• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

Bl@de

Hmmm, don't know who in their right mind would buy the $699 Founders Edition when the cooling and power delivery is so lackluster and also noisey, and not wait for the superior non-reference.

Some of the reviewers fear that $699 will be the baseline though of the non-ref cards too.

Exactly my thoughts. For me 699$ is the baseline until I'm proven wrong. If NVIDIA wants a premium tax so will the board partners. And if the cards aren't selling or Polaris offers something nice they will offer a "discount" in July/August.

ZOONAMI

At $599 the 1080 seems like a great value, other than that, it stays around the same level of a 980/980Ti with current prices.

MI6EbAI.png

Too bad it isn't $599.

Well, this settles that.

100% Selling this 980ti. Looking forward to the overclocked AIB solutions in June.

When you're on a resolution higher then 1440p you need all the performance you can get, and imo 4k is shit for gaming anyway, the only way is Ultrawide.

Why is 4k bad for gaming? Just wondering. I felt like I was getting caught up in the 4k hype recently.

Evo X

Hmmm... do I flip my Titan X now to maximize resale value and pick up a 1080 or wait for for Pascal Titan?

I game on a 1440p 144hz GSYNC monitor and HTC Vive if that helps.

Exactly my thoughts. For me 699$ is the baseline until I'm proven wrong. If NVIDIA wants a premium tax so will the board partners. And if the cards aren't selling or Polaris offers something nice they will offer a "discount" in July/August.
PCPer in their video review said they sole AIBs he has spoken with have said they will have $599 versions (probably not the versions you want to be).

I expect the AIBs to sit around $650ish after this founders launch nonsense dies down.

It's looking like a 1080ti may do what I hope and come close enough to 980ti SLI performance that I can return to a single card configuration without take a big hit in performance for games that support SLI.

Hitman not looking too great on anand and hardware.fr

LxQb.jpg

Haven't been following the game. Are we putting this down to just being an AMD sponsored game?

I expect to experience a whole new world when I buy this after using my GTX 670 for so long.

I'm in the same boat. The 670 has served me incredibly well for several years, but it's just about time to move on from the old chap.

I need to see how the 1070 fares before I make a decision.

Onemic

Im confused. From the reviews is the FE able to be overclocked to a stable 2000MHZ for everyday use, or is it just theoretical?

12-15% gain over stock for a ~22% OC

Is that common? Good?

hes not maintaining the clocks hes claiming. at least no other review is. power limits will bring you right back down. gonna have to wait for custom boards with more headroom. i suspect youll then more closely see perf gains matching oc %s

Im confused. From the reviews is the FE able to be overclocked to a stable 2000MHZ for everyday use, or is it just theoretical?

it cant hold those clockspeeds due to power limits. youll hit it briefly then come back down. temperature can also be an issue depending on whther or not your in a case or open platform. a lot of these reviews test on an open bed

riflen

The most interesting thing for me about the GP104 launch is what it means for the GP102/100. GTX 1080 + 40% is enticing.

Did no-one bench Crysis 3? Must be too trivial finally. RIP.

killroy87

Hey, so I'm a moron who doesn't really know how to read these reviews with any semblance of accuracy. Are we happy with how the 1080 is looking? I'm looking to upgrade my R9 290.

Luigiv

Meh? The performance is much better than expected! It has 36% average gains on the 980Ti.

GTX-1080-REVIEWS-89.jpg

GTX-1080-REVIEWS-90.jpg

Misleading

CuTfX0o.png

Misleading how? You're chart shows a the 1080 has 31.5% gain over the 980ti. Whilst that is a little less less than the 35%-36% gain Alexious's chart shows, it's also worth noting it's not an apples to apples comparison. Your chart is only 1080p whilst his is only 1440p and 4K (also neither of you show what software is being actually being benchmarked).

Hey, so I'm a moron who doesn't really know how to read these reviews with any semblance of accuracy. Are we happy with how the 1080 is looking? I'm looking to upgrade my R9 290.

its somewhat better than what the pessimists were expecting, and somewhat worse than what the optimists were expecting.

Custom cooler 1080ti or Vega will be my next card, the quality of Pascal evident in the 1080 makes me very excited for full fat Pascal with the Ti / X variant.

4k/60 will be almost guaranteed.

ZOONAMI

Misleading how? You're chart shows a the 1080 has 31.5% gain over the 980ti. Whilst that is a little less less than the 35%-36% gain Alexious's chart shows, it's also worth noting it's not an apples to apples comparison. Your chart is only 1080p whilst his is only 1440p and 4K (also neither of you actually show what software is being actually being benchmarked).

Looks like 24% to me. Tech power up has charts for other resolutions and they are all pretty similar.

Plasmid

I've had my 970 for a year. May dive into a 1080 at $499 or just wait for a 4k 60fps card to release in two years.

Any news on the 1070?

Valtýr;203899305 said:
I got an older 600 series card, waiting to see what the 1070 benches look like. I assume it will be a substantial step up regardless.

Same boat, the 1080 is a little bit too expensive for me in Europe imo :/

Vuze

Yeah, +1 for Quantum Break benches. Anywhere?

E: Nvm lol

Should be a somewhat decent experience with the upcoming Gsync patch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
it seems like a decent upgrade from a 980. If you have a 970, I'd guess you bought because of value for money, so the 1080 is nice to look at but out of many peoples' price range. Hopefully 1070 will be 50-60% faster than a 970, and the pricing in the UK not quite so insane as the 1080 FE

dr_rus

Looks like 24% to me. Tech power up has charts for other resolutions and they are all pretty similar.

They compute their percents differently. TPU's 100% is 1080 performance while HardOCP's 100% is the 980Ti's performance (and 980's/Fury's).

If 1080 is 100 fps then 75% of it's performance is 75 fps.
At the same time, 100-75=25, 75/25=3 or 33% of 75. So 75+33%=100 fps.

Holy shit at this card almost doubling the 970's performance. Really can't wait to see how the 1070 fares as that's more in my ideal price range.

I'm not convinced its handling DX12 efficiently reading a few reviews.
Think I'll sit back and wait see some more hands on reviews/AMD offering

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hmmm, don't know who in their right mind would buy the $699 Founders Edition when the cooling and power delivery is so lackluster and also noisey, and not wait for the superior non-reference.

Some of the reviewers fear that $699 will be the baseline though of the non-ref cards too.

the standard ones might be a bit lower, but Nvidia has basically handed everyone a free $100 buffer to play with for their factory OC/custom cooler cards. I don't think many will go over it (except for things like kingpin cards) but I don't think you'll see many cards at $599 for a while either.

Which all sours things a bit for me. It is an x80 card with nice performance improvements over the 980, but really its priced like a 980ti and there the performance difference makes it a little less attractive.

Luigiv

Lol I knew this was coming. Let's learn to maths together. To calculate a gain from the given numbers, we need to switch baseline so that the 980ti is 100% and the 1080 is a number bigger than that. So to do that: 100/76 * 100% gives us 131.5%, hence the 1080 is a 31.5% gain over the 980ti.

nubbe

Seems like OC in real world use is worthless on the reference cooler
The 1080 hits its temperature target by dropping the GPU's clock rate. During a gaming loop, it falls all the way down to its base frequency, leaving nothing left of GPU Boost. This gets even worse during our stress test, where the core clock dips below the 1607MHz that is supposed to be the GeForce GTX 1080’s floor.

vAxKsZM.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
any sites doing decent mid-resolution and/or VR benchmarks, rather than 4k? I'd like to see results for VR generally and also 3440x1440 res.

Top Bottom