• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA Helping Sony with PS3 GPU

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and NVIDIA Announce Joint GPU Development for SCEI's Next-Generation Computer Entertainment System
Tuesday December 7, 3:11 am ET

TOKYO and SANTA CLARA, Calif., Dec. 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) and NVIDIA Corporation (Nasdaq: NVDA - News) today announced that the companies have been collaborating on bringing advanced graphics technology and computer entertainment technology to SCEI's highly anticipated next-generation computer entertainment system. Both companies are jointly developing a custom graphics processing unit (GPU) incorporating NVIDIA's next-generation GeForce(TM) and SCEI's system solutions for next-generation computer entertainment systems featuring the Cell* processor.
(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20020613/NVDALOGO http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20041207/SFTU096 )
This collaboration is made under a broad, multi-year, royalty-bearing agreement. The powerful custom GPU will be the graphics and image processing foundation for a broad range of applications from computer entertainment to broadband applications. The agreement will encompass future Sony digital consumer electronics products.

"In the future, the experience of computer entertainment systems and broadband-ready PCs will be fused together to generate and transfer multi-streams of rich content simultaneously. In this sense, we have found the best way to integrate the state-of-the-art technologies from NVIDIA and SCEI," said Ken Kutaragi, executive deputy president and COO, Sony Corporation, and president and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "Our collaboration includes not only the chip development but also a variety of graphics development tools and middleware, essential for efficient content creation."

"We are thrilled to partner with Sony Computer Entertainment to build what will certainly be one of the most important computer entertainment and digital media platforms of the twenty-first century," added Jen-Hsun Huang, president and CEO, NVIDIA. "Over the past two years NVIDIA has worked closely with Sony Computer Entertainment on their next-generation computer entertainment system. In parallel, we have been designing our next-generation GeForce GPU. The combination of the revolutionary Cell processor and NVIDIA's graphics technologies will enable the creation of breathtaking imagery that will surprise and captivate consumers."

The custom GPU will be manufactured at Sony Group's Nagasaki Fab2 as well as OTSS (joint fabrication facility of Toshiba and Sony).

Note:

"Cell" is the code-name for an advanced microprocessor under development by IBM, Toshiba and Sony Group.
About Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Recognized as the global leader and company responsible for the progression of consumer-based computer entertainment, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) manufacturers, distributes and markets the PlayStation® game console and PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system. PlayStation has revolutionized home entertainment by introducing advanced 3D graphic processing, and PlayStation 2 further enhances the PlayStation legacy as the core of home networked entertainment. SCEI, along with its subsidiary divisions Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc., Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd., and Sony Computer Entertainment Korea Inc. develops, publishes, markets and distributes software, and manages the third party licensing programs for these two platforms in the respective markets worldwide. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. is an independent business unit of the Sony Group.

About NVIDIA

NVIDIA Corporation is a worldwide leader in graphics and digital media processors. The Company's products enhance the end-user experience on consumer and professional computing devices. NVIDIA graphics processing units (GPUs), media and communications processors (MCPs), and wireless media processors (WMPs) have broad market reach and are incorporated into a variety of platforms, including consumer and enterprise PCs, notebooks, workstations, PDAs, mobile phones, and video game consoles. NVIDIA is headquartered in Santa Clara, California and employs more than 2,000 people worldwide. For more information, visit the Company's Web site at www.nvidia.com.

Certain statements in this press release including, but not limited to, statements as to the development of the custom GPU, the benefits of the collaboration, the benefits, uses, and capabilities of the custom GPU and computer entertainment systems featuring the Cell processor, the fusion of computer entertainment systems and broadband systems, the agreement between the parties, and the manufacture of the custom GPU are forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause results to be materially different than expectations. Such risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to whether SCEI and NVIDIA continue the collaboration, whether SCEI continues to use the NVIDIA custom GPU as the foundation for a broad range of its applications, market acceptance of SCEI's next-generation computer entertainment system,, market acceptance of new products and technology, delays in ramping new products into production, manufacturing delays and defects, incompatibility of technologies, reliance on third-party manufacturers, general industry trends including cyclical trends in the semiconductor market, delays in integration of our products, the impact of competitive products and pricing alternatives, and other risks detailed from time to time in the NVIDIA reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission including its Form 10-Q for the quarter ended October 24, 2004. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date hereof. NVIDIA disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.

NOTE: All company and/or product names may be trade names, trademarks and/or registered trademarks of the respective owners with which they are associated. Features, pricing, availability, and specifications are subject to change without notice.

thorns

Banned
wtf??? wasn't ps3 supposed to use cell for everything? why do they need a gpu now?
edit: this is huge news.. if anybody can match ATI it's Nvidia. Can't wait to see how PS3 is going to be like.

Pug

As I've said all along, Graphically all the next gen machines will be practically the same. Now MS reasons for releasing late 2005 make a lot more sense.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jesus.

Well I take it all back. Seems like Sony don't want to reinvent the wheel, and all three next-gen consoles will be using PC evolution parts. I'm sure there will be significant customisation, but surely this is a backward step for Sony?

