• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

Smokey

Hmm, I upgraded my drivers from 301.34 to .42 and my 3DMark score went down 90 points. Anyone else notice a decrease? I'm on 3570K/Gigabyte GTX 670. This was before updating, after updating was P8152.

Of course it's probably not a good idea to get sucked into the game of worrying about high benchmarks if all my games play great.

Chris R

Hmm, I upgraded my drivers from 301.34 to .42 and my 3DMark score went down 90 points. Anyone else notice a decrease? I'm on 3570K/Gigabyte GTX 670. This was before updating, after updating was P8152.

Of course it's probably not a good idea to get sucked into the game of worrying about high benchmarks if all my games play great.

That is 1% variation. Did you run the test over and over to get a median score to use as your baseline for both drivers? If not I'd just put it down to a test quirk :p

And camping Amazon's site for the Asus 670 this weekend will be fun! Yay!

MrBig

That is 1% variation. Did you run the test over and over to get a median score to use as your baseline for both drivers? If not I'd just put it down to a test quirk :p

And camping Amazon's site for the Asus 670 this weekend will be fun! Yay!

The Asus has yet to show up on Amazon (from a major reseller or amazon themselves)

Check newegg at around 11am est, thats when stock came in yesterday and today.

Also use this.

Chris R

The Asus has yet to show up on Amazon (from a major reseller or amazon themselves)

Check newegg at around 11am est, thats when stock came in yesterday and today.

Also use this.

I know Newegg had them in stock, wanna order from Amazon though for the free shipping and credit card rewards stuff. Works out to being about a $30 difference between Amazon and Newegg with those things considered. Also, those resellers are fucking stupid, but not as stupid as the people buying the cards for that insane markup.

Azzurri

I'm thinking of switching out my GTX 580 for a GTX 670? Only reason I want to do this is because my 580 never seemed quite right, and gave me some problems.

PowerK

I think we both are the only 2 owners of 2x690's!!! When you get a chance, run 3dmark11 in the "P" mode and post your results...just wondering what it is since I have not run the "X" one yet myself.

Although I game on my HDTV at 1080p and I know many will say 2x690's is a waste, I am seriously considering getting that Dell Monitor you have. Can you provide any feedback on it? I read it has a 7ms repsonse time which to me is pretty high and reading some reviews in fast moving scenes it can smear..is that the case for you?

I am still in the thinking phase since it will require for me to buy a desk, desk chair, wireless adapter, speakers for my PC. Right now it is hooked up next to my entertainment center with my 5.1 set up...but too many people are telling me 2560x1600 is the promised land...lol
Hawk,

Sorry, I didn't see your post until today.

Anyway, here it is. I ran the 3DMark11 in both P and X mode with the new Forceware 301.42 WHQL.
GTX 690s are @ stock.

3DMark11 Extreme mode.
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3520849

iFqlzuAdtQLMf.png

3DMark11 Performance mode.
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3520627

iMjthMPfxvWyj.png

Is the 660 due any time soon?

My trusty 5850 has just gone the way of the dodo and I don't want to spend any more than £200 on a GPU as I'm doing a big upgrade next year.

The 570 is only £175 is it worth waiting for 660 or just get 570 now?

Just ordered my Asus GTX670 DCII TOP. Novatech.co.uk has them in stock and seems like a good price at £350. Overclockers and SCAN are both ~390. Actually Novatech has both the standard and TOP versions for £350, so it could be a pricing error but I expect they will honour it.

This will replace my Asus GTX570 DCII.

Any recommendations about drivers when replacing cards? I can imagine going from AMD to NVidia or vice versa you'd be best doing use drive sweeper or something first, but going from a GTX570 to a 670 I guess it's just "plug and play"?

teiresias

Just ordered my Asus GTX670 DCII TOP. Novatech.co.uk has them in stock and seems like a good price at £350. Overclockers and SCAN are both ~390. Actually Novatech has both the standard and TOP versions for £350, so it could be a pricing error but I expect they will honour it.

This will replace my Asus GTX570 DCII.

Any recommendations about drivers when replacing cards? I can imagine going from AMD to NVidia or vice versa you'd be best doing use drive sweeper or something first, but going from a GTX570 to a 670 I guess it's just "plug and play"?

Personally, I'd uninstall the drivers and reinstall when going from one GPU generation to the next, but maybe I'm just paranoid. If you were replacing one 570 with another 570 (or adding a second card for SLI) I'd just leave the drivers installed, but otherwise I always just always try to do it cleanly.

I wouldn't bother with Drive Sweeper though going from one Nvidia driver to another, I haven't found any need to use Drive Sweeper in years, personally - then again, I haven't done a GPU vendor change in years either.

that's cool, where can i buy nvidias high end card? Also, why are Nvidia pricing their mid range card at $500????!!

It is their high-end card because their real high-end card is staying in the tesla family until they can justify selling one for less than ten thousand dollars.

And then they'll call it the GTX 780.

CoLaN

Today i replaced my 5870 with a 670.

I have 8 GB of RAM and an i5 750. I was scared about the possible bottleneck caused by the CPU... but as soon as i installed the 670 i noticed an impressive improvement in many games with tessellation that gave me issues with my previous card, and in general every single game i launched ran extremely better than before (and smooth as butter)

So, there is a bottleneck for sure, but the upgrade was fully worth it :D

DTKT

For a stock 670, none of that TOP voodoo, which manufacturer would you guys recommend? I think EVGA has a nice lifetime warranty?

My 5870 fan is currently on it's last legs and making a dreadful noise.

MrBig

For a stock 670, none of that TOP voodoo, which manufacturer would you guys recommend? I think EVGA has a nice lifetime warranty?

My 5870 fan is currently on it's last legs and making a dreadful noise.

evga does not offer a lifetime warranty for their kepler cards. I would not recommend a reference 670 because the pcb design isn't all that great. The Asus and Gigabyte solutions are much better.

MrBig

By the way, is ASUS offering stock 670? I thought they only did the TOP version...

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121637

The version you linked is not overclocked, correct (all that the TOP means is that they were certified to be better OCers and were binned as such, resulting in the $10 price hike for the assurance of better clocks). It has a more efficient cooler, meaning it's quieter and cooler than the reference/blower design. afaik the evga FTW is the only custom pcb 670 that uses the blower design if that's what you're looking for.

DTKT

The version you linked is not overclocked, correct (all that the TOP means is that they were certified to be better OCers and were binned as such, resulting in the $10 price hike for the assurance of better clocks). It has a more efficient cooler, meaning it's quieter and cooler than the reference/blower design. afaik the evga FTW is the only custom pcb 670 that uses the blower design if that's what you're looking for.

I see.

The issue is that in Canada, the ASUS TOP is almost 500$. At the point, I'm better off with a Gigabyte stock or ASUS stock.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=71107&vpn=GV-N670OC-2GD&manufacture=Gigabyte

:|

MrBig

Either of those would be great cards. I'd go with the gigabyte since it is factory OCed by some amount. The non-TOP has a chance of being a reject of the TOP binning, and even though it'll be a good chip it wont be a good OCer.

Shambles

I see.

The issue is that in Canada, the ASUS TOP is almost 500$. At the point, I'm better off with a Gigabyte stock or ASUS stock.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=71107&vpn=GV-N670OC-2GD&manufacture=Gigabyte

:|

Just like the GTX 680 we'll see the launch of the GTX 660 before nvidia is even able to stock the 670 (And the 680 probably will still not be available at that time). How bad is a company run when you have crowds of people wanting to throw $400 at you but you can't supply them.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just like the GTX 680 we'll see the launch of the GTX 660 before nvidia is even able to stock the 670 (And the 680 probably will still not be available at that time). How bad is a company run when you have crowds of people wanting to throw $400 at you but you can't supply them.

NVidia's supplier can't keep up good yields with 28nm at the moment. Not much NVidia can do about it.

Hawk269

Just a heads up....

According to rumors and someone claiming Jacob from Evga stated that 4gb 680's will begin to go on sale sometime today. The time was around 3:30pm PST according to a thread over at evga.com.

I know alot of folks have been waiting for 4gb Evga cards, it looks like they are about here!

Another tid-bit is that apparently the 680 Classified will be out around the middle of the month as well.

Pimpbaa

Which is the better noise/thermal solution, MSI's TwinFrozr or ASUS' DirectCU II?

Any pros and cons?

My heavily overclocked msi 460 with a TwinFrozr is the coolest running card (idle and under load) I've ever had. You can definitely hear it when it's revved up though, but I don't find the noise that annoying (the stock fan on my i7 on the other hand...)

Chris R

Just hope that my 670 Top doesn't cause my temps to go up too much. Right now I'm only rocking two case fans (both intake) with a spot for a single 140mm exhaust fan. Haven't really loaded the system down yet but I guess I should before the card arrives to get a decent baseline to work with.

mkenyon

Banned
Just checked on the order for my case and it's the same deal, so it's a problem on UPS's end.
I just had a shipment of memory go from CA to OH, then back to CA, and finally up to me in WA. I then AGAIN had it happen with an SSD on Friday/Today. I called UPS and they said it was an error. This was through the Egg.

This can't be coincidence. In 10 years of Egg/UPS shipments, I've never had one do weird stuff like this.

MrBig

I just had a shipment of memory go from CA to OH, then back to CA, and finally up to me in WA. I then AGAIN had it happen with an SSD on Friday/Today. I called UPS and they said it was an error. This was through the Egg.

This can't be coincidence. In 10 years of Egg/UPS shipments, I've never had one do weird stuff like this.

Yeah, I've never seen a screw up like this happen before. I did get my PSU from UPS/egg today, and my SSD/Heatsink from Amazon/Lasership, tough.

demigod

Got my Top from newegg. 80% fan is pretty damn quiet. I can hear it but its still super quiet. I can raise my mem clock +500 but can't raise core clock worth a damn, just +5 before it crashes. 1229 Boost, oh well not too bad.

670's have been in stock every time i check newegg (though usually not 680's since they released). what do you want?

Guys, I'm getting sick of waiting for the Asus 670 DC2T.

Would it be stupid to go for the gigabyte version instead? It seems to be more readily available.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Guys, I'm getting sick of waiting for the Asus 670 DC2T.

Would it be stupid to go for the gigabyte version instead? It seems to be more readily available.
I really like mine and they seemed very similar when I was comparing.

Not sure how much more info is up now that they've launched. No complaints with mine. Whisper quiet and I've never had a card idle so low.

Top Bottom