• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Hey nycGAF,
here's a nice group shot, enjoy =)

SSdWGORl.png

:(

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Anyone know anything about the Pokemon event at the Nintendo Store tomorrow? Wristbands being given out at 9am for a 1pm event with raffles...but no specific details. I asked some people at the store and even they were super vague.

Jhoan

Anyone know anything about the Pokemon event at the Nintendo Store tomorrow? Wristbands being given out at 9am for a 1pm event with raffles...but no specific details. I asked some people at the store and even they were super vague.
Their Twitter only says something about a Pokémon Sun and Moon lounge. I'm assuming there's going to be swag, tournaments, and whatnot. The weather is supposed bad into tomorrow. I actually got Pokémon Sun as a Christmas gift but it's sealed and will remain that way for a while.
So what fun-filled things are going on in the city today?

Seems like a bad day to waste inside.
There's supposed showers and thunderstorms tonight with temperatures continuing to drop. My family got invited to an old high school friend's cousin's baby shower that's a 5 minute walk away from me. I can't say no to free food and drinks rain or shine.

That said, nothing really comes to mind at the moment man. If anything check Timeout NY, DNAInfo, and Gothamist. I would go to The Met personally.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I mean it's the geek capital of GAF

I could talk about going to the Disney Store or LEGO Store, but not as fun!

Actually what are some other cool nerdy places?

Compleat Strategist is the uber nerd store.

There's also Modern Pinball.

Think all the other places I know have been mentioned here one time or another.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Their Twitter only says something about a Pokémon Sun and Moon lounge. I'm assuming there's going to be swag, tournaments, and whatnot. The weather is supposed bad into tomorrow. I actually got Pokémon Sun as a Christmas gift but it's sealed and will remain that way for a while.

I'm in the same boat - got it for Christmas as a gift and it's still sealed. I feel bad because now I'm getting a Switch and if they announced a remaster I'll never open the game up.

Pau

I mean it's the geek capital of GAF

I could talk about going to the Disney Store or LEGO Store, but not as fun!

Actually what are some other cool nerdy places?
Well, as for cool, ymmv:

The Uncommons
Toy Tokyo
Kinokinuya
Midtown Comics
Forbidden Planet

But yes, my boyfriend loves going to Nintendo World and never actually buying anything. I don't quite get it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's like a small theme park i used to do the same thing
when I was 16.

Fuchsdh

Was over in Flushing Meadows Park today. Though a bit cold, it's a lot nicer going over there when it's not crushed with crowds in summer. The Queens Museum is really nice too.

yencid

Well, as for cool, ymmv:

The Uncommons
Toy Tokyo
Kinokinuya
Midtown Comics
Forbidden Planet

But yes, my boyfriend loves going to Nintendo World and never actually buying anything. I don't quite get it.

the uncommons sounds like a great place

Jhoan

Yes

Yes it does

Nominate The Uncommons for a potential meet-up spot this summer!

The problem with The Uncommons is that it gets crowded quickly what with NYU students constantly there. I went there on a date last summer and we had to wait nearly an hour before finally getting a table. RSVP'ing a few tables would be ideal to avoid having to wait.

Penguin

The problem with The Uncommons is that it gets crowded quickly what with NYU students constantly there. I went there on a date last summer and we had to wait nearly an hour before finally getting a table. RSVP'ing a few tables would be ideal to avoid having to wait.

Hmm is there any place similar... wouldn't mind doing some non-bar/drinking meet-ups

Especially if we can bring in games and stuff

Jhoan

Hmm is there any place similar... wouldn't mind doing some non-bar/drinking meet-ups

Especially if we can bring in games and stuff

It's further out but The Brooklyn Strategist could be a solid place and German pubs/beer gardens can accommodate for large groups fairly easily (I realize that would mean drinking). The only other places that come to mind are hotel bars where drinking is optional but it can accommodate large groups such as the Marriott Courtyard on 54th and Broadway where I semi-occasionally meet with my boss at. When I was there last Thursday night, there was a group painting event there. I remember looking into places that allow people to bring in games and Essen came to mind (everyone would need to buy something though).

GiJoccin

tribeca whole foods used to have people nabbing tables upstairs and setting up huge board games, im pretty confident they also had legit board game nights. now i know that's not cool/chic, but gets the job done!

Penguin

tribeca whole foods used to have people nabbing tables upstairs and setting up huge board games, im pretty confident they also had legit board game nights. now i know that's not cool/chic, but gets the job done!

I mean that could work

If get hungry or want drinks, supermarket right downstairs
Probably won't do it for the next one

Or should we... probably easier to get folks to stay indoor when weather is mixed... granted not how it's worked this year

I actually never been to nintendo world, there were 2 occasions that i wanted to go, one time for a rosalina amiibo and i dont remember what the 2nd time was but when i went there was a huge ass line outside, wasnt worth it so i just turned around l, got something to eat and dipped.

Pau

The Uncommons isn't too full on week nights or early afternoon.

For some reason they sell arepas which has led to some great interactions with gringos trying to school me on how to pronounce the word.

It's like a small theme park i used to do the same thing
when I was 16.
When Kark was 16 he was stuck in Miami with no Nintendo World. He's gotta make up for lost time.

They still do this.

If anyone's interested tomorrow chelsea piers has unlimited laser tag from 6-9pm for $15. I'd go but I gotta do a coding assignment thats due on thursday that i haven't even started cause of a calc 2 test I got tomorrow. If anyone wants to go next wednesday I'm up for it tho

Penguin

If anyone's interested tomorrow chelsea piers has unlimited laser tag from 6-9pm for $15. I'd go but I gotta do a coding assignment thats due on thursday that i haven't even started cause of a calc 2 test I got tomorrow. If anyone wants to go next wednesday I'm up for it tho

Is this often?

I would go but have tickets for Logan tomorrow and Kong next week

Pau

I'd be down for laser tag on a Wednesday. I went for the first time back during Christmas and it felt a bit like a work out. D:

faisal233

Is there anyway to check if zoned elementary schools are full or not online?

We are moving to NYC in June and I couldn't find anything online that lets you know if a school has any space available.

Penguin

Looks like folks are lining up at nintendo World already... and will give out wristbands for midnight launch at 5pm... so at least you'll know if you'll get one or not early.

Top Bottom