• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NRA official sets stage for annual convention: we are engaged in a "culture war"

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I wish my fellow gun owners would understand that the NRA serves GUN MANUFACTURER not gun owners.

The NRA is a scumbag organization and I wish nothing but the worst for them.

MasLegio

Banned
I do not know how it is in the US but in Europe the term "culture war" is often used by extreme nationalists and racists as a way to bypass the straight out racist terms.

Maybe the NRA have been inspired by the Golden Dawn or the English Defence League

ronito

Ah... bunch of anti-gun zealots getting called out for disaster politics.

As bad as the old fogeys watching fox news thinking the world is going to hell in a hand basket while violence continues to fall.

Using dead children to fear bait votes that have less of an effect on violent crime than the weather.

You all should be ashamed. Your statistics from the VPC are based on complete bullshit. Constantly claiming 90% when the number who actually support expanded background checks is 48%

Have fun circle jerking in the thread :)

You know we've discussed this before Yorimoto. You and I both agree that background checks are a smart thing. Yet you support the organizaiton that effectively killed it. Why?

entremet

I wish my fellow gun owners would understand that the NRA serves GUN MANUFACTURER not gun owners.

This.

I have no idea why people haven't realized this.

I do not know how it is in the US but in Europe the term "culture war" is often used by extreme nationalists and racists as a way to bypass the straight out racist terms.

Maybe the NRA have been inspired by the Golden Dawn or the English Defence League

Culture war stuff has been in right wing politics in the US for ages. It's disgusting, but it wins them elections so they'll continue to use that language.

Jack_AG

Banned
lol what an obvious money/power grab. Scare people with a "culture war" and portray yourself as the one fighting for their side. My wife was fed by hunters much of her childhood so I have respect for gun owners but the NRA is going the far side of crazy.

Government does the same thing - its how they manage to decrease freedom and increase government control.

Social Security because "you're too stupid to save for retirement - we will do it for you".

How's that going? Both sides play that silly game and its quite apparent the government has done a good job with indoctrination since most people here are completely blind to the epic dumb-fuckery the government (any) does to their people.

PBY

Banned
You continuously fail to read anything I write and paint me as a gun-nut (even though I stated MANY times I am pro-gun control)... but I'll play your silly little game.

1) Protect my home and my family.
2) I personally don't.

Just because you say you are pro-gun control doesn't give you free reign to say whatever you want about guns without drawing criticism.

Yes, this should be obvious by now. It's a symptom of the overall lobbying issues plaguing the US government.

ronito

Government does the same thing - its how they manage to decrease freedom and increase government control.

Social Security because "you're too stupid to save for retirement - we will do it for you".

How's that going? Both sides play that silly game and its quite apparent the government has done a good job with indoctrination since most people here are completely blind to the epic dumb-fuckery the government (any) does to their people.

Actually Social Security is solvent and does a lot of good for people.

PBY

Banned

Goddamn you paint this picture of the government as this machine that wants to get as much control as possible. Your worldview is horrifying, and its covered in tin-foil.

Jack_AG

Banned
Just because you say you are pro-gun control doesn't give you free reign to say whatever you want about guns without drawing criticism.

Oh but my comment before you blindly labeled me was about Government vs the "Resistance"

But now I'm saying whatever I want about guns.

OK, peterb0y, I call you out and you switch gears. Piss poor, son.

Chichikov

Sadly, it is turning into a culture war. And it's probably not going to have a nice ending.

After the guns being confiscated following Hurricane Katrina, the lockdown and unconstitutional searches that occurred in Boston, and many of the other events in recent years, it is extremely important that Americans who wish to own a firearm be able to do so. It is a protection against a tyrannical government, as the 2nd amendment states.

And it's nice to see the kid with his finger off the trigger. There would be a lot less accidents if everyone learned proper firearm safety and the 4 main rules.
So you're saying one day you might want to kill our troops and/or our cops, so we should give you better guns?

They mostly represent themselves at this point, they had no problem going after Smith and Wesson for supporting gun control.
They want this culture war, because that's how they get the money, if we had sensible gun laws that most of the population agrees on (which I'm fucking certain we can do) those idiots would have to find a real job.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's pretty hilarious that Rick Perry sees no problem with the fact that you can almost set your watch by the regularity of mass shootings.

So basically they are whipping people into a frenzy of 'we are going to have to fight the government soon!' so they can sell more guns?

That is disgusting, and if people actually believe their bullshit and start killing folk, they need to be held responsible.

Jack_AG

Banned
Goddamn you paint this picture of the government as this machine that wants to get as much control as possible. Your worldview is horrifying, and its covered in tin-foil.

