• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA Helping Sony with PS3 GPU

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Quoted by Izzy said:
This sounds *very* much like the Talisman design.

TBR, really? Cool.

I hope by "like Talisman" you mean efficiency-driven, and not "going nowhere tech thats gonna make all the rats jump ship" BTW :p

Izzy

Banned
Freeburn said:
TBR, really? Cool.

I hope by "like Talisman" you mean efficiency-driven, and not "going nowhere tech thats gonna make all the rats jump ship" BTW :p

Ah, don't worry about it Vennt - it's going to be used in Nvidia's PC GPU tech, too.

xexex

Banned
I havent read through this thread, yet. but with Nvidia, the PlayStation 3 has the chance to fight Xenon and Revolution on the image quality / rendering front, and area that Sony has never been able to rival PC graphics providers.

now we know why Nvidia's Jen Sen called the PS3 a miracle machine. :lol

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Izzy said:
Ah, don't worry about it Vennt - it's going to be used in Nvidia's PC GPU tech, too.

Well, you can guarantee that despite whoever happens to hold the performance crown in the PC market 5 years from now... nothing will stop my fate of buying the number #2 option 2-3 weeks before it's launched/announced/available. :p

(Hehe, no kidding, somehow I managed to have nVidia in my PC when a 9800 should have been doing the biz, and now I have a 9600xt when I should have a 6800...)

should be able to

:lol

They're going to absolutely destroy the others as far as tech is concerned. I love how somehow Sony is being portrayed as being behind in this race. Gotta love the Xbox reality distortion field.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
WordofGod said:
I know Xbox 2 uses Shader 3.0, so does that mean the PS3 will use Shader 4.0 now that Nvidia is making the GPU? How big of a difference is Shader 3.0 compared to Shader 4.0?

EDIT:

I know the Xbox 2 GPU uses Shader 3.0, so does that mean the PS3 GPU will use Shader 4.0 now that Nvidia is making the GPU? How big of a difference is Shader 3.0 compared to Shader 4.0?

Xbox 2's GPU uses something beyond Shader Model 3.0.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I think Sony has usually done a pretty damn good job of keeping pace by themselves IMO.

It'll be interesting to see how things unfold when it comes to ports on the next-gen systems :p

Drek

What I see as the big points.

Nvidia - ATi
1. Nvidia's next PC card series and the PS3 will have a similar development set. This puts ATi in a precarious position I'd say. Before Nvidia was content to pay developers to have Nvidia be the ideal brand of graphics card for their big games. With this new partnership Nvidia will get even more of that advantage, only this time for free.
2. Nvidia now has Cell licensing rights, giving them ready access to a very powerful CPU that they can use in PC graphics cards. PC cards typically have each chipset reused for several iterations just with the processors at different clock speeds. While ATi will be spending money to find these ideal ranges for their cards Nvidia will be getting the advantage of any clock speed adjustments IBM, Sony, and Toshiba find for cell.
3. Nvidia will also very possibly see some nice royalties from the PS3. If this past gen repeats they'll get more royalties than ATi will when ATi has chips in two of the three major consoles. That increased revenue is big for a company like Nvidia, that is so good at leveraging their bankroll against their opposition.

Effects on MS
1. This is a big "Fuck You!" from Nvidia for the litigation involving Xbox GPU chip prices and quantities.
2. Nvidia is moving away from MS' Direct X with this, going to whatever they and Sony develop. This is the first serious threat Direct X's dominance has seen, and its a big one. MS built Xbox on the fact that PC gaming went through Redmond, which lead to a lot of their best 3rd party support. If Sony can flip that around on them it'll give Xenon a much harder road to travel.

MS - Sony
Sony's really throwing down the gauntlet here. This is about as close to a direct challenge over the entire gaming market, console and PC, as it gets. Sony also makes a big hardware play here in that not only will they have newer hardware that most people expect to be better anyways, they'll now have Nvidia making it more developer friendly, the biggest gripe with the PS2. MS needs Sony to slip up in order to gain significant ground, with move makes it even less likely that Sony will do that.

Pug

Come on then Pani using your "see into the future technology" what if any are going to be the graphical difference between the next gen machines now we know they will be using PC technology?

xexex

Banned
MrClaw:
Jesus.

Well I take it all back. Seems like Sony don't want to reinvent the wheel, and all three next-gen consoles will be using PC evolution parts. I'm sure there will be significant customisation, but surely this is a backward step for Sony

no, it is a STEP UP for Sony. because whatever Sony would have made on its own (it made PS1, PS2 graphics on its own pretty much) would have lagged behind ATI, Nvidia, etc PC graphics chip makers, thus Xenon and Revolution would have had probably better image quality, like Dreamcast, Gamecube and Xbox all have better image quality than PS2.

now Sony will be on equal terms, for the first time. this is a huge step for both Sony and Nvidia.

