• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nabbed the MSI 970 and I can't say I hear any obvious coil whine or fan issues. Seems pretty quiet actually.

I've got a GTX 970 by Gigabyte and I do not have coil whine glad fully.
Mine is factory OC'ed.
Tried it yesterday with Shadow of Mordor, and no problems with those nasty coil whine sounds.

Zafir

Haven't notice any on my end. Is this happening mostly with high FPS?

It happens during normal use(At 60FPS) when the game is very taxing on the card. In that circumstance it's more of a low pitched buzzing which can still be heard over my cpu and case fans. Gets higher pitched the higher framerate you go, until you get to the silly framerate levels where it gets really loud and screechy.

I have an MSI 970, the only times I've heard coil whine is in the 3dMark benchmarks that get real high (400+) fps. Benchmarks that should tax the card just as hard, or even harder (Unigine Heaven/Valley or 3dMark Fire Strike), but just don't run at such high FPS, don't cause any coil whine. MSI afterburner indicates GPU usage to be 99% during all of these tests.

So it really seems to be something that is caused by extremely high framerates.

I have an MSI 970, the only times I've heard coil whine is in the 3dMark benchmarks that get real high (400+) fps. Benchmarks that should tax the card just as hard, or even harder (Unigine Heaven/Valley or 3dMark Fire Strike), but just don't run at such high FPS, don't cause any coil whine. MSI afterburner indicates GPU usage to be 99% during all of these tests.

High framerates do make it more audible, but it's also possible to hear in 2d or vsync 3d on some 'bad' cards.

garath

Order placed for the Gigabyte G1 970 through Amazon. Now for the long long wait.

Alternatively, I may decide to say screw it and go with the MSI. I bet that would ship quicker.

Grief.exe

Your GPU is just working harder to render those frames, therefore running the fan as high as possible to reduce the heat.

Dave_6

Anyone recommend a good overclocking guide? I want to give it a go with my G1 970 and I've never OC'd a GPU before.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Anyone recommend a good overclocking guide? I want to give it a go with my G1 970 and I've never OC'd a GPU before.

As long as you don't disable the safeguards in EVGA Precision X or MSI Afterburner it's hard to do any permanent damage. For starters, up the Power Target and up the Core Clock speed. Play some games, benchmark, see how it holds up.

Here are some OC results from Bit-Tech that detail what they did to achieve them: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review/12

I am genuinely stuck as far as what non reference 980 I am going to get, I want the highest overclocking potential with good air cooling but this coil whine stuff isn't sounding good at all and lots of people are complaining about it.

Have you sold your GTX690 already? I'm close to letting mine go but am still waiting to see if they release a GTX990 as a true replacement.

Your GPU is just working harder to render those frames, therefore running the fan as high as possible to reduce the heat.

Hmm the fans make a different sound than the coil whine, and while my ears aren't all that great any more, I can definitively hear any coil whine over the sound the fans make when they're blowing at max speed. It probably is still there when running the more demanding games/benchmarks/demos, just not as loud as when it renders at high framerates.

I have no knowledge about the internal working of this card, but it would seem a bit odd to me that the card would use more current at higher framerates (with scenes that are easier to render), than at lower framerates (with scenes that are hard to render). In both scenarios the GPU usage is ~100% and the fans are blowing as hard as they can. Unless for example the component that is responsible for 'flipping' (for a lack of a better word) the framebuffer is the cause of the noise, or drains a lot of current when having to do a lot of work.

Here is an example of coil whine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc

The noise isn't caused by the fan, GPUs don't heat up or cool down that fast. If you have it like in this video, turn vsync on and/or cap the framerate.

You can also put hot glue on the coils so they can't vibrate, but you'd probably need to remove the heat sink to reach it.

bj00rn_

Banned

Yup, that's exactly the noise that drove me crazy about the old Asus 660 Ti card I had. It was mind-bendingly intense even though it's wasn't that loud. And as I wrote, my MSI 970 has none of this, it's completely silent. But, as was kind mentioned in the youtube-video; there's actually a chance my coil whining Asus 660 Ti card might had been quiet in somebody elses machine..

So what are the chances of Nvidia releasing cards with more than 4GB of VRam in 2015? Reasonable? Currently got a 2GB 770, want to wait for a more substantial leap before upgrading. The whole situation with Shadow Of Mordor was pushing me to upgrade, until I played it and found out that it actually runs pretty damn well (1080p/60FPS with some settings turned down).

garath

So what are the chances of Nvidia releasing cards with more than 4GB of VRam in 2015? Reasonable? Currently got a 2GB 770, want to wait for a more substantial leap before upgrading. The whole situation with Shadow Of Mordor was pushing me to upgrade, until I played it and found out that it actually runs pretty damn well (1080p/60FPS with some settings turned down).

There was a rumor from one pub (overclockersUK) that we'd see 8gig versions of the 900s from some manufacturers come Nov/Dec. But this was mentioned quite some time ago. I don't think there's been any mention since.

Not yet, am about to over the next few days though, I was going to wait but the way I figure is if I need to upgrade in the next 12 months I will drop down for another 980 and go sli.

I was going to wait but the 980 right now seems too good to pass up considering all the problems I have been having with SLI recently also VRAM is becoming quite a big bottleneck for the 690 don't you think?

Yea, the VRAM stuff is kind of a bummer considering the GTX690 is still a beast. But when I really think about the recent games that have the high requirements, the difference from high to ultra textures isn't even that noticeable, if I am being completely honest with myself.

I just want a card that blows the GTX690 out of the water, and the 980 doesn't really do that IMO.

derExperte

Has someone else had the problem with his MSI 970 that one fan suddenly ramps up to full speed but the other one stays off while in game but with barely any load and heat? Gets much louder than when both turn on like they should during demanding gameplay, happened two times here now, very weird.

Okay, found this: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183618.0 Seems to be a widespread issue, probably a bug in the card's BIOS. :/ I'll test https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183618.msg1318473#msg1318473 later.

MSI responded and they're saying that maybe it's the sticker you have pull off the first fan: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183618.msg1318906#msg1318906

But then someone has a video of a card where the other fan doesn't spin. So basically no one knows anything.

Guess I'll wait a while before exchanging my card until this is sorted out, couldn't get another one right now anyway.

Nabbed the MSI 970 and I can't say I hear any obvious coil whine or fan issues. Seems pretty quiet actually.

I noticed 'my' fan problem only after a few days and it seems to depend on the game, happens regularly when playing Payday 2 but not in Ethan Carter for example.

BLunted

Banned
I got a EVGA GTX 980 and am not having any issues at all. It's actually more quiet than the GTX 680 classified I moved up from.

garath

MSI responded and they're saying that maybe it's the sticker you have pull off the first fan: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183618.msg1318906#msg1318906

But then someone has a video of a card where the other fan doesn't spin. So basically now one knows anything.

Guess I'll wait a while before exchanging my card until this is sorted out, couldn't get another one right now anyway.

Ouch. That sucks.

The cards in general seem like a bit of a lottery right now. The only one I haven't read much about having issues are the Asus cards but maybe that's just because less people have purchased it? Not sure.

I'm tempted to try out the Asus anyways as it's $20 cheaper than the Gigabyte and I think the Gigabyte is so popular I'm going to be waiting a month or more for my card :(

I know what you mean, the VRAM stuff is a minor problem to be honest (however one that will become more of an issue over the next 12 months I think) it's the recent lack of sli profiles and poor scaling on numerous titles that really gets to me, I think I just want to move from the 690 as I think a single card will give me less hassle in the long run.

However I have no problem with SLI like I said, I think if I get desperate for performance I will drop another 980 in there, I would just like to have the option of having the 690 power in a single card without the need for sli bits.

The lack of SLI profiles for titles that blatantly display nvidia logos and such at launch is really unacceptable. The community usually finds acceptable bits, but nvidia really needs to be proactive with these titles.

Addnan

Any reviews of the AMP Extreme edition? Think that has the highest clock speeds out of the box of all the 970s so far.

Ehh... lol. Some weird stuff going on with DSR and SLI. It was working for me... Now I have switched to my new Gsync screen and it has stopped working in SLI. DSR only with single card.

Salty Hippo

Anybody know where I can find a noob step by step guide to install this card? Or maybe you guys can help me? I did everything my basic intuition told me to. Connected it in the slot, screwed it firmly on the case, plugged the 8 pin pci-e cable from my psu into the card... and when I turn everything on, nothing appears, although the card does light up the WINDFORCE led. What the hell?

My monitor is one of those old VGA ones, maybe that's why? I can't connect it to the card, but I did plug an HDMI cable from my TV into the card and still nothing appeared. What can I do?

Addnan

Anybody know where I can find a noob step by step guide to install this card? Or maybe you guys can help me? I did everything my basic intuition told me to. Connected it in the slot, screwed it firmly on the case, plugged the 8 pin pci-e cable from my psu into the card... and when I turn everything on, nothing appears, although the card does light up the WINDFORCE led. What the hell?

My monitor is one of those old VGA ones, maybe that's why? I can't connect it to the card, but I did plug an HDMI cable from my TV into the card and still nothing appeared. What can I do?
Did you also plug in the 6pin?

Salty Hippo

Did you also plug in the 6pin?

No, but there wasn't a 6 pin in my psu... I think. I mean, there are two identical plugs that say PCI-E, both of them divided into 6 and 2 pins. Should I connect the 6 bit from the other plug into the slot and ignore the 2?

There is also a cable with with a one piece 8pin connector, but 2 of them are hollow. I don't think they connect direct into the card, I figured it's just an adapter of some sort.

Curse the manuals on these things, couldn't be more vague.

No, but there wasn't a 6 pin in my psu... I think. I mean, there are two identical plugs that say PCI-E, both of them divided into 6 and 2 pins. Should I connect the 6 bit from the other plug into the slot and ignore the 2?

There is also a cable with with a one piece 8pin connector, but 2 of them are hollow. I don't think they connect direct into the card, I figured it's just an adapter of some sort.

Curse the manuals on these things, couldn't be more vague.

yea you should. you need a total of 14 pins to power these babies.

Salty Hippo

yea you should. you need a total of 14 pins to power these babies.

Did it. Now I can hear the PC actually turning on and loading Windows, but I still get no display. My monitor is connected to my mobo via VGA and my TV to the GPU via HDMI. What am I missing? If I remove the GPU the monitors turns on normally.

It's a Gigabyte G1 btw.

pfkas

Took delivery of a msi 980 today, haven't had long to play with it but basically pushed it a bit with intensive games and benchmarks. As an up/sidegrade from a 690, I'm pretty pleased. Able to put everything on Ultra and silly AA and still get good fps, particularly on Watchdogs which I wasn't able to get near with the 690. No noise, damn quiet actually.

Ziffles

Did it. Now I can hear the PC actually turning on and loading Windows, but I still get no display. My monitor is connected to my mobo via VGA and my TV to the GPU via HDMI. What am I missing? If I remove the GPU the monitors turns on normally.

It's a Gigabyte G1 btw.
Check if you're in the DVI-D port, which doesn't spit out VGA. You want DVI-I.

Top Bottom