Count me disappointed.

if anybody can match ATI it's Nvidia.
Sure, but it wasn't about trying to match ATI. I would have expected Sony to beat any PC based GPU solution, as they did with the PS2 (at the time). Now for some odd reason they seem happy to go with the flow? Seems odd to spend billions developing a revolutionary CPU then bolt on a genericish PC GPU part.

Rhindle

Well, that's good news I suppose.

But it's kind of late in the day to be redesigning a core component like the GPU. Sony is reaqlly going to be left scrambling over the next year.

seanoff

Cell based PC graphics cards!!!!!

at least 2 Cells per PS3

The combination of the revolutionary Cell processor and NVIDIA's graphics technologies will enable the creation of breathtaking imagery that will surprise and captivate consumers."

seanoff

Rhindle

"Over the past two years NVIDIA has worked closely with Sony Computer Entertainment on their next-generation computer entertainment system. In parallel, we have been designing our next-generation GeForce GPU.

Rhindle said:

But it's kind of late in the day to be redesigning a core component like the GPU. Sony is reaqlly going to be left scrambling over the next year.

Is it late though? According to the press release Sony and Nvidia have been working together on this for two years. That's a pretty big secret to keep for two years to say the least.

"Over the past two years NVIDIA has worked closely with Sony Computer Entertainment on their next-generation computer entertainment system.

Pug

Yes the suprise is how they are exactly the same across the board Seanoff. Thats classic Sony PR bull

thorns

Banned
Rhindle said:

"Over the past two years NVIDIA has worked closely with Sony Computer Entertainment on their next-generation computer entertainment system. In parallel, we have been designing our next-generation GeForce GPU.

a secret REALLY well kept indeed. Amazing!
explains why Nvidia canned NV50 also, I guess.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Rhindle said:

Redesign? How so? It looks like a "secret" collaboration made public to me.

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) and NVIDIA Corporation (Nasdaq: NVDA - News) today announced that the companies have been collaborating

"Over the past two years NVIDIA has worked closely with Sony Computer Entertainment on their next-generation computer entertainment system. In parallel, we have been designing our next-generation GeForce GPU. The combination of the revolutionary Cell processor and NVIDIA's graphics technologies will enable the creation of breathtaking imagery that will surprise and captivate consumers."

EDIT: Damn, too slow >_<

Rorschach

So...Sony will work with NVidia; ATI will work with MS...what happens to Nintendo?

Btw- if it's two years, I wonder who dumped whom in the NVidia/MS fallout.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
So what's what they've been doing all this time. Color me impressed (sorry I've been trying to use hokey phrases more often).

acklame

Wow, they've been working on this for two years. Does this have anything to do wtih Nvidia relationship going sour with M$ and the supposed cancellation of NV50? :p

also

"Our collaboration includes not only the chip development but also a variety of graphics development tools and middleware, essential for efficient content creation."
So Nvidia will also help develope middleware?

Rhindle

PartlyCloudlike said:
Is it late though? According to the press release Sony and Nvidia have been working together on this for two years. That's a pretty big secret to keep for two years to say the least.
Yeah, I don't buy the two-year comment. Maybe they've been having discussions for two years or sharing technical information -- but doing a full-scale chip design project in secrecy, at Nvidia of all places -- not very likely. With the Xbox design win, their people started trading on the information within days -- and they ended up getting slammed with insider trading charges.

Kseutron

thorns said:
wtf??? wasn't ps3 supposed to use cell for everything? why do they need a gpu now?
edit: this is huge news.. if anybody can match ATI it's Nvidia. Can't wait to see how PS3 is going to be like.

well this might be the Bad news

the ps3 is gonna be available one year later just to "match" the xenon ? if so, sony is so d00m3d

clearly, it's gonna be on par with the xbox2, but not much more powerfull

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
FOR THE LAZY

"In the future, the experience of computer entertainment systems and broadband-ready PCs will be fused together to generate and transfer multi-streams of rich content simultaneously. In this sense, we have found the best way to integrate the state-of-the-art technologies from NVIDIA and SCEI," said Ken Kutaragi, executive deputy president and COO, Sony Corporation, and president and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "Our collaboration includes not only the chip development but also a variety of graphics development tools and middleware, essential for efficient content creation."

"We are thrilled to partner with Sony Computer Entertainment to build what will certainly be one of the most important computer entertainment and digital media platforms of the twenty-first century," added Jen-Hsun Huang, president and CEO, NVIDIA. "Over the past two years NVIDIA has worked closely with Sony Computer Entertainment on their next-generation computer entertainment system. In parallel, we have been designing our next-generation GeForce GPU. The combination of the revolutionary Cell processor and NVIDIA's graphics technologies will enable the creation of breathtaking imagery that will surprise and captivate consumers."

Nvidia developing the middleware and the fact that they've been working on this for the past two years is awesome news.

seanoff

Seriously we need members who can read.

Short synopsis for those that cannot.

Sony and Nvidia have been working together for 2 years.

The GPU is a CELL with Nvidia helping on the middleware and graphics functions,

Nvidia GPUs will be CELL

GOT IT

Pug

ourumov, what makes you think the NVIDIA GPU in the PS3 will be anymore capable of producing real-time GC graphics than that of the ATI card in the XB2. As for the 2 years statement that means 1 year sitting round the table lashing out contracts and such like. Seems to me that all machines will graphically look virtually the same. Which puts MS early release in the west in perspective. What ever way you colour it all machine are using PC graphics technology next gen

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Super-tinfoil beanie conspiracy theory time:

NV48 & NV50 cancelled due to success in prototyping a Cell-based Geforce chipset, to be unveiled at a later date. ATI heard to be vomiting profusely in the corporate washroom upon receiving the news.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kseutron said:
well this might be the Bad news

the ps3 is gonna be available one year later just to "match" the xenon ? if so, sony is so d00m3d

clearly, it's gonna be on par with the xbox2, but not much more powerfull

Do people actually read PRs?

Both companies are jointly developing a custom graphics processing unit (GPU) incorporating NVIDIA's next-generation GeForce(TM) and SCEI's system solutions for next-generation computer entertainment systems featuring the Cell* processor.

and also

The custom GPU will be manufactured at Sony Group's Nagasaki Fab2 as well as OTSS (joint fabrication facility of Toshiba and Sony).

acklame

Freeburn said:
Super-tinfoil beanie conspiracy theory time:

NV48 & NV50 cancelled due to success in prototyping a Cell-based Geforce chipset, to be unveiled at a later date. ATI heard to be vomiting profusely in the corporate washroom upon receiving the news.

:lol

Pug

TTP that quote doesn't say that the GPU will be cell based, it says it will feature in a machine containing the Cell technology. Mind I'd better stop here because I have no idea about this technical stuff.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'm excited to see what Nvidia brings to the table from what they've learned an worked with while doing a venture with Sony.

Freeburn's idea sound like it could definitely be plausible.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Pug said:
As I've said all along, Graphically all the next gen machines will be practically the same. Now MS reasons for releasing late 2005 make a lot more sense.

Ehh, there's nothing in the article that even suggests that. The simple fact is that the hardware that is released latest will be the most powerful.

Something tells me that you wouldn't consider this generation's group of consoles to be "practically the same" graphically.

Anyway, here's the NV50 canning article from last week:

WE ARE told that Nvidia's next gen chip NV50 has been canned as well as the NV48 chip we reported on earlier in the week. I guess both were not fitting well into Nvidia's picture.
We don’t have any idea as yet what lead to such a decision, but Nvidia does apparently think it's now time to make its next breakthrough chip.

All we know is that Nvidia made a huge u-turn or a right turn in its roadmap as Intel describes it, and we don’t yet know where that leads.

We also know that Nvidia is very dedicated to win the graphic fight and to move away from the deadly embrace with ATI. In the current generation, it's not important what you get as both Nvidia and ATI cards are performing almost identically.

Nvidia still strongly believes that SLI is something that will become very important in the future.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Pug said:
TTP that quote doesn't say that the GPU will be cell based, it says it will feature in a machine containing the Cell technology. Mind I'd better stop here because I have no idea about this technical stuff.

Actually to me it reads more like the "custom graphics processing unit (GPU)" (note: not a generic "next-gen system") will "incorporate" both the technologies in some way. But yeah, I dunno shit about how this stuff works either :)

McFly

We will see a partialy cell based Nvidia gfx card in 2006, that's the big news. I'm pretty sure about that.

Fredi

thorns

Banned
seanoff said:
Seriously we need members who can read.

Short synopsis for those that cannot.

Sony and Nvidia have been working together for 2 years.

The GPU is a CELL with Nvidia helping on the middleware and graphics functions,

Nvidia GPUs will be CELL

GOT IT

doesn't say anything about GPU being CELL. CELL is patented and owned by Sony and IBM. Opening up that to NVIDIA would mean some licensing deals also and IBM would also have to be involved. It sounds more like a custom graphics chip solution to me.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
It's been speculated that Sony would team up with Nvidia ever since Jen-Hsun called PS3 a "miracle machine". This news hardly comes completely out of the blue.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
McFly said:
We will see a partialy cell based Nvidia gfx card in 2006, that's the big news. I'm pretty sure about that.

Fredi

That's what this PR leads me to believe indeed.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
The GPU will be a customized GeForce just the NV2A was. The press release says nothing about it being cell based nor makes as much as the slightest hint that it will.

EekTheKat

It's worded oddly, but I'm also reading it also as a custom GPU "incorporating" Geforce Tech and "SCEI's system solutions for next-generation computer entertainment systems".

"SCEI's system solutions for next-generation computer entertainment systems" which features the Cell processor.

Both companies are jointly developing a custom graphics processing unit (GPU) incorporating NVIDIA's next-generation GeForce(TM) and SCEI's system solutions for next-generation computer entertainment systems featuring the Cell* processor.

Top Bottom