• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nutrition Thread |OT| You Can't Outwork A Shit Diet

Shark Gun

Neo Member
Non-shitFood|GAF, I have a dilemma.

I am trying to eat more sensibly, but I've always been a hearty breakfast kind of guy. I keep getting conflicting information regarding dieting saying I should eat a few small meals a day, or I should eat two big meals and snack in the evening, etc. My problem is, if I eat a small meal in the morning I feel really lethargic all day until lunch, and even then I just don't have any juice. As it stands now, I eat a big breakfast and usually have just a small snack around lunch time, and then a modest-sized meal for dinner. Am I screwing up my own efforts to eat healthier by adopting this pattern of eating, or am I doing okay with the big morning meal?

You basically just have to watch your intake. When that happens doesn't really matter. Just burn of more than you eat and you'll loose weight. You can have a huge breakfast but then have to cut down the other meals through the day. There is no "right" way of doing it. Try to figure out a routine that works for you and start tweaking what you eat, not when you eat.

Bowser

I am trying to eat more sensibly, but I've always been a hearty breakfast kind of guy. I keep getting conflicting information regarding dieting saying I should eat a few small meals a day, or I should eat two big meals and snack in the evening, etc. My problem is, if I eat a small meal in the morning I feel really lethargic all day until lunch, and even then I just don't have any juice. As it stands now, I eat a big breakfast and usually have just a small snack around lunch time, and then a modest-sized meal for dinner. Am I screwing up my own efforts to eat healthier by adopting this pattern of eating, or am I doing okay with the big morning meal?

The whole "eat more frequently to rev your metabolism" thing is a myth. Just make sure you get your proper intake throughout the day that works for you. Could be in two big meals, could be in 6 small meals. Everyone is different, do what works for you.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Go with the above advice but put me in the "fuck breakfast" camp. Save it for when it matters!

Bowser

Go with the above advice but put me in the "fuck breakfast" camp. Save it for when it matters!

Sorry Vinny Mac, I can't be in your "fuck breakfast" crew. I love me some breakfast.

Then again I generally workout in the mornings so I needs my calories sooner.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Why waste your time on a breakfast when you can get hungry and go nuts at lunch?

Bowser

Absolutely. I know everyone is different but for me eating in the morning only increases my hunger throughout the day.

Why waste your time on a breakfast when you can get hungry and go nuts at lunch?

See, I'm kind of backwards. A lot of people get hungrier as the day goes on and eat big dinners. It makes sense to skip breakfast if that's how you're wired. Me, I wake up hungry and eat a lot for breakfast and lunch, but generally not much at dinner. Honestly, I actually don't really "eat dinner" in the traditional sense - I don't have a meal, but rather a hearty snack (usually something like greek yogurt, some peanut butter, and some nuts [when low carb] or a quarter cup granola [when carbs are up]).

Works for me.

I need breakfast alternatives for my low carb diet, rest of the day I make it ok, but I'm so used to have big bowls of oatmeal or cereal in the morning that I wake up craving carbohydrates.

Bowser

I need breakfast alternatives for my low carb diet, rest of the day I make it ok, but I'm so used to have big bowls of oatmeal or cereal in the morning that I wake up craving carbohydrates.

Eggs and bacon
Omelet
Leftovers from last night’s dinner
Coffee with cream
A can of mackerel and boiled eggs
Boiled egg with mayonnaise or butter
Avocado, salmon and crème fraiche
Sandwich on Oopsie-bread
A piece of very thin hard bread with lots of butter, cheese, ham, etc.
Cheese with butter on it
Boiled eggs mashed with butter, chopped chives, salt and pepper
A piece of brie cheese and some ham or salami
High-fat yogurt with nuts and seeds (and maybe berries)

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Alternatives?

Eggs and cheese and the blackest of all black pepper.

Niks

Question for nutrition-gaf.

Im currently what you would call, a skinny fat person. Been skinny all my life, but having a sedentary life with little exercise has lead me to.my current state (a flabby gut with skinny arms/legs).

About a year ago I tried to change myself, so I started to exercise and succesfully put on a bit of muscle, got off sodas, but my gut didnt went down.. because of this I got a bit disheartened and stopped trying.

now I want to start again. My question is should I first diet to shed on some kgs (im about 5kg overweight) and only then start exercising again to build muscle?

PBY

Banned

Im currently what you would call, a skinny fat person. Been skinny all my life, but having a sedentary life with little exercise has lead me to.my current state (a flabby gut with skinny arms/legs).

About a year ago I tried to change myself, so I started to exercise and succesfully put on a bit of muscle, got off sodas, but my gut didnt went down.. because of this I got a bit disheartened and stopped trying.

now I want to start again. My question is should I first diet to shed on some kgs (im about 5kg overweight) and only then start exercising again to build muscle?
Feel like this calls for Starting Strength.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Being a skinnyfat means you can do both. If you were morbidly obese I'd recommend diet only until you're in a better state for physical activity, but you should hit up Starting Strength and get your diet right. Head over to Fit-GAF and read the OP (community section) and we'll get you on the way. But read the OP!

Bowser

Gut is always, always the last to go. I've been exercising and dieting for the better part of 20 months now and this damn lower belly/lower back fat is a bitch to get rid of...but you gotta keep at it.

Koriandrr

I go with nice porridge + fruits + a small spoon of honey for breakfast, keeps me burning till early lunch, since porridge is such a slow burn, it lasts throughout the whole day. Can't live without breakfast though - no idea how people skip breakfast, I can't imagine doing it.

What's some nice books/blogs for good recipes? I'm really trying my best to get into cooking, since that's the best and cheapest way to live healthy, but I'm honestly a terrible cook and I generally hate cooking (see it as a waste of time). I wouldn't spend hours just to cook something, I have extremely limited free time and it's very precious to me.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I go with nice porridge + fruits + a small spoon of honey for breakfast, keeps me burning till early lunch, since porridge is such a slow burn, it lasts throughout the whole day. Can't live without breakfast though - no idea how people skip breakfast, I can't imagine doing it.

What's some nice books/blogs for good recipes? I'm really trying my best to get into cooking, since that's the best and cheapest way to live healthy, but I'm honestly a terrible cook and I generally hate cooking (see it as a waste of time). I wouldn't spend hours just to cook something, I have extremely limited free time and it's very precious to me.
Well, I eat about 1600 calories right before bed. That usually means I wake up not particularly hungry. Water to fight the hunger also helps. It's pretty easy and like with anything, the more you do it the easier it gets.

Koriandrr

Well, I eat about 1600 calories right before bed. That usually means I wake up not particularly hungry. Water to fight the hunger also helps. It's pretty easy and like with anything, the more you do it the easier it gets.

Ahh that makes more sense haha. 1600 is more than I eat per day, so.. I'm definitely the small portions, but often type of person. I eat approx. every 3 hours, but I can't force myself to eat large portions even if I wanted to. Going to restaurants is my worst enemy, because I always have to ask for half of my food to be saved in a box for later :(

Bowser

Yep, IF is a pretty rad way to eat. I'm currently doing a 16/8 IF, but not a traditional sort of IF where you eat from, say, 12-8 or 1-9, but 8-4. I'm pretty full throughout the day, drink a ton of water post-4pm, and go to sleep around 1030-11. Working great so far, and like I said, I'm a bit different in that I don't generally get hungry at night (although I'm sure if I switched to a more traditional IF I'd be hungrier later in the day, not so much in the morning, but I digress).

Cooter

Ahh that makes more sense haha. 1600 is more than I eat per day, so.. I'm definitely the small portions, but often type of person. I eat approx. every 3 hours, but I can't force myself to eat large portions even if I wanted to. Going to restaurants is my worst enemy, because I always have to ask for half of my food to be saved in a box for later :(
Do what works for you. Ever since I was a kid I preferred to eat until I was stuffed. I used to be Sizzler's worst nightmare when we'd go for all-you-can eat shrimp. This pattern of eating allows me to continue to have a huge meal while keeping my daily calories relatively low. When added with heavy weight training it is a dream come true.

Doran902

I tried the low carb thing, like, I really tried, but I found my energy levels really low at the gym. The last 4 months I have been going every day for 60-90 minutes and I am down about 30 pounds. The problem I am having is I don't know if it was being on low carb or not eating enough that was the problem, I get enough sleep, about 8 hours a night. As soon as I started adding in some carbs like bananas, oatmeal, brown rice I felt a ton better.

CrankyJay

Banned
I tried the low carb thing, like, I really tried, but I found my energy levels really low at the gym. The last 4 months I have been going every day for 60-90 minutes and I am down about 30 pounds. The problem I am having is I don't know if it was being on low carb or not eating enough that was the problem, I get enough sleep, about 8 hours a night. As soon as I started adding in some carbs like bananas, oatmeal, brown rice I felt a ton better.

wow...i went threw the EXACT same thing...did low carb, wasn't sure if i was eating enough etc.

Hey guys I have a question. I'm about 5'7 200 lbs. I'm not exactly "fat" but I'm a little chubby with a gut and moobs I need to get rid of. I just signed up for a gym around my way but I don't really know what to do there. Every time that I have gone to a gym I always did random things there with no clear goal. What's a good beginner workout regimen so that I'm not just hopping from machine to machine without a clue. This whole nutrition and healthy living stuff goes right over my head because of all the conflicting information. If anyone has a workout plan or regimen that would be helpful because I was just gonna go to gym and run on the treadmill. Thanks.

Bowser

Hey guys I have a question. I'm about 5'7 200 lbs. I'm not exactly "fat" but I'm a little chubby with a gut and moobs I need to get rid of. I just signed up for a gym around my way but I don't really know what to do there. Every time that I have gone to a gym I always did random things there with no clear goal. What's a good beginner workout regimen so that I'm not just hopping from machine to machine without a clue. This whole nutrition and healthy living stuff goes right over my head because of all the conflicting information. If anyone has a workout plan or regimen that would be helpful because I was just gonna go to gym and run on the treadmill. Thanks.

You're in the wrong thread. Check out the FitGAF OP: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=831799

CrankyJay

Banned

Check out the OP of http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=831799, there should be some programs listed there with you exactly in mind.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

you don't want to put yourself into a sustained hunger state for a long period of time. If you are hungry for an hour or two no problem. If you are hungry for like 4-12 hours, your body will compensate most likely going into preservation mode (i.e. used the increased appetite to store fat with some of what you are taking in)

basically when you are hungry, eat. If you are not hungry at breakfast don't worry about it. If you are hungry at breakfast you are probably much better off eating a breakfast.

bottom line is ALWAYS listen to your body. As long as you are properly cutting out quantities of sugars/grains/bad fats your body should on its own do an awesome job of hunger/satiation control.

this is very common of any lower carb diet. The Paleo Diet (the actual book) even suggests that if you have a high caloric need with heavy workouts and such that you may need to get extra calories in beyond just "listening to your body". I will typically feel fine at around (not counting but just guestimating) like 2400 calories on a workout day.. however I will really struggle with performance/gains at the gym doing that. if I bump that up to 3000+ (usually a bowl of a sweet potato and unsweetened apple sauce mix) it makes a night and day difference.. though admittedly I have to "force" myself to eat it (because I'm not hungry). I just try to snack on it a little bit after dinner.

nutrition is easy if you are low to moderately active. If you maintain a constant high activity level, a good low carb diet will get you most of the way, but you'll have to usually figure a little bit of it out depending on your body and what it needs.

Bowser

wow...i went threw the EXACT same thing...did low carb, wasn't sure if i was eating enough etc.