Everyone else paints this picture of gun-owners being hillbillies who want to shoot everything up.

You don't like it when someone turns the table? Then don't post in this thread if it scares you.

You can't have everything your way, champ. The door very much so swings both ways, kid. No party is innocent of fear-mongering - even your beloved government.

I'm glad people are calling out the NRA - but I'm saddened that people won't call out equally shitty tactics by their leaders. Shows the clear lack of open-mindedness society has.

THAT is what chills me to my bone. Blind acceptance of one side.

PBY

Banned
Okay Jack, I'll address your argument.
How so? Because that's what the government is doing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yeA_kHHLow

Yep. There's your elected officials. You can't make this shit up, man. I'm also not advocating taking arms against the gov't - as I really see no need - but sometimes a simple /flex is all you need to diffuse a situation without getting into an encounter.

Speaking about your rights and showing that you have strength to stand up is sometimes all that needs to be done. The gov't won't start a war and Laurie-Billy-Jo-Bob won't be starting one, either.

It's a dick-waving contest. You're either on the side that defends freedom - or the side that wants to persecute it.

The fact that you think guns are any sort of "flex" or push-back, even if its just a form of standing up and showing strength is crazy. We have a political process.

Please tell me that you're trolling.

Say America ends up somehow with a tyrannical leader- what the FUCK are your guns going to do?
Kill American Soldiers, that is literally what they are saying.

And if they want to make it a culture war is one they will lose. Demographics are changing and white southerners are not going to be a majority.

RDreamer

Pretty good, actually. Is that your only example of decreasing freedom and increasing government control? A program that fixed the problem of over 50% of senior citizens sinking into poverty?

Wow, keep trying, dude.

You can't have everything your way, champ. The door very much so swings both ways, kid. No party is innocent of fear-mongering - even your beloved government.

Seriously, though, your example of fear mongering is social security?

Jack_AG

Banned
Okay Jack, I'll address your argument.

The fact that you think guns are any sort of "flex" or push-back, even if its just a form of standing up and showing strength is crazy. We have a political process.

I never said the gun was the /flex. Holy fuck... reading comprehension... do you have it?

Standing up doesn't mean pulling out a gun, genius.

Holy shit you love to spin what I say like crazy, don't you. Look - you don't get to play with words to spin your own argument, that's not how debate works. Welcome to my ignore list, peterb0y.

Their rhetoric scares me, because I sometimes get the feeling that some of them are gleefully looking for an excuse to shoot another human being. Like they might masturbate with their gun at night to the fantasy of a robber breaking in so they could pop off a couple rounds into them and smear the blood over themselves.

1365241057341dduqs.jpg

Axiology

Then the government would be seen as tyrannical and killing its own people, losing millions of potential taxpayer dollars. The government thinks with money first. Not to mention the problem isn't military strength - its division of the oppressed and fear mongering which causes people like you to stand down, grab your ankles and take what you are being given.

Sad how people have so little self worth that they won't band together to fight for their freedoms because "military herp derp". More of us than them by miles.

You're a psycho. And I don't use the term lightly.

The diminishing freedoms of the American public is actually a hugely important issue, and it calls for action, but the idea that the best way to approach this is through the force of arms is completely misguided and impractical, to say the least.

Sensible people, who aren't living in a fantasy world, who point out that this potential armed resistance won't have nukes or F-22s or drones or 3000 currently unused tanks aren't saying that you should grab your ankles and take what's being given to you, they're speaking realistically about an issue which people like you are trivializing to a reprehensible extent. Like, we're still talking about this like it's an episode of The Twilight Zone, but the actual perpetuation of these beliefs could actually lead to some disastrous situations. It's not a joke.

Also, I'd like to point out that the NRA, which is the focus of this thread, has itself done things that have diminished our freedoms and hindered our potential to gain vital information about weapons which could potentially prevent loads of killing and gun trafficking. Or maybe it wouldn't, but we'll never know because currently you can't study the effect of guns on a national level at all. And the NRA supporters and Republicans who go on and on about defending freedom look the other way when every freedom is threatened besides the 2nd Amendment. Where were the gun nuts when the Patriot Act was being passed? Oh yeah, right behind their President (and don't get me wrong here, many liberals are at fault for the same thing with Obama, to a lesser degree). Never mind that these are the same people who constantly tout our need for increases in defense spending when every sane person in the room is saying we don't need any more. Why are these guys trying to strengthen their "enemy" (that is, the American government), I wonder? Especially when they ceaselessly tout the ideals of "small government" at the same time they lift that government closer to invincibility?

