• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NRA official sets stage for annual convention: we are engaged in a "culture war"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
The irony here, of course, is it is always the NRA themselves that frames any gun control debate as a "culture war". And the NRA know it.

Unfortunately, it will probably actually take a sustained culture war over decades to get any real change for the better.

Yoritomo

Ah... bunch of anti-gun zealots getting called out for disaster politics.

As bad as the old fogeys watching fox news thinking the world is going to hell in a hand basket while violence continues to fall.

Using dead children to fear bait votes that have less of an effect on violent crime than the weather.

You all should be ashamed. Your statistics from the VPC are based on complete bullshit. Constantly claiming 90% when the number who actually support expanded background checks is 48%

Have fun circle jerking in the thread :)

Guns!

628x471ygai9.jpg

628x471kblf5.jpg

628x471poz2r.jpg

628x47194z8j.jpg

Still trying to think of a normal situation where that kind of firepower would be needed to be kept inside the house.

The fact they are trying to frame this narrative as a "war" shows they are scared. They're afraid of the anti gun lobby and aren't sure what its going to do.

Ah... bunch of anti-gun zealots getting called out for disaster politics.

As bad as the old fogeys watching fox news thinking the world is going to hell in a hand basket while violence continues to fall.

Using dead children to fear bait votes that have less of an effect on violent crime than the weather.

You all should be ashamed. Your statistics from the VPC are based on complete bullshit. Constantly claiming 90% when the number who actually support expanded background checks is 48%

Have fun circle jerking in the thread :)
You may want to borrow my flame shield.

TruckDriver

Neo Member
The fact they are trying to frame this narrative as a "war" shows they are scared. They're afraid of the anti gun lobby and aren't sure what its going to do.

This has nothing to do with fear.

It has everything to do with drumming up business and interest for the NRA.

awm8604

Banned
Sadly, it is turning into a culture war. And it's probably not going to have a nice ending.

After the guns being confiscated following Hurricane Katrina, the lockdown and unconstitutional searches that occurred in Boston, and many of the other events in recent years, it is extremely important that Americans who wish to own a firearm be able to do so. It is a protection against a tyrannical government, as the 2nd amendment states.

And it's nice to see the kid with his finger off the trigger. There would be a lot less accidents if everyone learned proper firearm safety and the 4 main rules.

This has nothing to do with fear.

It has everything to do with drumming up business and interest for the NRA.

which is accomplished by framing the gun debate in a narrative of persecution and war. They know everyone is watching what they say at this convention. Fear is the vehicle they use to drum up business and interest for the NRA. It always has been.

PBY

Banned
Sadly, it is turning into a culture war. And it's probably not going to have a nice ending.

After the guns being confiscated following Hurricane Katrina, the lockdown and unconstitutional searches that occurred in Boston, and many of the other events in recent years, it is extremely important that Americans who wish to own a firearm be able to do so. It is a protection against a tyrannical government, as the 2nd amendment states.

And it's nice to see the kid with his finger off the trigger. There would be a lot less accidents if everyone learned proper firearm safety and the 4 main rules.

Please tell me that you're trolling.

Say America ends up somehow with a tyrannical leader- what the FUCK are your guns going to do?

TruckDriver

Neo Member
which is accomplished by framing the gun debate in a narrative of persecution and war. They know everyone is watching what they say at this convention. Fear is the vehicle they use to drum up business and interest for the NRA. It always has been.

True, but I don't think they really have anything to fear from the Anti-Gun Lobby. Their own lobbyists and lobbying groups are so powerful, plus having their own base of supporters who'll support the group to the bitter end.

If the massacring of elementary school children didn't wake this country up to our issues with gun violence, I highly doubt anything will.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just what people steeped in a culture of collecting caches of battlefield weapons need. A convention about fear, paranoia, righteous indignation, and narratives predicated on violent metaphors.

This fucking shit again?

Your guns won't do jack shit against a highly-trained SWAT team, especially the ones from the big cities.

And even if by some goddamn miracle you made it passed them, there is absolutely no way in fucking hell, that you're getting past the US military.

The Whiskey Rebellion was put down EASILY. And that was when the playing field was much more even. It STILL ended in failure.

How did Rebellion work out for the South? The Union crushed their asses.

If you somehow think that you can fight the United States government of 2013, you are delusional and out of your goddamned mind.

Jack_AG

Banned
I don't see any problem with owning a gun.

The problem is the gun culture the NRA nutcases are promoting and the people following it. And this, right here, is batshit insane. Like, idiocracy insanity.
Yup. I don't mind guns at all. But I believe we can start selling them to people who at the very least hold an IQ higher than that of tree bark.

