• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD Officer Is Charged in Arrest of Man Who Tried to Film Him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
If they hear nothing to hide...

HotHamBoy

"The act of recording police starts from the belief that every officer is doing something wrong and that's insulting to all police officers."

Hey, cops.

Brown people say "Hi"

Condom

Can't body cams actually help the police making their case? Only seeing it as something negative for the officers wearing such a cam is quite suspicious.

....starts from the belief that every officer is doing something wrong and that's insulting to all police officers

Yea, that's not a slippery slope or anything.

What if someone is just watching a police officer from across the street? If the officer feels harassed, can he arrst that person for no reason too?

Fuck that.

That cop abused his authority and should lose his job. He's not fit to be a police officer anywhere.

GhaleonEB

Filming isn't escalation. If anything it's a preventative measure to try and discourage actual escalation, lest it be published. And regardless, "abusing your rights" isn't a thing.

Unexpected but great outcome to a pretty clear case of an officer abusing power and lying about it. I honestly thought he'd get out of it. Thanks for the update, GK86. It's nice to get some rolling closure (or not) on these cases over the years.

Can't body cams actually help the police making their case? Only seeing it as something negative for the officers wearing such a cam is quite suspicious.

In the minds of people who are framed as unquestioningly righteous and always proper, the suggestion of being watched or filmed comes across to them as mistrust/insulting. "What you don't think I can do my job? The one I put MY LIFE ON THE LINE FOR?!, Cops need babysitters now? etc." It's the same place the mentality of animosity toward Internal Affairs comes from with some people in the business. Not only are there many invested in that singly heroic outlook the mainstream has for officers, there are those in high and low places that rely on that image to continue abuses of power and bigotry that breed in their ranks.

The Kree

Banned
"The act of recording police starts from the belief that every officer is doing something wrong and that's insulting to all police officers."

This is priceless. No self awareness at all.

Heard an interview with a black police cheif on NPR awhile ago. I'll try and find the interview. He literally said the stats show that overwhelmingly body camera footage is used to show that police did nothing wrong. No one hears those stats though because it would make it clear that police unions, chiefs, and sheriffs that are against body cameras are protecting bad cops.

Edit: Here it is. http://www.npr.org/2016/07/21/486892032/an-african-american-police-officer-on-his-choice-to-be-a-voice-for-change
And so body cameras are so important. And it is amazing that the same police agencies and organizations that push against body cameras would go at a crime scene and look for any video that they have to solve the crime to tell the true picture and the true story. And then the information shows, overwhelmingly - one chief of police study showed that in - over 80 percent of the time when cameras are involved, it exonerated the cops who did the right thing. So the tool is a good tool, but law enforcement culture is afraid of change. And it's afraid of anything that will scrutinize their action and behavior.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
If you dont want to feel "antagonized" by citizens protecting other citizens by recording you doing your job, I dunno, maybe have your union allow the police force to be equipped with bodycams. No, wait, y'all dont want that either. I wonder why.

Makonero

Heard an interview with a black police cheif on NPR awhile ago. I'll try and find the interview. He literally said the stats show that overwhelmingly body camera footage is used to show that police did nothing wrong. No one hears those stats though because it would make it clear that police unions, chiefs, and sheriffs that are against body cameras are protecting bad cops.

Edit: Here it is. http://www.npr.org/2016/07/21/486892032/an-african-american-police-officer-on-his-choice-to-be-a-voice-for-change

Yeah, body cams would exonerate cops that legit are just doing their jobs. It's crazy, but those with power always resist any kind of accountability for their actions.

Dali

Says the maximum is 4 years for the felonies? What's the minimum? I'm sure that's what he'll get for all charges and the sentences will be concurrent. He'll probably be put away for a year, which I think is generally the min for felonies, and get out and probably get back on the force like nothing happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom