• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVidia passed on providing console GPUs due to purchase price, opportunity cost

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I guess that's where we'll have to agree to disagree. I expect the PS4 will reserve a bare minimum of 1GB for the OS and core system, likely 2GB though.

It was rumored to be 512mb when they were targeting 4gb of RAM. I think the reserve will be increased in case they want to add features now that they have more RAM to work with but I can't see it being any more than 1gb max.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I love spamming SALT everywhere, but this is not the time to do it.

As others said AMD most likely had to cut a much more attractive deal because of their finances. The opportunity cost probably wasn't worth it for nVidia. They'd rather direct their attention towards Tegra, and maybe the next generation of mid-range PC cards... yeah right :'[

Perhaps Nvidia simply didn´t have an APU in their portfolio that matched Sonys requirement as well as the upcoming APUs of AMD?

Maybe Nvidia would have to put way more engineering hours into a console APU than what AMD had to?

spwolf

Perhaps Nvidia simply didn´t have an APU in their portfolio that matched Sonys requirement as well as the upcoming APUs of AMD?

Maybe Nvidia would have to put way more engineering hours into a console APU than what AMD had to?

its not perhaps but for sure... Nvidia had not product to offer at all... AMD had perfect product close by.

Spending a billion for some crazy 16 core A15 SoC that couldnt be used anywhere else probably was never an option at all. Cost of doing that would be huge and there are no benefits to be found at all.

So people assuming AMD didnt make anything on this deal due to being "desperate" are being silly. AMD had no competition at all.

Do the people calling salt here not know that AMD has basically been teetering on the edge of bankruptcy while nVidia's doing just fine?

Beggars can't be choosers.

Nvidia is stretching it's legs into more lucrative markets currently than bottom barrel bids from console manufacturers.

That they settled on an AMD APU says all you need to know about the silicon budget for these machines.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Flamebait article/thread title. What he is saying is that he believes AMD was selected because they underbid Nvidia, not because of a major advantage in processing power.

Reasonable thinking like this won't really matter in these sorts of threads I'm afraid, especially with platform warz heating up again. :/

Pretty obvious Nvidia wasn't coming cheap to Micro or Sony. Amd must have given the console manufacturers a deal they couldn't resist. AMD needs to do anything they can to be relevant (look at stocks).

NVIDIA: we can give u a gpu for $100 a chip

AMD: we can give you a gpu AND a cpu on the same die for $100 a chip

NVIDIA never stood a chance. I dont even think they were ever an option for MS or Sony.

Top Bottom