• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

Durante

Did...
did Nvidia just reinvent actual triple buffering as "FastSync"? That's what it seems like to me reading the description.

I mean, don't get me wrong, being able to force it at the driver level will be nice, since most developers seem incapable of or unwilling to implement it (rather than just flip queues). But just call it what it is!

gtx-1080-steamvr-100661302-orig.png
The SteamVR benchmark fidelity maxes out at 11.

this is my salty face. sounds like the GPU equivalent of Valve's Reprojection or Oculus' Time Warp. And in fact, it's worse because it attempts to get support for a standard that would presumably be tied to Nvidia GPU's only.
That's not it at all. Simultaneous multi-projection is about using multiple different projection matrices and framebuffers for rendering at the same time, in order to better approximate the actual pixel distribution of the screen after optical transformation.

It has nothing to do with and is completely orthogonal to reprojection, and it's not something which older GPUs can do in hardware.

now really waiting to see what's the score avg on Octanebech. A single 970 scores 80, a Titan X scores 125. Hopping to see 150 on a single card. That's almost what I get on my two card setup.

Except that it's not true in this case. The GTX 1070 will already be able to accomplish faster than 60FPS at 1080P or downsampling, if you want that.

The GTX 1080 is truly meant for 1440P and higher.

You can't keep 120 fps in most AAA games at max settings with this. So how exactly is it overkill?

EDIT: Also, downsampling is just as taxing as playing at those resolutions. So I don't see how a weaker card would be good for downsampling.

Ugh, I hate it when people say that a card is overkill for 1080p. There is no such thing as a card being overkill for any resolution. 144 Hz, G-SYNC/FreeSync, downsampling, games getting higher requirements for max settings as time goes on, etc.

This exactly. The sentiment that a card is overkill for anything is so woefully shortsighted and lacking in perspective. I remember when everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, was saying the 980, and then the 980 Ti were overkill for 1080p. It baffled me then and it baffles me now. When CyberPunk 2077, or Star Citizen, or Mass Effect Andromeda, or more elaborate big budget VR games, or the next Crytek game, etc.. etc.. come out, I guarantee that these cards won't be overkill for anything.

Not sure I'm getting the big picture on Fast Sync, so it basically means that there's no need to force Vsync anymore in games, the graphics card will automatically render the accurate number of frames to reduce stuttering that can happen at higher framerates than the refresh rate of the monitor?

If I understood this correctly, the GPU renders as many frames per second as it can. This way all user inputs can be taken into acount which reduces input lag. When the display is ready the GPU outputs only the most recent frame without any tearing.

Edit:
Did...
did Nvidia just reinvent actual triple buffering as "FastSync"? That's what it seems like to me reading the description.

I mean, don't get me wrong, being able to force it at the driver level will be nice, since most developers seem incapable of or unwilling to implement it (rather than just flip queues). But just call it what it is!

Can you explain Fast Sync a bit more in depth? Is it something developers can already do?

I'm feeling like the Geforce 1080 is a half measure. Too much for 1080p not enough for 4k. Seems to be great if you want to do 1440p. But let's be real, 1440p is like so year 2014.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Why? It looks like the 1080 will cost about the same as a 980 Ti on launch and offers roughly the same performance as an overclocked 980 Ti (but is faster when overclocked). So basically I've been enjoying that kind of performance for a year now and have no need to upgrade until 1080 Ti hits the scene.

The only 980 Ti owners who would truly benefit from the 1080 are those who run 4K displays.
Read what you quoted. I was referring to people who bought a 980 Ti because they convinced themselves there'd be nothing better until "big Pascal" late 2016/early 2017. Not all 980 Ti owners.

Seems like the move for most (unless you just can't continue with your current GPU), is to wait for the 1080ti/Titan line, which will no doubt come within a year. The upgrade from HBM1 to HBM2 will be substantial.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i was always gonna wait for the 1080 ti because building a new PC right now is a bit too early. start of next year would suit me better. i was considering just sticking with my 1080p monitor but if this is what a 1080 can do then playing at 1080p with a 1080 Ti would just be a huge waste of power. looks like i'll upgrade to a 1440p 60hz monitor. i'm not sure if even a 1080 ti would handle 4k 60fps. it would get close but i doubt it'd be long before it starts struggling. i'll be more than happy to get a solid 1440p 60fps.

Lister

Banned
This exactly. The sentiment that a card is overkill for anything is so woefully shortsighted and lacking in perspective. I remember when everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, was saying the 980, and then the 980 Ti were overkill for 1080p. It baffled me then and it baffles me now. When CyberPunk 2077, or Star Citizen, or Mass Effect Andromeda, or more elaborate big budget VR games, or the next Crytek game, etc.. etc.. come out, I guarantee that these cards won't be overkill for anything.

Yeah, a 980 is already at a point where it can't keep 60 fps at max settings in some games. We'll end up there with the 1080 as well sooner or later.

Onemic

So it seems that even though its a reference card the 1080 can OC pretty well?

The OC 1080 benchmarks look amazing.

EDIT: nvm seems like they suck for sustained OC :(

Hasney

Yup. It's a moving target and will always be a moving target.

