• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Is anyone championing the orange line these past few weeks?

Since I moved I'm on the Blue line. Though I have fond memories of the B. B trains randomly going express and skipping my station during morning rush, B trains just stopping service, B trains just making me late in general. It's a weird feeling having somewhat normal service. Though that crap on Friday was not fun.

I've been about that bike life for a while and it's made the city so much better for me. I basically never leave Brooklyn though.

EDIT: I will say, this rainy spell has been kind of miserable.

Jhoan

I still need to learn how to ride a bike. It would have came in handy getting around Chicago much faster to check out neighborhoods. They have a Citi bike program as well except that it's Blue Cross Blue Shield as the sponsor so the bikes are light blue.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I still need to learn how to ride a bike. It would have came in handy getting around Chicago much faster to check out neighborhoods. They have a Citi bike program as well except that it's Blue Cross Blue Shield as the sponsor so the bikes are light blue.

It's how I got around DC and Boston when I visited. Biking is fantastic.

I think it'd be perfect for you. I didn't learn how to ride one until college. Just found an empty parking lot and figured it out after a few hours. Stick to the dedicated bike paths until you get comfortable.

Jhoan

It's how I got around DC and Boston when I visited. Biking is fantastic.

I ironically learned how to drive a motor scooter before learning to ride a bike. I busted my ass a couple of times but it was worth it once I got the balance right because it felt so exhilarating getting around town. This was in the DR.

The closest place for me to learn at would be Riverside Park or perhaps a parking lot several blocks away. A girl I once went out with told me that she signed up for an adult bike riding course so that's another thing I can look into. My bro's bike has busted breaks and/or needs a change of tire. I forgot.

I actually like bike riding I'm just worried about A) getting ran over by a crazy dude, B) getting my bike stolen and C) getting mugged for my bike.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I ironically learned how to drive a motor scooter before learning to ride a bike. I busted my ass a couple of times but it was worth it once I got the balance right because it felt so exhilarating getting around town. This was in the DR.

The closest place for me to learn at would be Riverside Park or perhaps a parking lot several blocks away. A girl I once went out with told me that she signed up for an adult bike riding course so that's another thing I can look into. My bro's bike has busted breaks and/or needs a change of tire. I forgot.

Oh you'll be fine then. Once you get some momentum up you can stay up pretty easy, most beginners make the mistake of staying at too low of a speed.

I actually like bike riding I'm just worried about A) getting ran over by a crazy dude, B) getting my bike stolen and C) getting mugged for my bike.

A is definitely a legitimate concern, B and C are mitigated by buying a cheap bike off craigslist and never leaving it outside overnight.

taybul

N train is best train.

Speaking of which, still waiting for MTA to reopen the Manhattan bound side of the Fort Hamilton station. Tired of walking to 8th Ave.

I take it that you enjoy spending 10+ minutes waiting for your train?

B and D are the best for going up and down Manhattan. My commute to work used to be 7 -> 123 at Times Sq until someone suggested taking the BDFM line. B/D seem so quick in the city. They fucking start closing the doors while people are still getting out all the time. If you see one at the station while you're at the top of the stairs, you will miss it.

Hey guys I'm starting my residency at New York Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist in July and I was hoping to get some help from you guys in apartment hunting in the area.

I've never been to New York City so I really have no idea where to start looking. Are there apps you guys use to find places? I'm finishing up med school in Louisiana and am planning a trip around late May for a couple days. I'm hoping to be within walking distance to the hospital, and my salary is $62,275. Any help is appreciated!

Hey guys I'm starting my residency at New York Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist in July and I was hoping to get some help from you guys in apartment hunting in the area.

I've never been to New York City so I really have no idea where to start looking. Are there apps you guys use to find places? I'm finishing up med school in Louisiana and am planning a trip around late May for a couple days. I'm hoping to be within walking distance to the hospital, and my salary is $62,275. Any help is appreciated!

You can check streeteasy.com, just be wary of scams.

Though I'd recommend finding a realtor to help looking. You can check yelp to see their ratings and what not. I found a new place last month and used Fifth and Forever, Nicole was the one who helped.

You can check streeteasy.com, just be wary of scams.

Though I'd recommend finding a realtor to help looking. You can check yelp to see their ratings and what not. I found a new place last month and used Fifth and Forever, Nicole was the one who helped.

Thanks for the advice.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Went to the Alamo Drafthouse in BK over the weekend. They weren't serving food. I swear, as much as I like going there, I have yet to go there and not had an issue with something. The first time they sold us tickets to seats that didn't exist!

I take it that you enjoy spending 10+ minutes waiting for your train?

B and D are the best for going up and down Manhattan. My commute to work used to be 7 -> 123 at Times Sq until someone suggested taking the BDFM line. B/D seem so quick in the city. They fucking start closing the doors while people are still getting out all the time. If you see one at the station while you're at the top of the stairs, you will miss it.

I've rarely have to wait long for the N in other 8th ave or Fort Hamilton.

GiJoccin

residency in what, if i may ask?

check out south slope area / windsor terrace, also park slope down by 4th ave is more affordable and better space to price ratio

Penguin

Went to the Alamo Drafthouse in BK over the weekend. They weren't serving food. I swear, as much as I like going there, I have yet to go there and not had an issue with something. The first time they sold us tickets to seats that didn't exist!

