• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA Helping Sony with PS3 GPU

EekTheKat

The curveball in this news is really the whole "Oh yeah, and we've been working on our next gen GeForce tech too" tacked on to the "we've been working with sony for 2 years" bit.

Granted I guess it's a way to reassure people they're not abandoning the PC market altogether, but just tossing it in here just makes you wonder a lot about what's really going on.

It's like the cherry on top of this speculation sundae.

cybamerc, like I said...middle of the road. Some of the capabilities of their consoles were far better than the competition, but there were other more sorely lacking ones in there, as well. Of course, everyone has to compromise something to raise something else...Nintendo just seems to do it more extremely.

SNES...slow CPU and lacking in overall sprite capability compared to Genesis.

N64...little RAM...cartridge format when everyone else went for optical disc.

GC...limited media format than competitors...less capable in many graphical areas than XBOX.

Not saying they suck, but rather, that Ninty seems to make more compromises in their hardware's capability for one reason or another compared to their competitors. Lately, it seems that they are trying hard to push hardware innovation over general capability. Rev. might be the same as DS, in this respect.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
cybamerc said:
It's been speculated that Sony would team up with Nvidia ever since Jen-Hsun called PS3 a "miracle machine". This news hardly comes completely out of the blue.

yeah i don't get the people saying it's a big surprise. That comment from NVidia was a real giver.

And MrSingh announced it 3 days ago on THIS board ;)

edit :

Playstation 3

29/08/2003
By: TVG Staff

nVidia For PS3???

CNN alleges that Sony and nVidia are in talks to provide graphics technology for the Playstation3; we round up the facts...

http://www.totalvideogames.com/pages/articles/index.php?article_id=4594

CNN WINS

edit2

I can't find a real website, only usenet

Sprite Scaler Aug 12 2003, 3:08 pm show options

http://www.visualwebcaster.com/event.asp?id=12272

go to the 24 min mark, start listening there.

Nvidia's CEO talks about the uncertainty of building XB2 because of
all the resources it will take. how only a few companies have the
critical mass (in engineering) and expertise to build consoles on the
level of what is coming next-gen. Nvidia, he says, is on good terms
with all three console makers

(Nintendo and Nvidia working together seem most unlikely though, imho)

He talks about PS3 and CELL, that PS3 technology is
"pretty intimidating" and that its gonna be a "miracle machine".
A major hint about NVIDIA helping Sony with PS3, or nothing more
than looking forward to the next-gen consoles????

yeah, is this some months old but still worth listening to because
that segment your going to zoom over too deals with what kind of an
R&D effort it takes to build a game console, today or in the next few
years, be it for Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group..._doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#4423f492a8e527e4

Diffense

IMO, dedicated PS3 GPU = good news.

PS2 would have been a better console with one. The EE wouldn't have been saddled with tasks competing consoles do quite efficiently (and cost effectively) on their GPUs. Maybe then we'd have seen some real emotion instead of just eye-piercing 'jaggies'.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
MightyHedgehog said:
cybamerc, like I said...middle of the road.
Hardly. Compared to its direct competitors SNES and N64 were unquestionably more capable in regards to graphics. Neither system were perfect but no system is. Your little list of complaints just shows ignorance on the matter.

thorns

Banned
J. Horwitz said:
As correctly assumed by the skeptics here, the two-year number is sleight of hand. As of one year ago, the collaboration between nVidia and Sony was apparently not finalized, and rather was being explored as one of two or more PS3 GPU possibilities. Sony attempted but apparently failed to develop a graphics solution in-house, and as I understand it was approached by nVidia with the suggestion that a competitive solution would require shader and other technologies Sony was ill-equipped to deliver on par with ATI's Xbox2/NR chips.

From what was said by an nVidia insider at the time, Sony's in-house solution was set to be little more than a dramatic polygon count evolution of the PS2's graphics chip, scaled in rough approximation to the PS1-PS2 jump, with relatively few new hardware effects (and perhaps lacking support for emergent display technologies). The theory behind nVidia's discussions with Sony was that the Japanese hardware and software development communities had generally missed the boat on the various next-generation shadowing, texturing, shading, and geometry technologies incorporated into ATI and nVidia chipsets, and consequently had fallen behind Western developers on the software development curve for such features.

Now that all of the major console hardware players have partnered with Western graphics chipmakers, the expectation is that the next generation (or two) of software will begin to show more dramatic visual gains than the last one did. EA's recent "screenshots", for example, aren't too far off from reality except in the specifics.

I kinda believe this, it seems Sony couldn't build a capable GPU of its own, so is going to use Nvidia tech. I think the Xbox2 and PS3 will be relatively close in terms of GPUs.

Elios83

shpankey said:
Not when it's on the PC platform. PC software never fully takes advantage of the hardware. You know that. And wasn't that the Geforce 4 Ultra era anyhow?

When PS2 chips were ready to be produced, they were TNT2 times. When PS2 git the market, they were GeForce 1 times.

With Sony expertise in chip design and the joint effort from nVidia regarding graphics solutions I think PS3 will be simply unrivalled.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Shh...listen! I think you can just about hear the sound of a few million fanboys and critics being silenced, and a few more furiously readying counter-arguments.. :lol

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TTP said:
Yep. Which is the best part of the announcement if u ask me.

Oh yeah...

Compiler for APUs/SPUs, Multi-Threading and Multi-Tasking CELL OS, nVIDIA software and tools for the GPU, etc...

:).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
EekTheKat said:
It's worded oddly, but I'm also reading it also as a custom GPU "incorporating" Geforce Tech and "SCEI's system solutions for next-generation computer entertainment systems".

This means NV5X tech and lots (hopefully) of fast e-DRAM in which SCEI and Toshiba have a very good know-how.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
DCharlie said:
"And MrSingh announced it 3 days ago on THIS board ;)"

... but but but ...

we have shit sources!

No, no, no... shit sources would say that SCE is working with nVIDIA and then they would take that back a few weeks later and say that chances are way too slim now ;).

J/K man, I am only goofing around :).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
No, no, no... shit sources would say that SCE is working with nVIDIA and then they would take that back a few weeks later and say that chances are way too slim now ;)
And then they would add some stuff about internal designs to depress everyone...

Come to think of it that was probably all tactics - consider how much more impact the news have on you now :p

Speaking off, what's with the calm replies Pana. Where's the wrestler photos and "wooooo"s :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Pana - do you think the extent of Sony's contribution is limited to edram, or do you think there might there be a " fuller" incorporation of cell tech in this GPU?

Speculate, damnit! :p ;)

DSN2K

Nvidia are going to be making so much money on this its unreal.

just think of the royalities on a console what sells about 20m a year and a platform known for its massive software sales.

maskrider

DSN2K said:
Nvidia are going to be making so much money on this its unreal.

just think of royalities on a console what sells about 20m a year and platform known for its massive software sales.

That's why PS3 will be a "miracle machine", at least a monetory miracle.

BTW, I am not surprised.

Izzy

Banned
Look at what I posted on OA a couple of weeks ago:

10:23AM Mike Tarsala's TechWatch Alert -- RMBS (RMBS) 24.34 +2.17: Analysts we reached this morning say that Rambus is very likely to benefit from the Cell processor announced today by Sony (SNE), IBM (IBM) and Toshiba (TOSBF). Of note, Rambus announced back in January 2003 that it had licensed its XDR memory and its Redwood high-speed parallel interface (its Yellowstone and Redwood technologies) to Sony and Toshiba. While IBM was NOT MENTIONED in that 2003 release, Big Blue is known for having a strict approval process when its name appears in other company's press releases. Another company analysts have mentioned as possible benefactor from the Cell processor, which is expected to go toe-to-toe with Intel in the home entertainment (specifically the multimedia living room) could be graphics-processor maker Nvidia (NVDA) -- although none of the analysts offered any specific proof. More details on the Cell processor are expected to be announced at the International Solid State Circuits Conference, which is scheduled to begin on Feb. 6 in San Francisco.

Izzy 11/29/04 07:15 PM Post #5
Advanced Member

Perhaps, but maybe Nvidia is designing the PS3 GPU, and in return Sony is giving them a free licence to use the Cell tech in their future PC GPUs.

Guess I was right - and this is H U G E.
Link

Che

Banned
AWESOME I repeat AWESOME news. Cell + Nvidia GPU and middleware means that PS3 will be a unmatchable monster. *happy dances*

DCharlie

Banned
"And then they would add some stuff about internal designs to depress everyone...

Come to think of it that was probably all tactics - consider how much more impact the news have on you now :p"

and as you both know, what is even MORE fucked up is the people who DON'T/DIDN'T know about this.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm thinking NVidia were plodding along with a seperate NV50 (the one we were all hearing about) up until they got final confirmation from Sony that they had been picked(a couple of weeks ago, or more perhaps), and then canned that NV50 to go full steam ahead with their work with Sony?

Really really interesting stuff..

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Fafalada said:
And then they would add some stuff about internal designs to depress everyone...

Come to think of it that was probably all tactics - consider how much more impact the news have on you now :p

Speaking off, what's with the calm replies Pana. Where's the wrestler photos and "wooooo"s :D

You are right...

I must go from this...

alfred-lord-tennyson-200x350.jpg

to

flair.jpg

Flair.jpg

Flair2.jpg

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

P.S.:he is not "a wrestler"... He is The Nature Boy Ric Flair ;).

Che

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Well, not to totally derail this or anything, but I just don't hold out much hope for Nintendo on the visual capability end...they always seem to end up with generally middle of the road capability, relative to their competitors.

Well, considering the possibility that Revolution will launch six months or more after Xenon and the fact that ATI has been working on Revolution's GPU way more than Xenon's, adding the statemants of MS that they want to make profit this time and that Nintendo will invest more this time, I think there's a pretty big possibility that Revolution will produce better graphics than Xenon. On the other side now that everything is known for PS3 I pretty much doubt that anyone could compete with them in the graphics department.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I agree, I think it'll end up as PS3 > Revolution >= Xbox2

Or perhaps PS3 >> Revolution >= Xbox2..or PS3 >>>... :D

Deg

Banned
Not interesting news at all. Next gen tech would be too problematic for Sony alone. No surprise they went with nvidia. Would have preffered ATI. Much more of a gain for Nvidia.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Che said:
Well, considering the possibility that Revolution will launch six months or more after Xenon and the fact that ATI has been working on Revolution's GPU way more than Xenon's, adding the statemants of MS that they want to make profit this time and that Nintendo will invest more this time, I think there's a pretty big possibility that Revolution will produce better graphics than Xenon. On the other side now that everything is known for PS3 I pretty much doubt that anyone could compete with them in the graphics department.

Xenon is getting big support from ATI though.

Spike

MightyHedgehog said:
GC...limited media format than competitors...less capable in many graphical areas than XBOX.

You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

With the exception of the Xbox being able to handle 8 harware lights as opposed to the Cube's 6, there really is no difference other than the amount of memory in the units.

And ATI has been working with Nintendo on the Revolution even before Microsoft announced they had partnered with ATI. I don't expect there to be much difference between the systems graphically. I just wish these companies would start showing something already. I want to get a taste of the next gen already. :)

WordofGod

Banned
I know Xbox 2 uses Shader 3.0, so does that mean the PS3 will use Shader 4.0 now that Nvidia is making the GPU? How big of a difference is Shader 3.0 compared to Shader 4.0?

EDIT:

I know the Xbox 2 GPU uses Shader 3.0, so does that mean the PS3 GPU will use Shader 4.0 now that Nvidia is making the GPU? How big of a difference is Shader 3.0 compared to Shader 4.0?

ThirdEye

WordofGod said:
I know Xbox 2 uses Shader 3.0, so does that mean the PS3 will use Shader 4.0 now that Nvidia is making the GPU? How big of a difference is Shader 3.0 compared to Shader 4.0?

There's no such thing as 'Shader Model' in PS3 as 'Shader Model' is an MS tech

DCharlie

Banned
lol.

Service pack 3 for Windows :

Improved Security
Faster calls in Direct X
Removal of redundant features (Hidden macros for tech demo, staff list, removal of Nvidea graphics card support)

Spike

DCharlie said:
lol.

Improved Security
Faster calls in Direct X
Removal of redundant features (Hidden macros for tech demo, staff list, removal of Nvidea graphics card support)

:lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ThirdEye said:
There's no such thing as 'Shader Model' in PS3 as 'Shader Model' is an MS tech

I guess there will be "equivalents" though..expect lots of arguments in the next year or so over who has better "shaders" etc.

Che

Banned
Vortac said:
Che you got it a bit backwards there...Revolution is the same road as Xenon, more cost friendly.

As I said Nintendo has stated that they'll invest a lot of money this time, and Microsoft that they want to make a profit. So Mightyheghog's opinion, who is certain that Revolution's graphics will be inferior compared to Xenon's, can be totally false.. Btw I need more info on PS3 and Nvidia. Anything...

vesuvious

Banned
With this announcement I am wondering if Sony and Nvidia will find a solution for backwards compatibility with PS1 and PS2 software. Initially, I believe Sony wanted PS3 to be backwards compatible. Will Sony just include a chip in the PS3 that is capable of reading PS2 and PS1 discs, or is this going to be a situation where Sony, like Microsoft, has to abandon backwards compatability?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
That's more like it Pana :)

P.S.:he is not "a wrestler"... He is The Nature Boy Ric Flair ;)
Details details :p

DCharlie said:
and as you both know, what is even MORE fucked up is the people who DON'T/DIDN'T know about this
Well perhaps Sony ninjas are better at their work then any of us realized :p

Che

Banned
DCharlie said:
lol.

Improved Security
Faster calls in Direct X

:lol:lol:lol

Izzy

Banned
Former DC fans should love this: Nvidia/Sony PS3 GPU is probably tile based renderer.

Patent

Now that, quite clearly, is a tiled/deffered renderer very much in the style of PowerVR. But it goes one step further to sort and manage primatives by a bounding box heirarchy, which overcomes one of PowerVR's real limits (building a bsp of primatives per tile). It also appears to be able to store and compsite overlapping 'bricks'(tiles).

This sounds *very* much like the Talisman design.

Top Bottom