• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I replied. Hopefully other people here are interested. I'm pretty quiet as a roommate, even supply toilet paper. The internet is already set up, plus electricity. I usually just ask for the person to pay their share of the bills.

If you had hit me up six months ago I would have jumped. Sorry dude.

If anybody knows two people looking for a room in Brooklyn let me know, two rooms in my current apartment opened up and I need two bodies in there by the end of June. Rooms should be sub $900 a month, East Flatbush.

craigslist it. you have two months. Is it near the 5/2?

Jhoan

hey, whats the best place to bar hop in brooklyn?

what bar should i start at?

Williamsburg/Bushwick is a solid haunt. Also Gowanus and Crown Heights has solid places. Williamsburg has way too many places that we've been to on GAF meetups including The Commodore for fried chicken (it's a dive bar to a T with dark lighting), Radegast Beer Garden, Barcade, Berry Park, Union Pool, and more.

You can vote for your favorite NYC Votes sticker. The deadline is on May 9th and will roll out with the the September elections. Here's a pic of all the designs (click to enlarge):

banner_1.png

Larger versions of the individual designs and poll in the link.
I personally dig the subway map one, the one with the Statue of Liberty torch T, the violet one with the different groups of people, and the illustration one (#3, #4, #7, #9).

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Thanks for the advice on burgers, guys. Much appreciated. I'll def check out Shake Shack and Five Guys, hope to tackle some more. I'm staying near a 5 Napkin Burger place which also seems to have a good rep.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thanks for the advice on burgers, guys. Much appreciated. I'll def check out Shake Shack and Five Guys, hope to tackle some more. I'm staying near a 5 Napkin Burger place which also seems to have a good rep.

FYI Shake Shack has a promotion this month every year. If you donate $2 to charity with your order they give you a voucher for a free shake on your next visit. And by next visit they mean the next time you walk up to the register.

dickroach

Did not succeed in the Zelda escape room :(
A couple of the puzzles are rough, and you gotta READ everything, which we totally did not.
It was fun tho. Not really much of an escape room though, or at least not what I expected one to be

Pau

Did not succeed in the Zelda escape room :(
A couple of the puzzles are rough, and you gotta READ everything, which we totally did not.
It was fun tho. Not really much of an escape room though, or at least not what I expected one to be
How was the theming?

taybul

they did enough where it felt like a Zelda... thing from start to finish, some of it cheesy, some of it cool. but the puzzles were basic enough that you could've swapped out any other theme

Please tell me they played the music where you discover something (think bombing a wall in game) or find a key or something.

Penguin

the real question is how am i stupid enough to have never looked for this before

for weeks/MONTHS i have been spamming persona 5 threads asking if anyone in NYC wants to meet up and trade my steelbook for a regular cover

Ahh yeah

Should totally just have searched for NYC/New York

This is any of the meet-up threads would have shown.

I do think a lot of folks from NYC/surrounding area don't know we exist down here

As an aside, there's also the Discord chat
Two things going on

1)If the rain settles a bit, may meet up for drinks tomorrow after this fun week in politics

2)Is anyone else interested in trying out DnD?

Ahh yeah

Should totally just have searched for NYC/New York

This is any of the meet-up threads would have shown.

I do think a lot of folks from NYC/surrounding area don't know we exist down here

As an aside, there's also the Discord chat
Two things going on

1)If the rain settles a bit, may meet up for drinks tomorrow after this fun week in politics

what's DnD?
Fuck this rain, soaked down to my socks.

I just got back from church, not only was it more crowded than your average subway to get out, my shoes were crushed and my socks got wet on my way over to them

normally on rainy days I just say fuck it and walk in the rain, but today is OD

I just got back from church, not only was it more crowded than your average subway to get out, my shoes were crushed and my socks got wet on my way over to them

I had to walk all over during rainpocalypse, I'm still wet.

Jhoan

what's DnD?

Short for Dungeons and Dragons. I'm going to my first DnD game on Sunday with a bunch of writers from the the website that I write for. Naturally the idea was brought up as a meetup in the future in the Discord chat. The biggest challenge however is finding a place that would allow us to play for several hours. I can only think of parks if the weather conditions are good and there's no wind.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

I would be down for that. I've always wanted to play, know no one who has ever played or would be interested in playing. I played Neverwinter Nights on PC for 6 years and saw Stranger Things so I imagine I'm a pro already.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Short for Dungeons and Dragons. I'm going to my first DnD game on Sunday with a bunch of writers from the the website that I write for. Naturally the idea was brought up as a meetup in the future in the Discord chat. The biggest challenge however is finding a place that would allow us to play for several hours. I can only think of parks if the weather conditions are good and there's no wind.

There's a couple of open spaces in Manhattan we could probably use. Or maybe a bar on an off-night or something.

I had to walk all over during rainpocalypse, I'm still wet.

Ugh, that blows. The rain really sucked earlier. :(

There's a couple of open spaces in Manhattan we could probably use. Or maybe a bar on an off-night or something.

Ugh, that blows. The rain really sucked earlier. :(
I had to go from Brooklyn to Manhattan, turn around in the middle of it go back to Brooklyn pick up my photography gear, go back to Manhattan, walk to the empire state building area, do a shoot, hoof it back to a B station, get off at Times Square and get soaked going to my office. Ended up picking up a Chicken Cordon Bleu wrap from Lenwich cause I was going back out to get soaked again an hour later for lunch.

Penguin

I would be down for that. I've always wanted to play, know no one who has ever played or would be interested in playing. I played Neverwinter Nights on PC for 6 years and saw Stranger Things so I imagine I'm a pro already.

