• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Pagusas

Elden Member
Sold out while in my cart. I wasted vital seconds looking for my credit card before i could buy it.

Dude :( I thought once it was in your cart it holds that quantity. Glad I didnt overthink it and just ordered it (serious was nervous given I've never bought an MSI GPU, but i figured if i didnt like it the resale value will still be in the high $700's and I can wait for a FTW)

Weevilone

Dude :( I thought once it was in your cart it holds that quantity. Glad I didnt overthink it and just ordered it (serious was nervous given I've never bought an MSI GPU, but i figured if i didnt like it the resale value will still be in the high $700's and I can wait for a FTW)

Their products are usually solid, especially the GPUs. If you need support, they fall within the realm of normal (so between the bookends of EVGA and Asus). If you need a card swap it will probably take weeks, but they will take care of you.

The Dude

I wouldn't mind trying different gpus one day but man, evga has been so solid and hasn't given me any reasons to switch.

Not to gloat or anything (but I'm going to!), but I was right :D

EVGA confirmed on their forum (after I posted about it) that the official measurements were wrong. The card is actually 11.37" long (288.798mm).

https://forums.evga.com/how-much-bigger-is-the-1080ti-ftw-3-compared-to-the-ftw-1080-m2639683.aspx

Here is an approximation of what it looks like compared to a Strix, basically the same size:

Compare2.jpg

So, PSA for anyone who bought a FTW3, make sure your case can support an 11.37" long card in it. My case will have about 1/2 an inch of clearance, but I'm still good with that :)
My Define R5 will be fine. I think I have the top cage off anyways, which increases the size of the card you can put in.

Pagusas

Elden Member
All I need is this GPU before I can throw everything into this. It's collecting dust.

CLRojaI.jpg

I have the black version :) (well kinda, looks like I have the SX version for watercooling, where you have the normal non-water cooling version) Just waiting for the the new GPU :) Absolutely adore the case (though had to make some modifications).

Pagusas

Elden Member
What's the case?

Lian Li PC-05SX (the white one he posted is the regular S in white, the SX has additional space for a 240mm radiator). They have ITX, m-atx and ATX sizes, mine is an ITX size. I'll put glamor shots of mine up once my TI arrives. It is absolutly gorgious when the dark glass pannel is on it. Also they cost about $300-$500.

If you go for one, they are great, but keep a few things in mine:

1. They are probably the most pain in the ass cases to work in. Everything is screwed in with tiny scews, and its a tight fit for stuff (at least in the ITX version). The watercooling mounts are stupid and take up spaces that could be used (an extra 10mm of space for a rail mount instead of flush mounts to the top of the case.

2. If you use the case as a tower and use its stand, the stand requires the glass to be on. Thats annoying because its a juggling act to remove the glass and keep the thing from tipping over when you are working on it. The stand should be directly screwed into the case instead of through the glass.

3. The case heatsink support is very short, 85mm I believe. So you are very restricted on the HSF you can use (unless you water cool like I did).

Pagusas

Elden Member
She.

Thanks to whoever in the PC thread for recommending the case. I just wanted something different from the billions of people a fractal.

Thanks.

I think that was me lol, I'm the only one I know with the case in PC gaf and I've talked about it in the other thread many times.

One quick note, They've been having issues with the PCI-E riser cable in alot of these. In 16x Gen 3 mode some of them are failing to send a full signal and causing what appear to be GPU glitches or audio dropout. Watch for it. If it happens email them, they will send you out a new redesigned one instantly (the new one is ALOT better)

Lian Li PC-05SX (the white one he posted is the regular S in white, the SX has additional space for a 240mm radiator). They have ITX, m-atx and ATX sizes, mine is an ITX size. I'll put glamor shots of mine up once my TI arrives. It is absolutly gorgious when the dark glass pannel is on it. Also they cost about $300-$500.

1. They are probably the most pain in the ass cases to work in. Everything is screwed in with tiny scews, and its a tight fit for stuff (at least in the ITX version). The watercooling mounts are stupid and take up spaces that could be used (an extra 10mm of space for a rail mount instead of flush mounts to the top of the case.

