• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

Schnozberry

Is it worth it to purchase this to replace my 980 Ti? I game at 3440x1440 resolution, so getting consistent 60 fps still is hard with a 980 Ti and newer games. 1080 seems to solve that problem.

If you aren't dependent on G-Sync, I'd wait until high end Polaris hits and hopefully forces some price competition. Then wait a little bit longer for the 1080ti.

I don't have an interim card though and my CPU doesn't have onboard video. If I sell the Titan X now, my PC would be out of commission for a month while I wait for a reasonably priced 1080.

Oh. Well damn that.

Or...yea, I can't condone that. I was gonna say, "maybe play on your consoles in the interim" but consoles are not a substitute for a PC given all the things PCs do for us beyond gaming. Never mind the games that you wouldn't have available to you.

What makes you believe otherwise?

The 1080 on reference is hitting 60 @ 4k with some games on high, an aftermarket with better cooling and a higher clock should be even better at hitting that point.

The Ti will hit it probably on almost all games for the next while, especially on high and maybe a few less on ultra.

If it comes with HBM2, higher clock and atleast 20-30℅ percent more than the 1080 then I can see it performing at 4k really well.

I already illustrated, in the post you quoted, what makes me believe otherwise. A lot of games are coming out between now and the 1080 Ti. And most of those games can be expected to be more demanding than any game out today. I would expect the 1080 Ti to hit a steady 4k/60fps in most all games out RIGHT NOW, but not in many games coming out in the next 3-4 years.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
To be honest I feel like the FE being priced at $700 gives validation for much higher prices on the premium AIB cards.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Gigabyte G1 (or equivalent) comes in at $700. If that ends up being the case, it dampens my enthusiasm a bit. A 25-30% over 980 Ti is more or less expected based on historical jumps, but we were paying $150-200 less for this type of improvement with the 580 -> 680. It makes sense though, without competition from AMD, NV has no real incentive to lower prices.

1080 is going to feel overpriced until the 1080ti comes out and it gets adjusted down. Right now there is no reason for Nvidia or partners to price lower, and it doesn't look like AMD will be releasing anything to change that.

Mookow

Can someone explain the GPU Boost 3.0 auto-OC bit to me? I've bought some SC versions of cards in the past, but does this mean I'll be able to load Precision X or MSI Afterburner, click a button, and it'll profile and OC my card for me without my intervention? I'm not much of a tinkerer so I'd like to have most of the work done for me. (Hence the SC cards in the past)

Galava

Well, didnt 980Ti came 8 months after 980 and made the 980 very very bad value?

If you wait 8 months you better wait 12 and pick up the 1180. Buy now or wait until Volta. Unless you have something similar to the 1080 (980ti sli), in that case, it might be not worth it for now.

Irobot82

1080 is going to feel overpriced until the 1080ti comes out and it gets adjusted down. Right now there is no reason for Nvidia or partners to price lower, and it doesn't look like AMD will be releasing anything to change that.

At least not until October according to the latest rumor.

If you wait 8 months you better wait 12 and pick up the 1180. Buy now or wait until Volta. Unless you have something similar to the 1080 (980ti sli), in that case, it might be not worth it for now.

What? There's no way the 1180 is coming out in May of 2017. This is really poor advice.

Damn good results. Was going to hold out, but this weekend, a Microcenter near me had a 4 hour fire sale on some of the 900-series cards and I had a little in-store credit to burn. Snagged a second 970 for about $160 after tax. I know you guys warned me, but the price was too low to not try it out at least. I figure I'll screw around with SLI and jump to the 10-series once non-Founders cards are out.

Adry9

And that's not a good thing. A new generation is supposed to bring significantly more performance per dollar.
Maybe the new 16 nm process just doesn't allow for more (we'll see how AMD will do). In that case it wouldn't be Nvidia's fault, but it wouldn't be any less disappointing either.

Yeah I agree with you, Nvidia is increasing they margin instead of giving more value to the consumer. I hope AMD manages to bring something good for $299.

Here we go. When it was rumored and I said it'd eclipse a 980Ti, everyone laughed. When I'm saying the announced 1080 will be brilliant, everyone tells me to stfu and wait.

Now we're here and everyone can eat crow. Sit in the corner and eat it.

