• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

What High Performance does is always force the highest available power state. So it's not solving the problem really but bypassing it by always using the max boost clock.

Unfortunately the 'simple' solution, which actually isn't that simple, is to modify your BIOS and set higher voltages for all the lower power states individually so no matter what clock the card uses, it won't crash.

Thanks for the info. I don't know about modding my bios. Bypassing is good enough for me.

Fuck, is Newegg selling out of Gigabyte G1 Gaming cards? The price just jumped $10 to match the price of the EVGA FTW with a rebate and the Iron Egg Price Guarantee is gone.

I currently have two EVGA GTX 660 Superclocked cards in SLI. If I will be gaming in 1080p for the foreseeable future, would the 980 be overkill? Would the 970 still be a pretty big jump over the 660 SLI?

Terra

Decided to go for the GTX 980 GAMING from MSI. A nice christmas present for myself.
A huge upgrade from my Dual GPU GTX 295 from 2008. I now get 10200 points (total) in Firestrike. :)

I have decided to go the PC route instead of the new generation of console gaming. Not looking back now!

UnrealEck

I currently have two EVGA GTX 660 Superclocked cards in SLI. If I will be gaming in 1080p for the foreseeable future, would the 980 be overkill? Would the 970 still be a pretty big jump over the 660 SLI?

If you can afford the 980 go for it. For 1080p in almost every game currently out it's probably overkill. The only games where it's not overkill are games that are perhaps not particularly good at utilising resources as well as they could. But for games that are really well made on a technical level (like Crysis 3 for example), the 980 is going to do 60 FPS on very high settings with relative ease. If you're like me and want the best performance possible on a single card, it's worth it, if you want to max games out. 60 FPS at max settings in games isn't easy to do.

GHG

I have exactly the same but have the 3gb 660 cards.

A 970 will perform similarly (provided SLI works with the game in question) and a 980 will be about 20% better from what I've seen.

I've come to the conclusion that it's only going to be worth upgrading if I go 970 SLI. I'm yet to encounter a game that I can't get a minimum of 30fps locked with everything maxed out. In most cases its 60fps with everything maxed.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
I have exactly the same but have the 3gb 660 cards.

A 970 will perform similarly (provided SLI works with the game in question) and a 980 will be about 20% better from what I've seen.

I've come to the conclusion that it's only going to be worth upgrading if I go 970 SLI. I'm yet to encounter a game that I can't get a minimum of 30fps locked with everything maxed out. In most cases its 60fps with everything maxed.

Yep, but it seems sli and crossfire have been missing in a lot of games lately.

Far cry 4
Evil within
Dead rising 3
Wolfenstein
Metal gear Ground zeroes (Crossifre anyway)

:(

dave_d

Let's see, I got mine earlier in the week and did the firestrike benchmark. Here's the stats

Windows 8.1 (I wiped my machine and did a fresh install since Win7 was acting up badly.)

CPU I5-3570(Yes I know most people get the 3570k, I wasn't expecting to overclock
Zotac 970 no overclock.

Score 8641

Graphics Score10883

Physics Score6757

Combined Score4063

That's pretty much typical given my setup, right? (Definitely a step up from my 7850.)

alexdd

Neo Member
GAF, I am about to build a new gaming rig. Is the 980 worth a 200 € difference over the 970?

EDIT: for gaming @1080 60fps

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
It's very hard to justify.

Could of just answered with this:

VqKwvGr.png

;)

Rnr1224

Same here for me but my first time building a PC :)

Oh wow must be fun! I had a blast building my first one but mine was built on a budget. Now I have the money for upgrades! having a 7790 made me realize that 1 GB was not going to cut it for this generation of games. 970 should serve me much better!

Also want to know if i'll be able to get any use out of 430w PSU.

Here is my full list of parts:
FX-4130
MSI 970A-G43
8 GB DDR3 RAM
Corsair Builder 430w 80+ Bronze.

I'll do some testing on my card regardless and am prepared to order a higher wattage PSU if necessary, just wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has a similar configuration. PcPartPicker says i'll be getting about 370w so i'm guessing the 500w recommendation from Nvidia is for overhead.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
WNqdUpS.jpg

Stock voltage
110% power
+230 core
+300 memory

That'll do me for now, but I can go higher for sure. I absolutely love this card. MSI GTX 970 G4.

kaioshade

Why is the Reference 980 so bloody hard to find in a store? Local Frys and microcenter cant be arsed to stock the damned thing. All they have is the acx 2.0 which i do not want, nor need.

worthless.

Maybe slightly off topic, but I'm having a small issue... I have two monitors connected to my 970 G1, one of them is connected by both HDMI and DVI at the same time. Normally I'd just have them both on DVI but right now my sound system is broken so I'm using the headphone out from the monitor which only works through HDMI. But every time I put the computer to sleep the monitor and the drivers revert to DVI and I'd have to manually change the inputs and configure the sound again.

Is there a way to prevent that other than keeping the second DVI unplugged?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
what is the best 970 model to buy? i'm leaning towards an MSI or Asus.

also the PSU i'm looking to get has a quad 12v (20A) rail. i think the 970 needs 28A so how can i use multiple rails to give the GPU enough power? or should i get a single 12v rail PSU?

sorry if that's a stupid question. this will be my first pc to build myself so it's all new to me.

thanks!

belmonkey

what's the latest news on the 960

Supposedly it will actually be ~$200. As for the specs, not much concrete info seems to be known, except maybe a ~1GHz base clock and 6GHz memory; there's too much speculation about the rest of the specs to be sure about them. I think the very best to hope for is a 256-bit bus and 1280 shaders, which would probably comfortably put it above a 770 at stock, with lots of overclocking room to boot.

what is the best 970 model to buy? i'm leaning towards an MSI or Asus.

There is no best 970 model, each has slightly different features that appeal to different people. It depends on what features matter to you, your current/future setup/needs, budget, availability, etc. MSI and Asus are good, they're the quietest of the bunch.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
There is no best 970 model, each has slightly different features that appeal to different people. It depends on what features matter to you, your current/future setup/needs, budget, availability, etc. MSI and Asus are good, they're the quietest of the bunch.

this also might sound a bit stupid but...these cards are big and it looks like the kinda sag a little even when they are in place. is this an issue at all? or is it completely normal? i understand the ASUS has a metal back plate and the MSI doesn't.

does it really matter? cause i'm about to buy all the parts right now and after researching how to build a pc for hours/days/weeks ...it's now come down to an MSI or ASUS 970.

this also might sound a bit stupid but...these cards are big and it looks like the kinda sag a little even when they are in place. is this an issue at all? or is it completely normal? i understand the ASUS has a metal back plate and the MSI doesn't.

does it really matter? cause i'm about to buy all the parts right now and after researching how to build a pc for hours/days/weeks ...it's now come down to an MSI or ASUS 970.

No need to worry, they are built to withstand that.

wowzors

What's the ideal temp for a gtx 970 at idle. Am currently at 58-60C on an MSI gtx 970. Is that safe?

Thanks

That seems a bit high for idle. My gigabyte stays round 30-35 usually and hits 60 under a lot of load.

Edit: Ravijn bet me to it, same card same experience, maybe MSI runs hotter?

Ravijn

I wonder if he/she has the power profile in the Nvidia control panel set to 'prefer maximum performance' instead of 'adaptive'.

What's the ideal temp for a gtx 970 at idle. Am currently at 58-60C on an MSI gtx 970. Is that safe?

Thanks

I wonder if he/she has the power profile in the Nvidia control panel set to 'prefer maximum performance' instead of 'adaptive'.
Yep this. Check your idle clock. If set to adaptive your 970 core clock should idle at 135 Mhz and memclock at 162 Mhz.

Also, if your airflow is not good, it might increase the idle temp but as long as your load temp is not high then it's good.

Kayant

Well thanks gaf you saved my gpu :)

It was because it was on prefer maximum performance like Ravijn suggested. I blame my days of playing on integrated graphics :p

Thanks again. It's now running about 40C which isn't too bad I guess for my case(Fractal Design arc mini r2) and my room tending to being on the warm side.

vocab

Let's see, I got mine earlier in the week and did the firestrike benchmark. Here's the stats

Windows 8.1 (I wiped my machine and did a fresh install since Win7 was acting up badly.)

CPU I5-3570(Yes I know most people get the 3570k, I wasn't expecting to overclock
Zotac 970 no overclock.

Score 8641

Graphics Score10883

Physics Score6757

Combined Score4063

That's pretty much typical given my setup, right? (Definitely a step up from my 7850.)

Your physics score seems to be low. I'm honestly not sure if thats a normal number or not. Something you would have to compare in 3dmark with other users of the same specs.

My physics score with a I5-750 @ 3.7 was 6761
My physics score with a stock 4790k was 11943

Got my asus strix 970 yesterday. It ran pretty quite actually. Only complain i have so far is the lack of mini display port, had to find and switch back to dem ugly bulky DVI cables.

I did the benchmark firestrike and only get a score of 8700s something (probably limited by the CPU i7 950 stock?)

Azzurri

Why does Amazon suck at stocking both cards besides the gigabyte? I'd use them but the card is too long for my new case.

Nightz

Why does Amazon suck at stocking both cards besides the gigabyte? I'd use them but the card is too long for my new case.

I've heard this mentioned many times about the Gigabyte card. Is it really that long? Been thinking about getting one. Would it fit in a Define R4 case?

wowzors

I've heard this mentioned many times about the Gigabyte card. Is it really that long? Been thinking about getting one. Would it fit in a Define R4 case?

Remove the top drive bay cage and yes. (I have the same case)

Upside if you havent done this, lots more space for cable management.

Downside, rearranging your drives and wires :(

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Got one last week and it pretty much reaches across my entire case. Fortunately it fits in one of my slots as the other one has some hdd bays that block it meaning no sli for me unless I change to a new case. But yes for a standard atx size case make certain that one of your slots allows room for it from back to front.

Card is great though, the gigabyte fans and heat pipes seem to really keep it cool and under control in even the most demanding titles.

Nightz

Remove the top drive bay cage and yes. (I have the same case)

Upside if you havent done this, lots more space for cable management.

Downside, rearranging your drives and wires :(

Hmm, thanks for the info. Might be a hassle to rearrange stuff so I got some contemplating to do lol. My backup plan was the MSI.

Got one last week and it pretty much reaches across my entire case. Fortunately it fits in one of my slots as the other one has some hdd bays that block it meaning no sli for me unless I change to a new case. But yes for a standard atx size case make certain that one of your slots allows room for it from back to front.

Card is great though, the gigabyte fans and heat pipes seem to really keep it cool and under control in even the most demanding titles.
Yeah I've been using Gigabyte for a few years now. Had a 460 and currently a 670. Guess I gotta go back under the hood and see if I have the patience to make room for the card.

Got one last week and it pretty much reaches across my entire case. Fortunately it fits in one of my slots as the other one has some hdd bays that block it meaning no sli for me unless I change to a new case.

I know most people like to have two cards of the same model for sli, but they can be different ones as long as they're 970s. So you could get a shorter 2nd card and sli in your case, if you wanted.

I've had mine for over a month and still haven't played any games on it... FML :p

Top Bottom