• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

Mupod

I can't even hear my 970 at all, so that's a good thing I guess. I like how at the default fan profile, the Strix doesn't even need to turn its fans on to play Dark Souls 2...downsampled.

I set it to turn em on at 40 degrees though. It idles at 30 with fans off.

megateto

So now even the Gigabyte cards suffer from coil whine? I thought the worst offenders were the EVGA ones :(. Or is it just a matter of bad luck?

Kevyt

a) Selective bolding for the win. Digital foundry says they are "concerned" that the cards may already be obsolete
b) Mordor is the only game right now that utilizes more than the 4. Evil within's requirement is just fine for the 900 series
c) The ultra texture pack for Mordor isn't because of consoles. Consoles don't have the ultra textures. They have the high quality textures.

That said, it's perfectly fine to wait for 8gig cards if it makes you more comfortable. You'll pay for it though.

Yes I love cherries! :p

But seriously, I feel like artists won't feel constrained because of VRAM as was the case with the PS360. So developers can create textures with no compromises.

I read that Batman Arkham Knight's Batmobile takes more than 360 mb of VRAM... and that's just one item in the game henceforth development for the PS360 would be near impossible. I definitely think that 4GB of VRAM won't be enough in the foreseeable future.

x3sphere

I don't have a 980 but I've heard of people facing stuttering issues on 1080p with ultra settings on Shadow of Mordor and it becomes more of an issue higher resolutions.

Haven't noticed any stuttering with all Ultra settings @ 3440x1440 on a 980, that's more than double the pixel count of 1080p.

At 4K I get some stuttering with Ultra textures though.

It is fine if you want to wait for 8GB cards, I understand that... but 1080p will give you no issues on a 4GB card right now, even Shadow of Mordor.

I suspect the actual requirement is around 3.5GB, but seeing as 6GB was only next step up from Nvidia before the 970/980 was released and the game went gold before Maxwell was released, they just noted 6GB in the requirements.

Serandur

970 coil whine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yGtg-8zV8Y

This shit is just unacceptable.
I don't even understand. What's the point of these fancy, AIB silent coolers when a grating sound from the pits of hell so frequently is much more of an issue? Forget all this silent fan stuff, manufacturers need to get their act together and immobilize/silence the damn coils. I cannot tell you how sick I am of getting defective high-end products, it's sickening (and I just might have terrible luck). I find no more joy in new stuff anymore, it's just anxiety over constantly having to RMA stuff.

Vuze

So, did somebody here get Shadowplay working on their 9xx card? I was actually looking forward to be able to use it but it didn't hook onto one single game I've tried despite switching it on in GeForce Experience and enabling the status icon.

Verger

Banned
970 coil whine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yGtg-8zV8Y

This shit is just unacceptable.
Wow, so that's what that sounds like. I think I may have had something sounding like that with my old EVGA GTX 560Ti, but it wasn't constant and only seemed to happen with certain games IIRC.

Anyway, for all my bellyaching about the EVGA 970 ACX1 I ordered. I took the chance and installed it. So far, I honestly haven't heard much noise from it, certainly not that kind of noise in the video. I even used EVGA's Precision X16 to set the Fan profile to 'Quiet' as well.

The only thing I think it does that's noticeable is that whenever I power on the computer the fans seem to start off at full blast for a second. Anyone else notice anything like that?

Serandur

Wow, so that's what that sounds like. I think I may have had something sounding like that with my old EVGA GTX 560Ti, but it wasn't constant and only seemed to happen with certain games IIRC.

Anyway, for all my bellyaching about the EVGA 970 ACX1 I ordered. I took the chance and installed it. So far, I honestly haven't heard much noise from it, certainly not that kind of noise in the video. I even used EVGA's Precision X16 to set the Fan profile to 'Quiet' as well.

The only thing I think it does that's noticeable is that whenever I power on the computer the fans seem to start off at full blast for a second. Anyone else notice anything like that?
My Gigabyte 970 does that. Also does it when shutting down too.

Yes I love cherries! :p

But seriously, I feel like artists won't feel constrained because of VRAM as was the case with the PS360. So developers can create textures with no compromises.

I read that Batman Arkham Knight's Batmobile takes more than 360 mb of VRAM... and that's just one item in the game henceforth development for the PS360 would be near impossible. I definitely think that 4GB of VRAM won't be enough in the foreseeable future.

in practice, you will never need more than 4GB to achieve parity with consoles. as well, directx 11.2, 11.3, and 12 have tiling which will enable reduced vram usage along with lower cpu overhead provided developers take advantage of it.

developers will still be making compromises though due to the number of rops, fillrate, and the rather weak cpu of consoles. Shader operations are also rather constrained on consoles compared to kepler and maxwell gpus.

I can't even hear my 970 at all, so that's a good thing I guess. I like how at the default fan profile, the Strix doesn't even need to turn its fans on to play Dark Souls 2...downsampled.

I set it to turn em on at 40 degrees though. It idles at 30 with fans off.

I got a 970 Asus Strix myself. It's wonderful.

Zafir

Darn, so that's coil whine. Unfortunate for those who have a card with coil whine. Do retailers/manufacturers not accept RMAs on that issue?

Depends on the retailer. Some don't unless it's serious. I think the bigger issue is whether you want to go through the rigmarole of RMAing it especially with stock shortages.

I'm personally keeping it for the time being to see if it gets better, which some people suggest it does with use.

