• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmm, Newegg said 4-7 days for international delivery but today marks a week since DHL picked up the package and the latest tracker update is still a few days old. I was hoping to receive it tomorrow, but Monday is looking far more likely.

Once I've actually received the card, I might kick up a bit of a fuss and see if I can get a refund on the ~AUD$40 I paid for shipping. Assuming it arrives on Monday, of course; tomorrow I'd be fine with.

Edit: Oh, wait, Monday is technically the seventh day. In that case, Tuesday I'd be okay with. Wednesday or later, not so much.

The package still hasn't reached the country. Bah. Bah, I say!

Compsiox

Banned
The MSi Armor is amazing. I'm so glad I didn't wait.

I get 60fps or higher in Ghost Recon everything Ultra 1440p. Temps hit 77 max and I'm at 1925 mHz.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I punched the graphics up to 4K for Dark Souls III, and then my PC shut off. I was riding the wattage use pretty close, but I think I've crossed that line. I bought a new PSU that should be here tomorrow but thats a bummer to have happen.

longdi

Banned
EVGA FE with 2600k @ 3.8

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12173211

Couple of flashes of artifacts.

Can't wait to put this thing under water alongside a water-cooled, OC'ed 7700k.
Is your FE able to run comfortable at 2ghz if you increase fan speed to say 60%?

Something about the >2ghz figure is OCD satisfying, even if the performance difference between 2ghz and 1.9ghz is 1-3fps more.

Thinking of going FE for a smaller fit. And FTw is still OOS. The other AIBs version are bigger and bulky.

Weevilone

Is your FE able to run comfortable at 2ghz if you increase fan speed to say 60%?

Something about the >2ghz figure is OCD satisfying, even if the performance difference between 2ghz and 1.9ghz is 1-3fps more.

Thinking of going FE for a smaller fit. And FTw is still OOS. The other AIBs version are bigger and bulky.

That is a slippery slope. What if your CPU will only do 4.9 and not 5Ghz?

Honestly I was all about the overclocking and 2GHz with my 1080. I cared for like a month, but have no idea what it was running since then. I just played games.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I wonder if any obscure places like Kmart or something would have stock. Places people wouldn't usually go to get PC parts.

I really don't shop at Costco but I've seen them have good stuff for cheaper than retail.

Zen Aku

So what is the best 3rd party 1080 TI right now? I haven't been keeping up with the news. I remember when the GTX 970 came out, the MSI and EVGA ones were the favorites. Ended up going with the MSI Twin Frozr one.

I wonder if any obscure places like Kmart or something would have stock. Places people wouldn't usually go to get PC parts.

I really don't shop at Costco but I've seen them have good stuff for cheaper than retail.

Costco can be a hidden goldmine sometimes. Just got my XB271HU monitor there today for $500 USD, that's $300 less than normal.

paskowitz

List of custom cards getting EK water blocks.

Graphics Card EK Water Block model Availability
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Early April ’17

ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Strix EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Strix Mid April ’17

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X EK-FC1080 GTX Ti TF6 Early May ’17

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Aorus EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Aorus Early May ’17

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 EK-FC1080 GTX Ti FTW Late May ’17

Lime

Could have sworn the G110 only supports the round coolers???

Corsair's HG10:
hg10_n980_08.png

hg10_n970_04.png

Haven't played around with Precision X yet so not sure. I'll report back tonight.

Still waiting on Corsair to make a HG10 for 1080/1080ti

Note that the HG10 N980 (and their customer service regarding it) was SO bad as to take me from a "Corsair every time" person to a "never ever again."

Their initial run was either incorrectly-designed or came with the wrong screws, depending on which CS person you spoke with. This issue actually bent the card enough to make installation into the PCI slot tough. Meanwhile, the bend also kept the cooling plate from touching the chip, so the card would immediately overheat.

After a week of the people on their forums alerting them to the issue, they stopped production to figure out the problem. CS said that they would ship out revised parts to those affected... but then shipped them to retail channels, leaving the initial purchasers to wait. After a month, I gave up on waiting and ordered the "new" version from Amazon: same issues. Never did get the replacement they were going to send.

That is a slippery slope

Oh yeah. I was so dedicated to getting my 980TIs to >1500MHz that I increased the voltage on them via the BIOS to squeeze out an extra 30 MHz. I hit my target, but they ran hot as fuck all the time.

I've since learned to be perfectly content with the 1480MHz I could get out of the box.

