• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

Sinistral

I don't quite understand this assumption that the 1080Ti will be an especially attractive card. What are we basing this on? And if it does turn out to be hot stuff, why are we assuming that Nvidia won't jack the price up, as they have with these cards? It seems way too early to predict what's going to happen...

The x80TIs are usually the harvested dies from the Gx100 series of GPUs. Or the Teslas, Quadros, then Titans. This is where the real engineering resources are focused on as they offer the greatest margins from the professional market. The Gx104 of the x80s are historically mid-range chips. That's where my assumption is coming from.

You're right about pricing though. I expect nVidia to test the market with a $1200 USD Titan. Possibly an $800 1080Ti if they get away with this Founders Edition scheme, and if there's no competition.

Really, people said a 1080 wouldn't out perform a 980ti? I need to see this.

Yes , really.

Over and over again people kept saying (with a tone of great authority) that the 1080 was going to be below a 980ti performance wise, with a few guessing it would be above it.

Only a handful of people were saying it would be more powerful (my guess was either at 980ti level or slightly above depending on clockspeeds, as there were early rumors of nice clockspeed gains from ff+. I was expecting 1.3-1.5ghz based on the lower operating voltage for 16nmff+ ,but not frigging 1.7 and ocing to 2.1 lol).

What's worse is that most people were just speculating based on confirmation bias and not on specs or any kind of logical reasoning. Just some crap about 'these days you only get incremental 20 percent improvements every gen'

So while he may seem a bit obnoxious right now with his gloating, if you were in those old threads he has all the reason to be.

it's just a shame that the people who were so wrong despite being so confident now don't say a word about it :p

nubbe

I find your optimism unfounded.

You must remember the time when a new AAA game on PC was €40 or less. Now people don't bat their eyelids at €70.
No sane AIB company will forego risk-free €100 markup.

the AIB that sell their solution for $589 will sell more than those that sell for $689
prices always go below the MSRP shortly after the products enter the market

xkramz

Same for me, i'm on a 1080p TV and my GTX 980 OC will be more than enough for that, also AMD will soon announce their 14nm Polaris GPU and HBM2 memory on its way...to me it's not worth spending all those money(700 euro here) on a GTX 1080 right now, next year this card could already be obsolete
A 1080 will not be obsolete by next year stop being dramatic

Piggus

Watch the non FE cards cost no less than 699 as well.

The higher end OC cards maybe. But the rest? Naw. There's a lot of competition among the third parties. I'm sure at least some of them will want to launch closer to MSRP in order to draw more customers.

holygeesus

Banned
I'm a little concerned regarding the overclocking of the 1080, will it be possible to OC it the normal way, instead of going down adjusting the voltage route for Boost 3.0?
It sounds very time consuming and complicated.

I realise that OC utilities will add some kind of auto adjustment tool, but if for some reason they weren't very good at doing it, can you just apply the OC like we do now? And keep the same MHz speed at a constant?

You aren't going to be overclocking the founders edition or stock cooler version at all, judging by the temps and throttling of boost, unless you change the blower to a third party cooling system, or wait for 3rd party cards with better cooling included.

Kieli

You never need more than 3 buffers. Once you've finished rendering into one another will be outdated.

This is a 70%+ improvement though, looking at model -> same model.

I hesitate to compare 980 to 1080 when there is a fairly large price discrepancy.

980Ti vs. 1080 would be a much more apt comparison especially considering that a 1080 is actually more expensive than a 980Ti.

Tryxx

Well time to start looking to sell my 970. I want to game in 1440P badly, and the 1080 seems like the best bang for buck. On another topic, can anyone recommend me a good 1440P monitor specifically something 120hz or 144hz.

are they pivoting to make it more 'viable' to get a factory oc over doing it yourself? i'm going by that one review saying its harder to oc now

I'm a bit confused by the upset over the benchmark comparisons compared to a 980ti!? Surely 25-30% increase on performance is good right? I know I'll be taking that for 4K over the ti.

Phawx

A 1080 will not be obsolete by next year stop being dramatic

I think the point that is being made is, "why spend $700 now, when you can spend $700 a year from now and have double digit performance improvement between 1080 and HBM2 cards."

Also, we know AMD has to compete so a $550 card with HBM2 isn't completely out of the question.

But let's just say all HBM2 high-end will be $700. If the wait is going to be one year or less and you already have a 28nm GPU, it is wise to wait.

This may very well by my next upgrade. When is it actually available at retail?

May 27th

I'm a bit confused by the upset over the benchmark comparisons compared to a 980ti!? Surely 25-30% increase on performance is good right? I know I'll be taking that for 4K over the ti.

30% is good. It isn't good if you currently own a 980Ti. 980Ti's are going for ~$425 on eBay right now. So you are looking at $300 USD to upgrade. The $ to % doesn't make sense.

