• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD September 2011 Sales Results [Update 3: FIFA 12, Madden 12, Dead Island]

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
fernoca said:
August 2011 numbers:
  • Xbox 360: 308K (77k per week)
  • Nintendo 3DS: 235K (58.7k)
  • PlayStation 3: 218K (54.5)
  • Wii: 190K (47.5)
  • Nintendo DS: 165K (41.25)

So, all sold more..except the DS.
So the 3DS seems to be eating the DS sales as expected.
4 weeks VS 5 weeks. So everything is expected to go up.

Per week this month:
360: 87.6
PS3: 74.8
Wii: 48
DS: 29
3DS: 52

You are right about everything but the DS being up though (Wii very barely).

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
ThisWreckage said:
Sony would have easily outsold Microsoft if they dropped to 199.99. 50 bucks was too low.
yeah but they probably still want to make as much money from this gen but of course having a newly PS3 around 199.99 when a PS4 is nearing launch isn't going to help.

PS3 did well considering Gears of War 3 came out in September.

I was honestly expecting the Xbox 360 to sell way more than the PS3.

Looks like this holiday won't be as bad as last year for Sony.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
OldJadedGamer said:
Didn't you say in another thread a couple months ago that you expected R3 to be the best selling PS3 game upon release?

Indeed he did. It'll be interesting to see if we ever get that breakdown.

BurntPork

Banned
Exterminieren said:
What the hell? You think it's going to average 200K a month, through November and December, with Mario Land and Mario Kart? The fuck are you on?
Yeah, that just hit me. I don't see it doing more than 450k either of those months, though. DS took off when it hit $130. 3DS will probably need to hit that price point before it even has a chance of outselling the GBA.

user_nat said:
4 weeks VS 5 weeks. So everything is expect to go up.
Yes, 3DS is actually down 12%.

Marius_ said:
yeah but they probably still want to make as much money from this gen but of course having a newly PS3 around 199.99 when a PS4 is nearing launch isn't going to help.

The only reason why they didn't drop more is because they don't want the PS3 to be cheaper than the Vita.

Also, Sony should totally ditch the Resistance franchise. Insomniac is a b tier developer and it's never going to be the Halo type game that they want.

Averon said:
3DS
Only 260K after that massive price cut? I don't think the 3DS will gain much traction as long as the DS exists.

I would agree that they need to end production of DS ASAP if they want the 3DS to really take off in NA. Lots of casuals will always take the cheaper option for their kids, especially if there is confusion about the product, which certainly is the case here.

TheNatural said:
Based on what the 3DS has done weekly in Japan, at about 50K a week, for a 5 week timeframe it's done about as well in Japan with a lot less people as in the US.

A lot more compelling 3DS software has been released in Japan than in the US though. Japanese hardware sales are usually pretty telling of future US and EU hardware sales (unless you're Microsoft of course!)

fernoca

user_nat said:
4 weeks VS 5 weeks. So everything is expect to go up.
I know. As I said, everything but the DS.
Which was the reason of the post. The 3DS pricecut affected the sales of the DS; something that some ignore and others even looked aside in last month's thread; and saw as something passive.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Averon said:
3DS
Only 260K after that massive price cut? I don't think the 3DS will gain much traction as long as the DS exists.
NPD Sept 2005 figures:
GBA = 185,000
DS = 164,000 
PSP = 146,000

Then DS got the right games. Do you see a pattern here?

Boney

Banned
Anyone have a comparison between GBA and DS and how long it took for the DS to phaze out the GBA?

I give it until march at the latest until DS line is completly gone and having the 3DS absorb it's monthly sales.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
The Faceless Master said:
438000 / 0.42 = 1 042 857.14

(1042857 - 438000) - 260000 = 344 857

OR

286 000 * 1.2 = 343 200

maybe my math is bad, i haven't dome stuff like this in a decade or something but it looks like 343k/344k

Wii was 240k not 260k.

Mrbob

muu said:
3DS numbers looking really good, considering the absence of huge releases on the state side. Honestly expected numbers to go below 200k. Those crying doom and gloom this early in the game better go search for DS sales data, as first year sales minus holiday season (which the 3DS hasn't experienced yet, something many people fail to take into account be it intentional or not) were not exactly great on that side either. DS numbers alone should tell you that transitions between console generations take a while here.

3DS numbers are actually the only one slightly down when looking at weekly sales. I did the conversion:

Mrbob said:
September is a 5 week reporting month, so the total numbers should be up. Comparing weekly sales is a better gauge.

Xbox 360 August 77K a week September 87K a week
PS3 August 54.5K a week September 74.8K a week
3DS August 58.75K a week September 52K a week
Wii August 47.5K a week September 48K a week

Not saying the 3DS sales are bad. I think they are fine, but looking at the data closely the price drop didn't give it as big of an explosion as the PS3 drop.

Takao

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
A lot more compelling 3DS software has been released in Japan than in the US though. Japanese hardware sales are usually pretty telling of future US and EU hardware sales (unless you're Microsoft of course!)

Unless you're the PSP!

Shurs

OldJadedGamer said:
Didn't you say in another thread a couple months ago that you expected R3 to be the best selling PS3 game upon release?