Oh that's still not fixed? Seems like there's a gas problem in the building since last weekend...

With that yearly salary you shouldn't have much trouble finding something.

Hell yeah, that's a pretty damn good salary to find a studio or 1 BR easily.

Awesome, I was worried I was going to have to find a roommate.

residency in what, if i may ask?

check out south slope area / windsor terrace, also park slope down by 4th ave is more affordable and better space to price ratio

I'm going to be doing a year of internal medicine here before starting my radiology training in Texas. Thanks for the help, too.

Jhoan

Holy crap! It's 80 degrees(!!!) and I'm still indoors trying to write some interview questions. I need to get out at some point and go hit the gym. You duders better be doing the same!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Holy crap! It's 80 degrees(!!!) and I'm still indoors trying to write some interview questions. I need to get out at some point and go hit the gym. You duders better be doing the same!

Dude, just go do it outside. Unless you're on staff there's no reason to stay inside today.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's nothing too pressing since the questions are being submitted by email. Yeah, you're right. I'm gonna go head out in a few minutes.

I mean, like, go to the park and write them. That's what I do when I do freelance work. What place are you at anyway? I could use a more fun gig than what I have now.

Jhoan

I mean, like, go to the park and write them. That's what I do when I do freelance work. What place are you at anyway? I could use a more fun gig than what I have now.
I write for gratis for a website called Comicsverse so I have to compensate by selling stuff on eBay and the occasional random con gig. I have some passive income as well. My laptop has no battery because the old battery crapped out. I would have to order a new battery for it. Otherwise, it has to be plugged into an outlet.

Jhoan

May the first be with you today. Allow me to hit you with some news. Staten Island is getting an Alamo Drafthouse in 2019 at Hylan Plaza:

The Austin-based chain — which serves food, beer and liquor while you watch a movie — leased one of the anchor spaces at The Boulevard shopping plaza, which seeks to transform Hylan Plaza into a multi-level retail hub, according to developers Kimco Realty.

A Target is coming to Essex Crossing next year along with other stuff as the area continues to get more and more pricier:

The 22,500-square-foot store will be attached to Essex Crossing's "Site 5" at 145 Clinton St., which will also be home to a Trader Joe's and a Planet Fitness — just a few of the shopping and entertainment options the multi-site project will bring to the neighborhood along with over 1,000 new residential units.

The NYC Ferry launched today in Far Rockaway:

The Rockaway route is the first new route in the city's NYC Ferry system, which will continue with an South Brooklyn route launching June 1, and then Astoria in August.

It will run every hour, on the half hour, between 5:30 a.m. and 8:30 p.m. on weekdays. Weekend service begins at 6:30 a.m. from Rockaway, and the last boat leaves both Wall Street and Rockaway at 9:30 p.m.

Free shuttle buses will run from Beach 169th Street and Beach 35th Street to take travelers to the dock on Beach 108th Street.

Lastly, New York Historical Society's Center for Women's History opened this weekend. I haven't stepped foot in there in several years but pass by it nearly every week:

The project, supported in large part by city and state funding, was inspired by the Tiffany lamps in the Society's collections. Long attributed to the vision of designer Louis Comfort Tiffany, many of the firm's most iconic lampshades were actually created by Tiffany Studios employee Clara Driscoll, head of the Women's Glass Cutting Department at the Corona-based glasshouse, museum employees learned.

A few other things I learned this weekend. Rockstar Games sponsored a marathon race in Red Hook that happened this weekend. I didn't know about that but that's cool. Also, Penguin brought it to my attention that this Saturday is Free Comic Book Day so if you like free comics, be sure to visit your nearest comic store that day and give the creators some love.

Oh and if you haven't joined the Discord channel, feel free to join it. That is all from me. Let's hope May brings more 60-70 degree weather this month.

Oersted

The Untitled Space gallery is pleased to present exhibition, SHE INSPIRES, curated by gallery director and artist Indira Cesarine, featuring 60 contemporary artists with works honoring inspirational women.

jnell_jordan_22levels22_inspired_by_nina_simone_-_the_untitled_space_-_she_inspires_exhibit_-_may_2017_lr.jpg

10% of exhibition proceeds will benefit non-profit She Should Run, a non-partisan 501(c)3 organization expanding the talent pool of future elected female leaders. She Should Run started as a project in 2008 and has evolved to become a movement working to create a culture that inspires women and girls to aspire towards public leadership. She Should Run believes that women of all backgrounds should have an equal shot at elected leadership and that The United States will benefit from having a government with varied perspectives and experiences

http://untitled-space.com/she-inspires/

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
NYC-GAF, what is your favourite place to get a burger?

Man, I don't remember when I had a really good burger. I do want to go to Peter Luger's for lunch sometime in the summer though.

Usually just go to Shake Shack or Hard Times Sundaes at Urban Space Vanderbilt if I want a burger.

If anybody knows two people looking for a room in Brooklyn let me know, two rooms in my current apartment opened up and I need two bodies in there by the end of June. Rooms should be sub $900 a month, East Flatbush.

Top Bottom