• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Penguin

So debating doing a thread for next thingie... since more of a going away for Makai. Though guess meet-up as well, it's in 2 weeks

Jhoan

The final damage report on stuff on this weekend.

lh7UwjD.jpg

Some of the stuff in this bunch was free e.g. SVA's Spectacular! and portfolio book; Andre the Giant and Tetris was free thanks to the awesome woman working the 01 Second table who was kind enough to give volunteers a graphic novel or two. Snake PIT and Old Man Winter were left behind by exhibitors.

I managed to get Greg Ruth to sign my copy of Indeh: A Story of the Apache Wars, got 4 Panel signed by Anuj Shrestha who won an award at this year's festival, and Peplum signed by Blutch which I recorded. La Sinaventura is a graphic novel that was done entirely with the artist's left hand which blew my mind since that's not his dominant hand; Kate Lacour won an award at last year's festival and does some crazy cerebral art. Inktoby, Momento Por Favor, and What I Did This Summer are more indie that I checked out for inspiration. I got La Segunda Generación for free after I mentioned that I write comic reviews for a website based in the city so I have my work cut out for me.

All in all, some damn good art all around. I think I prefer MoCCA Fest over NYCC's Artist Alley for more international and unconventional comic artists that don't/can't do bigger cons. There's a lot of passion and amazing Indie artists there. Will I be able to read any of this stuff to write about it for analysis or for pleasure? That remains to be seen. TL;DR: My graphic novel/comic backlog just got a whole lot bigger.

On a related note: I got a flyer for a con in St. John's University called Borough Con. It's going to be from May 26-29. I'm going to see how much is a table there but would otherwise consider attending as Press.

RE: Makai's going away thing, I think that can be a low-key thing unless he wants a lot of people to turn out. Tomorrow is going to rain all day again which sucks.:(

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
On a related note: I got a flyer for a con in St. John's University called Borough Con. It's going to be from May 26-29. I'm going to see how much is a table there but would otherwise consider attending as Press.

I can't imagine this being that big. Factoring location, pricing is ridiculous.

Jhoan

I can't imagine this being that big. Factoring location, pricing is ridiculous.
Yeah, I doubt it as well since it's so damn far! If it would have been in Brooklyn or Manhattan, it would have been a lot more convenient for people and attracted more of a crowd. Plus it seems to be heavily focused on anime than comics from the sponsors listed.

I think 5 Points Fest is going to attract a much larger crowd the prior weekend given its location and bigger profile featured artists.

^^Dem kids shots! I like the one of the kid running around with his puffed up cheeks without a care in the world. It reminds me of Leo DiCraprio's Haters gonna hate GIF.

^^Dem kids shots! I like the one of the kid running around with his puffed up cheeks without a care in the world. It reminds me of Leo DiCraprio's Haters gonna hate GIF.
I'm surprised I even got that kid running to be honest, was expecting my focus to be off.

Penguin

OK so what's the deal with the sunglasses with no... er well sides?
o_O

Spring is fucking here!

What are the dets Penguin?

I'm thinking we hit up Union Square Regal for Fate of the 8 since the area has a bunch of bars we can check out after or if wanna keep it small could just hang out in the park/Square

Jhoan

I'm surprised I even got that kid running to be honest, was expecting my focus to be off.
That's what the late Bob Ross likes to call happy little accidents. Sometimes the best shots are the "worst" ones.

Holy crap! I just noticed the sans frame glasses guy! I wonder how it stuck to his face. It's like how superheroes wear masks that seemingly manage to stick to their faces such as Green Arrow and Black Canary. I like to think they're wearing suction cups on their faces or is made of some kind of material that's sweat proof.

That's what the late Bob Ross likes to call happy little accidents. Sometimes the best shots are the "worst" ones.

Holy crap! I just noticed the sans frame glasses guy! I wonder how it stuck to his face. It's like how superheroes wear masks that seemingly manage to stick to their faces such as Green Arrow and Black Canary. I like to think they're wearing suction cups on their faces or is made of some kind of material that's sweat proof.
I wish I could grow that mans afro... I'm assuming the glasses dude broke them and just said fuck it I'm not buying new ones right now.

Jhoan

I signed up for the world premiere of Fate of the Furious for this weekend so I'm definitely out of the movie portion of Makai's adieu party. The last free movie screening I saw was Triple 9 last February and it was pretty forgettable. I haven't seen a Fast and Furious movie since the second one.

I might sign up to cover a movie called Their Finest as well. It's a romantic drama which is totally not my cup of tea but eh, it's free so I don't care. If anyone would be interested in being a +1, let me know. The movie would start at 7pm at Cinepolis (23rd between 7th and 8th) for next Wednesday. Emphasis on might because I would end up passing on it or YOLO it and solo it.

Jhoan

Harvey Smith of Arkane Studios/Deus Ex fame is giving a Lecture at NYU Game Center's Brooklyn location on the 20th from 7pm-9pm. I didn't know that he wrote a novel called Big Jack Is Dead! That's pretty mind blowing! RSVP here: http://gamecenter.nyu.edu/event/nyu-game-center-lecture-series-presents-harvey-smith/

Also, anyone interested in watching a free documentary at the IFC Center tomorrow? Here's the doc in question:

Presented by Telefilm Canada in collaboration with the Consulate General
of Canada in New York.

KONELINE: OUR LAND BEAUTIFUL

Dir. Nettie Wild in person for Q&A!
Sat, Apr 8 at: 4:30pm

Winner of the Best Canadian Feature at the 2016 Hot Docs Festival,
KONELINE is, as Linda Barnard writes in the Toronto Star, Astonishing,
stunningly beautifulŠ. equal parts sigh, song and cry. Winner, Best
Canadian Documentary Feature, 2016 Hot Docs Festival.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll PM you the link. Seats might or might night be filled though.

I read a feature on Polygon about Big Bang Bar's history, learned that it's available to play at Sunshine Laundromat, and it's hard. I didn't even know that place was a speak easy. Future meetup idea?

kooplar

So the next meetup is next week? I've been locked away in a dark hole for a couple of weeks now, so I'm down for anything

edit: also I still owe penguin a beer, I haven't forgotten ;>

Makai

If we're seeing a movie, it should probably be at like 6:00 so others who would rather just barhop can show up later.

Prefer:
Kong
Get Out
Logan

Jhoan

I'll pass on the movie part but would join later. My plans for next weekend are still up in the air. I will say that as someone who didn't see any of the previous Fast and Furious films since maybe the second one, it's ridiculously over the top. If Saints Row The Third was a movie, it would be F8. It wasn't bad but I was detached from not having seen the prior films and the humor wasn't for me for the most part. There were a few times where I rolled my eyes and was annoyed that a few people in front of me were either recording while the security guard bat a blind eye to it or people behind me were talking/whooping which soured my experience a bit because I missed a few lines.

I think it's a movie that's worth watching twice to pick up on stuff. If you liked the previous films as well as films such as Shoot Em Up or liked games such as Saints Row The Third, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, and Just Cause, this is basically a live action version of all those games blended together. I'll probably post more thoughts in the film OT.

The movie is gonna sell tickets like gangbusters and sweep the Easter weekend box office. I'm probably going to do a full write up article on my Medium account but will be treading lightly with spoilers. If I had to give it a rating, it would be a 3.5/5. It's definitely much, much better than Triple 9 I will say that because once it gets going, it doesn't stop until the end. Vinn Diesel was there and he was basking in the glory of his hometown. Radio City is is the fanciest looking theatre I've been to in the city since it screams art deco era.

Penguin

Sorry

I wanted o get the movie thing situated before I was in New Orleans, but work and preparign for the trip

Glad someone took the ball and ran with it!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
OK, so the Void ends it's run on Thursday. Unless you guys want to do that we'll need to pick another movie.

EDIT: IFC has it at 10:20, but you guys wanted 6. Gonna need a new plan for Makai's going away.

Jhoan

Amazing weather today.

Bets on it snowing in two days?
It's nice time for me to bust out the watercolor paint set and draw outside which is exactly what I'm doing now. Will walk it back home in time for iZombie. Tomorrow is supposed to rain then the next two days will be in the 60s. The temperature is gonna go to shit until next week.

Penguin

Well we can't really swing it, so we'll need to figure something else out. I never set one of these up before so I have no clue what I'm doing.

This is why folks phase in and out.

I say ask Makai for back-up plans/other things he wants to do. The movie idea only came about because he mentioned he had never gone to an NYC cinema, but that could have changed.

Jhoan

I have a membership at IFC Center if he wants to see something there I get a discount on movies and free popcorn/soda twice I believe.

Jhoan

What was that place we went with the Taco Truck inside the bar. Let's go there
Union Hall. If you guys go see the movie, then I'll go straight down to Williamsburg and hang out with a B-team. Maybe it would be best to see Kong around that area too if it's being shown at Nite Hawk Cinema.

Penguin

Ok with Kong. I'll probably see Void independently too then.

Ok, so Union Square has a 6pm showing on Saturday and Sheepshead Bay has a 6:40 but the later's by the Aquarium so probably not what we're looking for.

What was that place we went with the Taco Truck inside the bar. Let's go there

So we can take the 6pm Kong at Union Square. Hop on the L Train and be at the bar by like 9 at the latest

Sounds like a gameplan.

Wait it's not Union Hall, that's the OTHER one.... It has a similar name though

Ahh Union Pool is the name!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
OK sounds like we've got the plan all set for Saturday.

Union Square for the 6PM showing of Kong.

Then Union Pool (the bar with the taco kart) at about 9PM for drinking and presumably tacos.

Should we make a thread or not bother?

Jhoan

OK sounds like we've got the plan all set for Saturday.

Union Square for the 6PM showing of Kong.

Then Union Pool (the bar with the taco kart) at about 9PM for drinking and presumably tacos.

Should we make a thread or not bother?
Probably not since I think it's on such short notice and it's of a smaller scale but we'll let Makai call the shots here. I'm going to be in Williamsburg early and won't be free until the night. I'll end up sitting by Ascenzi Square along Metropolitan Ave at some point.

I'm on a tight budget due to my impending Chicago trip so I will keep drinking to a minimum and get some food beforehand. Now that I think about it, I have Brokelyn's Beer Book so I'll take it with me and get some use out of it.

tbm24

So is almost 1 am and I currently live in Whitestone right by the Cross Island. My windows are open and I'm hearing what sounds like a horn type alarm that's really making me feel uneasy. I was reading earlier about the emergency alarms that were set off in Texas and I'm immediately turning towards that as an explanation but I'm not aware of anyone else around NYC having this happen. Long shot if anyone here has heard what I'm talking about. I heard it last night as well after midnight.

Should note watching Independence Day during that siren wasn't the best idea..

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So is almost 1 am and I currently live in Whitestone right by the Cross Island. My windows are open and I'm hearing what sounds like a horn type alarm that's really making me feel uneasy. I was reading earlier about the emergency alarms that were set off in Texas and I'm immediately turning towards that as an explanation but I'm not aware of anyone else around NYC having this happen. Long shot if anyone here has heard what I'm talking about. I heard it last night as well after midnight.

Should note watching Indeoendence Day during that siren wasn't the best idea..

It happens during the summer in my folk's neighborhood all the time. They're just testing old shit.

Top Bottom