Yeah, I think that's what we're discovering a few of us who wanted to try, but didn't really know anyone else.

SolKane

I'm visiting NYC for the first time next week. My hotel is in Midtown, just south of Grand Central and I'm flying into JFK. What's the best way to get there via the subway?

From what I've read I just take the AirTrain to Jamaica, get on the E train heading to Manhattan, exit at Court Square and then get on the 7 train to Grand Central. Is that pretty doable with some light luggage? Most people seem to recommend exiting at Court Square but Google Maps has me exiting at Lexington/53, heading to 51st St Station and taking the 6 train to Grand Central.

Jhoan

I think they play DnD every Sunday at the Brooklyn Strategist, and I think the owner is a Gaffer

You're referring to Alcotholic who posts in the Free Portrait Drawing thread. He was one of the managers at the Brooklyn Strategist because a guy who works at the store mentioned that he left. I learned of this because said guy was in a Twitch Chat during Waypoint's 72 hour launch stream's chat and I was recommending Gita Jackson some places to check out when she (eventually) moved to NYC. I should send him a PM to get the final word from him on that. I tried directing him to this thread but he hasn't posted in here.

Jhoan

When's the next nyc meet up and when are we meeting at Istanbul cafe (hookah bar) in the Bronx?

June and in the Union Square area. Date TBD but it probably be after E3. My birthday is on the 19th for reference. If the Sony E3 Experience happens again, I'm going with the Union Square location again. Personally, I'm fine with smoking hookah since I only do it once it in a while and by that I mean that last time I did it was in February after over a year without doing it. It goes well with some beer but then again, I can only speak for myself.

We're also etching something out for tonight if you can't wait until then but not sure where or what time. Check the Discord chat for more on that (link is in the OP).

rackham

Banned
June and in the Union Square area. Date TBD but it probably be after E3. My birthday is on the 19th for reference. If the Sony E3 Experience happens again, I'm going with the Union Square location again. Personally, I'm fine with smoking hookah since I only do it once it in a while and by that I mean that last time I did it was in February after over a year without doing it. It goes well with some beer but then again, I can only speak for myself.

We're also etching something out for tonight if you can't wait until then but not sure where or what time. Check the Discord chat for more on that (link is in the OP).
how many people tonight and what kind of activity. Don't have discord at the moment. At work. Out at ten.

Jhoan

how many people tonight and what kind of activity. Don't have discord at the moment. At work. Out at ten.
Drinks and roughly 4 people. We've been going off-topic at the moment so plans are up in the air. When you get Wi-Fi, give the app a download if you don't want to spend your data on it.

I am here for answers!

From what I'm gathering regarding your posts, you are looking for a place to play D&D. The Brooklyn Strat is a good place to go if you want a central location to meet up with food and drinks available. I don't work there anymore (I moved to Portland) otherwise I would personally hook you guys up. But the store loves building communities and encouraging people to return as regulars, so we would cut deals for RPG groups. D&D night is Wednesday, but the store loves having groups in any time of the week. If you're interested in making Bstrat your meet up spot Email rpg@thebrooklynstrategist.com and see if you can work something out with Ben. You can say you're friends with Will and that he recommended The Brooklyn Strategist to you.

Hope that helps.

because a guy who works at the store mentioned that he left. I learned of this because said guy was in a Twitch Chat during Waypoint's 72 hour launch stream's chat...
I wondering if you're referring to Cord (Twitch Username: Mythematic). He sports a well groomed mustache and bowtie.

Jhoan

Going to NYC next month for a week

Can anyone recommend me a guide to NYC subway,train, bus systems?
If you don't want to look like a tourist and stand out, use Google Maps to get around as opposed to an MTA map. Otherwise, download a PDF of the subway map available at mta.info to your tablet/phone and familiarize yourself with the subway/bus and whatever places you plan to hit up that's near that station. If you plan to stay in Manhattan only, it's easy enough to navigate because everything is divided by north, south, east, and west. It's completely dependent on what you plan to see.

Although it gets a bit trickier when you get to Lower Manhattan after all the numbered streets end and you start getting smaller streets that can be easily overlooked. You can use a free transfer after taking the subway to take the bus crosstown from east to west and vice versa with bus transfers working on the subway. I think a week is enough where you can check out some places in Brooklyn and Queens. The outer boroughs outside of Manhattan are trickier to navigate but manageable as there will always be a subway station and a map nearby (the Citibike stops have maps).
I am here for answers!

From what I'm gathering regarding your posts, you are looking for a place to play D&D. The Brooklyn Strat is a good place to go if you want a central location to meet up with food and drinks available. I don't work there anymore (I moved to Portland) otherwise I would personally hook you guys up. But the store loves building communities and encouraging people to return as regulars, so we would cut deals for RPG groups. D&D night is Wednesday, but the store loves having groups in any time of the week. If you're interested in making Bstrat your meet up spot Email rpg@thebrooklynstrategist.com and see if you can work something out with Ben. You can say you're friends with Will and that he recommended The Brooklyn Strategist to you.

Hope that helps.

The man has spoken. Thanks for popping in! I need to update the OP to reflect the changes. By Portland, I'm going to assume you mean Portland, OR and not Portland, ME. I met a few artists and people working at cons that live in Portland and it sounds like a charming place. I heard a bunch of funny stories about how it's pretty common to run into Chuck Palahniuk at bars and whatnot.

In regards to your second post, I think it might have been that username that I was chatting with. My memory is awful but he did mention that he knew you when I mentioned your name. A well groomed mustache sounds quite fitting for the location.

Top Bottom