Sony gets access to one of the largest pools of graphics engineering talent in the world (SGI, Nvidia, 3Dfx, whoever else Nvidia have assimilated over the years)

Nvidia gets to have its IP in the most mass-market console brand, the Playstation brand, something Nvidia could never hope for with the Xbox1 or the Xbox2 if Nvidia had done Xbox2 graphics.

1. This is a big "Fuck You!" from Nvidia for the litigation involving Xbox GPU chip prices and quantities.

this is true. definitally a big 'Fuck You' to MS :lol

Blimblim

The Inside Track
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/news.php?aid=2161
Rob Fahey 09:38 01/09/2003
"Lashing NVIDIA's technology onto the PS3 architecture would simply make no sense..."

A rumour linking graphics chipset manufacturer NVIDIA with the PlayStation 3 has been described as "ridiculous" by a senior source, who claims that the company will design its own GPU for the console.

The rumour was reported widely last week by a number of online news sites, based on a single article on CNN which quoted American Technology Research analyst Erach Desai as saying that NVIDIA "is in discussions with Sony for the PS3".

However, a senior source close to Sony Computer Entertainment told gi.biz that it was a "ridiculous suggestion" that Sony would look elsewhere for a designer and manufacturer for the graphics processor (GPU) for the future console. "Sony has its own chip design teams and manufacturing facilities with massive experience in this sort of thing," he commented. "Lashing NVIDIA's technology onto the PS3 architecture would simply make no sense either technologically or commercially."
:lol

The increased profits from their royalty agreement for the PS3 will probably launch nVidia well over ATI. And the PlayStation 3 was probably already going to be more technologically advanced than either nintendo's or microsoft's next systems considering that both nintendo and microsoft are probably looking at a 2005 release where as Sony probably won't release until at least spring 2006. Giving them some type of edge when it comes to age of technology.

Izzy

Banned
A trollastic question: Are future ID and EPIC games and engines going to be superior on the PS3? :lol

I already thought hte PS3 was going to be the more advanced of the three systems because of the time table in which I see the systems coming out, but now I have no doubt in my mind.

m0dus said:
While no one is denying the power of CELL, I think "absolutely destroy" the others is MORE than a bit premature, considering the very short lead time between the 3 consoles, and the fact revolution is coming out after PS3. We all got ahead of ourselves once this gen, best not to repeat that mistake. :lol

It was simply a joke. I was really just making a point about some people claiming that:

"now, Sony might have a chance" :lol

TheDiave

Banned
It's really hard for me to decide what to make of the next round of game consoles. As it is, we've seen near-realistic visuals. Once they cross that line, what frontier is really left to cover? I've found myself unsure about even buying PS3, XB2, Revolution because it's not prettier pictures I'm starving for, but new gameplay innovations.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Biglesworth23 said:
Is that a strike against Nintendo? Because if it is.. ~shakes fist~
No, I wasn't being sarcastic at all. A lot of people seem to forget that Nintendo actually is launching another console, even if we don't know much about it right now. I was happy to see that xexex didn't forget to mention it.

human5892 said:
No, I wasn't being sarcastic at all. A lot of people seem to forget that Nintendo actually is launching another console, even if we don't know much about it right now. I was happy to see that xexex didn't forget to mention it.

Oh. Well. Thank you then. You are very right.. most people don't even mention it anymore.. ~sigh~

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
if MS gets credit from me for one thing, it is their job at convincing people of things even if it may not be correct or the truth.

"We are the number one console out there" as long as you don't count PS2. and hell, they were saying it from the start, at which point GCN was ahead of them worldwide up until earlier this year.

"We have the most powerful next-gen console" despite the fact that both other systems are launching later and will undoubtedly be better, if even only by a fractional margin.

I mean all companies do it, and no those aren't direct quotes, but MS has just gone crazy with their marketing. For three years the average joe has really believed that MS is in the lead and now the average joe believes that MS will have the most powerful console despite launching a year earlier than everyone else.. Now if MS would just say they can walk on water....... :p

but seriously, congrats to them.. they have outmarketed sony.. it may not show in their sales, profits, or market share, but at least the general public believes what they say. :lol

borghe said:
if MS gets credit from me for one thing, it is their job at convincing people of things even if it may not be correct or the truth.

"We are the number one console out there" as long as you don't count PS2. and hell, they were saying it from the start, at which point GCN was ahead of them worldwide up until earlier this year.

"We have the most powerful next-gen console" despite the fact that both other systems are launching later and will undoubtedly be better, if even only by a fractional margin.

