• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zelda getting delayed to 2017 makes it really obvious that NX was planned for 2016 until very recently.

Yeah. Part of me admires the "it was Q1 2017 all along*" crowd for such consistently counterintuitive logic, but none of those arguments make much sense to me.

*well, a lot of them insisted it'd be Q4 2017 until today, but that's besides the point

Er, that's not what the phrase "by the end of the year" means. Also, wrong link.

You can't reveal hardware only three or four months in advance of launch. There's no precedent for that and I see no reason to believe it's possible.

F3Ph2Zm.jpg

Kashimima head on hers please

Ponn

Banned
What rumor?

Was a rumor pointed out in the other NX thread. I'll save you the trouble, its not confirmed hence "rumor" so there isn't going to be citations and if anyone is the type that needs hard citations go ahead and disbelieve it now. For me where theres smoke theres fire along with its a totally Nintendo type move. I'm sure every third party dev doesn't have 3D printers to make their own dev kits.

If they are banking on Zelda to be the game people get NX for, why are they dedicating nearly their entire E3 plans to showing off the Wii U version?

Whats the big difference in saying one is Wii U and one is NX? If they are releasing at the same time hype for one version is hype for the other. They know or are banking on current Wii U owners to get a NX, at worst they don't buy it at launch and end up getting the new Zelda twice when they eventually buy a NX.

Vena

I think we can suss out what's happened here with some supposition and some tie-ins to the rumors we've heard floating around from more reputable people with some connections. I think the NX 2017 result is from a domino effect of events that simply put the launch in 2017 as a better proposition for consistency than the 2016 Holiday launch. This seems to be a move done entirely for momentum conservation in the long run rather than the short term affects of the holidays.

----

If you recall, not long ago Zhuge had been hearing of a potential staggered release schedule for the different regions for the NX. That is to say certain markets were to see it before others, and one would think this is because of production concerns and simple feasibility of time-tables for full production runs to be able to feed the markets. We also had the internal NoA leak which most definitely had Zelda and NX pegged for this year in the states. So there was very much an expectation internally (at least early on in the year) for the NX to hit the 2016 holiday for North America at least. Potentially, Japan would have seen it later on and Europe may well have launched in unison with the States or later with Japan. In that time frame we also had heard little to nothing on the handheld variant which many expected to hit Japan.

At a glance, it isn't unreasonable to conclude that production in hardware may well have played a major role in this delay but this is only part of the story. (You can believe 14nm delays as a reason if you wish.)

The next set of rumors revolved around software and, potentially, trouble in development with certain ports (SMM, Splatoon). Zelda has also now been delayed into 2017 citing Q&A and improvements in such. Factor in this tweet, and I suspect something on the software end got shaken up. They most definitely made a concious decision to remove all NX software from this E3 when the NX launch for 2016 fell through.

With SDKs at least out in the wild, it is also possible that software from outside parties also was simply not shaping up in time just yet but I am focusing purely on internal machinations.

----

The reason I believe they aren't bringing anything NX or NX software to E3 is a simple one: they want it to be shown in one set and not in split sessions. Any software specifically for the NX won't be shown without the NX, Zelda is the only title that is left that can be shown in any fashion without compromising whatever it is that Nintendo wishes to keep close to the chest with the NX or muddying the message with long pauses in information (with regards to the new system). This E3 is going to be one focused on Zelda and the last of the Hurrahs for the WiiU, and then the various swathes of 3DS software and localizations still coming in which will/should hold the holidays on the handheld end at least.

Now if we put all these rumors together, I think the story is a simple one that Kimishima somewhat touches upon with his "waiting on games" but its only half of the tale. I think that, when Zelda hit Q&A issues and hardware development was not reaching full capacity for a 2016 worldwide launch, that corporate looked at the situation and found it better to delay everything into early 2017 then launch partially in 2016 both in terms of software availability and worldwide presence. The "waiting on games" message is also one that I do not see focusing on launch but being a more long-run statement about making sure that the launch year is actually scheduled with most software well into Q&A or finalizing development rather than all in development or otherwise.

