• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Kisaya

I can't imagine living in Williamsburg anymore. It's become like a theme park.

Park slope is full of rich yuppies but it still has people rather than characters.

With the way Brooklyn is turning out to be it might as all be a theme park :/ I was considering moving to Queens before I left, or at least Sunset or Bay Ridge.

I grew up in pretty yuppie areas. Raised in Cobble Hill for 17 years in a small Yemeni community that was there, then moved to Red Hook which is currently gentrifying. Then I lived in Prospect Park West for a year, which I was pretty familiar with because I had gone to middle school in Park Slope.

At some point it was just weird going to bars and restaurants and being around people who have only lived there less than 5 years, and then just getting this anxiety being around them. Definetly interesting when someone who moved from the Midwest were to tell me where all the "cool" spots in NYC are.

Why did you leave? Honestly (probably really biased) I can't think of a better place, almost like exactly how I'd imagine living in BK would be before moving here. Really prefer it over Williamsburg, which I like going to just for the bars
Got married. I'm still in Brooklyn, though. FG/CH is awesome though I don't get a chance to go back much these days.

With the way Brooklyn is turning out to be it might as all be a theme park :/ I was considering moving to Queens before I left, or at least Sunset or Bay Ridge.

Ridgewood really hasn't changed much in the last 20 some odd years. We just ended up having more banks on Myrtle Ave and that's about it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
None of this affects me thank god.

Haly

Wasn't the 7 extended to Port Authority?

Makai

Everyone has warned me about the cost of living but prices are literally the same as in the South. The one exception has been Subway. Instead of $5 footlongs, it's $5.50. Outrageous.

Haly

Everyone has warned me about the cost of living but prices are literally the same as in the South. The one exception has been Subway. Instead of $5 footlongs, it's $5.50. Outrageous.

RIP wallet.

(You'll notice it more once you leave the sphere of influence of national chains.)

Makai

RIP wallet.

(You'll notice it more once you leave the sphere of influence of national chains.)
The grocery store (C-Town) was similar to what I expect, too. My friend told me it's a chain but I've never heard of it.

Haly

C-Town is a Chinese run grocery chain around here, which is why they're so affordable. The price tiers of groceries go like:

100 year-old specialty street corner food shops > Whole Foods > Trader Joes > Costco/Walmart > Stop and Shop > C-Town, and other Chinese/Korean grocers

Pau

I'm kind of scared to drive in NYC. Well, in Manhattan. :(

C-Town is a Chinese run grocery chain around here, which is why they're so affordable. The price tiers of groceries go like:

100 year-old specialty street corner food shops > Whole Foods > Trader Joes > Costco/Walmart > Stop and Shop > C-Town, and other Chinese/Korean grocers
Is Key Food Chinese/Korean?

entremet

I'm kind of scared to drive in NYC. Well, in Manhattan. :(

Is Key Food Chinese/Korean?

I learned to drive in NYC lol. In Manhattan specifically. Classic New Yorker who learned how to drive late in life--mid 20s.

I'm the opposite. I hate driving in the highway and rural areas. Freaks me out. But bumper to bumper traffic is my jam.

Kisaya

I've never heard of Key Food!

Whaaat. Well, I think they closed down most of them :( they were my childhood supermarket. If they didn't close them down already I know there's a big one on Atlantic Ave and also 5th Ave in Brooklyn.

Haly

Whaaat. Well, I think they closed down most of them :( they were my childhood supermarket. If they didn't close them down already I know there's a big one on Atlantic Ave and also 5th Ave in Brooklyn.

Now that I think about it, I used to pass by a Key Foods somewhere between Elmhurst and Forest Hills, but I never actually went there for shopping.

I grew up around Stop and Shops and Flushing's Chinese markets.

NimbusD

Ugh that MTA shit is really going to fuck Astoria hard :( Hope they alternate stations otherwise I'm screwed for a long time.

