• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Mayor de Blasio will propose a tax on the rich to help fix the problem-plagued subway system.

The tax on wealthy New Yorkers, which requires approval in Albany, would generate cash for immediate subway fixes and long term improvements to the system, according to de Blasio's spokesman.

Hizzoner's proposal, which will be formally announced on Monday, comes after weeks of fighting with Gov. Cuomo, who wants the city to pick up half the tab for an $836 million subway rescue plan. De Blasio has balked at that request.

The tax would also cover half-priced subway and bus fares for low-income New Yorkers, a proposal advocates have been pushing despite both the city and state's refusal to pay.

De Blasio has pushed taxes on the wealthy before — an income tax to fund pre-K and a "mansion tax" to fund affordable housing — but none of the proposals have survived Albany.

Jhoan

^^Yeah...I don't see that getting approved by state lawmakers in Albany especially with Cuomo around. Republicans are definitely going to vote against it. The MTA funding blame game is getting ridiculous with the media further having a field day obscuring the facts. Plus de Blasio's proposals have been pitiful. Does anyone really want a trolley to alleviate transportation woes or more water taxis?

I have to wonder what de Blasio's re-election campaign slogan is going to be this time around. I dunno if he delivered on his whole Tale of Two Cities promise because his push for affordable housing has been hit or miss in many communities. Regardless of the fact, de Blasio has no real competition so he's going to steamroll this election. In fact, he recently took 2.5 million dollars of taxpayer money for his campaign:

[de Blasio] was the only mayoral candidate so far to be approved of matching funds through the city's $6 to $1 matching program which allows candidates to earn up to $1,050 in public funds per small donation, once candidates show they've raised more than $250,000 from 1,000 small contributors in all five boroughs.

This election cycle de Blasio took in half a million dollars in funds from fundraisers including $68,750 from WeWork Executive Arana Hankin, $56,030 from Suri Kasirer of Kasirer Consulting, $44,940 from James Capalino of Capalino & Company and $30,100 from Eugene Schneur of developer Omni New York, records show.

Former City Councilman Sal Albanese, State Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis and Eliseo Santos also applied but didn't raise enough to qualify.

De Blasio opponent Albanese, who raised $124,124, according to city records, said granting de Blasio $2.5 million more in public funds wasn't fair.

Link

Also we're getting five more medical marijuana dispensaries across the city:

The state announced Tuesday that NY Canna, Fiorello Pharmaceuticals, Valley Agriceuticals, Citiva Medical and PalliaTech NY can open both manufacturing outposts and shops across the state.

"The addition of these registered organizations will make it easier for patients across the state to obtain medical marijuana, improve the affordability of medical marijuana products through the introduction of new competition, and increase the variety of medical marijuana products available to patients," Zucker said.

Since authorizing medicinal marijuana in 2015, the state has also expanded to include home delivery and allowing nurse practitioners and physician assistants to certify patients.

Link

Jhoan

Video of the subway in 1986.

My initial thought viewing this was, there was a K line? Followed by, wow the C trains in the video are probably still in service today lol.

Yup, those two types of trains are still in service today sans graffiti. The A uses the C cars from time to time as well as the N, R, Q, J, and Z trains. I think it's going to be another couple of years before the modern cars with automated announcements and open ended cars roll out to all the lines.

It's amazing how 31 years later, the only thing that's really changed in the Times Square station is the rise of Helvetica as the MTA's choice of typeface and it's way more crowded. Otherwise, it looks nearly identical to today.

^^Oh yeah, that right! IIRC, the term "straphanger" derived from those cars because they had straps on much like the old buses did when I was growing up.

Looks like our esteemed president will be visiting the city next week. Hopefully nowhere near my work. Last time he made it difficult to back into my building.

The A trains and some C trains date from the 64 Worlds Fair in 1964.

Damn, I knew they were old, but I figured early 80s not 60s.

Video of the subway in 1986.

My initial thought viewing this was, there was a K line? Followed by, wow the C trains in the video are probably still in service today lol.

Really looks like nothing has really changed.

Fuchsdh

Looks like our esteemed president will be visiting the city next week. Hopefully nowhere near my work. Last time he made it difficult to back into my building.

Damn, I knew they were old, but I figured early 80s not 60s.

Really looks like nothing has really changed.

Less graffiti, different typography and turnstiles :)

Which reminds me, if you're a history buff and have never been, the Transit Museum in downtown Brooklyn is a pretty good little museum. It's a lot of fun going through the old subway cars they keep down there.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Less graffiti, different typography and turnstiles :)

Which reminds me, if you're a history buff and have never been, the Transit Museum in downtown Brooklyn is a pretty good little museum. It's a lot of fun going through the old subway cars they keep down there.