Everyone is in awe of your brilliant brilliance. What's most amazing to me is your ability to predict that a new piece of technology is better than an old piece of technology. Based on that moment of greatness everyone, even people who had nothing to do with your imagined slights must pay their respects.

Vuze

Hm, I sorta expected the board partners were under some kind of NDA as well and hoped they'd show/announce their cards today. Doesn't seem to be the case, atleast I didn't pick up anything so far.

It really stands and falls with the partner card prices for me now. I will not pay north of 700€ for a x80 card but as some other people already stated, there is little incentive to go for like 650€ when people are paying more (they will) for a non-OC, semi-good cooled card.

But thinking about it, US MSRP for the FE was 699$... 789€.
So perhaps the 599$ MSRP base price will be 689€... add custom cooling etc to that and there probably won't be a 1080 below 700 bucks. This is just nuts in comparison to the 980 (540€ base).

Tagyhag

I'm waiting for the 1070 myself but damn this is looking good.

Single GPU 4K at 60fps for almost all games will be here way sooner than expected.

Hell, you can already do that with this card if you dial down settings.

What a lovely day.

hohoXD123

Everyone is in awe of your brilliant brilliance. What's most amazing to me is your ability to predict that a new piece of technology is better than an old piece of technology. Based on that moment of greatness everyone, even people who had nothing to do with your imagined slights must pay their respects.
He has a point though. I was under the assumption that new technology got progressively worse. He has truly opened my eyes with his prophecies.

Renekton

980Ti making 980 look bad because it was to out-compete Fury.

With absence of high-end competition from AMD polaris, I think this time Nvidia has more room to space out the card SMMs more appropriately between 1070, 1080 and 1080Ti.

Opinions please.

I game at 1440p and have a 780Ti SLI rig (4770k, 16gb RAM, G-Sync)

Considering replacing both of those cards with a single 1080.

Good idea / Bad idea ??

Grief.exe

Did Nvidia just skip two console generations?

Opinions please.

I game at 1440p and have a 780Ti SLI rig (4770k, 16gb RAM, G-Sync)

Considering replacing both of those cards with a single 1080.

Good idea / Bad idea ??

Stock 1080 is comparable to 980 SLI, or slightly below.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't really interested in upgrading my 980 until the 1080ti came out but now I'm probably going to pull the trigger after reading some of these reviews.

As far as I can tell, until someone explains the difference to me, FastSync is triple buffering.

It's almost triple buffering.

If you have vsync on, the pipeline of the GPU is back-pressured all the way back to the game engine, essentially the display is telling the game engine to slow down since only one frame can be generated for each display refresh period. As we know this eliminated stuttering but can cause higher latency.

When vsync is off the pipeline ignores display refresh rate and just pumps out frames as fast as possible. As we know this is less latency but causes screen tearing.

Normally for games the latency we talked about isn't an issue. But as more and more insane people have access to CS:GO and decide they want to play it at >100FPS it causes a problem. Do you hamper themselves with high latency? Or do you indure screen tearing.

Well look no further one and all since Nvidia has come to save the day. But before that, lets talk about the pipeline I was talking about earlier.

When a game is rendered its pipeline goes from

game engine -> driver (e.g.directx) -> GPU -> buffer(s) -> display

With the new GTX 1080 however they have decoupled the front end of the render pipeline from the backend display hardware. With this there is more ways to manipulate the display and fastsync is the first example of this. So now the pipeline has a slight seperation.

game engine -> driver (e.g.directx) -> GPU -> ||| -> buffer(s) -> display

So back to freesync. With this pipeline change we can allow the game engine to send all the frames is can develop to the GPU, then fastsync decides which of these frames to actually render. This is the best of both worlds since there is no back-pressure (hence low latency) and it also stops stuttering.

TL;DR

Vsync on tells game engine to slow down (higher latency and no stuttering)

Vsync off is lazy and just lets all frames through (lower latency and stuttering)

Fastsync allows the game engine to run as fast as possible and lets the GPU figure out which frame to output (low latency and no stuttering. )

Onemic

So is there any point in getting a FE 1080 vs a factory OC'd 980Ti? They same to be about tied with Gamespot's benchmarks(most of the other sites are only comparing stock 980Ti's) with the 1080 maybe being 1% faster.

LilJoka

Help me GAF I don't know if I can wait for the non-FE cards...

I bought a GTX 780 ref (£520).
About 15months later i sold it and got a MSI GAMER GTX 970 (£270).

I will never buy a ref cooler again. Its louder and has less overclock head room.

Papacheeks

Banned
I'm not going to lie at 700$ I'm not impressed with the numbers like at all. If AMD shows a 490 at computex as a surprise and at 400-500$ with R9 Fury benchmarks or better, nvidia is in trouble IMHO.

Or f the x480 itself get's close to R9 FURY numbers for 300$ or less that will be make the 1080 a hard pill to swallow for the high asking price.

ChuckNyce

Welp, gonna use my EVGA Step Up to upgrade my 980TI to a 1080. I'd otherwise be fine waiting for a 1080TI but being able to upgrade for under $100 is kind of a no brainer.

Lister

Banned
Not even close.. The last card they released (980 Ti) is 75% as fast as the GTX 1080. It's a nice jump but let's avoid the hyperbole.

Not even close to what? Both of you are tyring to compare this thing to non-existing hardware.

It certianly is almost three times as powerful as a PS4k will be though - from the little we know of that.

Renekton

I'm not going to lie at 700$ I'm not impressed with the numbers like at all. If AMD shows a 490 at computex as a surprise and at 400-500$ with R9 Fury benchmarks or better, nvidia is in trouble IMHO.

Or f the x480 itself get's close to R9 FURY numbers for 300$ or less that will be make the 1080 a hard pill to swallow for the high asking price.
I think it may be between 390X and Fury (non-X).

Still, 1080 having the performance crown will ensure it sells out for months.

jfoul

The 980 was always considered to be a very bad value. From day one.

Yeah, it was pretty bad. I have a GTX980 (EVGA Reference), but I bought it for $270 used from the Amazon Warehouse Deals fire sale awhile back.

Right now, I'm thinking about getting a GTX1070 if the performance is in between the 980ti & 1080. I don't really need it, but my wife could use the GTX980 trickle down upgrade. I also won't need something super powerful until I upgrade my home theater to 4K OLED & 7.2 A/V receiver with 4K/60 pass-through.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For sure, either get a 970 or the 980 ti.

When the 980 came out there wasn't a 980ti. And the 970 was clearly better value. And people still bought the 980.

I don't think Nvidia prices the 980/1080 for the mainstream enthusiasts - thats the 970x1070's job. They know high end enthusiasts will pay a premium for those few extra fps so they pump up the prices.

Then this time next year the 1080ti will come out at around the same price, the 980 will drop in price to where it should have been all along, and the 1080ti will be the premium - again not offering best bang for buck, but more the most buck they can get for the bang.

Not even close to what? Both of you are tyring to compare this thing to non-existing hardware.

It certianly is almost three times as powerful as a PS4k will be though - from the little we know of that.

When, ever in history, has a console outdated by two generations performed 75% as well as the latest system? Never. Hence "Not even close".

The original comparison made was confusing and (imo) pointless. I probably shouldn't have even commented on it.

But yes, it will be close to three times as powerful as the rumored NEO specs. But so is the 980 Ti.

Momentary

Banned
Looking back at the 980 and how closely the 970 performed against it, there is no way I'm going good to bite on this card. My hype has finally calmed dowm.

drexplora

Curious if waiting for a 1080ti makes sense!
There is usually a pretty nice perf gap between the reg and ti models!
Price will probably be an issue though with the 1080 being $600-700..
Well see how 3rd party vendors price their cards, im sure they'll ask for that extra $100 for their fancy coolers and factory OC's

Regardless I've got a 680gtx now so the 1080 is going to be an insane jump

holygeesus

Banned
What's the best course of action to make sure to get one of these babies within the first month?

Kinda depends on how good the 1070 is. If it's as close as the 980 was to the 970 I can't see there being massive shortages....the 1070 however will be a different story. It can't be as close this time round though surely?

I was really hoping for more information about custom releases alongside the review embargo. If a cooler, quieter, better-overclocking custom release is more than a month after, it'll be an excruciating wait.

Top Bottom