Pagusas

Elden Member
EVGA confirmed that the 1080 Ti FTW3 is 10.6 inches long, 5.064 inches tall. The published specs are correct.

Linky

Not to gloat or anything (but I'm going to!), but I was right :D

EVGA confirmed on their forum (after I posted about it) that the official measurements were wrong. The card is actually 11.37" long (288.798mm).

https://forums.evga.com/how-much-bigger-is-the-1080ti-ftw-3-compared-to-the-ftw-1080-m2639683.aspx

Here is an approximation of what it looks like compared to a Strix, basically the same size:

Compare2.jpg

So, PSA for anyone who bought a FTW3, make sure your case can support an 11.37" long card in it. My case will have about 1/2 an inch of clearance, but I'm still good with that :)

longdi

Banned
Good catch, no way a 3 fan setup takes up the same length as a FE card.

FTW is too long for my case. :(

I guess im set for FE or a Hybrid/Seahawk.

Lime

Note that the HG10 N980 (and their customer service regarding it) was SO bad as to take me from a "Corsair every time" person to a "never ever again."

Their initial run was either incorrectly-designed or came with the wrong screws, depending on which CS person you spoke with. This issue actually bent the card enough to make installation into the PCI slot tough. Meanwhile, the bend also kept the cooling plate from touching the chip, so the card would immediately overheat.

After a week of the people on their forums alerting them to the issue, they stopped production to figure out the problem. CS said that they would ship out revised parts to those affected... but then shipped them to retail channels, leaving the initial purchasers to wait. After a month, I gave up on waiting and ordered the "new" version from Amazon: same issues. Never did get the replacement they were going to send.

Thanks for this news, it makes me wary. Luckily Corsair has been incredibly nice to me with sending me accessories for free whenever I wanted, but maybe I should look elsewhere - I just don't know who sells water cooling brackets that support squared blocks besides Corsair.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Oh yeah. I was so dedicated to getting my 980TIs to >1500MHz that I increased the voltage on them via the BIOS to squeeze out an extra 30 MHz. I hit my target, but they ran hot as fuck all the time.

I've since learned to be perfectly content with the 1480MHz I could get out of the box.

Thats how i am with my i7 6700k. The thing scales horribly on voltage:

4.4ghz: 1.25v - 5 hours of OCCT = 63 degrees on water.
4.5ghz: 1.38v - 5 hours of OCCT = 78 degrees on water. (SERIOUSLY I've never seen such a huge vcore increase need for such a small jump, but she wont pass OCCT or Prime until 1.38)
4.6ghz: 1.42v!!!!!! = 83 degrees after 30 minutes!
4.7ghz: 1.44v!!!!!!!!! = 85 degrees after 15 minutes (I stopped the test)
4.8ghz: 1.45v just to boot into windows, will not pass even 5 seconds of a prime95 test.

I have never lost the cpu lottery that bad before lol.

I keep it at 4.5ghz just cause I cant stand the idea of 4.4. I hope to go my FTW3 or Strix will hit 2ghz, otherwise i'll be stressing out (such a stupid OCD thing)

Thanks for this news, it makes me wary. Luckily Corsair has been incredibly nice to me with sending me accessories for free whenever I wanted, but maybe I should look elsewhere - I just don't know who sells water cooling brackets that support squared blocks besides Corsair.

Yeah - I was in the same boat! I've used their coolers for awhile (and now have a h100i that sits languishing). I'm sure the other brackets have worked, since they seem to be very popular, but this one was a nightmare.

Weevilone

EVGA confirmed on their forum (after I posted about it) that the official measurements were wrong. The card is actually 11.37" long (288.798mm).

https://forums.evga.com/how-much-bigger-is-the-1080ti-ftw-3-compared-to-the-ftw-1080-m2639683.aspx

Here is an approximation of what it looks like compared to a Strix, basically the same size:

Compare2.jpg

So, PSA for anyone who bought a FTW3, make sure your case can support an 11.37" long card in it. My case will have about 1/2 an inch of clearance, but I'm still good with that :)

I just saw that and was coming to post. So weird that they all had it wrong.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Strix just showed up in our system, I should be able to get my hand on one of these within the next few weeks.

I hope.

reading the guru3d reviews, it seems like all of these aftermarket cards are going to be insane. They are showing both the Gaming X and Strix as keeping an overclocked, fully underload TI at under 70c (both hovering between 65-69c).

This is going to be amazing :D So glad I didnt jump on an FE

Compare2.jpg

glad I didn't pre-order this. it's too long for my case.

Top Bottom