Low-carb/keto diets generally have an induction period lasting anywhere from 6-12 weeks where your body goes through the process of becoming "fat-adapted" so that it can optimally use fat (whether body or dietary) for energy. Workout performance, especially heavy weight and/or HIIT, generally suffers during this phase. Some people will take anywhere from 5-30g of fast digesting, high glycemic carbs 20-30 min before a workout which tends to help (think something like Gatorade).

Anecdotally speaking, I've found it very difficult to do HIIT while on a low carb diet, but weights are generally ok for me. When I do HIIT (only once a week), I generally drink a bit of Gatorade 5-10 minutes before the workout and then sip on a diluted mixture of Gatorade and water during.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

That type of diet may just not have been for you guys, but a terribly common mistake many people who go low-carb make is that they just try to pack on protein. You need to eat a lot of fat when eliminating carbs. A lot of it. Something like 60-80% of your intake should be from fat. If you don't do this, chances are you will feel like shit.

borghe

Low-carb/keto diets generally have an induction period lasting anywhere from 6-12 weeks where your body goes through the process of becoming "fat-adapted" so that it can optimally use fat (whether body or dietary) for energy. Workout performance, especially heavy weight and/or HIIT, generally suffers during this phase. Some people will take anywhere from 5-30g of fast digesting, high glycemic carbs 20-30 min before a workout which tends to help (think something like Gatorade).

Anecdotally speaking, I've found it very difficult to do HIIT while on a low carb diet, but weights are generally ok for me. When I do HIIT (only once a week), I generally drink a bit of Gatorade 5-10 minutes before the workout and then sip on a diluted mixture of Gatorade and water during.

biggest problems with low carb come just like you said.. HIIT, circuits, any sort of metabolic conditioning. the fat to energy conversion is nowhere as efficient as the glucose to energy conversion.. it's what is typically called in endurance as "hitting the wall".

for any sort of high activity (non-endurance) metabolic training you will typically see much better results introducing a modest carb load into your diet. It's why most high performance athletes doing low carb will typically do Paleo or Primal with additional carbs as opposed to a ketogenic diet. Of course you don't necessarily "need" to per se, but the majority of people will typically see noticeably better results. The downside being that you will probably get knocked out of ketosis by doing so.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
biggest problems with low carb come just like you said.. HIIT, circuits, any sort of metabolic conditioning. the fat to energy conversion is nowhere as efficient as the glucose to energy conversion.. it's what is typically called in endurance as "hitting the wall".

That's incorrect. It's MASSIVELY more efficient. You can get far more ATP from fat than from glucose. The problem is that the oxidization process takes longer, so it's more suited for sustained activity instead of burst activity. Glucose can be oxidized extremely quickly for small amounts of ATP. It's quick but inefficient.

For anyone more interested in the topic, I highly recommend this video by Dr. Peter Attia and his meticulous self-experimentation. It talks about different metabolic pathways and how different diets can affect performance. I found it extremely interesting:

Peter Attia - An Advantaged Metabolic State: Human Performance, Resilience & Health

Cooter

you don't want to put yourself into a sustained hunger state for a long period of time. If you are hungry for an hour or two no problem. If you are hungry for like 4-12 hours, your body will compensate most likely going into preservation mode (i.e. used the increased appetite to store fat with some of what you are taking in)

basically when you are hungry, eat. If you are not hungry at breakfast don't worry about it. If you are hungry at breakfast you are probably much better off eating a breakfast.

bottom line is ALWAYS listen to your body. As long as you are properly cutting out quantities of sugars/grains/bad fats your body should on its own do an awesome job of hunger/satiation control.
I don't buy this. Your body has more than enough glycogen stored to prolong you for 4-12 hours. Preservation mode doesn't happen after only 10-20 hours of not eating. From my understanding that kicks in after 48 hours. Either way if what you say is true I must be some abnormal freak because I don't have a single calorie for 16 hours, go to the gym and lift heavy, and then only do I start eating. I've shredded 15 pounds of fat and very minimal muscle if any at all in the last 4 weeks with this eating pattern.