Guns aren't the problem - idiots are. Just like cars don't kill people but the drunk asshole behind the wheel does.

Funny how I can't yank a Library book out without an ID, a library card, etc... But I can get a gun at a convention with cash and a smile.

Again - I am PRO gun rights but against stupid fucking people. Is that a bad thing?

Jack_AG

Banned
This fucking shit again?

Your guns won't do jack shit against a highly-trained SWAT team, especially the ones from the big cities.

And even if by some goddamn miracle you made it passed them, there is absolutely no way in fucking hell, that you're getting past the US military.

The Whiskey Rebellion was put down EASILY. And that was when the playing field was much more even. It STILL ended in failure.

How did Rebellion work out for the South? The Union crushed their asses.

If you somehow think that you can fight the United States government of 2013, you are delusional and out of your goddamned mind.
Then the government would be seen as tyrannical and killing its own people, losing millions of potential taxpayer dollars. The government thinks with money first. Not to mention the problem isn't military strength - its division of the oppressed and fear mongering which causes people like you to stand down, grab your ankles and take what you are being given.

Sad how people have so little self worth that they won't band together to fight for their freedoms because "military herp derp". More of us than them by miles.

PBY

Banned
Then the government would be seen as tyrannical and killing its own people, losing millions of potential taxpayer dollars. The government thinks with money first. Not to mention the problem isn't military strength - its division of the oppressed and fear mongering which causes people like you to stand down, grab your ankles and take what you are being given.

Sad how people have so little self worth that they won't band together to fight for their freedoms because "military herp derp". More of us than them by miles.
The fuck is this. This is terrifying.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

No matter how much extreme right wingers jerk off to the fantasy of banding together and overthrowing a tyranical government with their WalMart assault rifles, it will never play out like that. It's absolutely delusional thinking, and it's absolutely rooted in a sick combination of gun fetishing and paranoia.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Yup. I don't mind guns at all. But I believe we can start selling them to people who at the very least hold an IQ higher than that of tree bark.

Guns aren't the problem - idiots are. Just like cars don't kill people but the drunk asshole behind the wheel does.

Funny how I can't yank a Library book out without an ID, a library card, etc... But I can get a gun at a convention with cash and a smile.

Again - I am PRO gun rights but against stupid fucking people. Is that a bad thing?

The problem is that America's gung-ho gun culture conditions certain people to believe that guns, not laws, are what make them "free". And make them American. "The more guns I have, the more free I am!"

So owning guns isn't merely something that can be ethically justified for responsible adults. It's a god-given right and the mark of a true American. Plus there's a heavy narrative that sitting on a cache of weapons and ammo makes you somehow immune to "tyranny". That if you don't like something in society, you can load up yer shootin' iron and go blow away those ___________ bastards who aren't real Americans.

This is pretty delusional framework. People lost within it believe they actually are part of of a revolutionary army ready to "take back" the country from whoever a demagogue figure paints as a target.

Unpacking and deprogramming American extremist gun culture is probably going to be a generations-long project, if it can be done at all.

Jack_AG

Banned
The fuck is this. This is terrifying.

How so? Because that's what the government is doing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yeA_kHHLow

Yep. There's your elected officials. You can't make this shit up, man. I'm also not advocating taking arms against the gov't - as I really see no need - but sometimes a simple /flex is all you need to diffuse a situation without getting into an encounter.

Speaking about your rights and showing that you have strength to stand up is sometimes all that needs to be done. The gov't won't start a war and Laurie-Billy-Jo-Bob won't be starting one, either.

It's a dick-waving contest. You're either on the side that defends freedom - or the side that wants to persecute it.

Dead Man

Nope. A long and fruitless guerilla war might be possible, but it better be over something other than the 2nd or you will be fighting a very large majority of the population.

If you are going to revolt, it better have very wide support and be for something very bloody important. Background checks and magazine caps aint it.

PBY

Banned
How so? Because that's what the government is doing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yeA_kHHLow

Yep. There's your elected officials. You can't make this shit up, man. I'm also not advocating taking arms against the gov't - as I really see no need - but sometimes a simple /flex is all you need to diffuse a situation without getting into an encounter.

Speaking about your rights and showing that you have strength to stand up is sometimes all that needs to be done. The gov't won't start a war and Laurie-Billy-Jo-Bob won't be starting one, either.

It's a dick-waving contest. You're either on the side that defends freedom - or the side that wants to persecute it.
Jesus Christ man. There's a reason we have a political system. Your views on this shit are scary as hell, tbh.

Jack_AG

Banned
No matter how much extreme right wingers jerk off to the fantasy of banding together and overthrowing a tyranical government with their WalMart assault rifles, it will never play out like that. It's absolutely delusional thinking, and it's absolutely rooted in a sick combination of gun fetishing and paranoia.

I said it wasn't? Weird... I don't see that anywhere.

jerry113

Banned
Please guys, remember that these are minority extremists and don't represent all 300 million residents of USA. None of my friends have guns.
And if anyone seriously think armed citizens could do shit against the US army, air force, and navy, well.... fantasy land.

PBY

Banned
I said it wasn't? Weird... I don't see that anywhere.
Can you answer 2 questions-
1- why do you think you should have the right to own a gun? Try answering this without just citing the 2nd amendment.
2- why do you need a gun?

RDreamer

How the hell is that offensive?

To me you can have your gun for protection, that's fine. Use it in cases where it's needed, too. That's great. But taking pride in the fact that you might have to shoot someone is fucking repugnant. Shooting someone should be a last resort, and you shouldn't be fucking bragging about it. You're shooting a goddamned human life, and possibly killing them.

It comes off as stupid "I don't need anyone else" hick individualism. Like you're just as good as the responders who might come. It also comes off as saying that 911 isn't needed, even though it is for quite a lot more situations than your stupid fucking gun can handle.

Jack_AG

Banned
Jesus Christ man. There's a reason we have a political system. Your views on this shit are scary as hell, tbh.
My views? Where in any of my posts have I stated that taking up arms is what I BELIEVE? Nowhere. Where have I said we need more gun control? ALMOST EVERY DAMN GUN THREAD. I throw out opposing points of view so GAF can stop circle-jerking each other. Too many "yes" men in here and not enough conversation about pros AND cons of both too many guns and too much gun control.

Holy shit you have some crazy views. You should stop being so damn paranoid.

A someone who has stated MANY times in MANY a gun thread that I believe we should have more control, fewer idiots, harsher penalties and more enforcement of gun laws - I find this comical.

It's not my belief. I replied to the ONGOING FUCKING CONVERSATION - so that automatically means I hold the same views?

Seriously?

Are you people really this dense? THAT is what scares me more than Billy-Jo with a gun. The outright labeling and persecution of others without reason.

So silly.

Stand up for your rights?

Your side has advocated changing or modifying to disastrous degrees:

Voting Rights

Civil Rights

Human Rights

Religious Rights

Social Rights

Constitutional Rights

and yet encourages people to take up arms in the "fear" that the "government" is taking away their rights.

Just drop gun regulations completely?

Let people own military grade weapons, obviously it's the only way, because otherwise they won't be able to truly protect themselves from the evil government.
Let them buy SAMs, AT weapons, Landmines, LMGs and Mortars.
Moderation is idiotic, and these guys do nothing more than prepare people for a war.

The gun industry has the US by the balls, and it's prepared to rip them off before conceding.

TruckDriver

Neo Member
Pretty sure that the shirt has more to do with home defense rather than any of that. Call me crazy.

I think the bigger concern is more of citizens taking 'justice' into their own hands, rather than calling the authorities. People certainly have the right to defend themselves in times of personal danger, but there are times when events should be reported to the police/authorities than taken into the hands of a citizen with a gun. (i.e., the whole Trayvon Martin debacle)

Jack_AG

Banned
Can you answer 2 questions-
1- why do you think you should have the right to own a gun? Try answering this without just citing the 2nd amendment.
2- why do you need a gun?

You continuously fail to read anything I write and paint me as a gun-nut (even though I stated MANY times I am pro-gun control)... but I'll play your silly little game.

1) Protect my home and my family.
2) I personally don't.

BowieZ

Banned
Wonder how many of them believe in the freedom to abort, freedom to gay marry, freedom to be Muslim, or freedom to get a fair trial.

Like to see them fight the culture war on the side of those freedoms.

Wonder how many of them believe in the freedom to abort, freedom to gay marry, freedom to be Muslim, or freedom to get a fair trial.

Like to see them fight the culture war on the side of those freedoms.

I love all of those. Plus the guns.

But I would have no faith in the NRA leadership nor their passionate supporters.

ronito

lol what an obvious money/power grab. Scare people with a "culture war" and portray yourself as the one fighting for their side. My wife was fed by hunters much of her childhood so I have respect for gun owners but the NRA is going the far side of crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom