• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Luckily most of the catastrophes on the AC have all been way up in upper Manhattan. I'm usually not taking it any further than Columbus Circle so I'm not affected much.

When my wife has to start going to CUNY though... yeesh.
Where is she going? CCNY? BCC? KCC? Lehman? Not that many CUNY campuses above the Hunter College area.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
What a fucking joke.

2VPSEuG.jpg
[

CctPt3E.jpg

It appears this morning's commute-snarling track fire was so popular, the MTA has gifted us with an evening sequel. As of 5:30 p.m., there are widespread problems on the subway, with 4, 5, 6, 7, A, C, E, N, R and W trains experiencing delays. And it's still early!

The 7 train is experiencing signal problems, as is the E; C trains are running express from Canal St to 59 St-Columbus Circle thanks to switch problems, and FDNY activity at Lexington-63 St has caused backups on the N, Q and R trains. There's also a sick customer at 96 St on the East Side, so 6 trains are running with delays. The MTA's website shows good service on the B, D, F, M, J, Z, Q, L, 1, 2, 3, and G lines, but Murphy's Law suggests at least four of those lines will drop you off in the wrong borough by the end of the day.

Are you tired? I am very tired.

BrYtoPl.jpg

jMsmSVI.jpg

Jhoan

I have jury duty on Thursday and possibly Friday at the Manhattan Supreme Court. I hope that trains aren't awful enough to arrive to the court on time but that's wishful thinking. Morning rush hour trains suck.:(

The Argus

This is why we can't have nice things. MTA is considering banning food on the subway.

Good. They're nasty enough already. I had the pleasure to be stuck on the E train today as a woman ate Kennedy's while watching Facebook videos without headphones. Meanwhile two older women stood.

This is why we can't have nice things. MTA is considering banning food on the subway.

Impossible to enforce but let them try. I think its totally gross when I enter a subway car and someone is having their damn dinner in it especially if its some smelly stuff. Its a shame that people though are pigs and just throw their shit on to the tracks. Use a fucking garbage bin morons.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I am all for this. This is how it is in DC, and it's really not a big deal. The obvious issue is that it's nearly impossible to enforce.

Valtýr

Hey everyone. Tomorrow morning I have to drive someone to JFK so they can catch an 8am flight. I'm coming from Bensonhurt Brooklyn and thinking about leaving around 5am or earlier. Anyone have experience doing this? This'll be my first time driving to the airport so I don't really know what to expect beyond... traffic and lots of people.

Can I just drive up to the airport...? I've literally never been there so I don't know the physical layout.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Yeah, there are drop off points if you don't want to pay for parking. There is also parking if you want to go that route. Just follow the signs to the person's gate.

Oxn

Valtýr;243910482 said:
Hey everyone. Tomorrow morning I have to drive someone to JFK so they can catch an 8am flight. I'm coming from Bensonhurt Brooklyn and thinking about leaving around 5am or earlier. Anyone have experience doing this? This'll be my first time driving to the airport so I don't really know what to expect beyond... traffic and lots of people.

Can I just drive up to the airport...? I've literally never been there so I don't know the physical layout.

I also live in bensonhurst and drove to jfk often enough. At 5am you shouldnt have any problems. Probably just 25min or so. Just follow the signs, they are pretty clear.

Get off on exit 19 on the belt.

commish

I also live in bensonhurst and drove to jfk often enough. At 5am you shouldnt have any problems. Probably just 25min or so. Just follow the signs, they are pretty clear.

Get off on exit 19 on the belt.

Yeah, tbh, I think 5 am is a bit early, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. Roads should be pretty clear at 5.

Valtýr

I gotta be back so I can leave to go to work at 8am, so I don't wanna be stuck in traffic or anything. Plus I wanna get them to the airport early as fuck incase there are any issues there.

Thanks for the info.

milkham

This is a long shot and I understand if no one is willing to do this, but does anyone have a wii u gamepad they wouldn't mind lending me so I could get through the initial setup process? I low bid a wii u only system on ebay and ended up winning it for like 41 dollars.

Penguin

This is a long shot and I understand if no one is willing to do this, but does anyone have a wii u gamepad they wouldn't mind lending me so I could get through the initial setup process? I low bid a wii u only system on ebay and ended up winning it for like 41 dollars.
And it doesn't come with the gamepad?
How are you going to use the system?

milkham

And it doesn't come with the gamepad?
How are you going to use the system?

yeah no gamepad, i've been told a lot of game's don't actually require it and there was a firmware update for the system that made it even less necessary for the operation of the console. It's definitely needed to get through the initial setup and network configuration though. It's baffling how many no-game-pad systems are on ebay though.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

Buy from Gamestop, setup yours, return back to Gamestop (within 7 days).

Fuchsdh

Has anyone else been following this...

http://gothamist.com/2017/07/19/post_207.php

Clueless owner + outraged people = drama. There's even a protest happening on Saturday.

Lol. Keeping fighting businesses instead of the city's housing policy, great priorities. I also love that people who would argue that right-wing folks should be deplatformed are lambasting a woman for "refusing to engage in discussion". It cuts both ways, folks.

Also, it's Nostrand Ave. Dunno if these people realize it or yet but they've already "lost" the battle against gentrification. People are already talking about East New York.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
My dad passed away last week or so and finally the wake is this Saturday. Any good lunch spots in the lower east side since that is why his wake will be.

Welp time the MTA fucked my commute. No N on my local stop and the shuttle is taking 40-20 mind to show up and they show up packed. There's like 50 people waiting at this stop.

Valtýr

Welp time the MTA fucked my commmmute. No N on my local stop and the shuttle is taking 40-20 mind to show up and they show up packed. There's like 50 people waiting at this stop.

Yesterday all the signage and alerts indicated that the N train was running on the D line in Brooklyn which is fine because I live between and N and D stop. But then when we got to 36th the alert suddenly disappeared and because there's station construction for the next fucking year+ the train went all the way to Bay Parkway and I had to transfer on a reverse train to get home.

Anyway... I just booked a trip for next year in March and I wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations for long-term parking near JFK? I'm looking at some companies that offer it but I wanted to know if anyone had dealt with any themselves. I'll need to store my car near the airport for a week.

Oxn

Valtýr;245199168 said:
Yesterday all the signage and alerts indicated that the N train was running on the D line in Brooklyn which is fine because I live between and N and D stop. But then when we got to 36th the alert suddenly disappeared and because there's station construction for the next fucking year+ the train went all the way to Bay Parkway and I had to transfer on a reverse train to get home.

Anyway... I just booked a trip for next year in March and I wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations for long-term parking near JFK? I'm looking at some companies that offer it but I wanted to know if anyone had dealt with any themselves. I'll need to store my car near the airport for a week.

Funny, since i live on the D line in brooklyn, i just found out about this change while on the N line yesterday. I am happy since both lines will go to my stop when i head home now.

As for your parking situation i would just recommend parking somewhere in Queens without alt side parking, and ubering to jfk. Im assuming cause you dont have personal parking at home which is why.

Jhoan

Not sure if I should have necro bumped last year's NYCC thread so I'll post it in here. With SDCC hosting the Eisner Awards, the Harvey Awards finds a new home in NYCC starting next year to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the awards: http://www.cbr.com/harvey-awards-new-york-comic-con-2018/

“We are thrilled to host such an iconic award show during one of the biggest comic events of the year, New York Comic Con,” Lance Fensterman, head of ReedPOP, said in a statement. “We are even more excited to honor the life and work of the late great Harvey Kurtzman here in his hometown, while celebrating the industry’s best work.”

The interim year reception for the Harvey Awards will be open to creators, professionals and fans, and will be held at the Hudson Annex 38 on Saturday, Oct. 7 from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Quixzlizx

I'm going to be heading into Penn Station on Saturday and meeting a friend by the Times Square 42nd Street subway entrance. I'll have about an hour and a half, so does anyone have suggestions for a quick lunch I can get in the area? My goto used to be Pho 32 in Koreatown, but it closed down.

Edit: Izakaya Mew looked promising until I realized they aren't open for lunch on weekends.

milkham

I'm going to be heading into Penn Station on Saturday and meeting a friend by the Times Square 42nd Street subway entrance. I'll have about an hour and a half, so does anyone have suggestions for a quick lunch I can get in the area? My goto used to be Pho 32 in Koreatown, but it closed down.

Edit: Izakaya Mew looked promising until I realized they aren't open for lunch on weekends.

If I'm up there and need to eat I usually go to Sapporo for ramen at 152 w 49th

Quixzlizx

If I'm up there and need to eat I usually go to Sapporo for ramen at 152 w 49th

If anyone is interested in Chinese spicy food I highly recommend Xian famous foods on 33rd street. The lamb burger is amazing.

Both of these sound great, although I think they'd both be tight on my schedule since I'm walking.

Xian is actually E 23rd according to Google Maps, unless there's another location :p

meow

Both of these sound great, although I think they'd both be tight on my schedule since I'm walking.

Xian is actually E 23rd according to Google Maps, unless there's another location :p
There are multiple Xi'an, there's definitely one on 34th (I think the lamb is the most popular, but personally my favorite are the tingly beef noodles). BCD tofu house is good (though might be a longer wait), woorijip is fast and supposedly good. If you go a little farther, Oaxaca Taqueria is really good, as is Made Nice.

Alternatively you could go straight from penn station up to times square, since that's where you're meeting anyway. Then you're close to hells kitchen + the various ramen shops (totto is my favorite, I like the one on 52nd best), though apparently it's very easy to get a seat for one at ippudo, which might be worth it. There's another Oaxaca closer to times square. Pure Thai Cookhouse is very good, too.

Jhoan

For cheap food that provides bang for the buck, You can't go wrong with Go! Go! Curry!, Woorijip is pretty solid too as I've been there a handful of times with friends, and Halal Guys; only get this if and only if you're out of options. I wouldn't recommend Halal Guys on a random visit otherwise. I think it's best enjoyed after a night of drinking.

There's also a food complex in K-Town that has a bunch of different things in one. It's closer to 6th but I forgot the name of it. My old professor took me K Town Chicken and Hof and swears it's the best Korean friend chicken place in the city. I was inclined to believe him because it was pretty damn good! I've never had Totto Ramen or any of the other places other people have mentioned but they sound great.

took my brother to try halal guys last night and i told him too late that to go easy with the hot sauce. mans was sweating bullets while eating, he got half way through before he tapped out and threw it out lmfaoo

commish

took my brother to try halal guys last night and i told him too late that to go easy with the hot sauce. mans was sweating bullets while eating, he got half way through before he tapped out and threw it out lmfaoo

Back when I used to go there, they used to just drench your order with white/hot sauce (I think they might put it on the side now). If you were caught unaware, there's not much you can do.

Jhoan

Yup, I learned this huge mistake once when I drowned an order of chicken over rice in white/hot sauce after a GAF meet up. I got home to eat and I couldn't breathe for shit: it was my literal moment in hell at 4AM and I like spicy food up to a certain extent. The worst part was that there was no milk in the fridge! No amount of water that I drank fixed it. I had to throw it out unfortunately.

commish said:
Back when I used to go there, they used to just drench your order with white/hot sauce (I think they might put it on the side now). If you were caught unaware, there's not much you can do.
Yup, the sauces are on the side these days and you can add as little/much as you want of it to your heart's content these days along with BBQ sauce.

Quixzlizx

There are multiple Xi'an, there's definitely one on 34th (I think the lamb is the most popular, but personally my favorite are the tingly beef noodles). BCD tofu house is good (though might be a longer wait), woorijip is fast and supposedly good. If you go a little farther, Oaxaca Taqueria is really good, as is Made Nice.

Alternatively you could go straight from penn station up to times square, since that's where you're meeting anyway. Then you're close to hells kitchen + the various ramen shops (totto is my favorite, I like the one on 52nd best), though apparently it's very easy to get a seat for one at ippudo, which might be worth it. There's another Oaxaca closer to times square. Pure Thai Cookhouse is very good, too.

For cheap food that provides bang for the buck, You can't go wrong with Go! Go! Curry!, Woorijip is pretty solid too as I've been there a handful of times with friends, and Halal Guys; only get this if and only if you're out of options. I wouldn't recommend Halal Guys on a random visit otherwise. I think it's best enjoyed after a night of drinking.

There's also a food complex in K-Town that has a bunch of different things in one. It's closer to 6th but I forgot the name of it. My old professor took me K Town Chicken and Hof and swears it's the best Korean friend chicken place in the city. I was inclined to believe him because it was pretty damn good! I've never had Totto Ramen or any of the other places other people have mentioned but they sound great.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It seems like a lot of them are focused in Koreatown, so I think I'll just head that way and grab what strikes my fancy at the time.

Yup, I learned this huge mistake once when I drowned an order of chicken over rice in white/hot sauce after a GAF meet up. I got home to eat and I couldn't breathe for shit: it was my literal moment in hell at 4AM and I like spicy food up to a certain extent. The worst part was that there was no milk in the fridge! No amount of water that I drank fixed it. I had to throw it out unfortunately.

lol i just put a tiny bit of it and it was still too spicy, i probably just wont put any next time i go, its 2extreme4me

Top Bottom