I mean all companies do it, and no those aren't direct quotes, but MS has just gone crazy with their marketing. For three years the average joe has really believed that MS is in the lead and now the average joe believes that MS will have the most powerful console despite launching a year earlier than everyone else.. Now if MS would just say they can walk on water....... :p

but seriously, congrats to them.. they have outmarketed sony.. it may not show in their sales, profits, or market share, but at least the general public believes what they say. :lol

I think you're confusing internet message board frequenters (a certain group I might add), with the general population. I think Joe Schmoe still considers the Playstation to be the definition of gaming, but I think Microsoft has certainly made inroads with more knowledgeable gamers.

Che

Banned
borghe said:

Just wait till Sony's propaganda department unleashes their marketing missiles when Xenon releases.

Izzy

Banned

sonicfan

Venerable Member
I doesn't surprise me. If you have ever heard JH Huang talk about Sony, he has seemed to me to be rather oddly positive, given that he was working with the competition. I never heard him trash talk the PS2 after about the first year of working with MS. Maybe his bad experiences with MS made he think to always keep the door open to Sony. I think he is very bitter over his expereince with the X-box, and would love nothing better than to stick it into Bill Gate's eye with the PS3.

Plus, he's a tech/hardware guy, MS has never been about that, but Sony has.

jedimike

vesuvious said:
With this announcement I am wondering if Sony and Nvidia will find a solution for backwards compatibility with PS1 and PS2 software. Initially, I believe Sony wanted PS3 to be backwards compatible. Will Sony just include a chip in the PS3 that is capable of reading PS2 and PS1 discs, or is this going to be a situation where Sony, like Microsoft, has to abandon backwards compatability?

A legitimate question worth repeating... will the PS3 be able to replicate the the EE?

Really, I think the difference between PS3/Xenon/Revolution will be the developer tools. Whoever can make it easiest for the developers to make the best looking games with the least amount of resources (coders, artists, modelers, etc.) will get the most developer support.

When both nintendo and microsoft announced that they were going with ati, I think nVidia realized if they didn't get into some sort of agreement with Sony they were going to be left behind. The problem? Sony was pretty hellbent on doing the GPU for the PS3 themselves. I think this is why they have a royalty agreement with Sony instead of simply selling gpus to sony.

Neither company needs to worry about an overshipment of gpus, and about the price of the gpus.

Ken Kutaragi has always maintained that the PlayStation brand will remain backwards compatible. Have I missed something?

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
A legitimate question worth repeating... will the PS3 be able to replicate the the EE?

Why replicate or emulate?

Surely they could "do a PS2" and throw the EE into the PS3 as an I/O controller :p

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Surely they could "do a PS2" and throw the EE into the PS3 as an I/O controller :p
I'm genuienly worried that some smart ass would think it's a good idea to use EE as the sound chip also :\

alejob

sonycowboy said:
They're going to absolutely destroy the others as far as tech is concerned.
[Sports cheer]Overrated!!!!! pum! pum! pum! pum! Overrated!!!!! pum! pum! pum! pum!...repeat[/Sports cheer]...repeat

McFly

Galian Beast said:
When both nintendo and microsoft announced that they were going with ati, I think nVidia realized if they didn't get into some sort of agreement with Sony they were going to be left behind.

Two years back the ATI deal was not known, so it's more like Nvidia was pissed from their MS deal and asked Sony if they could help them (or got a phone from Sony).

Fredi

Freeburn said:
Why replicate or emulate?

Well,

the cost of the combined EE+GS has got to be pretty damn cost reduced at this point of the cycle and it's on 65nm processing, right?

That would seem to be a very, very small price to pay to get BC.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Galian Beast said:
at the moment the xbox is selling pretty evenly with the PS2 in north america. And don't think the media hasn't made note of that.

There is a shortage of PS2s on the market. Not the best time to compare sales statistics and draw any sort of accurate conclusion...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DCharlie said:
"And MrSingh announced it 3 days ago on THIS board ;)"

... but but but ...

we have shit sources!
I didn't see what MrSingh said...I guess you guys are on the road to recovery ;)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
McFly said:
Additional news from Japanese sources (thx2oneB3D):

According to Mainichi Shimbun
http://www.mainichi-msn.co.jp/it/computing/news/20041207org00m300120000c.html
the completion of the GPU is expected in July - Sep 2005.

According to Mycom PC Web
http://pcweb.mycom.co.jp/news/2004/12/07/005.html
they start the production of the new GPU in 90nm process then move into 65nm process.

Fredi

Start commericial production or sample production on 90nm? Might this point to a 90nm entry point for PS3 in general?

Also, finishing work on the GPU in July-Sep05 should put to rest any questions regarding the chips power relative to ATi's Xbox2 chip...

(R5xx work has finished up, hasn't it? Or finishing up soon?)

Top Bottom