Parking is way more abundant than I was led to believe. Car isn't useless after all 8)

Assuming you don't live in an area with Alternate Side Parking then?

entremet

Just visited there for the first time. I really enjoyed it and New Yorkers are nicer than I thought. :)

New Yorkers are generally very helpful. We're just always in rush and lack the patience for those not used to street traffic, like tourists who are more adept to car cultures.

We also wear our public scowl proudly lol.

I remember reading article in about NYC's infamous rude residents.

The thesis was interesting. In most smaller towns or suburbs, people have more general privacy--the have bigger living spaces, the drive personal vehicles, which is another box, and they have a lot of physical space.

New Yorkers don't have that. We live in small apartments and if you have a roommate or SO it can be hard to carve spaces for physical privacy.

We share our physical space very intimately with strangers on crowded trains.

We havel less wide open spaces, everything is an assault to the sense and our sense of privacy, which most people take for granted, especially those that don't live in dense cities.

So to adapt and not go nuts, we develop that external edge, otherwise we would have daily breakdowns.

Interesting theory.

Whenever I visit rural or suburban areas, I'm always shocked how easy it is to avoid people. Not to mention that crazy amount of space most houses have compared to cramped NYC apartments.

Haly

Just visited there for the first time. I really enjoyed it and New Yorkers are nicer than I thought. :)

We are, I don't know where this "NYers are rude lel" reputation comes from.

KaoticBlaze

The cab drivers are usually pretty rude on the road. Again, part of the reason I'm afraid to drive in Manhattan.

Yeah driving is horrible in Manhattan. I live outside the city now and my car is stick, so I don't even bother going into the city unless it's in someone else's car.

Haly

If only they kept their shenanigans to the sidewalk.

I saw a group of tourists in Times Square taking a group selfie in the middle of a 7th avenue crossing while I was on my way to the 1.

Chromax

Heading back to NYC next week. Well, Long Island to be exact, but I'll finally be driving in Manhattan. What should I be expecting!

tigerin

I would like to apologize on the behalf of us tourists and i fully understand the frustration we've placed upon you all.

I love how convenient the subway is. i love that i can walk down the street and pick a varieties of food within the block. But most of all, i love how diverse the cultures and open minded the people are.

I can just wander off and not get bored because every street has a story to tell. It funny, I'm not usually good with direction but everything just clicked when i was there. I felt more at home there than i am here in florida.

I really envy those of you that live there. Maybe I'll have the opportunity to do the same one day. But for now, thanks for the positive experience. :)

Jhoan

Does anyone else live on the Bronx? Also is there going to be another NYC meetup?
1. Welllington does and I think bob_arctor lived in the South Bronx once upon a time. I have family and friends that live in The Bronx but haven't visited in any in a while. The only time I'm in The Bronx these days is to go to the Target on 225th.

2. Short answer: Yes, the interest is there so I plan to kick off the first one (unless there's any takers) for February but hope that if things go well, future meet ups will have different organizers since it's actually pretty fun organizing them.

Long answer: It seems like the general consensus is down for a board game theme or involves games in some capacity with the traditional bar hopping for everyone else who sticks around. I still haven't written the thread content and I'm still scouting locations but places I'm considering include The Uncommons, Reichenbach Hall (good to bring games to), and The Gaf (west side). I'm open to other suggestions since nothing has been set in stone.

RE: "Rude New Yorkers" myth: As long you don't clog up a busy sidewalk to take a selfie with a stick and/or walk incredibly slow, we love tourists and are happy to give directions/suggest places of interest. The easiest way to tell tourists apart from New Yorkers is if they're carrying the MTA subway map around.

Skelter

Banned
Long answer: It seems like the general consensus is down for a board game theme or involves games in some capacity with the traditional bar hopping for everyone else who sticks around.

Never been to a NYC-Gaf meetup. I'd so be up for that!

Haly

Play drunk Mafia, hosted by Karkador.

Top Bottom