Best selling game of the month, or best selling game ever?

Either way, there was no chance of that happening, unless he meant best selling PS3-exclusive of the month.

Banned
Deadly Joker said:
PS3 did well considering Gears of War 3 came out in September.

I was honestly expecting the Xbox 360 to sell way more than the PS3.

Looks like this holiday won't be as bad as last year for Sony.

I certainly hope not. They will be $50 cheaper this holiday.

test_account

XP-39C²
Cosmonaut X said:
...except in this case it actually makes sense, as it's referring to a group of like systems and not the "PlayStation family" - this isn't PR to hide crappy numbers like the PS family guff was.
I first thought that the 3DS numbers where included as well?

Very good numbers for 360 and PS3. Especially the latter surprises me.

DS and Wii are definitely on their last legs. Good thing Nintendo is working on the Wii successor. And let's hope 3DS sales explode during the holidays with the heavy hitters.

nickcv

not a too high number for OoT but zelda never was an extremely huge seller.

i'm wondering what game are these people buying with their brand new 3DS?

edit: my first time in a NPD thread... and on page 2! usually when i get to see the thread it's already at least at page 8 XD

NomarTyme

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I would agree that they need to end production of DS ASAP if they want the 3DS to really take off in NA. Lots of casuals will always take the cheaper option for their kids, especially if there is confusion about the product, which certainly is the case here.
Aren't they already doing that? They just using up all their parts to build the DS now. No point in stopping something that will cost them money.

nickcv said:

Play some DS games.

AniHawk

TOAO_Cyrus said:
Its month to month guys.

(numbers rounded)
438k is 42% of 1043k
Wii + PS3 = 605k
605k-240k = 365k for PS3
218k+20% = 262k

chalk the 3k disparity to various rounding's done by MS and Sony.

math. is there anything it can't do?

Deadbeat

Banned
Hopefully somone reveals the Deus Ex sales numbers. I hope its doing well.
Shurs said:
Either way, there was no chance of that happening, unless he meant best selling PS3-exclusive of the month.
and the only reason it has it is because it came out before Uncharted.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Fernando Rocker said:
So... the 3DS sold more than last month, but according to some of you, it is still doomed.

Never change, GAF.

September was a 5 weeks month, while August was a 4 weeks one, so it HAD to grow however.
Even if it hasn't grown as i expected, it's eating a lot in DS numbers, which are even lower than last month, and always for the fact that September had 5 weeks, this is a very good signal.

TOAO_Cyrus said:
Its month to month guys.

(numbers rounded)
438k is 42% of 1043k
Wii + PS3 = 605k
605k-240k = 365k for PS3
218k+20% = 262k

chalk the 3k disparity to various rounding's done by MS and Sony.

eh it's not a 3k difference it's 103k

muu said:
3DS numbers looking really good, considering the absence of huge releases on the state side. Honestly expected numbers to go below 200k. Those crying doom and gloom this early in the game better go search for DS sales data, as first year sales minus holiday season (which the 3DS hasn't experienced yet, something many people fail to take into account be it intentional or not) were not exactly great on that side either. DS numbers alone should tell you that transitions between console generations take a while here.

Listen to this man, he knows what he's talking about here. This is a good result and a very good sign for the 3DS' future as it shows that the effects of the price drop are not just temporary.

Boney said:
Anyone have a comparison between GBA and DS and how long it took for the DS to phaze out the GBA?

I give it until march at the latest until DS line is completly gone and having the 3DS absorb it's monthly sales.

It took the DS 20 months before it managed to sell more than 200k in a non holiday month. 3DS managed that feat in just 5 months.

test_account

XP-39C²
Fernando Rocker said:
So... the 3DS sold more than last month, but according to some of you, it is still doomed.

Never change, GAF.
4 weeks VS 5 weeks. If the 3DS number that was posted earlier (260k) is true, then the sales actually went down. Still a bit too early to call it doomed yet though in my opinion. I would give it at least out 2011.

RPGamer92

Banned
nickcv said:

They might just be getting them now to avoid a potential shortage when MK and SML come out.

AniHawk

nickcv said:

except for oot and twilight princess

probably oot 3d. one in every three 3ds owners has one. that's kinda like what black ops is to the 360.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I know it may sound stupid, the Dead Island Box Art is an eye catcher

2rmlgk2.jpg

When I went to my local gaming store, a couple of people kept looking at the box for Dead Island and just kept buying it, while I was there 3+ people walked away with a copy, all 360 version

test_account said:
4 weeks VS 5 weeks. If the 3DS number that was posted earlier (260k) is true, then the sales actually went down. Still a bit too early to call it doomed yet though in my opinion. I would give it at least out 2011.

I would expect the sales to have dropped from the month of the price drop. It would be very surprising if it didn't!

BKK

allan-bh said:
Not perfectly.

Microsoft number puts PS3 at 364k.

42% is rounded to nearest percent;

(438000 / .415) - (438000 + 240000) = 377,422
(438000 / .425) - (438000 + 240000) = 352,588

374K is within the margin of rounding error.

EA Sports remains a force to be reckoned with.

I didn't think there was that much demand for NHL games (or maybe everything else bombed? :-( ).

Top Bottom