You aren't going to be overclocking the founders edition or stock cooler version at all, judging by the temps and throttling of boost, unless you change the blower to a third party cooling system, or wait for 3rd party cards with better cooling included.

How come though? All of these reviews are based on founders....and plenty seem to hit 200-250+ on the clock, and show 70-80 temp...?

Phawx

The distinction you're drawing here is OEM vs. the various offerings from other manufacturers, right?

An EVGA representative already confirmed they will only have Founder's Edition at launch. And every other mfr only lists FE for the 1080 series.

It'll be interesting to see when we'll see the first 599$ will actually hit, and what price will the average MSI/GB/Asus custom card end up. I think the 699$ will set a precedent for AIBs and they'll try to price theirs higher if possible.

What's worse is € prices are just terrible right now, and 789€ MSRP means over 800€ price over here, and even a 599$ card will translate eventually to 700€. That's way over my comfort line for Nvidia's second tier chip.

1070 and P10 is probably where it's at for most of us, and 980 Ti owners will probably wait for HBM2. Given the pricing of these things, I think it does make sense why AMD would go for a lower end release first.

Dave_6

Not sure what I'm going to do. Built my PC back in early '13 with a 3570K@4.4 and 8 gigs of RAM with the intention of leaving it hooked up to my plasma TV. I dropped that idea in 2014 when I bought a G1 970 and a 144hz 1080p monitor; I have loved this setup since. I'm now wanting a 1440p ultrawide G-Sync monitor and I know the 970 is going to have a hard time running most modern games with all the bells and whistles on one those monitors. As much as a 1080 looks enticing, I wonder if I need to upgrade the CPU, mobo and RAM first before jumping on another GPU.

I think the point that is being made is, "why spend $700 now, when you can spend $700 a year from now and have double digit performance improvement between 1080 and HBM2 cards."

But then we'd be a year away from the 1100 series, and you'd have the same predicament of whether to buy or wait. The longer you wait, the better the performance you'll get for your dollar, for sure, but if you continue to wait for future cards, you'll never end up buying anything!

"Rather obscure, however, is the hardware allocation for compute and graphics. In Maxwell GPUs each SMs from the driver in the compute or graphics mode had to be added. A mixture of both, as it will allow AMD's GCN architecture is not possible. A reallocation is possible only if this all GPU is stopped briefly - that are to be avoided for reasons of performance possible. Rather obscure, however, is the hardware allocation for compute and graphics. Pascal now allows in the form of GP104 that SMs at runtime, so without the complete GPU to stop, change their mode of operation: From Compute to graphics or vice versa. Nevertheless, the SMs must edit their currently running task to the end. The interruption, ie a preemption, although can be done much more fine-grained than before, but does not seem to be unlocked or to function in the driver. Nvidia speaks of pixel-level preemption for compute and graphics, the driver reports currently still the gröbstmögliche configuration "DMA Buffer", as well as other graphics chips do it. Intel Skylake-IGP can already Triangle-level graphics preemption and pixel-level preemption for Compute. Nvidia plans to offer on-site CUDA interface later even instruction-level preemption."

from pcgameshardware review

holygeesus

Banned
and probably not being tested more than during a 3 minute benchmark

Indeed. Again I've only really read Tom's review and it states 85c during a stress test at stock. It dips below it's base frequency during it, which is a pretty poor show really. If the card is being hobbled at stock settings you'd be nuts to buy this card instead of waiting for after-market solutions IMO. Loud, hot and under-performing under stress, and paying extra for the privilege? lol

This isn't true...

If you read the reviews several of them mention that the default fan profile is shit (as in it deliberately lets the temps skirt the throttle limit to keep noise to a minimum) and that setting a custom fan profile does a lot.

They also conclude that the limit they do reach is due to power limitations (single 8 pin and crappy power delivery on the card)

-The founders edition will oc just fine to the clockspeeds in these reviews

-It's much better to wait for an aftermarket cooler version anyhow as you'll be able to get the card with better power delivery (most importantly a 6+8 pin connectors, but obviously also a higher quality PCB) to allow for higher clocks but also because aftermarket coolers always shit all over the refernece blowers when it comes to noise and cooling performance.