borghe

That's incorrect. It's MASSIVELY more efficient. You can get far more ATP from fat than from glucose. The problem is that the oxidization process takes longer, so it's more suited for sustained activity instead of burst activity. Glucose can be oxidized extremely quickly for small amounts of ATP. It's quick but inefficient.

oops. That's what I meant. You are right. Basically for any sort of high intensity metabolic training lasting say like 10-20 minutes carbs will serve you better than fat in that case.. efficient was the wrong word. :(

yeah, you basically have to eat to support your activity.. depending on what you do for activity. Going strict Paleo with no extra carbs... so probably ~100-120g per day, my performance basically stalled (but stayed). As soon as I upped my daily carbs (still under 200g) my performance gains shot through the roof in both strength and interval duration, etc.

I don't buy this. Your body has more than enough glycogen stored to prolong you for 4-12 hours. Preservation mode doesn't happen after only 10-20 hours of not eating. From my understanding that kicks in after 48 hours. Either way if what you say is true I must be some abnormal freak because I don't have a single calorie for 16 hours, go to the gym and lift heavy, and then only do I start eating. I've shredded 15 pounds of fat and very minimal muscle if any at all in the last 4 weeks with this eating pattern.

I wouldn't call you abnormal. I mean everybody is different. EVERYbody. I have friends who can't maintain even a minimal (100g>) carb load even WITH high activity.. and have other friends who will feel starving going like 4-5 hours without eating.

The big thing you said is that YOU feel fine. Which is exactly what I said. I didn't say "you can't go 16 hours without eating". I said you can't go HUNGRY for 16 hours.. if you are forcing yourself to not eat even though you are starving.. your body will compensate.. If you (as in your personally) go 16 hours without eating and feel fine, then clearly that's how your body works.

That's all I was saying. Everyone is different ultimately. Don't eat shit foods. Listen to your body. If everyone did this obesity would be extinct.

Cooter

oops. That's what I meant. You are right. Basically for any sort of high intensity metabolic training lasting say like 10-20 minutes carbs will serve you better than fat in that case.. efficient was the wrong word. :(

yeah, you basically have to eat to support your activity.. depending on what you do for activity. Going strict Paleo with no extra carbs... so probably ~100-120g per day, my performance basically stalled (but stayed). As soon as I upped my daily carbs (still under 200g) my performance gains shot through the roof in both strength and interval duration, etc.

I wouldn't call you abnormal. I mean everybody is different. EVERYbody. I have friends who can't maintain even a minimal (100g>) carb load even WITH high activity.. and have other friends who will feel starving going like 4-5 hours without eating.

The big thing you said is that YOU feel fine. Which is exactly what I said. I didn't say "you can't go 16 hours without eating". I said you can't go HUNGRY for 16 hours.. if you are forcing yourself to not eat even though you are starving.. your body will compensate.. If you (as in your personally) go 16 hours without eating and feel fine, then clearly that's how your body works.

That's all I was saying. Everyone is different ultimately.
Absolutely everyone is different. I agree. That being said, I get hungry. It's controllable. I just wait. I don't agree that being hungry is a bad state to be in. I actually think it is a positive for most people.

APF

I don't buy this. Your body has more than enough glycogen stored to prolong you for 4-12 hours
It's actually more like 24+ hours, depending on your activity levels. That's a reason why folks who do CKDs often do specialized depletion workouts--it's not something that you're going to just fall into under normal [strength] training circumstances.

You're not literally "starving" after a 16 hour fast. You're just hungry, because modern man is pampered.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

extremely low/keto carb dieters are zealots. Lower carb is good.

In other news, this is the kind of research that is problematic in nutrition:
Saturated fatty acids and type 2 diabetes: more evidence to re-invent dietary guidelines, look at the connections with major food industry corporations. Not saying that the science is bad, but there is a problem when major industry sponsorship becomes problematic ie dietary food guidelines, or school lunches.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

ok I'll post it
kEfWgup.jpg

Bowser

Saturated fatty acids and type 2 diabetes: more evidence to re-invent dietary guidelines, look at the connections with major food industry corporations. Not saying that the science is bad, but there is a problem when major industry sponsorship becomes problematic ie dietary food guidelines, or school lunches.

No need for the name calling. Different strokes for different folks. Clearly, it works for some people, and it doesn't for others.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Seriously, dude, you really need to stop with the generalizations and insults. Who in here is being a zealot?

Your attitude in these threads is extremely negative and toxic, like you're just trying to pick a fight and tell people they are dumb or something. Like only you and your preferred experts should be listened to in regards to these topics.

A Fish Aficionado

No need for the name calling. Different strokes for different folks. Clearly, it works for some people, and it doesn't for others.

I apologize, but the attitude is a bit extreme, especially users like Zefah who proclaim to be acknowledge on the subject, yet ignore any sort of criticism. Nutrition isn't a perfect science but the extreme and outlandish claims have to have extraordinary evidence backing it up.

Malvolio

Absolutely everyone is different. I agree. That being said, I get hungry. It's controllable. I just wait. I don't agree that being hungry is a bad state to be in. I actually think it is a positive for most people.

I agree. It wasn't until I did a three day fast and learned what it really feels like to be hungry that I was able to realize the slightly empty feeling in my stomach I get each day was not hunger, but just a mental trigger that I used to constantly react to. Now I feel I can comfortably eat until I'm full and know exactly when the next meal is needed and how much it should contain.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I apologize, but the attitude is a bit extreme, especially users like Zefah who proclaim to be acknowledge on the subject, yet ignore any sort of criticism.

That doesn't make sense. I'm not going to continue this because it will just derail the thread, but I don't "ignore criticism." The problem is that you have a tendency to find something you disagree with, drop an article from your preferred expert(s) that supports the argument you want to make, and expect that to be the end of the conversation. You then get all riled up when anyone (usually me) takes issue with one or more points made in that article as if your chosen expert must not be questioned. You'll then "bail out" of the thread with a snide comment about "armchair whatevers." It's no way to have a discussion, but I'm not even sure that's your goal.

Because it's like arguing with someone who is a Creationist. You can't simply ignore basic facts if it interrupts your worldview.

And yet you'll never be able to produce an example of this, because it has never happened. Have fun with the hyperbole, I guess.

A Fish Aficionado

That doesn't make sense. I'm not going to continue this because it will just derail the thread, but I don't "ignore criticism." The problem is that you have a tendency to find something you disagree with, drop an article from your preferred expert(s) that supports the argument you want to make, and expect that to be the end of the conversation. You then get all riled up when anyone (usually me) takes issue with one or more points made in that article as if your chosen expert must not be questioned. You'll then "bail out" of the thread with a snide comment about "armchair whatevers." It's no way to have a discussion, but I'm not even sure that's your goal.

Because it's like arguing with someone who is a Creationist. You can't simply ignore basic facts if it interrupts your worldview.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Aw jeezus fucking shit, can we stfu about this already and get back to work? No need to call people out

A Fish Aficionado

I agree. It wasn't until I did a three day fast and learned what it really feels like to be hungry that I was able to realize the slightly empty feeling in my stomach I get each day was not hunger, but just a mental trigger that I used to constantly react to. Now I feel I can comfortably eat until I'm full and know exactly when the next meal is needed and how much it should contain.

This is true. Different foods have levels of satiety and triggers. You could look at the GI index as an indicator of how blood sugar affects you. Diabetics are given the advice by dietitians to avoid starchy and carb loaded foods for that reason. Heavy carb loaded foods can give you much energy if you are using it, such as athletes, but for the layman, it makes you hungry after a little while.

