version (assuming there was one?) It still amazes me how much Harmonix/EA/MTV missed the boat by coming to Wii so late with the last game.

Was the PSP Go included in these numbers? I'd love to see the breakdown there.

Wow, I expected the PS3 to beat the 360, but not by that much. It'll be interesting to see if they maintain that momentum throughout the rest of the year.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Cosmonaut X said:
Is there some reason a title like NSMB Wii isn't being looked at as a potential blockbuster?

Yeah that surprised me.

Good news for PS3 for the month! After all of the hoopla over its big return, seeing the numerical difference between it and the Wii and X360 seems...weirdly unimpressive. But given the lackluster sales across the board, it's a bigger win than it feels like. Gonna be interesting to see how things go over the next four months.

Firestorm

Stop being trolled you idiots. AnIco's post, aside from being absurd in a way that not even dfyb can match, can be proven fake by his avatar + PSN ID (Major_Nelson).

ZeoVGM

Banned
Nice stuff. Figured it would be a little higher. I think I read 360 had the most growth still.

I'm going to guess it's about the same next month, but Wii will be back on top in November and December.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The numbers are sort of what we expected, good month, I like to see all 3 selling strong. It's kind of surprising that Batman sold more on PS3, maybe people purchasing Slims picked up the game with it because it was pretty "hot" at the time.

By the way, some people are mentioning the PSP Go but it didn't go on sale until October so it doesn't count for this month.

Banned
pswii60 said:
YTD 2009...

360: 2,390k
PS3: 1,942k

Basically, PS3 needs to outsell 360 by at least 150k units/month before the end of the year to catch up YTD (and for Greenberg to be wrong about this year).

If Sony maintains momentum with Uncharted 2 and the Slim it could be possible, but I can't help thinking that the 360 value bundles and Modern Warfare marketing/bundle will stop it happening. Race for second place YTD is closer than ever though, LTD is another story.

360 and PS3 will be close next NPD but the 360 will be back in front come November. The slim/price drop bump will be over.

AnIco said:
It's over for Microsoft, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of the 360's hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for 360. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a 360. Except if they want to play Bungie's titles. Which will also come to the PS3 anyway once their Halo contract is up at some point.

The age of Microsoft in the US is done.
Holy crap. How did I miss this gem?

Tobor

Ghost Leviathan said:
~500K for Sony. Jesus Christ. Spectacular. ~460K for the Revolution. Expected. ~350K for the 360. Solid. Curious to see Microsoft's response at being relegated to third place this month.

Prediction: Sony's momentum will continue throughout the end of the year. Reaction to the PS3 Slim seems profoundly positive. Sony's best move at this point in the game was to relaunch. They did. It succeeded. The Empire Strikes back.

If Sony holds the numbers till December they'll have a decent shot at competing with the 360 into next year. All depends whether they fire again (and hit) with their new Slim cannon.

Exciting. I was with the 360 at the start of this gen. I wish Sony all the best now, since the PS3 is a damn fine machine that deserves better than it has had. The 360 is cool, but if Microsoft takes Sony out (this gen or next) the industry is fucked.

GL

Get this shit out of here. It's been 4 years, let it go. :lol

Haunted

Those saying PS3 only outsold the Wii by a small margin are technically correct, but this is not a weakness of the PS3 but just showing the strength of the Wii.

speculawyer said:
Beatles beat Guitar Hero 5? Cool. GH is being run into the ground . . . by Activision.
Activision needs to rethink their exploitation strategy or one of their biggest franchises will be relegated to irrelevance, imo.

Top Bottom