You know... I think this whole "armed uprising" thing might just be an excuse because they just really, really like guns. That's just me, but it seems like a credible theory, I dunno.

Edit: You know what the fucking craziest thing about this is? Holy shit. These people vilify the terrorists for trying to overthrow our government at the same time that they profess to want to do the same thing. Like, nothing is less American than suggesting you need your guns for when you're going to fight the military (but God bless the troops, though -_-). This whole idea is treason to the fullest and it still endures because it's a scapegoat for a fucking ridiculous amount of love for guns.

Their rhetoric scares me, because I sometimes get the feeling that some of them are gleefully looking for an excuse to shoot another human being. Like they might masturbate with their gun at night to the fantasy of a robber breaking in so they could pop off a couple rounds into them and smear the blood over themselves.
This is what stand your ground and many castle doctrine advocate are about.

I never said the gun was the /flex. Holy fuck... reading comprehension... do you have it?

Holy shit you love to spin what I say like crazy, don't you. Look - you don't get to play with words to spin your own argument, that's not how debate works. Welcome to my ignore list, peterb0y.
Oh snap, ignore listed. What a badass

Btw champ, SS is solvent

Chichikov

That's exactly what they're trying to do, you troll people, make them lose their shit, then quote it to gun owners and gun makers saying "you see? they're coming for your guns, CornBurrito even said you masturbate with them, so you see how irrational is their gun hate?".

That is literally their playbook.

Wilsongt

We're laughing now, but in the event of a zombie Apocalypse, the gun nuts will be the survivors. :(

In all seriousness, these people are batshit crazy.

Yoritomo

You know we've discussed this before Yorimoto. You and I both agree that background checks are a smart thing. Yet you support the organizaiton that effectively killed it. Why?

Honestly, because neogaf is weird. Any other forum I post to or read is pretty balanced with regards to guns, there's something odd about the insular nature of gaf and the constant unending outrage that makes gun threads resemble daily kos, or mother jones comment sections.

It's not just focused on guns but given my background and knowledge on the subject it's the easiest way for me to fuck with gaf without wasting too much time doing any research. Just buying a suppressor forces you to gain enough knowledge about gun regulation that it's easy to point out how ignorant other people are on the subject. the legal consequences of not knowing what you're doing when purchasing firearms are pretty severe while the physical consequences of not knowing what you're doing when USING a firearm are even more life altering. Gun culture itself is a civilizing force amongst gun owners and hobby shooters. The 4 rules are drilled into our heads, mistakes are called out loudly and the irresponsible are shamed.

In that sense it is a culture war. I see gun culture and the culture around sport shooting as civilizing and safety oriented, other people call me a gun nut and any inroads that demonize gun ownership is considered a win for their side. I enjoy calling out gaf on its own bullshit, because on this subject it's just as biased as the more aggressive media and blog sites and almost unique in that respect for online open participation forums.

It also happens to be a outlier since the younger you are, the more likely you are to not support additional gun control based on some recent polling. Neogaf's demographic of being young males is actually the least likely to support additional gun control yet here we are... neogaf.

Dude Abides

Banned

It's not peterb0y's fault that you're really bad at expressing yourself such that you come off as unhinged.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Likely not going to happen until more high profile members start calling that out. With how the NRA handle PR, a lot of members wouldn't believe it at all.

628x471jbzab.jpg

I think extremists like to fantasize that the military wouldn't fight their armed resistance against the government; they would join them.

Jack_AG

Banned
Pretty good, actually. Is that your only example of decreasing freedom and increasing government control? A program that fixed the problem of over 50% of senior citizens sinking into poverty?

Wow, keep trying, dude.?

I'll go ahead and list one by one and each time I will get this response ^^ not going to play that silly game. Its readily available information.

Seriously, though, your example of fear mongering is social security?

No, my example of fear mongering wasn't SS. Thanks for trying to tie two different posts with different context together and failing, tho.

You're a psycho. And I don't use the term lightly.

The diminishing freedoms of the American public is actually a hugely important issue, and it calls for action, but the idea that the best way to approach this is through the force of arms is completely misguided and impractical, to say the least.

Laughable. I had to stop here since I never said it was nor do I subscribe to that idea. I can't read/respond when people take what I say out of context - especially without understanding my position on guns and especially the nutjobs of the NRA.

Sad that people like you have to resort to these tactics to make yourself feel better on an internet forum. Very sad.

Jack_AG

Banned
It's not peterb0y's fault that you're really bad at expressing yourself such that you come off as unhinged.

I get accused of being something I'm not and I'm supposed to be all chill about it - I've expressed my views SEVERAL times and they have been ignored for the sake of piss-poor argument because some people would rather hear themselves speak instead of actually listening to what someone says and backing down.