As noted at the start, I think a bunch of extenuating circumstances have resulted in this transition, and that Kimishima+corporate have decided it best to sacrifice the holiday for a clear message in late 2016 for launch in 2017 with a defined software schedule, worldwide presence, and software to carry launch momentum past two months (ala WiiU).

Actually is sounds like they won't unveil it until November time. Makes sense then not to be at E3 if they have to wait so long. They're just not ready by E3

If they're not showing it until November, it means either the whole thing will leak before they show it or they won't have third party games ready at launch.

So fellow Nintendo fans, does Nintendo have something planned with NX that will bring them back after Wiiu or are we just blinded by nostalgia?

Im starting to think is the latter. Mistake after mistake after the og Wii came out and them seem to get worse. ONE game at E3?! Seriously?

You can't reveal hardware only three or four months in advance of launch. There's no precedent for that and I see no reason to believe it's possible.
Ok. It's not like any of us know. And just because there isn't precedent doesn't mean it can't be done. It can be September or August or November. We don't know.

Pachinko

Hundreds of you guys have said it but I will also eat my proverbial hat if the NX is really aiming for a release this fiscal year. I just don't see a whirlwind announcement , reveal , games showcase all in 3-4 months.

As for Zelda ? It's probably only 50-60% done and flat out needs another 12 months + of development time put into it. Just a year ago we all read the news about "hey we found out some really awesome things we can add so we kind of restarted". Nintendo literally can't let the NX fail. The pathetic wii U user base isn't big enough to justify releasing Zelda there either.

Mory Dunz

Emily rogers tweet:
And did I mention that NX will get the superior version of Smash Bros U? Because it is. That's one of the NX ports in development.

what's superior suppsoed to mean? Include all the DLC. If so, I'm not sure that's superior since it's all available for wii u, but just cheaper. And I doubt the graphics could get touched up much. It's already 1080p/60. I think to make it look substantially better, they need better shaders and better character models which is a lot more work than it's worth for a quick port.

Smash being a port is probably the least exciting imo. Something like Splatoon or other 720 games getting a resolution bump would yield easier results in looking better.

Zelda getting delayed to 2017 makes it really obvious that NX was planned for 2016 until very recently.

Why?

Will Zelda even be a launch title? They didn't spefically say did they? At this point nothing would surprise me. It could even be delayed again to christmas.

Maybe the NX was delayed because there wasn't jack for it.

Hundreds of you guys have said it but I will also eat my proverbial hat if the NX is really aiming for a release this fiscal year. I just don't see a whirlwind announcement , reveal , games showcase all in 3-4 months.

And you shouldn't, because the reveal will probably be 5-7 months ahead of launch, not 3-4.

Peterc

Emily rogers tweet:

what's superior suppsoed to mean? Include all the DLC. If so, I'm not sure that's superior since it's all available for wii u, but just cheaper. And I doubt the graphics could get touched up much. It's already 1080p/60. I think to make it look substantially better, they need better shaders and better character models which is a lot more work than it's worth for a quick port.

Smash being a port is probably the least exciting imo. Something like Splatoon or other 720 games getting a resolution bump would yield easier results in looking better.

Why?

Will Zelda even be a launch title? They didn't spefically say did they? At this point nothing would surprise me. It could even be delayed again to christmas.

Lol, dont trust her anymore.

By "superior" she almost certainly means that it will be the flagship version of the game.

Do you really think Nintendo just decided that Zelda is going to come to NX recently? People correctly suspected that this was going to happen the minute it was no longer a "priority" to release it in 2015.

They announced that Zelda Wii U will release simultaneously with Zelda NX.

With how little support Wii U is getting, with all the writing on the wall that Nintendo is putting all their eggs in the NX basket going forward, with the way that they're banking hard on playable Zelda at E3 this year, do you really think they're going to release a Zelda game on Wii U any later than at NX launch?

Er, that's not what the phrase "by the end of the year" means. Also, wrong link.

I should had been more specific. By saying "late 2016" I didn't specifically mean by the year's end. I mean more in the general Q3/Q4 period. The fall period suggestion was more in line with what I was expecting.

Also, apologies for the wrong link (will update original post). This was the page I meant to source.

Matbtz

Emily rogers tweet:

I also think the NX was planned for 2016 because of Zelda Wii U. It's clear that you want it to be in the launch window if not a launching game. The fact that they said Zelda 2016 on wii U not too long ago shows that the NX was planned for this year. If not why the hell delay the game just after saying it's for 2016.

Vena

It is two fold, I think both things weren't quite ready and so everything has been delayed. Zelda is their most expensive project ever and that thing needs to be a home-run for the NX in general.

Better to launch ready than to launch half-baked... for once.

Now the question is when is their planned reveal and how late into the year is it? Surely its not a week after E3.

Bolded is false. They haven't announced anything about the timeframe for the NX reveal beyond that it'll be at some point after E3, and October is about the absolute latest they can reveal it if the March date sticks.

It'll be September latest I think. TGS is in September and no doubt a lot of new 3rd party games will be announced at the time from Japanese developers. I'd imagine Nintendo would want to get the NX reveal out of the way so that 3rd parties can talk about any support they're offering at TGS at the end of that month.

Markoman

Sadly thought this would be the case. I don't think Nintendo will ever get their "A game" back, because they just don't understand the console market anymore and don't compete.
To me at this point, it's better for me if NX bombs, and it probably will. Them being 3rd party seems more attractive to me at this point. They should just focus on what they're good at.
Only sad thing is handhelds may die if Nintendo leaves the console space,but I would think Sony would tap into that.

Just the Wii U having a 4 year gen, just not good enough and I don't think it would help them when the mass audience sees that and Nintendo expect them to jump to NX? Nintendo just don't deserve a free pass, I feel they need a "we're back" moment, but I don't think they will, they probably couldn't, I can't see 3rd parties being close to them like they are with PS and Xbox now.

This is exactly how I feel. I will never spend 300$ on a Nintendo console for 4 games again. I'm too old for that shit. Yes, and I'm also not pessimistic about a Nintendo only doing games, peripherals and handhelds in the future. In the end Nintendo is just a company, this is not Santa's Elfen workshop.

Whether or not Sony's Neo plans have something to do with the NX (which I firmly believe) - Sony's move is a very aggressive one especially for Nintendo. This is the end game. One of the current competitors will leave the console game in the next 5 years. Avatar bet.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Frankly, this just makes Nintendo seem inept. It's a good thing the 3DS is still chugging along because the Wii U retail line-up for the rest of the year is a complete joke.

Daft Punk

Banned
So fellow Nintendo fans, does Nintendo have something planned with NX that will bring them back after Wiiu or are we just blinded by nostalgia?

Im starting to think is the latter. Mistake after mistake after the og Wii came out and them seem to get worse. ONE game at E3?! Seriously?

Wii U was the last system I bought around the launch period and after this, I'm done buying Nintendo systems day one. I'm going do like everyone else and wait a year after to see what's it like instead of getting suckered in.

Mory Dunz

So what I don't get is:

Aren't they going to have an event a month or two later revealing the NX?

Are they saying thir 3D Mario, New IP, Port, etc, won't even be in a state to have a trailer in June? But magically they'll be good to showcase in a month or two at NX reveal? It's not like all these games need demos by E3. And a few months won't make that much of a difference in terms of just revealing a game. That's why it's weird to me for NX to not be at E3. Maybe they're waiting on third parties or something and don't want to have an empty reel?

They did. They specifically said the Wii U version of Zelda will launch alongside the NX version.

That doesn't mean it'll come in march.

By "superior" she almost certainly means that it will be the flagship version of the game.

what's flagship mean? All DLC included like i mentioned before?

Do you really think Nintendo just decided that Zelda is going to come to NX recently? People correctly suspected that this was going to happen the minute it was no longer a "priority" to release it in 2015.

when did I say that?

I said maybe both zelda and NX are 2017 because they are both not in a state to come out, inconsequential of the other. Hence, zelda might not even make march. Who knows at this point.

They announced that Zelda Wii U will release simultaneously with Zelda NX.

again, how do we know that this release day is at NX's release? I hope and expect it will. But after all the delays, I'm kinda eh.

edit:
dang, quotes are messed up.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Frankly, this just makes Nintendo seem inept. It's a good thing the 3DS is still chugging along because the Wii U retail line-up for the rest of the year is a complete joke.

Actually wouldn't Nintendo appear more inept if they released the NX without solid lineup of games to go along with it?

Is there anything to read into this quote:

Respected Japanese paper Nikkei asked Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima what kind of game machine the NX was. “At this current stage, I’m not able to say,” Kimishima replied. “However, it’s not merely the successor to the handheld 3DS or stationary console Wii U. This will be hardware that’s been made with a new way of thinking. I’d like to announce more particulars regarding its specs and how it works another time this year.”

I know Iwata said repeatedly that it wouldn't be a hybrid, but things have changed with his passing and that quote sounds hybrid-esque. Not "merely" a "handheld" OR "stationary console."

Sucks we have to wait so long to even no what the NX hardware is in general.
What is he even saying? What the fuck is it then? A magical jewel? I'm so confused.

It's just really vague and doesn't give any tangible idea on what to expect. What he's describing could be literally anything IMO. Kinda wish he left it at the "I can't talk about the NX now" bit.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's just really vague and doesn't give any tangible idea on what to expect. What he's describing could be literally anything IMO. Kinda wish he left it at the "I can't talk about the NX now" bit.

One thing is for certain though, it's not going to be just a box with a conventional controller.

Which leads me to believe they are going to shoot for some innovative new control idea again.

Vena

It might well have been the least bad option, but that doesn't mean we can't fault Nintendo for putting themselves in a position where they had to delay it.

As I noted above in my long-winded mess of a post, I think they delayed it for more reason than software. If hardware delays were involved then that's potentially out of their hands if they went with much more modern designs that are simply not production ready on a massive scale. As was noted before, there were already rumors circling of a staggered release worldwide for different markets, so I don't think its much a of stretch at all to say that software AND hardware concerns led to this delay.

They had seemingly every intention to launch this year in North America but realities made the delay seem like a better idea all around. It may even be cost/price related for launch if their hardware is on 14nm.

Better for them to launch in unison, worldwide with a known schedule for the entirety of the year than to repeat the WiiU and launch in holiday and have no software after two months. This seems like a very deliberate move on multiple circumstances, rather than a move on "our hands are tied".

But Polaris and Zen wouldn't be ready earlier!

Zen wouldn't be ready until late 2017.

mrchad

As for Zelda ? It's probably only 50-60% done and flat out needs another 12 months + of development time put into it. Just a year ago we all read the news about "hey we found out some really awesome things we can add so we kind of restarted". Nintendo literally can't let the NX fail. The pathetic wii U user base isn't big enough to justify releasing Zelda there either.

If I had to guess I would say that the Wii U version of Zelda is probably pretty far along and would be ready for a late 2016 release. They are delaying it because NX (or, more specifically, NX launch titles) won't be ready until March 2017. Zelda NX will have more of an impact and push more systems if it debuts at launch as a new game and not as a remaster of 3-6 month old Wii U game.

trutrutru

This could be for the best if it means the extra time will allow them to put out a machine closer to the ps4k in spec. I also hope its designed to be upgradable some how. Like a docks where you can add extra processing or gpu power. And all games are should be built with the standard version in mind. With patched upgrades only affecting fps or resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom