• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

dr_rus

You're not even sure the SP's aren't hotclocked. Last rumor I checked, the SP's were hotclocked.
I'm sure =) They're not.

And eventually a card with massive processing power becomes bandwidth starved. Even Fermi was bandwidth starved somewhat, and I think GK104 will be even worse. Luckily they're using RAM that can hit ridiculous clocks, but I can see GK110 performing much better with a 384-bit or 512-bit bus. d2
This has been the case, well, always. New GPUs always have much bigger increases in flops than in Gbps.
GK110 will have a 512-bit bus probably.

I still think this turbo boost thing is kinda weird for a GPU, and might make overclocking a bit more annoying if it isn't implemented well...
It is weird and it does make overclocking a bit more annoying. But it can't be turned off so that's something we all will have to live with now.

I really think a decent Kepler will OC even higher than a 7970/7950. Their stock voltage appears to be very low and I think they should grab a solid 300-400 Mhz on the core. And I hope the RAM chips hit 7-8 Ghz with ease.
Doesn't seem like this at the moment. Clocks headroom seems to be pretty even between Tahiti and GK104.

dr_rus

Probably? I can confirm this right now.
Nothing is for certain until it gets released. I can't guarantee that todays GK110 will be the same GK110 that might one day be released as a GeForce -) Also there is no guarantee that even if it's 512 bit it won't be cut down to 448 bit for GeForces to improve yields. Many many factors.

artist

Banned
Nothing is for certain until it gets released. I can't guarantee that todays GK110 will be the same GK110 that might one day be released as a GeForce -) Also there is no guarantee that even if it's 512 bit it won't be cut down to 448 bit for GeForces to improve yields. Many many factors.
Too much wiggle room.

-SD-

Banned
capturevxjwv.png

Edit: I see artist posted this in the UE4 thread. I found the pic from somewhere else.

artist

Banned
Few more tidbits, not posted any where ..

NVENC, 4K Display support.

TXAA is a mix of hardware and software based AA. Borderlands 2 and Unreal Engine 4.0 will be the first among a slew of titles to adopt it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Few more tidbits, not posted any where ..

NVENC, 4K Display support.

TXAA is a mix of hardware and software based AA. Borderlands 2 and Unreal Engine 4.0 will be the first among a slew of titles to adopt it.
Cool. Keep updating with any info you got artist, thanks.
Looking forward to TXAA, hopefully it's the real deal.

Kinda of kicking myself for picking up a 7950 just the other day... but I couldn't resist since I sold my 6950 for $275.

Guess I'll hit up newegg and check out the return policy.

Jtrizzy

Why are we even discussing 4k at this point? Can you even purchase them? If so how much? Even then, what'll you need 3 of the highest end kepler cards to play a game?

Also, what is EVFC?

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
I really wish Nvidia had won a contract for one of the next gen consoles now, obviously not sticking a GTX 680 in there, but a lower end Kepler GPU. Like everyone else I assumed AMD would continue to lead on performance per watt.
Good job by the green team, I've always been with ATI/AMD but when I next build a PC it's looking like I'll be going with Nvidia unless AMD get aggressive with pricing.

I'm looking forward to reading technical explanations of the architecture :D

Globox_82

Banned
Considering the price of these cards. I can only imagine how expensive next gen consoles are going to be.
On top of that 8gb or 6gb of ram and advanced CPU. 599 minimum...

Globox_82

Banned
when 360 got released where was it's GPU standing in therms of PC standards. Was it high end, mid?
Same with RSX but that was a year later...

Fixed1979

For Canadians anyway...not sure about US. No need to hit F5 all night long.

Hardware Canucks said:
2404f6a78ef6f332.jpg

No midnight launches this time around guys!

Tomorrow morning. 9:01AM. A new architecture from NVIDIA.

Stay tuned!!!

LINK

Assuming EST.

Lulubop

Any other manufactures offer any program like Evga's step up? Though I doubt gk110 will be released within the allotted time now anyway.

Considering the price of these cards. I can only imagine how expensive next gen consoles are going to be.

Umm...

You assume they will go high end GPU again. The prevailing opinion seems to be they will not. High end GPU's today have much higher power requirements than in 2005. So many think this precludes them in consoles (I'm personally a bit on the fence).

Second important thing is high end GPU's dont actually cost $500. They cost a lot less the rest is profit. And of course the lower price we go the less of the price is profit.

The actual die in a 680 or Tahiti probably costs about only $100. (this doesnt count the RAM and everything else).

A Pitcairn GPU (7870 and 50 which imo are very powerful), has a die size of just 212mm. For comparison RSX in PS3 started at 240mm. Some rumors have GK104 Kepler as low as 294mm (power/heat could be another matter, but personally I think can be dealt with). Conclusion is that regardless of price, at the very least a Pitcairn could go in next gen.

Of course, the question of is it possible and the question of will they actually do it are separate.

artist

Banned
A Pitcairn GPU (7870 and 50 which imo are very powerful), has a die size of just 212mm. For comparison RSX in PS3 started at 240mm. Some rumors have GK104 Kepler as low as 294mm (power/heat could be another matter, but personally I think can be dealt with). Conclusion is that regardless of price, at the very least a Pitcairn could go in next gen.
Yeah, I tried to sell this idea to GAF and half of GAF laughed at it.

iceatcs

That was RRP price, console manufacturers will get wholesale price if they want to use it.

But yes high range/standard and new techs hardware don't come cheap. That's why most console used some are at least one year old techs before launch.

Top Bottom