Look, I like good conversation. To me - stoking each other isn't a conversation, debate is. We can all join hands together and sing songs around a fire but that won't move anything forward.

I make a comment extrapolating on another users comment and now all of a sudden - I'm the asshole and the ORIGINAL poster of that point of view is forgotten? Even though I don't hold the same view?

This is adult discussion? This is how it works according to you folks? This is how you act in everyday life?

"HERP DERP HE MADE A COMMENT ABOUT GUNS HES A RIGHT WINGER EXTREMEST JACKHOLE GUN LOVING MANIAC! GIT EM GAF!"

Yah no - that's not how it works, kids.

Alright, fine by me.

Every other "culture war" the right has started they have lost significantly, so I am alright with this.

I mean, they did have early success against gays, now we are coming up on the GOP losing a generation of voters because of it.

They also tried this with religion, and now the fastest growing religion is "unaffiliated"

I get accused of being something I'm not and I'm supposed to be all chill about it - I've expressed my views SEVERAL times and they have been ignored for the sake of piss-poor argument because some people would rather hear themselves speak instead of actually listening to what someone says and backing down.

Look, I like good conversation. To me - stoking each other isn't a conversation, debate is. We can all join hands together and sing songs around a fire but that won't move anything forward.

I make a comment extrapolating on another users comment and now all of a sudden - I'm the asshole and the ORIGINAL poster of that point of view is forgotten? Even though I don't hold the same view?

This is adult discussion? This is how it works according to you folks? This is how you act in everyday life?

"HERP DERP HE MADE A COMMENT ABOUT GUNS HES A RIGHT WINGER EXTREMEST JACKHOLE GUN LOVING MANIAC! GIT EM GAF!"

Can you please articulate your position again. I still have no idea what you believe.

Chichikov

Alright, fine by me.

Every other "culture war" the right has started they have lost significantly, so I am alright with this.

I mean, they did have early success against gays, now we are coming up on the GOP losing a generation of voters because of it.

They also tried this with religion, and now the fastest growing religion is "unaffiliated"
Wayne LaPierre makes around a million dollar a year, by the time it comes to pass, he'll be retired on an island somewhere.
The NRA is mostly serving itself.

Can I give an advice?
Stop defending your posts for a second, take a step back and try to articulate your position on the issue a bit more clearly, you're a bit all over the place.

Axiology

Laughable. I had to stop here since I never said it was nor do I subscribe to that idea. I can't read/respond when people take what I say out of context - especially without understanding my position on guns and especially the nutjobs of the NRA.

Sad that people like you have to resort to these tactics to make yourself feel better on an internet forum. Very sad.

So when you say something like

Jack_AG said:
Then the government would be seen as tyrannical and killing its own people, losing millions of potential taxpayer dollars. The government thinks with money first. Not to mention the problem isn't military strength - its division of the oppressed and fear mongering which causes people like you to stand down, grab your ankles and take what you are being given.

Sad how people have so little self worth that they won't band together to fight for their freedoms because "military herp derp". More of us than them by miles.

in response to

TacticalFox88 said:
This fucking shit again?

Your guns won't do jack shit against a highly-trained SWAT team, especially the ones from the big cities.

And even if by some goddamn miracle you made it passed them, there is absolutely no way in fucking hell, that you're getting past the US military.

The Whiskey Rebellion was put down EASILY. And that was when the playing field was much more even. It STILL ended in failure.

How did Rebellion work out for the South? The Union crushed their asses.

If you somehow think that you can fight the United States government of 2013, you are delusional and out of your goddamned mind.

you're saying you're not supporting the use of weapons to fight the government? How does that work? What do words mean?

Dude Abides

Banned

More incoherent ranting doesn't help your case, son.

In that sense it is a culture war. I see gun culture and the culture around sport shooting as civilizing and safety oriented, other people call me a gun nut and any inroads that demonize gun ownership is considered a win for their side. I enjoy calling out gaf on its own bullshit, because on this subject it's just as biased as the more aggressive media and blog sites and almost unique in that respect for online open participation forums.

The thing is the NRA is about breaking down safety for the people on the receiving end of the bullet, its all and well they teach the guy holding the gun about safety but they make it easier for him to pull the trigger kill someone and walk away without facing consequences.

Again this debate isn't about gun owners, its about people who are being murdered by your "safety oriented" culture.

If you are so much about sport shooting and hunting why the hell isn't gun registry something you call for, how does it hurt law abiding citizens who just want to hunt and shot targets? What about limiting where you can carry a gun? How does having the right to carry a hidden gun in the supermarket affect gun sports or hunting?

There is plenty of gun culture and hunting in countries like Norway, Australia and what not that have strict gun laws. They won't hurt "law abiding citizens" that truly only care about what you claim to care about.

And how is gun culture "civilizing?" What does that mean?

I think extremists like to fantasize that the military wouldn't fight their armed resistance against the government; they would join them.

Which would take away the need for guns wouldn't it?

At this point, pretty much anyone that is sane knows that banning guns just isn't going to happen; at least not anytime soon. For one, there are too many of them. For two, too many people are more invested in the second amendment than anything else in their lives; it's almost as bad a religion at this point.

So, we have to keep guns. Awesome. Why the fuck can't we do some basic regulation? Like, for instance, mandatory safety classes? National registration? Background checks and rechecks, yearly licensing? Why would all these law abiding gun owners have problems with that? Because that will somehow discourage people from buying more guns? Because blah blah tyranny? When can we start treating guns like dangerous weapons instead of toys?

Axiology

At this point, pretty much anyone that is sane knows that banning guns just isn't going to happen; at least not anytime soon. For one, there are too many of them. For two, too many people are more invested in the second amendment than anything else in their lives; it's almost as bad a religion at this point.

So, we have to keep guns. Awesome. Why the fuck can't we do some basic regulation? Like, for instance, mandatory safety classes? National registration? Background checks and rechecks, yearly licensing? Why would all these law abiding gun owners have problems with that? Because that will somehow discourage people from buying more guns? Because blah blah tyranny? When can we start treating guns like dangerous weapons instead of toys?

Never o'clock

ronito

Honestly, because neogaf is weird. Any other forum I post to or read is pretty balanced with regards to guns, there's something odd about the insular nature of gaf and the constant unending outrage that makes gun threads resemble daily kos, or mother jones comment sections.

It's not just focused on guns but given my background and knowledge on the subject it's the easiest way for me to fuck with gaf without wasting too much time doing any research. Just buying a suppressor forces you to gain enough knowledge about gun regulation that it's easy to point out how ignorant other people are on the subject. the legal consequences of not knowing what you're doing when purchasing firearms are pretty severe while the physical consequences of not knowing what you're doing when USING a firearm are even more life altering. Gun culture itself is a civilizing force amongst gun owners and hobby shooters. The 4 rules are drilled into our heads, mistakes are called out loudly and the irresponsible are shamed.

It also happens to be a outlier since the younger you are, the more likely you are to not support additional gun control based on some recent polling. Neogaf's demographic of being young males is actually the least likely to support additional gun control yet here we are... neogaf.
I can see why you'd think that. But I'd argue that the NRA is no longer keeping that mantle in my mind. They've moved away from sensible legislation to catering to more guns, bigger guns, guns for everyone, guns everywhere. It's no surprise then that many now equate "NRA = gun nut" especially when the NRA is actively against things that many of the gun owners I know are for such as background checks, mandatory training and such.

because its not about "law abiding citizens"

the 911 shirt clearly shows this. its about fear and wanting to be able to kill without consequences when "threatened". Which can be as simple as a black teen listening to rap music.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content/jordandavis/default.aspx

because its not about "law abiding citizens"

the 911 shirt clearly shows this. its about fear and wanting to be able to kill without consequences when "threatened". Which can be as simple as a black teen listening to rap music.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content/jordandavis/default.aspx

I used the words 'law abiding citizens' because that's the argument for the most part; that any regulation would hurt 'law abiding gun owners'.

But you are right. It basically just breaks down to epeen stroking at this point?

i-Lo

And this is why I support where NRA is heading. Eventually it will hit the tipping point and many more will die. Perhaps their deaths will galvanize the need for change.

A most welcome enema.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
"The War of Northern Aggression"

*Never misses an opportunity to tell everyone that Abraham Lincoln was a Republican

They'd respond by saying the Republicans of the time are the Democrats now. Which they would never mention if they wanted to refer to him as a Republican for something that supports their point of view for something.

Regarding your suggestion of basic regulation, I just recently joined a rifle and pistol club in the UK. Before I could join, the police did a background check on me. Now I'm a provisional member for 6 months, and if I go for a minimum of 15 sessions in those six months, and demonstrate a list of competencies regarding proper weapons handling and safety which are each signed off by the club members, I'll be considered for full membership. If I am made a full member THEN I can apply for a Firearms Certificate (another police check here). Then if I can prove that I own a gun safe conforming to a British Standard (essentially that it's built into a wall), then I can buy a gun.

I still feel that I'm "free" to own a gun if I want one, and that all of the above simply represents reasonable precautions for letting someone buy a dangerous piece of equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom