• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Pau

Meeting up for board games and drinks might be nice. My boyfriend and I are trying to find a good group to play with regularly but so far meetup.com and the like haven't really resulted in quality people or folks with the same interests.

I met the Gambinos. Not even joking.
D:

My family has had enough experience with mafiosos and shit in this lifetime.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I thought you and Kark moved, Pau?

Makai

Meeting up for board games and drinks might be nice. My boyfriend and I are trying to find a good group to play with regularly but so far meetup.com and the like haven't really resulted in quality people or folks with the same interests.
I walked by this place today:

http://werewolfclub.com/

Looks like a free club for playing board games.

Pau

I thought you and Kark moved, Pau?
Nope. :eek:

We went back to Miami for the holidays, but we're still in NYC. Will be staying here until I finish my undergrad at the very least. So a year more.

I walked by this place today:

http://werewolfclub.com/

Looks like a free club for playing board games.
We've been there before but not on game nights. I'll ask Kark if he wants to give it a shot, although it's a bit far.

Jhoan

I would totally be down with a board game meet up idea since that sounds incredibly fun. I'm brainstorming for a few meet up ideas that don't involve hitting up bars and ending up in a fast food place at 4AM. Hell, even rotate organizers on a regular basis like we used to do in the past; I'm going to kickstart the first one. Looking to shoot for February to organize the meet up in question, the week after Valentine's Day. Given the influx of new GAF members that have moved into the city in the past few months, it's as good as ever to finally end the hiatus. It's one of the few reasons I'm still on this forum.

I'm also looking to start a local NeoGAF Notebook project that would pass through all 5 boroughs and parts of Long Island if need be. The catch would that it would have to be passed in person to the next person as opposed to mailing it out. I don't know what the end goal would be other than to either randomly raffle it off to a participants once the entries are in, send it out to EviLore's way, or some other idea.

Slight tangent bit of news going on around the city:

-We finally got our first two medical marijuana dispensaries with one right here in the city in Union Square (watch tourists take a shit ton of selfies in front of this place). Sadly it's incredibly pedestrian and has strict regulations compared to that of our West Coast and Colorado bretheren because you can't smoke it in any shape or form. You can inject it, you can vape it, or you can take a pill but need to show proof.
-The eyesore that is Penn Station is officially getting a long due overhaul thanks our lovely old guv Cuomo. The massive post office across the street from MSG/Penn Station is also going to benefit.
-Similarly, that lovely old convention center that hosts events such as the New York Travel Show, Stream Con, the New York Auto Show, and the behemoth that is New York Comic Con is getting a $1 billion dollar renovation to be split between the Javits Center and us taxpayers. I dunno which one is going to be more modern between the Boston Convention and the Javits Center but yeah, this is a big deal with Hudson Yards continuing to develop the hell out of the West Side highway area.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I think I'll start lurking this thread. I grew up in Co-Op City, in the Bronx. I've been away a long time, but in my heart I'm always going to be a New Yorker.

I would totally be down with a board game meet up idea since that sounds incredibly fun. I'm brainstorming for a few meet up ideas that don't involve hitting up bars and ending up in a fast food place at 4AM. Hell, even rotate organizers on a regular basis like we used to do in the past; I'm going to kickstart the first one. Looking to shoot for February to organize the meet up in question, the week after Valentine's Day. Given the influx of new GAF members that have moved into the city in the past few months, it's as good as ever to finally end the hiatus. It's one of the few reasons I'm still on this forum.

I'm also looking to start a local NeoGAF Notebook project that would pass through all 5 boroughs and parts of Long Island if need be. The catch would that it would have to be passed in person to the next person as opposed to mailing it out. I don't know what the end goal would be other than to either randomly raffle it off to a participants once the entries are in, send it out to EviLore's way, or some other idea.

Hi Jipan, new to GAF but would love to pop by if welcome =) even if it ends up a small group number it'd be nice to drop in.

thanks!

Jhoan

Hi Jipan, new to GAF but would love to pop by if welcome =) even if it ends up a small group number it'd be nice to drop in.

thanks!

I dunno how different things would be but usually it's like 10-25 peeps at most with a mix of regulars and newbies dropping in and out. All kinds of people are welcome since we've had GAF members from abroad come out and join us. We haven't seen EviLore meet up numbers in ages since loads of lurkers came out in droves that night. At least 80-100 people dropped in and out of The Gaf that night before we hopped to Latitude.

In a future far, far away I would loved to see Toronto GAF and NYC GAF collide since I have massive respect for Soultron and met a few of them during PAX East. Their gatherings of late look fun.

Yeah, definitely venture out of the Times Square area. Use Uber to get to nice meals out of that neighborhood if you don't want to take the subway/cabs.

Yeah someone turned me onto to Uber, I'll definitely use that.

Were going to park on the Jersey side and take the Port Imperial Ferry over then shuttle to the hotel. This seemed like the best option for us.

I'm in Brooklyn but work in Manhattan, I actually really like living in Brooklyn, feels like a home base after being in the city all day and I love my neighborhood

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
so we need

-Feb meet up
-some sort of board game night

also, Gov Ball line up just dropped... looks super dope so anyone going to that should also try to meet up and roll face or whatever

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
-Similarly, that lovely old convention center that hosts events such as the New York Travel Show, Stream Con, the New York Auto Show, and the behemoth that is New York Comic Con is getting a $1 billion dollar renovation to be split between the Javits Center and us taxpayers. I dunno which one is going to be more modern between the Boston Convention and the Javits Center but yeah, this is a big deal with Hudson Yards continuing to develop the hell out of the West Side highway area.

Hrz0YNR.jpg

Holey moley. Wonder how long this expansion is going to take.

Penguin

SIGH

I know it's needed... but working literally between MGS and Javitz... I'm just dreading all the additional construction

ARGH

diffusionx

Gold Member
SIGH

I know it's needed... but working literally between MGS and Javitz... I'm just dreading all the additional construction

ARGH

Don't worry, it's never gonna happen.

I fully expect to be walking through the same Penn Station in 30 years. I'll grab a pint at Kabooz for old time's sake.

Kisaya

Why are these renovations needed though? It'll look really nice, but they should use the investment in other projects (like public transit lines).

Nice! I used to live next door in Clinton Hill. I loved that area.

Why did you leave? Honestly (probably really biased) I can't think of a better place, almost like exactly how I'd imagine living in BK would be before moving here. Really prefer it over Williamsburg, which I like going to just for the bars

Why did you leave? Honestly (probably really biased) I can't think of a better place, almost like exactly how I'd imagine living in BK would be before moving here. Really prefer it over Williamsburg, which I like going to just for the bars
I can't imagine living in Williamsburg anymore. It's become like a theme park.

Park slope is full of rich yuppies but it still has people rather than characters.

Top Bottom