And yet you'll never be able to produce an example of this, because it has never happened. Have fun with the hyperbole, I guess.

Your assertion that calories don't matter is one. And everyone who counts calories as a tool is wrong, is another. I can look at our post history if you want cited sources.

Hey guys, thanks for the OP.

So I used to be into working out and nutrition around 10 years ago, but back then I was trying to gain wait as I considered myself an ectomorph, anyways, I have let my self go pretty bad lately.

My ideal weight I think is 180 lbs, right now im sitting here at 215 lbs and I want do so something about it, I had enough and want to look good for my wedding which is in May next year.

Now my problem is that this is new territory for me, back in college I was used to making myself "gain weight shakes" using peanut butter, olive oil, weight, flax seeds,etc etc, as well as drinking a shit ton of milk and stuff.

Anyways, can someone recommend me a good meal plan for me, even if its just a sample, Im pretty sedentary now a days, sitting in a office 9 hours a day.

Im thinking with something like this:

Breakfast: 3 eggs, turkey ham
Snack: Nuts and fruit (Apple, grapes, etc)
Lunch: Rice, veggies and chicken (no crazy sauces), change rice with sweet potato once in a while
Snack: Greek Yogurt and more fruit?
Dinner: more eggs and ham, maybe cottage cheesee

I dont have any allergies or special requirements, as long as im not spending 2 hours a day in the kitchen every day.

Thanks GAF

NutritionGAF, if I'm looking into the idea of lowering my carb intake (~100 g a day), is there any science that backs the idea I should spread out those cards and/or eat them all at once? I am aware of intermittent fasting but haven't read into it thoroughly. I'm thinking of sticking with eggs/ham for breakfast on most days, then a lunch that is mostly fat/protein with maybe 20-30 g carbs, then roll in the rest of my carbs around dinner time in the form of vegetables/fruit/milk; I tend to lift right before dinner anyway. I'm just wondering, generally-speaking, if that rough allocation of carb consumption is reasonable or if I'm missing something important?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't fucking matter, but figured I'd check.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cmon, enough of that shit.

Hey guys, thanks for the OP.

So I used to be into working out and nutrition around 10 years ago, but back then I was trying to gain wait as I considered myself an ectomorph, anyways, I have let my self go pretty bad lately.

My ideal weight I think is 180 lbs, right now im sitting here at 215 lbs and I want do so something about it, I had enough and want to look good for my wedding which is in May next year.

Now my problem is that this is new territory for me, back in college I was used to making myself "gain weight shakes" using peanut butter, olive oil, weight, flax seeds,etc etc, as well as drinking a shit ton of milk and stuff.

Anyways, can someone recommend me a good meal plan for me, even if its just a sample, Im pretty sedentary now a days, sitting in a office 9 hours a day.

Im thinking with something like this:

Breakfast: 3 eggs, turkey ham
Snack: Nuts and fruit (Apple, grapes, etc)
Lunch: Rice, veggies and chicken (no crazy sauces), change rice with sweet potato once in a while
Snack: Greek Yogurt and more fruit?
Dinner: more eggs and ham, maybe cottage cheesee

I dont have any allergies or special requirements, as long as im not spending 2 hours a day in the kitchen every day.

Thanks GAF

It sounds like you've got a reasonable set in your diet there. Just watch how much you put in, weigh your food, track your calories, and it looks good to go. You MAY want to eliminate a couple of those sections and focus on 2 or 3 meals only that day, and make them larger.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Your assertion that calories don't matter is one.

No one (at least, I certainly am not) is disagreeing that the amount of food one consumes can have an effect on body weight and fat accumulation.

I disagree with the using calories as a measurement for tracking food intake. It's horribly, horribly flawed and promotes the idea that all calories are equal regardless of source and that we just need to focus on reducing a number. I firmly believe that the focus on calories is at least somewhat responsible for our obesity epidemic.

Top Bottom