What always entertains me is the "4k/60fps/Max" crowd. The answer to "Does it run 4k/60fps/max?" is What game? Max isn't even a set target compared to the other ones as it's different for everything.

Dahaka

yep. features like NVIDIA HTFS in Division eat huge chunks of power@1080p.

Nzyme32

PC Per

Final Thoughts

NVIDIA has excited the PC gaming world with the release of Pascal and the GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card. It hits some critical points in the process of doing so. It’s the fastest GPU in the world. It’s the most power efficient GPU in the world. It could be among the best values in a high graphics card in years. It leaves me craving both the inevitable “big Pascal” card as well as the lower cost 1070/1060/1050 options coming later in the year. If you are PC gamer, regardless of your current GPU commitments, you WANT to see launches like this, ones that push the envelope and make competitors work harder to keep up. NVIDIA’s GP104 launch does exactly this.

Yes, show us the other cards!

Just a Little Question to our PC experts!

I am rocking a Mini ITX System:

Intel i5 6600 (the non K Version)
16 GB DDR 4 2133 (two 8 GB Sticks)
500 m.2 SSD
2 Fans (120mm, 92mm for CPU Cooling)
450 Watt SFX PSU from Silverstone (http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=319)

Now my question. Can i run the 1080 with my PSU?

Thanks!

Should be no problem. PSU is a full 444w with a 6+2 pin for the single 8 pin GTX 1080

GTX 1080 is 180w
6600 is 65W.

You'll be around 280-300W and 350W max from the wall.

Adry9

At $599 the 1080 seems like a great value, other than that, it stays around the same level of a 980/980Ti with current prices.

MI6EbAI.png

Valtýr

I got an older 600 series card, waiting to see what the 1070 benches look like. I assume it will be a substantial step up regardless.

gafneo

Banned
I would really like to see a Crysis type game for this era of PC gaming. C1 came out at the end of the origional xbox's life cycle. It is 2 gens later and Cysis1 is now something you can max out on a current gen console. We need a powerful game like that which takes advantage of the 1080 gtx. Playing console ports just doesn't justify all that power for me.

Not sure how I feel about this card. 20-30% increase over 980 ti is nice, but it's not quite enough for 60fps@4k on fully max settings, though it seems some slight tinkering and keeping the games mostly on the second highest settings will allow for 60fps.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the change to HBM2 should drastically help out 4k performance. I feel like big pascal would be the upgrade, assuming it comes out in less than a year ,as my understanding is Volta should start popping up sometime in 2018. I'll be pretty damned disappointed if big pascal doesn't allow for 60fps@4k with current games.

I feel like the 1070 will be the sweet point. If you can get 980ti performance at under $400, maybe even a nice overclocked custom card at under $450, that's a really good deal and could be a good intermediate upgrade for those who want to wait for big pascal for volta.

By the way, does anybody know when 6k and 8k monitors will start being mainstream? I think there are some 5k monitors out there, but even they seem to be rather scarce and don't seem to be getting much attention.

I think this is a solid upgrade, but still a tweener upgrade. The big question is how significant of an upgrade big pascal will be. Will the HBM2 be a huge game changer for 4k? Or will it just be another 25% increase over the 1080?

I'm really interested to see what AMD does. Is Polaris going to have a card that has 1070 performance, but a bit cheaper? If so, I think that'll be the major game changer.

It's hard to be too disappointed in this, I think it beat the expectations of many from a few months back.

A-V-B

Valtýr;203899305 said:
I got an older 600 series card, waiting to see what the 1070 benches look like. I assume it will be a substantial step up regardless.

Waiting for the same thing.

Hmmm, don't know who in their right mind would buy the $699 Founders Edition when the cooling and power delivery is so lackluster and also noisey, and not wait for the superior non-reference.

Some of the reviewers fear that $699 will be the baseline though of the non-ref cards too.

Barzul

Yeah for those looking for 4k @ 60fps, waiting for the 1080Ti is probably the best bet although I think this card wouldn't do too shabbily provided AA is turned off. Most of the reviews seem to have been done with it on. But I think the Ti version would provide more consistent performance.

S did any site manage to clock this thing up to 2GHz? Or is this not happening still non reference cards come out?

TechpowerUp overclocked from the 1898 MHz boost to 2114 MHz (11% overclock) for about 10% performance increase. Decent and performance scales well with overclock.

Maybe you should look up what a "generation" means and not just (x80) numbers. They're doing it for a reason.

Perhaps. But Nvidia has, in the past, tried to keep a relatively smooth improvement path in each of their product lines. With the 980Ti being cheaper than expected and the 1080 being more expensive, they seem to be blurring the lines somewhat.

Fishook

Buliding my new PC in a few months, I just want the next step up from 1080i as I just want a machine to have a bit of a wow factor when buying a new machine, So a 1080 it is a my current rig is a adequate gaming machine but getting a bit old for my liking.

Mrbob

Sounds good, this looks great for my Htpc. However not paying a 100 dollar early adopter nvidia tax for a card that isn't even bumped from spec. By the time the normal 1080 cards come out might just wait for the 1080 ti.

Top Bottom