So, did somebody here get Shadowplay working on their 9xx card? I was actually looking forward to be able to use it but it didn't hook onto one single game I've tried despite switching it on in GeForce Experience and enabling the status icon.

Yeah. I've used it on a bunch of things. I didn't have to do anything special either. GTX 980s here, but it works whether I have SLI on or off.

Is coil whine caused by extremely high framerates? With my 770, I get it unless I use vsync or otherwise limit the framerate to 60.
You get it when your card is working to maximum capacity and you have a faulty cooler. I'm sure the Dawn graphics demo would cause it too for people experiencing it. Basically, if you're getting extremely high framerates you aren't CPU limited and your card is working incredibly hard. Vsync stops it happening in certain games because it's working as a performance throttle basically.

Zafir

Is coil whine caused by extremely high framerates? With my 770, I get it unless I use vsync or otherwise limit the framerate to 60.
High FPS can cause it, yeah. Some cards seem to get it outside that though, like mine. Which does it under heavy load at 60FPS.

Skyzard

Banned

Any chance you are not playing in fullscreen mode?

If so, there is an option in shadowplay geforce experience settings that says "allow desktop capture"

Thrakier

Coil whine is neither something new nor is it limited to certain cards or manufacturers. I went through several 560TIs (!!!) before I understood that. Coil whine was a bit different for each of those, but it was always there.

Verger

Banned
My Gigabyte 970 does that. Also does it when shutting down too.
I cannot remember if mine does it when shutting down as well. It also might do it when the computer turns back on after being asleep too.

I wonder why it does that and if there's a way to fix it?

garath

I cannot remember if mine does it when shutting down as well. It also might do it when the computer turns back on after being asleep too.

I wonder why it does that and if there's a way to fix it?

Some fans in my case do that too. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that this is a feature. The fast spin up is to dislodge dust. I think it might even spin the opposite direction for a second before starting normal operation.

Either way, don't sweat it.

Ok I just guess I didn't win the lotto :( What are your temps for both cards under load?

One reached 73C after 30 minutes in the Heaven Benchmark, the other peaked at 63C. I also lucked out and have no perceivable coil whine.

I've heard coil whine can be caused by a combination of power supply and video card. Has anyone having multiple cards with coil whine tried a different power supply? I know that's a lot to ask.

Verger

Banned
Some fans in my case do that too. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that this is a feature. The fast spin up is to dislodge dust. I think it might even spin the opposite direction for a second before starting normal operation.

Either way, don't sweat it.
Alright then. If that's an as designed feature to do as you say then that puts me at ease. :)

Vuze

Any chance you are not playing in fullscreen mode?

If so, there is an option in shadowplay geforce experience settings that says "allow desktop capture"

Hm, it could be that I ran the few games I tested in borderless as I usually like to do this if available. Thanks for the heads up, I assumed it would hook regardless - will check it out tomorrow.

garath

MSI's in stock @ newegg DEPLOY

:eek:

lol. Well I guess I'm stuck with my ASUS order haha. Screw it, I'm fine with it. Have an ASUS now, very happy.

edit: Just realized the Strix and MSI are the same price on newegg. Wow. Oh well. Asus already charged my card so that's the one I'm keeping.

MSI's in stock @ newegg DEPLOY

Finally was able to order my replacement MSI970 for Will Call pickup. They say it's possible that it will be ready for pickup same-day if ordered before 3pm (ordered at 2pm) so here's hoping I can pick it up tonight.

Returned the last one due to really bad coil whine. Come on universe, make this one a good one!

MJLord

Finally was able to order my replacement MSI970 for Will Call pickup. They say it's possible that it will be ready for pickup same-day if ordered before 3pm (ordered at 2pm) so here's hoping I can pick it up tonight.

Returned the last one due to really bad coil whine. Come on universe, make this one a good one!

I had to send mine back it was DOA. Hopefully I can get a new one asap.

padlock

Seriously if you think coil whine only happens at high frame rates, see if it happens with A New Dawn.

http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-applications/a-new-dawn

I get something like 10 to 15 fps when I run it on a single card. When I run it in SLI, the temps hit scary levels.

I just tried A New Dawn. I can hear the coil whine when I start it and it's on the loading screen, but once the actual demo starts, the sounds goes away completely.

I'm guessing that the simplicity of the loading screen causes my fps to jump to something in the hundreds, and that's why I'm hearing it there.

When the card is under real load, I get no coil whine at all. I also don't get it during the loading screen if I turn on vsync either.

I've got an msi 970 btw.

Varg

Banned
anyone know of a good site to sell your old gpu at? Having a hard time off loading my 7970 so I can pick up a 970.

mkenyon

Banned
anyone know of a good site to sell your old gpu at? Having a hard time off loading my 7970 so I can pick up a 970.
It's because of your shit avatar. :p

this is in good humor, mostly.

HardForum, Overclock.net, Craigslist, ebay.

Gojeran

Woohoo!! As luck would have it I got my first choice of 970 after all, picked up the MSI G4 gaming and cancelled my Asus Strix.

Skyzard

Banned
Hm, it could be that I ran the few games I tested in borderless as I usually like to do this if available. Thanks for the heads up, I assumed it would hook regardless - will check it out tomorrow.

That would be it.

A bit annoying that.

paskowitz

Screw you Amazon. Just ordered a MSI GTX 970 TF from Newegg. Don't care if I had an Amazon credit. I am not waiting this long. Nope.

Top Bottom