• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces Geforce GTX 10 Series - GTX1080 - $599 - May 27th, GTX1070 = $379

There was one listed at the Philadelphia store near where I live. I think my order went through, woop woop.

On an unrelated note, I'll definitely be selling my 970 to help defray this impulse purchase. What's should I reasonably expect to get for mine (GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970 4GB G1 GAMING OC EDITION)?

Cool. In Dallas everything is still expensive. I'd expect like $200 or less for a 970.

ZOONAMI

Damn which location? There isn't anything close to being that good at my location.

There was one listed at the Philadelphia store near where I live. I think my order went through, woop woop.

On an unrelated note, I'll definitely be selling my 970 to help defray this impulse purchase. What's should I reasonably expect to get for mine (GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970 4GB G1 GAMING OC EDITION)?

They have brand new evga 980 ti ftw for $475 after rebate. Honestly not bad. Good evga step up option if someone wants a 980 ti now and a 1070 or 1080 later.

I don't trust open box because it was probably returned for not OCing well ;)

Harlequin

For anyone who doesn't understand German, he's basically saying that AMD were surprised by Pascal's clockspeeds and have decided to release Vega earlier than originally planned, more specifically in October at around the same time that BF1 is getting released. As for his source, he says that he cannot tell where he got this info from. So yeah, could be legit, could be total BS.

ACE 1991

They have brand new evga 980 ti ftw for $475 after rebate. Honestly not bad. Good evga step up option if someone wants a 980 ti now and a 1070 or 1080 later.

I don't trust open box because it was probably returned for not OCing well ;)

I have no interest in overclocking so it isn't a big issue for me. I would guess that someone bought the 980Ti and returned it after the Nvidia announcement.

Hasney

I have no interest in overclocking so it isn't a big issue for me. I would guess that someone bought the 980Ti and returned it after the Nvidia announcement.

I've asked the guy why he was selling his and it's because he doesn't see much of an SLI benefit. I'm happy with that, even if he's lying and it doesn't OC well, its already an EVGA supercharge OC, so I'll be happy I think!

Ozorov

For anyone who doesn't understand German, he's basically saying that AMD were surprised by Pascal's clockspeeds and have decided to release Vega earlier than originally planned, more specifically in October at around the same time that BF1 is getting released. As for his source, he says that he cannot tell where he got this info from. So yeah, could be legit, could be total BS.
3-6 months earlier? Is the cards even ready then aka is HBM2 ready? Amazing news if true

fred

Thanks for the translation!

Having the Vega 10 releasing before November is going to be the only thing that will change my mind about getting a 1080. Am getting a Rift in November so need to get myself a monster GPU before I get it.

ZOONAMI

They may rush it out of the door to compete, maybe go GDDR5 and have a HBM2 model later. Otherwise they have nothing for at least 6 months.

It's would be wise of them to do a gddr5x version ASAP, but I don't know how easy that is if the architecture is set up for hbm.

J-Rzez

This is turning into a god damned mess. Freaking AMD. I'm willing to wait until Oct for a competitive card, and especially a better card with HBM2. But this needs to be cleared up and confirmed by them fast. IIRC doesn't AMD get first dibs on HBM2 because they got some contract perk due to using HBM1 already?

But I'm not waiting until q2 next year for a card. My 780 is done for. Its dated and requires me to turn down the knobs to get acceptable frames. If Vega hits oct, ill wait, if not, ill get a 1080 or 1070 and then get something with hbm2 next year.

mephixto

Banned
3-6 months earlier? Is the cards even ready then aka is HBM2 ready? Amazing news if true

Amazing news? They are sending Polaris to die in June against the 1080/1070 if that's true.

Hope it's just a silly forum rumor, but it looks like they gonna get caught with the pants down again similar to what happened last year with the 980ti numbers.

You know AMD though. They may 'plan' to release early, around October, but they'll have to delay by 2-3 months as they're completely hopeless hitting targets.

x3sphere

The AMD rumor may make me hold out on first gen Pascal. But they should start sharing details on Vega soon if they want people to wait. If Polaris isn't competing with 1080 I don't see how staying quiet would help them. It might kill Fury sales, but they can't be good right now anyway.

The AMD rumor may make me hold out on first gen Pascal. But they should start sharing details on Vega soon if they want people to wait. If Polaris isn't competing with 1080 I don't see how staying quiet would help them.

I don't mean to sound negative, but when have AMD performance rumors actually turned how to be true?

FLAguy954

You know AMD though. They may 'plan' to release early, around October, but they'll have to delay by 2-3 months as they're completely hopeless hitting targets.

The only card in recent memory that was severely lttp were the Fury cards. Other than that, I don't recall AMD being lttp too often (but they do stumble out of the gate a lot ie Hawaii Blower coolers).

x3sphere

I don't mean to sound negative, but when have AMD performance rumors actually turned how to be true?

Not often, which is why they should come forward with details soon if there's any truth to this. I don't think staying quiet would help them

This is all assuming Polaris doesn't compete with 1080 as some rumors have suggested. If it does, I highly doubt they'll be so quick to replace it.

wachie

I don't think AMD switched Vega to GDDR5X overnight, these things usually don't work that way unless they happen to

1. Designed it from the start with a very flexible memory controller
(OR)
2. Happen to be very lucky and found that they can make Vega work with GDDR5X

grumble

wait. Vega? What happened to Polaris? Did I wake up this morning in the future?

Polaris is coming out in a couple months and is looking like a midrange high efficiency part. Think 970 or 980 with half the thermal and power, cheaper and smaller. The 1080 is a prestige card that will sell few units but generate hype. The 1070 is actually more of a threat to amd.

I'd also not get too hyped up in general... Wait for benchmarks! This is still pr time. The market does tend to buy nvidia versus AMD though even when the AMD card has been better, which it won't be in horsepower this time. By far. It's a way smaller chip.

What will be most interesting about this isn't the mega top end but the laptop cards. 14nm (or 16 with nvidia) is a GAMECHANGER for having decently powerful laptops that aren't six inches thick with a 20 minute battery life. That is where the market is, laptops are way higher volumes these days.

Vega is interesting because that will be the big chip with the crazy memory and should blow past the 1080. Volta will come later with the same and give vega a run for its money. Good time to be buying hardware in the next couple of years! Once vega and Volta launch things should slow down.

Xdrive05

You guys cracked me. Selling my 980 (non-TI) for $400 minimum in hopes of the 1070 being a nice improvement for about the same price.

What 1070 info/speculation do we have at this time? (long ass thread, is there a summary somewhere?) Thanks in advance.

ZOONAMI

You guys cracked me. Selling my 980 (non-TI) for $400 minimum in hopes of the 1070 being a nice improvement for about the same price.

What 1070 info/speculation do we have at this time? (long ass thread, is there a summary somewhere?) Thanks in advance.

Good luck with selling that 980 for $400

LQX

Ha, I tried to sell one weeks before the announcement for $350 and got no traction. $300 and under is your best bet unless you have a clueless friend/family member.

paskowitz

Yeah... I sold my 980 for $425 a year or so ago when the 980 Ti came out. I would expect closer to $300.

Xdrive05

Good luck with selling that 980 for $400

Already got an almost $400 bid from a reputable buyer, with three other bids placed in case someone else counters them. Fees will eat a good $50 from the profits though. :-/

Hopefully the 1070 really is under $400 retail.

Edit: Whoa, I think you folks are right and I got lucky with the bids received.

ZOONAMI

Already got an almost $400 bid from a reputable buyer, with three other bids placed in case someone else counters them. Fees will eat a good $50 from the profits though. :-/

Hopefully the 1070 really is under $400 retail.

Edit: Whoa, I think you folks are right and I got lucky with the bids received.

Yeah, they might think it's a 980 ti!

fred

I don't think AMD switched Vega to GDDR5X overnight, these things usually don't work that way unless they happen to

1. Designed it from the start with a very flexible memory controller
(OR)
2. Happen to be very lucky and found that they can make Vega work with GDDR5X

AMD won't be able to freely switch between GDDR5X and HBM2. HBM2 VRAM is completely different in how it interfaces with a GPU. GDDR5X and GDDR5 are easily interchangeable though, hence them being used in the 1080 and 1070.

wachie

AMD won't be able to freely switch between GDDR5X and HBM2. HBM2 VRAM is completely different in how it interfaces with a GPU. GDDR5X and GDDR5 are easily interchangeable though, hence them being used in the 1080 and 1070.
That's my point.

fred

If the GTX 1070 can run AAA games with High settings at 1440p/60fps I may opt for that.

But I doubt it will.

Can the 980Ti manage that..? If so then the 1070 won't be too far off I reckon.

Asynchronous compute is the only concern I have with the Pascal cards, NVidia have said that they've got it sorted but I'm not sure if they've had enough time to do so. Both the 1070 and 1080 are around a year late though so maybe they've had time to shoehorn them in..?

buRiVOC.png

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080

GTX 1080, $599, May 27th

GTX 1070, $379, June 10th
I just got the 980ti in March for VR. Is this a comparison for the 980ti? or just a 980? Is there a comparison pic for the 980ti?

Vitor711

Can the 980Ti manage that..? If so then the 1070 won't be too far off I reckon.

Asynchronous compute is the only concern I have with the Pascal cards, NVidia have said that they've got it sorted but I'm not sure if they've had enough time to do so. Both the 1070 and 1080 are around a year late though so maybe they've had time to shoehorn them in..?

Yes it can - not completely maxed out in every game but close enough.

My 980 is almost there but not quite (by about 20-30%) which is most of the performance difference between that model and the ti version.

If a 1070 is faster than a 980ti by 10% or so at least, then you don't have to worry at all.

Top Bottom