2. If you use the case as a tower and use its stand, the stand requires the glass to be on. Thats annoying because its a juggling act to remove the glass and keep the thing from tipping over when you are working on it. The stand should be directly screwed into the case instead of through the glass.

3. The case heatsink support is very short, 85mm I believe. So you are very restricted on the HSF you can use (unless you water cool like I did).

I try to stay away from Lian Li cases as they always give me issues. I'm just running my stuff in a corsair 740 and its the easiest case i have ever used and practically fits everything. Its ugly as butt though.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I try to stay away from Lian Li cases as they always give me issues. I'm just running my stuff in a corsair 740 and its the easiest case i have ever used and practically fits everything. Its ugly as butt though.

Lol, they are indeed pains! But beaty is pain.

Seriously though, this case is like the hardest and most inconvenient case of all PC cases. stay far away unless you enjoy the challenge. But boy is it pretty, especially if you wall mount it.

jaaz

Holding out for the Asus Strix OC. My Asus Strix 980 TI has been the best card I've ever owned and the reviews on the 1080 TI I've read are phenomenal.

What's the best place to order the Asus when it becomes available? I'd like to order through Amazon if possible.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
People are seriously sniping. Saw the armor in stock, added to cart and as soon as I did it says out of stock. Before the weekend is over if I don't get any custom ones I may have to go founders.

RC0101

Just got the Armor in the mail yesterday and so far I'm impressed. I only had time to play for a little bit and during that time I couldn't hear the fans and the card stayed cool. I'm excited to play some games this weekend.

Pagusas

Elden Member
People are seriously sniping. Saw the armor in stock, added to cart and as soon as I did it says out of stock. Before the weekend is over if I don't get any custom ones I may have to go founders.

That's how it was with the MSI Gaming X on Newegg. Soon as I bought it I posted about it, all within 2 minutes. Soon as I posted about it was out of stock.

I got super lucky because I saw it post to the site before it was "officially" suppose to go I think, given that it was pure accident I was randomly refreshing the page, it showed up, I clicked add to cart, thought about it for 2 seconds, refreshed the page and it had disappeared, but I still had the item in the cart. Went trough and placed the ordered, looked back and couldn't find it via search again. So I took the link from my order history page and posted it to gaf for you guys. Clicked it again and it was sold out lol

So it's absurdly over-priced, difficult to work with and the stand requires the window to be on?

Then...why buy it?

Thermaltake P3/P5/P7 seems a much better deal and just as good a case that isn't a PIA to work in.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So it's absurdly over-priced, difficult to work with and the stand requires the window to be on?

Then...why buy it?

Thermaltake P3/P5/P7 seems a much better deal and just as good a case that isn't a PIA to work in.

Cause it's pretty! And I like challenges. And it's the perfect size and shape for my home theater

I'll cancel my EVGA order but only for an Amazon order. If I'm going to go with a less customer service friendly manufacturer, I at least want Amazon customer service to back it up at least for the return window. I also get 5% rewards on my CC at Amazon.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I was actually considering the Lian Li desk thing but it holds two systems. I only need one and I already have a nice desk and ordered other furniture to complement my new build.

They work fast. You have no idea how happy I am. :) Now I can relax for the weekend instead of sitting here trying to get my hands on one.

9VStxRH.png

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I was going to be butthurt if my order didn't go in. Was using firefox and everything I clicked on secure checkout it kept bringing me back to the shopping cart page. I switched to Chrome and everything went in.

Got mine !! A Gigabyte FE, for a nice bonus discount !

Now to sell the 980ti to alleviate the wallet burn.

How much do you think you can get for it? I would like to sell mine as well. Also, what's the best place to sell it?

For others here. I ordered the evga ftw3, what's the major difference b/t that and the strix?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So the Australian dripfeed of cards seems to be Founders -> Asus Strix OC -> ???

Top Bottom