• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NSFW :You should dust off and keep your gaming system clean ( kotaku article)

Persona7

Banned
This disgusting thread is going to give me nightmares.

How does this even happen? By letting dogs and cats sleep on the things?

Small amount of dust are sucked in every single minute your system is on and the fans are operating. Small amounts of dust over years will be a lot.

Walpurgis

Banned
This thread has made me ill. I was thinking of buying a new hard drive for my six year old 80 GB PS3. However, after the things that I have seen here, I will never, ever open my PS3.
Please tell me that is some sort of yellow tea in that bottle.
Why don't you give it a taste and let us know? :p

FStop7

Banned
One of my first jobs was a PC tech in the days when everybody still had mid and mini size tower cases. We'd get PCs and printers from offices that used to allow smoking, too.

The shit I've seen, man.

One of my first jobs was a PC tech in the days when everybody still had mid and mini size tower cases. We'd get PCs and printers from offices that used to allow smoking, too.

The shit I've seen, man.

It his horrific to see what smoke does to things.

The horror. The horror.

My friend's parents would smoke in their townhouse, and I remember being curious and disgusted as a kid when I saw that his SNES had turned yellow.

My Mom smoked in our garage, but would never smoke in the house or allow anyone else to.

You should see the amount of dust you would have in your ps4 already....i have done quite a few thermal paste swaps for myself and freinds and in all of them there is a nice cluggy build up on the fan and surroundings

This thread made me unhook all my consoles and go to town with some compressed air and a microfiber cloth. I heard the PS4 collects dust inside it pretty quickly, and mine sounds like a jet engine anytime I put in GTA V or TLOU, so I'll be opening that up tomorrow. Thanks for the bump.

Sakujou

Banned
simply disgusting. i cant believe how people are living or treating their electronics or in what kind of environment they live.

is this called civilisation?

I had a bad habit of not cleaning the dust from my computer. Once I let three years go by without any cleaning and when I finally got off my ass to do some cleaning...I quickly became a believer in regularly scheduled cleaning of my PC.

drotahorror

This has been one of my favorite investments over the years. Have had it for 4 years and it's still strong as ever.

ph59hzO.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001J4ZOAW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's a monster too, about as loud as a full sized vacuum cleaner

My vents have never had dust bunnies around them and I dust once a month, so I should be good. I expect a bit of dust inside, but not build up.

TheFatMan

I live in a really dusty part of the country, and I've seen the inside of consoles and computers that look like that or worse on a regular basis.

Unless people open there consoles up and dust them out, chances are your system doesn't look much better after a few years of sucking in dust, and skin and hair and everything else.

Iorv3th

I live in a really dusty part of the country, and I've seen the inside of consoles and computers that look like that or worse on a regular basis.

Unless people open there consoles up and dust them out, chances are your system doesn't look much better after a few years of sucking in dust, and skin and hair and everything else.

use compressed air on it or dust around your electronics weekly.

I have had a few power supplies I have had to replace in computers because people don't ever clean them out. Things get dust built up which causes heat build up and stuff breaks.

Seen some disgusting cases, but still haven't seen anything like the dead mouse in fan picture.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I took my ps4 apart last night to clean out the fan, it was running loud and clicking. I was surprised at the amount of dust. It's running a lot quieter now, but over the weekend I'm going to take the while thing apart, get rid of all dust and apply new thermal paste.I think from now on I'll open it up every couple of months and clean it out.

.la1n

I probably spend way more time keeping my electronics clean than is necessary. Pictures like these remind me why I do it though. I'm proud all of my consoles back to my original NES still run fine.

gblues

Banned
I think the NSFW thing is due to ModBot auto-renaming thread titles that start with "PSA:"

Something similar happened to the "New Nintendo 3DS is the best SNES emulator" thread.

ProTip: Don't start threads that start with "PSA:" :)

You're not supposed to use compressed air, though, are you?

?

Just don't turn the can upside down when you spray it. Cleaning the system itself is super easy, take out the few screws, pop the top, disconnect components(if you want) and then spray the dust out. Very easy.

?

Just don't turn the can upside down when you spray it. Cleaning the system itself is super easy, take out the few screws, pop the top, disconnect components(if you want) and then spray the dust out. Very easy.

its not good for it because it can make the fans spin fast and damage them

Someone needs to make a filter that goes over the vents that you can remove and wash every few months

I'm far to afraid too do it or open my systems up.

Mine never have layers of dust on them, though, nor do the vents get clogged or show any dust. Just surface dust, which I clean.

Sayter

Both my PS4 and Wii U have dust in the vents. I want to use a vacuum to suck out the dust. But then I remembered someone posting a thread saying their PS4 no longer worked properly after doing the same thing.

I live with my grandmother at the moment and her house has always been ant and roach infested. no amount of cleanliness affects the amount of roaches either. they just stroll (or fly in worst cases) across the living room in mid day with people doing stuff! be scared of us!!

anyways im sure my consoles will break some day due to hitting Maximum Occupancy.

When I worked at EBgames, dust was often the least concern. Worst were infestations. Cockroaches, centipedes, and spiders were normal. The worst (and rarest) were mice/hamsters. I never understood how people could neglect something so poorly.

Oh and rocks. A couple stories with rocks.

I don't vacuum the tile floor in my room all that much, yet still don't get much dust build-up on consoles. I keep the door closed, though, and only let my cats in sparingly.

Isn't smoking particularly bad for PC's and consoles? Smoke is sticky when it settles on metal and makes dust stick far easier. I only ask becuase my brother smokes and his PC looked like the pics but mine is pretty dust free and I don't smoke. Also my PC is in a well ventilated place but my bro's isn't.

Isn't smoking particularly bad for PC's and consoles? Smoke is sticky when it settles on metal and makes dust stick far easier. I only ask becuase my brother smokes and his PC looked like the pics but mine is pretty dust free and I don't smoke. Also my PC is in a well ventilated place but my bro's isn't.

From what I've witnessed you're spot on. Weed seems like it might be especially worse as well.

Iorv3th

You're not supposed to use compressed air, though, are you?

It's fine to use. Use it when it's powered off though is probably better.

its not good for it because it can make the fans spin fast and damage them

Someone needs to make a filter that goes over the vents that you can remove and wash every few months

It won't damage them. Cheapest filter for fans, pantyhose and stretch them over the cover.

Top Bottom