• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD September 2011 Sales Results [Update 3: FIFA 12, Madden 12, Dead Island]

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
BurntPork said:
As I said in the other thread:

I don't think it's going to take off here. I mean, the weekly average is about double what it was before the cut, but at the same time that's just not enough here. At this rate, it'll be lucky to hit 2 million by the end of the year.

Speaking of 2 million, if Gears 3 sold 2 mil, how much did Madden sell? o_O

...Wat.
IIRC, last month 3DS reached 1.1 millions and more. Now, it should be near 1.4.
Since in Holidays, numbers grow a lot, do you think it won't do another 600k in three months?
With two of them being the most profitable of the whole year?
Wow.

kneePat

user_nat said:
Yeah, that would be one heck of a coincidence.
Good numbers for the PS3 then.

No 360s with student laptops this month correct? Guess that wasn't such a big deal aferall..

Since when do the numbers for those 360s get counted in NPD data.

DMeisterJ

Banned
CcrooK said:
All according to GAF.

Well, 'charting' is nice, but we all know that the gulf of sales difference between the top (Greater than 2 million) to the bottom will be huge. #10 could have sold something like 1-something-k so being number 7 isn't such an accomplishment until we find out actual numbers, or the lower bounds of the charts.

TheNatural

My Member!
Based on what the 3DS has done weekly in Japan, at about 50K a week, for a 5 week timeframe it's done about as well in Japan with a lot less people as in the US.

fernoca

test_account said:
DS family eh? Nintendo taking notes from Sony hehe ;) But an amazing feature to reach 50 million units in US alone!
Nintendo invented the "family". :p
We got combined numbers between the DS and the GBA back when the DS was "bombing" in the NPD charts. :p

Can start to figure out individual sku top ten from this.

During the month of September, Xbox 360 held six of the top ten console game titles including: “Gears of War 3,” “Madden NFL 12,” “Dead Island,” “FIFA Soccer 12,” “NHL 12” and “Deus EX: Human Revolution.” (Source: NPD Group, September 2011)
Would also think that Resistance made it.
1. Gears
2. 360 Madden
3. PS3 Maddden

Next 7 should include 360 DI, 360 FIFA, 360 NHL, 360 DX, and R3. (not necessarily in that order)

Other two games can't be deduced at this time but my guess would be PS3 NHL and PS3 DI.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
kneePat said:
Since when do the numbers for those 360s get counted in NPD data.
Plenty of people where having a whine about it for the last 3 or 4 months.

I have no idea though.

TheNatural

My Member!
Mpl90 said:
...Wat.
IIRC, last month 3DS reached 1.1 millions and more. Now, it should be near 1.4.
Since in Holidays, numbers grow a lot, do you think it won't do another 600k in three months?
With two of them being the most profitable of the whole year?
Wow.

Listening to Burnt is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. Two months ago the 3DS was the virtual boy 2 and was going to be discontinued.

LowParry

DMeisterJ said:
Well, 'charting' is nice, but we all know that the gulf of sales difference between the top (Greater than 2 million) to the bottom will be huge. #10 could have sold something like 1-something-k so being number 7 isn't such an accomplishment until we find out actual numbers, or the lower bounds of the charts.

I was just trying to be one of the cool kids. All this chart talk is way out of my league. Just happy to see Space Marine up there at least. And still remain baffled how well Black Ops is selling currently.

jaypah

GO VIDEO GAMES GO! good numbers all around. I would have pegged 360 a bit higher but we'll see what they do when the holiday season gets into full swing.

Averon

3DS
Only 260K after that massive price cut? I don't think the 3DS will gain much traction as long as the DS exists.

test_account

XP-39C²
fernoca said:
We got combined numbers between the DS and the GBA back when the DS was "bombing" in the NPD charts. :p
Ok, i see =) I've only seen people making fun of the PS familiy stuff, but i wasnt around in sales age back in the GBA days, so i've must have missed it.

test_account said:
DS family eh? Nintendo taking notes from Sony hehe ;) But an amazing feature to reach 50 million units in US alone!

...except in this case it actually makes sense, as it's referring to a group of like systems and not the "PlayStation family" - this isn't PR to hide crappy numbers like the PS family guff was.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
fernoca said:

At least, they talk about models of a same console, not of two different consoles in one mega group!
However, that DS result is a VERY good indication for 3DS future.

BurntPork said:
As I said in the other thread:

I don't think it's going to take off here. I mean, the weekly average is about double what it was before the cut, but at the same time that's just not enough here. At this rate, it'll be lucky to hit 2 million by the end of the year.
What the hell? You think it's going to average 200K a month, through November and December, with Mario Land and Mario Kart? The fuck are you on?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
jstevenson said:
charting in the top 10 (all skus) as an exclusive is flopping these days?!

Well Resistance 2 did sell 385,000 in Nov. 2008

Need to see where Resistance 3 lies, it might not be a flop, but when others consider R2 not being a great game overall, it could've hurt from tracking more up

November 2008 NPD - Software

1. Gears of War 2 - Xbox 360 - 1.56 million
2. Call of Duty: World at War - Xbox 360 - 1.41 million
3. Wii Play w/ remote - Wii - 796K
4. Wii Fit - Wii - 697K
5. Mario Kart - Wii - 637K
6. Call of Duty: World at War - PS3 - 597K
7. Guitar Hero: World Tour - Wii - 475K
8. Left 4 Dead - Xbox 360 - 410K
9. Resistance 2 - PS3 - 385K
10. Wii Music - Wii - 297K

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
YTD
DS 2,663,732
360 3,446,214
PS3 2,434,948
Wii 2,364,870
3DS 1,417,000

LTD
DS 50,000,000 (My number is incorrect. If anyone wants to help me fix my error I'd appreciate it)
360 28,841,373
PS3 17,896,921
Wii 36,514,494
3DS 1,417,000

Congrats to Space Marine for Charting. That game earned it's sales and to anyone that liked games like Gears, I would honestly recommend giving Space Marine a shot

Kifimbo

NHL 12 charting, and that high, is the biggest surprise for me. I know it was a record launch this year, but I thought it was mostly because of Canada and Europe.

Also thrilled to see Deus Ex again.

BurntPork

Banned
demosthenes said:
Wow, these are impressive for September, right? Not a huge sales-AGE guy here.
Meh. PS3 is up 20% YoY and Wii is more or less flat, 360 went down. DS obviously went down massively due to 3DS, but if you combine DS and 3DS it's <1% over DS last year, which is why it can be said that 3DS is still floundering.

I really don't think that two Mario games will do much for it, either. It'll probably still be in third place for the rest of the year, then drop massively in Q1.

fernoca

August 2011 numbers:
  • Xbox 360: 308K
  • Nintendo 3DS: 235K
  • PlayStation 3: 218K
  • Wii: 190K
  • Nintendo DS: 165K

So, all sold more..except the DS.
So the 3DS seems to be eating the DS sales as expected.

GraveRobberX said:
Well Resistance 2 did sell 385,000 in Nov. 2008

Need to see where Resistance 3 lies, it might not be a flop, but when others consider R2 not being a great game overall, it could've hurt from tracking more up
Keep in mind that jstevenson works at Insomniac (community manager), so I think he knows how well Resistance has sold (and is selling). :p

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Averon said:
3DS
Only 260K after that massive price cut? I don't think the 3DS will gain much traction as long as the DS exists.
It needs compelling software. Right now, it just doesn't have that.

Averon

ThisWreckage said:
Sony would have easily outsold Microsoft if they dropped to 199.99. 50 bucks was too low.

Sony is probably more concerned with keeping their game business profitable that beating MS in NPDs (though I'm sure they would like to have both).

DMeisterJ

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:

Microsoft's PR says the 360 has sold 438k Nintendo's says they sold 240k Wiis.

MS says the 360 sales represent 42% of the market. 438/42 = 10.4 = 1%

10.4 x 58 (The other 58% of hardware) equals 604k.

Minus Nintendo's 240k = 364k for PS3.

Taken with Sony's PR, 312k PS3s were sold last september. Multiplied by 20% you get 374k.

So, somewhere between 364k and 374k with my lazy math.

Mrbob

fernoca said:
August 2011 numbers:
  • Xbox 360: 308K
  • Nintendo 3DS: 235K
  • PlayStation 3: 218K
  • Wii: 190K
  • Nintendo DS: 165K

So, all sold more..except the DS.
So the 3DS seems to be eating the DS sales as expected.

September is a 5 week reporting month, so the total numbers should be up. Comparing weekly sales is a better gauge.

Xbox 360 August 77K a week September 87K a week
PS3 August 54.5K a week September 74.8K a week
3DS August 58.75K a week September 52K a week
Wii August 47.5K a week September 48K a week

muu

3DS numbers looking really good, considering the absence of huge releases on the state side. Honestly expected numbers to go below 200k. Those crying doom and gloom this early in the game better go search for DS sales data, as first year sales minus holiday season (which the 3DS hasn't experienced yet, something many people fail to take into account be it intentional or not) were not exactly great on that side either. DS numbers alone should tell you that transitions between console generations take a while here.

jstevenson said:
charting in the top 10 (all skus) as an exclusive is flopping these days?!

Didn't you say in another thread a couple months ago that you expected R3 to be the best selling PS3 game upon release?

Top Bottom