Indeed. Again I've only really read Tom's review and it states 85c during a stress test at stock. It dips below it's base frequency during it, which is a pretty poor show really. If the card is being hobbled at stock settings you'd be nuts to buy this card instead of waiting for after-market solutions IMO. Loud, hot and under-performing under stress, and paying extra for the privilege? lol
that's what happens when you read tom's hardware

dr_rus

"Rather obscure, however, is the hardware allocation for compute and graphics. In Maxwell GPUs each SMs from the driver in the compute or graphics mode had to be added. A mixture of both, as it will allow AMD's GCN architecture is not possible. A reallocation is possible only if this all GPU is stopped briefly - that are to be avoided for reasons of performance possible. Rather obscure, however, is the hardware allocation for compute and graphics. Pascal now allows in the form of GP104 that SMs at runtime, so without the complete GPU to stop, change their mode of operation: From Compute to graphics or vice versa. Nevertheless, the SMs must edit their currently running task to the end. The interruption, ie a preemption, although can be done much more fine-grained than before, but does not seem to be unlocked or to function in the driver. Nvidia speaks of pixel-level preemption for compute and graphics, the driver reports currently still the gröbstmögliche configuration "DMA Buffer", as well as other graphics chips do it. Intel Skylake-IGP can already Triangle-level graphics preemption and pixel-level preemption for Compute. Nvidia plans to offer on-site CUDA interface later even instruction-level preemption."

from pcgameshardware review

This seems to be what Windows DWM is reporting, it's not the same pre-emption as in the GPU pipeline IIRC.

So looking at die size, as would be expected from 16nm transition the area is reduced and performance greatly increased.

980 is 398 mm²
980 Ti is 601 mm²
1080 is 314 mm²

So basically the die size of the 1080 is half that of the 980 Ti which puts the "modest" performance gains versus it in context. If nVidia plan a similar monster 600 mm² high end card, imagine the performance gains possible.

As a Titan X owner, its an easy decision to wait for the bigger die Ti since there is a huge potential for performance gains.

Surfinn

Wow, in some cases, there's an increase in performance of over double in comparison to a 980. Pretty damn impressive.. tempting.

Gunna wait for the next cards though.

Ryne

But then we'd be a year away from the 1100 series, and you'd have the same predicament of whether to buy or wait. The longer you wait, the better the performance you'll get for your dollar, for sure, but if you continue to wait for future cards, you'll never end up buying anything!

I'd just choose a line and stick to that upgrade cycle.

When I bought my 980Ti I told myself the next card I buy would be another Ti. For me jumping from Ti to Ti is worth it.

If you have the money, go for it. I just don't see the sense if you don't have the cash to jump from a 980Ti to 1080.

I hope that the 1080Ti is great (or that AMD pulls something out of their bag by then).

Phawx

This is the first dGPU on a new node. I'm not saying to wait forever, I'm saying to wait for HBM2.

J-Rzez

My 780 served me well. Those FPS jumps are incredible for my 144hz monitor. Guess i'll be buying one after all. Not buying the FE though. I'll wait for the AIB cards to hit with probable different power pin set ups and better cooling solutions. I don't care if they're the same price as the FE, though, if they were cheaper i wouldn't argue.

Kieli

Really, people said a 1080 wouldn't out perform a 980ti? I need to see this.

Agreed. I want to see posts being quoted. I need to see the receipts.

Because I'd to know in what universe it makes sense to sell a product that's $50 more expensive, 1 year later, and performs slower.

ISee

Not sure what I'm going to do. Built my PC back in early '13 with a 3570K@4.4 and 8 gigs of RAM with the intention of leaving it hooked up to my plasma TV. I dropped that idea in 2014 when I bought a G1 970 and a 144hz 1080p monitor; I have loved this setup since. I'm now wanting a 1440p ultrawide G-Sync monitor and I know the 970 is going to have a hard time running most modern games with all the bells and whistles on one those monitors. As much as a 1080 looks enticing, I wonder if I need to upgrade the CPU, mobo and RAM first before jumping on another GPU.

I was on a gtx 980 + i53570k (@4.3ghz) + 16gb ddr3 2400. At the moment I'm holding on to the 980 and upgraded the rest to a 6700k + 16gb ddr4 3000. After upgrading I did some testing (mostly for me) and noticed a huge performance boost and that's with just a 980! If you're aiming to get a 1080 upgrading your 3570k is a good idea.

witcher 3 - 3570k [4.3ghz] + 980 [OC]
witcher 3 - 6700k [4.3ghz] + 980 [OC]

GTA V - 3570k [4.3ghz] + 980 [OC]
GTA V - 6700k [4.3ghz] + 980 [OC]

Just Cause 3 - 3570k [4.3ghz] + 980 (OC)
Just Cause 3 - 6700k [4.3ghz] + 980 (OC)
Just Cause 3 - 6700k [4.3ghz] without HTT, so practically close to the 6600k + 980 (OC)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So people are still expecting the 1070 to be better than a 980 ti? I don't see it.

if 1070 has been confirmed to have 1920 cuda cores Vs 2560 on the 1080, that's 75% the number of cores. If it has 75% of the performance then it'd be at or slightly above 980ti

Top Bottom