What I love most about it is each subway car has ads from that era.

Vyse24

For anyone that's ever been there, would there be any good reasons for someone to go to The Brooklyn Strategist solo? I've never been, but I feel like if I go by myself, there really wouldn't be anything to do except loiter.

Jhoan

For anyone that's ever been there, would there be any good reasons for someone to go to The Brooklyn Strategist solo? I've never been, but I feel like if I go by myself, there really wouldn't be anything to do except loiter.

Never been to the The Brooklyn Strategist (I've been to The Uncommons though). Alcotholic used to work at The Strategist before he moved to Portland, OR. If you mention to the manager that Will recommended the place, I'm sure he'll hook you up with a discount. I should find that post and add it to the OP for future reference.

That being said, board games are a very social thing (unless you play solitaire) so I'm pretty sure if you ask of people if they mind letting one more person join in, I think most people would oblige depending what kind of game. Either that, or you should find out if a meetup group is happening there so you won't have to go alone. It's my understanding that The Brooklyn Strategist has all kinds of weekly events as well so that's another reason to go. I would check their social media for details on upcoming events.

On a similar note, we're getting to the end of the summer so I'm thinking we should squeeze in one more big GAF meet up for some time next month before NYCC/it gets colder. GAF meet ups at NYCC are always logistically impossible to organize because everyone is all over the place seeing different things and/or going for work purposes.

It would be fun to do a DnD game possibly for a smaller meetup at say Bryant Park. My DnD group more or less disbanded due to scheduling conflicts and interest waning after the initial game so we never finished our campaign. It was a huge bummer.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Never been to the The Brooklyn Strategist (I've been to The Uncommons though). Alcotholic used to work at The Strategist before he moved to Portland, OR. If you mention to the manager that Will recommended the place, I'm sure he'll hook you up with a discount. I should find that post and add it to the OP for future reference.

That being said, board games are a very social thing (unless you play solitaire) so I'm pretty sure if you ask of people if they mind letting one more person join in, I think most people would oblige depending what kind of game. Either that, or you should find out if a meetup group is happening there so you won't have to go alone. It's my understanding that The Brooklyn Strategist has all kinds of weekly events as well so that's another reason to go. I would check their social media for details on upcoming events.

On a similar note, we're getting to the end of the summer so I'm thinking we should squeeze in one more big GAF meet up for some time next month before NYCC/it gets colder. GAF meet ups at NYCC are always logistically impossible to organize because everyone is all over the place seeing different things and/or going for work purposes.

It would be fun to do a DnD game possibly for a smaller meetup at say Bryant Park. My DnD group more or less disbanded due to scheduling conflicts and interest waning after the initial game so we never finished our campaign. It was a huge bummer.

A few of us talked about trying out some DnD but it never went anywhere.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
vBRWul1.jpg

Vyse24

Ah alright. Wish I knew before I went earlier today. Didn't really have the option of asking if I can join a game as they were doing a Summer camp thing. And I learned that they have the playing with strangers thing every Tuesday and Saturday night. I may go there one night if I have no plans for the night after.

Penguin

Jhoan

The Adventure Zone has been tiding me over with DnD stuff. Although I've zoned out a bit during the last few episodes (pun not intended). DnD with booze and snacks is quite fun. Drinking booze in a public is an interesting challenge though. Good thing metal flasks and Styrofoam cups exist for a reason. ;)

Jhoan

I'm familiar with the IBM Atrium because the Social Anxiety and Shyness meetup group has meet ups/group therapy sessions there every so often. I'm surprised Sony Wonder is still around. That place used to be like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory to my brothers and I as kids.

number47

I remember that discussion. DnD games are tougher to organize due to all the components, character classes, and whatnot involved. A man can dream.
Being a dm, knowing all the rules.Story crap Map creation. And it plays out over a lot of hours. not fun without probably five consistent people to come. over three weeks. Shit plays longer than monopoly.
Ask a hobby store for a spot, or use one of those public spaces in Manhattan, but I think the drinking part would be difficult. I'm not here.

Penguin

Being a dm, knowing all the rules.Story crap Map creation. And it plays out over a lot of hours. not fun without probably five consistent people to come. over three weeks. Shit plays longer than monopoly.
Ask a hobby store for a spot, or use one of those public spaces in Manhattan, but I think the drinking part would be difficult. I'm not here.

You're not where?

Jhoan

You're not where?

I think he meant that he's out of town at the moment or else he would have been down to DM. I also think that he's a booze baron who's mastered the art of public drinking in plain sight.

