• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

A thank you is in order to the people posting in this thread. Asking for a partial refund hadn't crossed my mind until I saw it discussed here.

I emailed Amazon this afternoon and they responded about an hour ago with a 30% refund. All hail Amazon (please ignore the questionable employee treatment, I'm a horrible person.)

-MD-

For the people that are getting approved for partial refunds from Amazon, are your orders over 30 days old?

Well, I contacted Newegg. I couldn't return my 970 due to cutting off the upc for a rebate. So I got a partial refund in a gift card for 10% of the video card's value. My order was from Nov. 29, 2014.
Kinda sucks their RMA department won't accept it once the UPC code is cut off and it voided the warranty lol. Sounds like bs on their end.

Bendoruu

Neo Member
French GAFers,

I've sent an e-mail to Rue du Commerce to see if I could get anything (bought the card during the Christmas Holiday Sales). Got the Gainward Phantom for 300€ during the sales. Could be a great deal if I can get a discount again.

I'll keep you informed.

Kezen

Banned
French GAFers,

I've sent an e-mail to Rue du Commerce to see if I could get anything (bought the card during the Christmas Holiday Sales). Got the Gainward Phantom for 300€ during the sales. Could be a great deal if I can get a discount again.

I'll keep you informed.

Already tried with Amazon.fr and no luck.
Worth a try though.

Bendoruu

Neo Member
They answered and are asking me to pinpoint the difference between what I ordered and what I received. I went to the card's page on the site and i'm pretty sure they modified the description.

Chipset GeForce GTX 970 Phantom
Fréquence du processeur 1152 MHz / 1304 MHz - 1664 cores
Fréquence de la mémoire 3500 MHz - 224 (GB/Sec)
Accessoires 1 CD d'installation, 1 manuel, 1 adaptateur DVI vers VGA, 1 cable d'alimentation
Type de mémoire 256bits GDDR5
Répartition VRAM 3584 Mo (224 bits) + 512 Mo (32 bits)

Pretty sure it wasn't this precise before. Any thought ?

They changed it on every sites, didn't know that. IF they modified it after I bought it I should have something. How can I prove it though.

LaneDS

They answered and are asking me to pinpoint the difference between what I ordered and what I received. I went to the card's page on the site and i'm pretty sure they modified the description.

Accessoires 1 CD d'installation, 1 manuel, 1 adaptateur DVI vers VGA, 1 cable d'alimentation

They changed it on every sites, didn't know that. IF they modified it after I bought it I should have something. How can I prove it though.

Not that it'd work, but I'd argue that nobody ever advertises videocards like that prior to this, so uh, that's pretty telling. Shitty they're trying to have you prove it.

Bendoruu

Neo Member
Ok, so I replied and said that they modified the description of the card after I bought it so they had to know about the issue. I copied/pasted the VRAM line and explained everything.

Their reply? "After investigation we don't see any anomalies in the product description".

They ignored everything I said.

I replied a bit more aggressively and with more details, asking them to stop eluding my points.

Damn I just wanted to see if I could get a small refund but now that they're bullshitting me and ignoring me it became personal.

gasp.gif

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Wow, Amazon gave me a full refund for my 970. I tried chat at first but the guy kept bsing me saying there was nothing he could do. Then I sent an email not expecting too much. I honestly did not expect to get anything. <3 Amazon.

Find the page on https://archive.org/ from before the edit.

Wow, Amazon gave me a full refund for my 970. I tried chat at first but the guy kept bsing me saying there was nothing he could do. Then I sent an email not expecting too much. I honestly did not expect to get anything. <3 Amazon.

Some people have all the luck.

Congrats on the free 970!

Bacon

And you don't have to return the card?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Guys, I highly doubt I'll get to keep the card. While the email response I got didn't mention anything about shipping it back, I fully expect a followup with a shipping label and everything.

Guys, I highly doubt I'll get to keep the card. While the email response I got didn't mention anything about shipping it back, I fully expect a followup with a shipping label and everything.

It wouldn't be unprecedented of Amazon to do that though. I've seen them give people (me included) full refunds for products without asking to send them back before. I haven't seen it done for something that costs $300+ though.

Amazon is awesome like that. But it's shitty that they have to eat the cost and not Nvidia.

harSon

Banned
I ended up buying one yesterday. It's hands down the best video card that both fits in my Alienware X51 R2 and can be powered with its PSU. I doubt anything releases in the near future that fits the bill, so I pulled the trigger.

I ended up buying one yesterday. It's hands down the best video card that both fits in my Alienware X51 R2 and can be powered with its PSU. I doubt anything releases in the near future that fits the bill, so I pulled the trigger.

New AMD stuff is rumored to be 300W so I'd say that's correct guess.

Anarckhy

Neo Member
Just talked with Newegg customer support via chat. Fast, simple, and easy. I just ranted about how I cannot max out games without using up all VRAM as it throttles performance. The representative offered me only a 10% partial refund as store credit which in my case is roughly ~$40. Really sucks tbh, but I'd take it over no refund. Should receive it via email within 48 hours. Took only about 2-3 minutes.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I'd say it's likely that Nvidia will announce their new flagship at GDC. On the other hand it might be a better idea to see what AMD have to offer first.

that seems too early for their next wave (unless it's just a Ti ). I'm hoping for 8GB 980 or 8Gb 980ti. and as someone who don't care about AMD because of very bad experience with them for year, I'll jump on next nvidia card(or if they show 8GB 980 one)

that seems too early for their next wave (unless it's just a Ti ). I'm hoping for 8GB 980 or 8Gb 980ti. and as someone who don't care about AMD because of very bad experience with them for year, I'll jump on next nvidia card(or if they show 8GB 980 one)

I get the impression that AMD is going to show "theirs" first and maybe force Nvidia's hand on their next flagship unveil.
We are going on now... what 5-6 months since 980 reveal? A card that performs in the same ball park as a card which was reveal 2 years ago?

Amazon.com > Help > Need More Help? > Contact Us > Find your order and item > Problem with an Order > Wrong item or not as expected > Item doesn&#8217;t match website description > E-mail

That&#8217;s the route I went.

OK that's what I did. I used chat a couple of days ago to no avail here's hoping email will work

thanks

Just got a 10% discount from Newegg in the form of credit not a gift card. Told them 10% was the lowest refund percent I had seen from all of the retailers and in particular Amazon. I will accept this but I will be buying my next video card from Amazon. Rep then offered credit instead of the gift card. Probably could have argued for 20% but I didn't want to push it. Still going with Amazon for all my pc components in the future though.

Korezo

Just got a 10% discount from Newegg in the form of credit not a gift card. Told them 10% was the lowest refund percent I had seen from all of the retailers and in particular Amazon. I will accept this but I will be buying my next video card from Amazon. Rep then offered credit instead of the gift card. Probably could have argued for 20% but I didn't want to push it. Still going with Amazon for all my pc components in the future though.

When did you buy your card?

Update. Apparently the rep made a mistake as the $10 credit to my card wasn't supposed to be a viable compensation option. She emailed me saying either a $35 store credit or I can ship the item back for full compensation in store credit. I didn't think the latter would be viable either because I don't have the original retail box nor accessories but it's not a problem in this case. I'm shipping it back and going to splurge on a next generation high end card when they come out.

Mairu

"1. If you're interested in keeping the item then I'd like to offer you a refund of $105.00, which is 30% off the price of the item. "

Amazon you da best

Pancakes

It wouldn't be unprecedented of Amazon to do that though. I've seen them give people (me included) full refunds for products without asking to send them back before. I haven't seen it done for something that costs $300+ though.

Amazon is awesome like that. But it's shitty that they have to eat the cost and not Nvidia.

So....Amazon credited me back $370.00 to my bank account and haven't sent a follow up with a return shipping label or anything. I feel kinda shitty now.

So....Amazon credited me back $370.00 to my bank account and haven't sent a follow up with a return shipping label or anything. I feel kinda shitty now.

Don't feel shitty. You just won the random Amazon Customer Service grand prize, it if it weren't you it would have been someone else. They knew what they're doing. Amazon's bottom line can take the hit, and it gains them goodwill and word of mouth marketing.

Again, congrats on the free 970 :)

Amazon gave me a 30% credit on top of my credit for the free game last November. Comes out to almost a $200 credit... Can't complain with that all.

solarus

Just wanna say that scan was amazing and I can see that the refund has appeared in my bank account today. I only had to phone them once and talk for like 3 minutes to get the return sorted.

XBP

If only Amazon Canada offered the same number of products as their US store, I'd get every single thing from them. Their support is by far the best in the business.

Ravijn

I finally got a response from Newegg..

"Thank you for contacting Newegg. &#8220;We understand you have been inconvenienced by this issue and we are trying to make things right and give you peace of mind about shopping with Newegg. Since you are not satisfied with your NVIDIA product, Newegg will waive the non-refundable return policy and offer you a full refund in the form of Newegg store credit since your original purchase is over 30 days. We value you as our customer and because of that, I am also going to provide a pre-paid UPS shipping label for your return at no charge. I can set this up for you now. When would you like to return the item?&#8221;

I'm going to see if I can swap it with a 980 and pay the difference.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I manage to haggle with Novatech to return my two 970s and upgrade to 980s instead at a discount. Very glad about this.

Top Bottom