That being said, I definitely don't see the campaign getting finished in one sitting due to the emergent gameplay nature of DnD. I agree that it would have to completed in a series of back to back weekly meet ups or else interest is going to wane over time as people's schedules get busy and change of seasons.

It's actually not as complicated as it seems. Yeah, there are stats to micromanage and inventory to keep track of but with a good DM and one or two players familiar with the mechanics, it's a good time. DnD is arguably like theatre or improv comedy.

Quick

Banned
Hey guys, I'll be in NYC for two days during Labour Day weekend and was wondering how the busy the city typically is during that time.

I remember being in the city on July 4th and it was quiet (is less busy the better term?). Curious if it's going to be about the same.

I'll have a day to myself where I might be seeing a friend for lunch, but I'm pretty much expecting to spend the day solo. Then the next day with family.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think he meant that he's out of town at the moment or else he would have been down to DM. I also think that he's a booze baron who's mastered the art of public drinking in plain sight.

That being said, I definitely don't see the campaign getting finished in one sitting due to the emergent gameplay nature of DnD. I agree that it would have to completed in a series of back to back weekly meet ups or else interest is going to wane over time as people's schedules get busy and change of seasons.

It's actually not as complicated as it seems. Yeah, there are stats to micromanage and inventory to keep track of but with a good DM and one or two players familiar with the mechanics, it's a good time. DnD is arguably like theatre or improv comedy.

It looks like fun, it's just a matter of finding a space that doesn't suck (I think).

Hey guys, I'll be in NYC for two days during Labour Day weekend and was wondering how the busy the city typically is during that time.

I remember being in the city on July 4th and it was quiet (is less busy the better term?). Curious if it's going to be about the same.

I'll have a day to myself where I might be seeing a friend for lunch, but I'm pretty much expecting to spend the day solo. Then the next day with family.

Everyone's probably going to the beach that day, so it might not be too bad. Then again, this is NYC and that's relative.

Depends really. NYC is a big place. Where I am at (West Village section of Manhattan) it'll be a ghost town during Labor Day for sure. People who don't have to work just take off to a local beach or park. I suppose the shopping areas/centers around the city will be crowded with shoppers/tourists.

Seigyoku

HELLO NYC GAF!

(I was not on GAF when I last lived here.)

I was born here. I have lived here several times. Why am I turning into a pile of sweaty goo within three seconds of stepping outside? I expect this crap in TX and at Disney World. Pfft.

I've still got to do all the residency stuff, but bizarrely looking up the requirements for a NY drivers license they demand you surrender your other state license, which seems really weird to me.

Actually, that's pretty normal everywhere I ever looked up. I've actually only had a TX license my entire life, even when I lived in CA (got a California ID) and here (I honestly cannot recall what I did for an ID. I know I had student ones.) I'm actually being tripped up right now getting a NY one because they want my SS card and I have, AGAIN, no clue where it is, through no fault of my own. Yay. I get to go apply for my fourth one now. Out of ten in your lifetime. THREE OF WHICH WILL HAVE BEEN IN THE LAST 10 YEARS. Like seriously, one time I was super responsible and stored it in a fireproof safe. Someone broke into the apartment and took our computers, Wii, PSP/DS, games and... the safe.

Anyway, NYC GAF has been great about doing meet ups like the day I've been flying out of NYC when I was up here visiting or seeing Star Wars movies, so I'm super excited to see how many times I will miss meet ups due to them happening when I go to Disney, or visit parents or fly to Japan etc etc etc. :D

Quick

Banned
Everyone's probably going to the beach that day, so it might not be too bad. Then again, this is NYC and that's relative.

Depends really. NYC is a big place. Where I am at (West Village section of Manhattan) it'll be a ghost town during Labor Day for sure. People who don't have to work just take off to a local beach or park. I suppose the shopping areas/centers around the city will be crowded with shoppers/tourists.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm finalizing my itinerary, but I'm probably going to keep it loose on my solo day. Figure I'll hop onto the subway and go up/down Manhattan. Family and I will be hitting up the tourist spots on the second day.

Speaking of the subway, it sucks that there's no unlimited day/weekend passes available unless I missed it.

So I've been working at Century 21, the retail store not real estate, while I'm finishing up college, and man I've had it with this place.

I didn't want to be this disgruntled retail employee that goes online and blasts the place, but shit man, don't support the company. Like most retail places, they don't treat the employees like humans, and try to bully people into quitting since we have a union and it's hard for them to fire people just cause.

This place is also has rat problem, that they know of for like a month now, and have not even taken steps to solve it. Not even place rat traps.

I work at the Wall Street location. The main store.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So I've been working at Century 21, the retail store not real estate, while I'm finishing up college, and man I've had it with this place.

I didn't want to be this disgruntled retail employee that goes online and blasts the place, but shit man, don't support the company. Like most retail places, they don't treat the employees like humans, and try to bully people into quitting since we have a union and it's hard for them to fire people just cause.

This place is also has rat problem, that they know of for like a month now, and have not even taken steps to solve it. Not even place rat traps.

Wow, my last retail job was at C21. At the WS location too. I was also working there when I first got to college.

That place is trash. I felt like a criminal every time I had to go through the security checkpoint to be padded down. Even to use the bathroom. Beyond ridiculous.

I remember one time one of them gave me grief for carrying my earphones on me. I didn't stand around to listen since I had to really pee. Dude followed me into the bathroom to get my name to write me up.

I never gave a shit while working there. They would ask me to stay longer to help close and I would tell them straight up no.

Fuck that place.

Wow, my last retail job was at C21. At the WS location too. I was also working there when I first got to college.

That place is trash. I felt like a criminal every time I had to go through the security checkpoint to be padded down. Even to use the bathroom. Beyond ridiculous.

I remember one time one of them gave me grief for carrying my earphones on me. I didn't stand around to listen since I had to really pee. Dude followed me into the bathroom to get my name to write me up.

I never gave a shit while working there. They would ask me to stay longer to help close and I would tell them straight up no.

Fuck that place.
It's probably worse nowadays if you can believe it. Right now they're trying strong arm to quit by fucking with my schedule without telling me before hand. I'm gonna contact my union rep and give me a head ache before I quit or get fired.

Jhoan

Seigyoku said:
HELLO NYC GAF!

(I was not on GAF when I last lived here.)

I was born here. I have lived here several times. Why am I turning into a pile of sweaty goo within three seconds of stepping outside? I expect this crap in TX and at Disney World. Pfft.

Anyway, NYC GAF has been great about doing meet ups like the day I've been flying out of NYC when I was up here visiting or seeing Star Wars movies, so I'm super excited to see how many times I will miss meet ups due to them happening when I go to Disney, or visit parents or fly to Japan etc etc etc. :D
As a New Yorker, you should know the answer: because summer means that humidity here sucks and all the tall buildings magnify the heat.

That sucks to hear. Hopefully the stars align for a date that works best a bunch of people. Even then, it's always win-lose for someone can't make it. Nothing has really been discussed in depth as for the moment there's a few ideas on paper.

How funny, I was reminded of you when I went to shop there last month. I felt annoyed being there after so damn long without stepping foot to buy clothes at a retail store; it took me two hours to find 2 things that I like. Never again. I hate the idea of being watched and when I used to go the bathroom before they renovated the place, the surveillance camera room in that corridor looked creepy as sin. The bathroom being in the basement adjacent to the women's bathroom was too claustrophobic. The push for customers to rate cashiers after every transaction screams toxic retail environment.

Every time I've been there, I always felt like I was being watched which is why I stopped going there in the first place. The cashiers have a monotone voice. Even my older brother loathes the place because he used to work at the Century 21 in Bergen Mall in New Jersey nearly 10 years ago. He quit only a few months into it because he couldn't stand it and one of our closest friends that he worked turned out to be a slacker who would go off to the bathroom to talk to his then girlfriend.

I also remember having to get the receipt verified before leaving the store and bags going off thanks to security tags. Now I now why the store doesn't have any changing rooms: because people can easily take off the security tags and walk out with clothes.

This one time I saw a big cavalcade of security guards hauling away a girl who was caught stealing stuff to the security room and my brother left the DS Phat in the store way back when. That store has no soul since the renovation and it never did in the first place but I used to shop there quite a lot. Funny enough, one of the girls who lives in my block used to work at the store on 66th and Broadway. She always looked miserable. Sucks to hear about the rat problem but then again, I'm suprised at all.

Oxn

I work kinda of close by. I use to go there often to find some good deals, on dress shirts and stuff.

Havent been over a year. Its just too overcrowded with tourist.

Shanlei91

Anyone know a place in the city that sells this specific kind of Goya rice box - Congri?

GJyX3Km.jpg

Outside of visiting family for holidays, the only reason I ever go to New Jersey is to get this. (alternative is making from scratch or paying 4x the price online) I'd like to change that.

Jhoan

Anyone know a place in the city that sells this specific kind of Goya rice box - Congri?

GJyX3Km.jpg

Outside of visiting family for holidays, the only reason I ever go to New Jersey is to get this. (alternative is making from scratch or paying 4x the price online) I'd like to change that.

I've never seen this before because at home we don't cook with pre-packed rice/beans. My mom would scoff at you and tell you to make it from scratch and don't use canned beans.I would think that you can find it closer to The Heights such as in C-Town or Bravo supermarkets as well as indie supermarkets such as Tu Pais.

Which reminds me that I need to make a black bean moro myself tonight before the family returns. 5 star meal tonight to celebrate my last day of freedom before the family returns. I think I'm going to need another vacation from my mom before the year's end.

Shanlei91

I've never seen this before because at home we don't cook with pre-packed rice/beans. My mom would scoff at you and tell you to make it from scratch and don't use canned beans.I would think that you can find it closer to The Heights such as in C-Town or Bravo supermarkets as well as indie supermarkets such as Tu Pais.

Which reminds me that I need to make a black bean moro myself tonight before the family returns. 5 star meal tonight to celebrate my last day of freedom before the family returns. I think I'm going to need another vacation from my mom before the year's end.

Cook from scratch? Ain't got time for that! C-town was the first place I checked, guess I'll hit up non-chain markets. Every place I go to has every style except Congri. Only B&M store is a sole Walmart in NJ.

Haha reminds me of when I was in HS and bought a trip to Florida for my mom's birthday. She was so thrilled but it was really just so I could have the place to myself that weekend.

Penguin

Cook from scratch? Ain't got time for that! C-town was the first place I checked, guess I'll hit up non-chain markets. Every place I go to has every style except Congri. Only B&M store is a sole Walmart in NJ.

Haha reminds me of when I was in HS and bought a trip to Florida for my mom's birthday. She was so thrilled but it was really just so I could have the place to myself that weekend.

And then you showered a lot!

Jhoan

Says the single, middle class milennial who's spoiled by Amazon Prime same day delivery. If it's one thing my mom taught me so that I can live on my own, it's how to cook and clean to a lesser extent. AFAIK Union City has a pretty sizable Cuban community so if you're willing to go there, that's another safe bet.

If I can do that again, I would send her to Cuba for a week as a Christmas gift so she can get to know her Cuban father's roots or on a winter cruise in January. This is something I need to discuss with my brothers but knowing her, she would want either money or the latest iPhone as a present. Otherwise, she has everything that she wants.

Penguin said:

I see what you did there.

Shanlei91

Says the single, middle class milennial who's spoiled by Amazon Prime same day delivery. If it's one thing my mom taught me so that I can live on my own, it's how to cook and clean to a lesser extent. AFAIK Union City has a pretty sizable Cuban community so if you're willing to go there, that's another safe bet.

If I can do that again, I would send her to Cuba for a week as a Christmas gift so she can get to know her Cuban father's roots or on a winter cruise in January. This is something I need to discuss with my brothers but knowing her, she would want either money or the latest iPhone as a present. Otherwise, she has everything that she wants.

Hahaha I grew up in Union City - that's basically where I go for all my empanada / churro / lechon / congri / cheap spanish food needs. I do know how to cook but $2 for a box I can just put on the stovetop for 10mins is such a time saver. I'm not a full blown millenial unless I'm chugging Soylent 2.0...even when I did buy Soylent to try I ended up making rice pudding with it.

cCvFGdz.gif

So I am leaving C21. They're incredibly adamant about having me prove that I am unavailable on the new hours they want me to work.

Unless I find work right away, I have a lot of free time since I just finished school. Going to spend the free time practicing photography and cinematography. You guys know any locations that are interesting to shoot?

Jhoan

So I am leaving C21. They're incredibly adamant about having me prove that I am unavailable on the new hours they want me to work.

Unless I find work right away, I have a lot of free time since I just finished school. Going to spend the free time practicing photography and cinematography. You guys know any locations that are interesting to shoot?

That's a load of crap but leaving the wonderful world of retail behind is for the best. Are you transferring to a senior CUNY college or you going to take time off?

I was in Red Hook for the first time last Sunday and liked the area a lot. I was at the Valentino Pier hanging out there for a while and enjoying the view. The warehouses in the area put Williamsburg's last remaining warehouses to shame. I also think the area near the Pulaski Bridge in Greenpoint seems pretty interesting and anywhere where the BQE extends. It ultimately depends on what kind of stuff you're looking to shoot though. I'm a sucker for warehouses, graffiti, and urban decay.

For any comic book fans out there, this might be of interest to check out:

That's a load of crap but leaving the wonderful world of retail behind is for the best. Are you transferring to a senior CUNY college or you going to take time off?

Taking the next semester off so I can find some work. Maybe get some experience in film or TV. If I can't get a foot in the industry, I'm going to Brooklyn College or City.

Top Bottom